Post-Game Talk: Wing

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
The first thing I immediately noticed was the Laf-Chytil-Kakko line played with a lot more pace and decisiveness than when they've played on separate lines. They played heavy on the puck. Maybe there really is something to them deferring too much to the vets when on their lines. I guess we'll see with more games going forward. Also nice to see that they had the most even-strength ice time amongst forwards.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
My god could we overreact from 1 period against a team that is supposed to be in the lottery by the end of the season vs what we have seen for over a month so far? If the team can start playing like they did in the third more often then 1 period every 6 games then maybe the doom and gloom would go away...
Yeah and until the third period I thought we kinda sucked.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Gallant’s fault for the win- 100% his fault!!!

Love how the team looked energized, in the game and fought back during this game. I’ve felt this coming for a while and am glad the hockey gods finally gave us some breaks.

That being said, mixing up the forward lines was a brilliant coaching move because the lines last night eliminated the two useless lines they had been putting on the ice. Really glad the lineup looked so much more complete. Still don’t see Vesey as a top line guy but that can be fixed with time. Well done to the staff for figuring this out!

Reactions: skipmowerman

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Why the f*** shouldn't he? He's been playing great and what the f*** would it hurt at this point?
It should be pretty clear that JG is at his best as a high energy, physical guy, ideal for the fourth line. He can play a simple game there, which suits him. Why mess with a good thing?

Reactions: bhamill and Fitzy

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Just a reminder that a good portion of this board over the last year have contended:
-Chytil should be moved. He sucks.
-Kakko is a bust
-K'Andre is better than Fox. (please watch some of these other "Norris" caliber D more often, not just the highlights. Fox is as good an all around player than all of them and not just based on last night)
-Hajek is the worst player in the NHL
FWIW, I still contend that Trouba is grossly overpaid as a second pairing D.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Honestly, last night just points to two things that really are indisputable:

Ryan Lindgren is anchor on this team. I don't care what stats say, etc... If he's not back there everything goes awry.

The longer Chytil plays this season without getting hurt the more it's going to cost to sign him. I'd hammer that shit out right now and figure everything else out later.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I've been a big critic of Gauthier. But that was the best 4th line we've had in a long time. Big heavy line that can punish the other team. But can also skate. Waive Carpenter and rotate Reaves in as needed.
Kravstov looked good. We need him to succeed. He makes our depth so much better.
Let's just hope this carries over to future games.

zukeisgone

Jan 17, 2019
My god could we overreact from 1 period against a team that is supposed to be in the lottery by the end of the season vs what we have seen for over a month so far? If the team can start playing like they did in the third more often then 1 period every 6 games then maybe the doom and gloom would go away...
Red Wings look better than have in a long time….wild card not out of the question Stevie knows how to build a team

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It should be pretty clear that JG is at his best as a high energy, physical guy, ideal for the fourth line. He can play a simple game there, which suits him. Why mess with a good thing?
Correct, and Blais and Goodrow are not offensive black holes either, they complement each other nicely. Though aside from Goodrow, they may have some problems defending in their own zone if they get hemmed in a bit.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You never want to draw too many serious inferences from a single game sample.

Gauthier looked effective on the 4th line, but let's see if he can keep that up.

Vesey looked like he can be a complementary player on a scoring line.

Kid line as always had some chemistry, question is when Lafreniere finds out his real role on that line- he hasn't had nearly as much of the puck as Kakko/Chytil. I know he favors playmaking but I think he should shoot more on that line- he has the best release of the three.

And our top 4 on defense are all pretty much indispensable.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, last night just points to two things that really are indisputable:

Ryan Lindgren is anchor on this team. I don't care what stats say, etc... If he's not back there everything goes awry.

The longer Chytil plays this season without getting hurt the more it's going to cost to sign him. I'd hammer that shit out right now and figure everything else out later.
I want to write Lindy off but I am learning that I’m wrong and relationships are a thing.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Imagine how good he would be if he could only finish breakaways & one timers.
That is why we have to wait it out on that appearing at some point....trading him for a late pick is silly. We would never get a HUGE /FAST albeit snake bitten around the net so far player for 800 Grand that can move up or down the wing . If I'm the Rangers....I sign him for a longer deal before he does start scoring a few . He very well could be a low budget long term piece for us that the Pens and other teams always won Cups with .

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trouba KAM need to be better. I do not know what's going on with them.
Especially Trouba... he backs in so far now and just gives away the blueline... then the high slot on his way to the crease

Like OK, if your hurt you are but you can't back in and be literally 2 ft in front of Shesty giving away all sorts of passing lanes

Sit out a game(s) and get healthy because that shit won't fly

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad