3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'd be interested in finding out which coaches would and wouldn't pull the goalie in that situation.
Husso was playing fine until the Fox goal. Suddenly you blink and you're down 6-2 with about 10 mins of game time left.
Is it worth pulling your goalie or just ride the game out and address everything post-match?
I said it in the GDT but I hope Husso had sunscreen on his neck... like SPF 100 because that lamp was on the whole 3rd

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Seider looked big and slow last night for the Wings....and their defense was putrid once Rangers turned up the heat . Rasmussen took Trouba right out of his skates on one play....nice move by a big man .

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not for nothing husso had a 940 save percentage going into that game. That’s a heck of a goalie they got to in that third period. The Fox goal was a softee and the Wheels came off for them after that one. But we really played a complete game.

Really liked the lines. Vesey and Kravtsov gave the top two lines just a solid third guy and really that’s what they both need.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Especially Trouba... he backs in so far now and just gives away the blueline... then the high slot on his way to the crease

Like OK, if your hurt you are but you can't back in and be literally 2 ft in front of Shesty giving away all sorts of passing lanes

Sit out a game(s) and get healthy because that shit won't fly
this is a team wide issue.

I die inside when there is backpressure from the forwards, we have the numbers, yet the defense still back up to the dots. We allow opposing players too much space and freedom

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Shesterkin is upside down on these almost every night. It’s probably my biggest concern. He needs to get his shit together.

He’s really only had 3 what you’d consider 3 good games all season. Tampa Colorado and Philly games. The rest? Bad to average at best.

But he’s our best player and without him even if we’re improved and frankly every metric says we are playing way better than last year, we’re not going anywhere. He’s too good to play the way he has this year.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Shesterkin is upside down on these almost every night. It’s probably my biggest concern. He needs to get his shit together.

He’s really only had 3 what you’d consider 3 good games all season. Tampa Colorado and Philly games. The rest? Bad to average at best.

But he’s our best player and without him even if we’re improved and frankly every metric says we are playing way better than last year, we’re not going anywhere. He’s too good to play the way he has this year.

Feel the same way. He shouldn't need 40+ SOG to have a good game

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The weird thing is, I don’t remember it being like this when he was in Russia. Wouldn’t his SKA super teams give up like 15 shots a game on average?
Correct. and the knock on him was 'his team is great and no crazy SOG, so can't go by his amazing stats'.

I think the difference here is that the 15-20 shots he faces include 4-5 high danger slot chances/royal roaders which he struggles to properly track with the lighter workload. In Russia it was more likely he'd see far fewer of these high dangers on a nightly basis due to talent discrepancy between his team and the opposition and the overall lower level of talent in the KHL in general compared to the NHL. This is probably something new for him, and much like the playoffs last year, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Correct. and the knock on him was 'his team is great and no crazy SOG, so can't go by his amazing stats'.

I think the difference here is that the 15-20 shots he faces include 4-5 high danger slot chances/royal roaders which he struggles to properly track with the lighter workload. In Russia it was more likely he'd see far fewer of these high dangers on a nightly basis due to talent discrepancy between his team and the opposition and the overall lower level of talent in the KHL in general compared to the NHL. This is probably something new for him, and much like the playoffs last year, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

The league median skill and talent level is really high, and it gets better every year. And there is so much data and info at your disposal these days that your strengths and weaknesses are quickly quantified and exploited.

Reactions: egelband and romba

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not for nothing husso had a 940 save percentage going into that game. That’s a heck of a goalie they got to in that third period. The Fox goal was a softee and the Wheels came off for them after that one. But we really played a complete game.

Really liked the lines. Vesey and Kravtsov gave the top two lines just a solid third guy and really that’s what they both need.

If all they need is Vesey and Kravtsov then dare I say that fixes our depth problems?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
It should be pretty clear that JG is at his best as a high energy, physical guy, ideal for the fourth line. He can play a simple game there, which suits him. Why mess with a good thing?
Yes because certainly neither of those two lines could use a high energy physical guy. Those players are exclusively for getting 8 minutes a night on the fourth line.

If all they need is Vesey and Kravtsov then dare I say that fixes our depth problems?
It's one game...

Gallant’s fault for the win- 100% his fault!!!

Love how the team looked energized, in the game and fought back during this game. I’ve felt this coming for a while and am glad the hockey gods finally gave us some breaks.

That being said, mixing up the forward lines was a brilliant coaching move because the lines last night eliminated the two useless lines they had been putting on the ice. Really glad the lineup looked so much more complete. Still don’t see Vesey as a top line guy but that can be fixed with time. Well done to the staff for figuring this out!
One game vs Detroit vs YEARS OF DATA SHOWING HOW GALLANT IS NOT A GOOD COACH

Sit this one out Gerrard.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Chytil, Kakko and Lafreniere together is they cycle the puck in the offensive zone really really well. What that does is create momentum or if the momentum is already going when they step on the ice it keeps it going. Last night the 4th line was keeping it going too.

.....and it's like Gauthier really needed some time in Hartford because he's been much better since he was recalled than I've seen up until now. Three big bodies on the 4th--Goodrow, Blais and now Gauthier who can skate and have some level of skill. No doubt that Vesey and Kravtsov are being carried on the top two lines but that was okay last night.....the thing is seeing if they can sustain that play. It's the best game Vitali has played this year. That said both Mika and Panarin are good enough on their own that they can carry other players.

I also liked Hajek in this one. Basically strong, steady D. The third pairing looked good last night.

But it's still one game.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I fully expect him to get hot and go on a run but I also don’t expect the team to really be able to do so until he actually does. You can’t win many games with the goaltending we’re getting. The bruins game was a really good example of losing a game automatically when a goalie gives up two low danger goals. The islander game is another example of a game where you basically needed your goalie to make a save at some point and he never find. 4 goals on 5 high danger chances. 5 is really low you played good defense if that’s all you gave up. Should never be 4 goals on 5 High danger chances

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Roman Cechmanek went from a Jennings winner and Vezina finalist to out of the league in under one full season so we forget sometimes how sporadic non- Henrik goaltenders can be at times. .925 and 1.83 to unemployed

Edit- I guess he wasn’t a vezina finalist that season. 20 years on the memory gets shoddy

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Roman Cechmanek went from a Jennings winner and Vezina finalist to out of the league in under one full season so we forget sometimes how sporadic non- Henrik goaltenders can be at times. .925 and 1.83 to unemployed

Edit- I guess he wasn’t a vezina finalist that season. 20 years on the memory gets shoddy

Shesterkin is too talented. The fluke is right now. His whole body of work is alot closer to the vezina winner than whatever this is. It’s a lack of confidence right now. He’s getting beat clean, he’s moving too much, he’s just a tick behind on everything. He’ll get to where he needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad