3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The first thing I immediately noticed was the Laf-Chytil-Kakko line played with a lot more pace and decisiveness than when they've played on separate lines. They played heavy on the puck. Maybe there really is something to them deferring too much to the vets when on their lines. I guess we'll see with more games going forward. Also nice to see that they had the most even-strength ice time amongst forwards.
They absolutely defer to the the vets way too much. Laf is also better on the LW. This line needs to stay together and they need to get more minutes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Shesterkin is too talented. The fluke is right now. His whole body of work is alot closer to the vezina winner than whatever this is. It’s a lack of confidence right now. He’s getting beat clean, he’s moving too much, he’s just a tick behind on everything. He’ll get to where he needs to be.
I agree that he s a superstar goaltender but we shouldn’t expect .937 to be an average season for him

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
the lines last night should be how we roll going forward on a regular basis....would I like an upgrade on vesey? yes. but with our lack of cap space thats not going to happen

the kid line was spectacular all night

The first thing I immediately noticed was the Laf-Chytil-Kakko line played with a lot more pace and decisiveness than when they've played on separate lines. They played heavy on the puck. Maybe there really is something to them deferring too much to the vets when on their lines. I guess we'll see with more games going forward. Also nice to see that they had the most even-strength ice time amongst forwards.
ive been saying this for awhile, this is especially the case for laf

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Honestly, last night just points to two things that really are indisputable:

Ryan Lindgren is anchor on this team. I don't care what stats say, etc... If he's not back there everything goes awry.

The longer Chytil plays this season without getting hurt the more it's going to cost to sign him. I'd hammer that shit out right now and figure everything else out later.

Correct. For the cost Trouba should be moved before Lindgren. They are backing themselves into a corner though because the kids are too high upside to move. Maybe Kreider goes.

Reactions: gump116

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
My god could we overreact from 1 period against a team that is supposed to be in the lottery by the end of the season vs what we have seen for over a month so far? If the team can start playing like they did in the third more often then 1 period every 6 games then maybe the doom and gloom would go away...

Puck luck and momentum goes such a long way in this game. The Red Wings were on a back to back too. It was encouraging to finally get some bounces and to see the team much more balanced and starting to get it's rhythm back again, even if obviously there is room for improvement across the line.

Reactions: egelband

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Shesterkin is a good example about why Lundqvist is a Hall of Famer. Any given night, any NHL goalie can pitch a shutout. Any given season, any NHL goalie can have a great year. The special ones do it year in and year out. Lundqvist had 10+ straight seasons with serious Vezina consideration. You pay for their consistency, not for their peak.

Hopefully Shesterkin is just having a "slow start," but it wouldn't surprise me if he has an average year. It's the nature of the position.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly, last night just points to two things that really are indisputable:

Ryan Lindgren is anchor on this team. I don't care what stats say, etc... If he's not back there everything goes awry.

The longer Chytil plays this season without getting hurt the more it's going to cost to sign him. I'd hammer that shit out right now and figure everything else out later.
This and considerting what we pay our captain he's a freaking bargain right now.
Chytil really has turned into a legit NHL Center than can hold his own physically now to match his terrific wheels/size.
Right now he is also fitting in perfectly with Kakko and Laf considering the latter has looked lost most of the season.

Shesterkin is a good example about why Lundqvist is a Hall of Famer. Any given night, any NHL goalie can pitch a shutout. Any given season, any NHL goalie can have a great year. The special ones do it year in and year out. Lundqvist had 10+ straight seasons with serious Vezina consideration. You pay for their consistency, not for their peak.
Igor is like the kid genius in class who needs to be constantly challenged. He probably gets bored if he doesn't face 40 plus shots a game. Still not even remotely worried about him.

Deleted member 23124

Igor is like the kid genius in class who needs to be constantly challenged. He probably gets bored if he doesn't face 40 plus shots a game. Still not even remotely worried about him.
Don't forget, Henrik also seemed to like and thrive on lots of work/action.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Gallant seems to have arrived at the magic formula for this club in its current construction (line combinations and ice time). It's only one game. But the result is encouraging. Ice time was very evenly distributed in the end. Give the kids the most even strength minutes while the vets dominate PP time. You have the kids driving play and momentum for the other lines at even strength and let the PP guys do their thing. It's the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No reason the kid line can't be the number one line right now (yeah I said it) especially if they can force a penalty or two a game from the opponents. That will give the vets their time since we never see any of the kids on the real pp

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Gallant seems to have arrived at the magic formula for this club in its current construction (line combinations and ice time). It's only one game. But the result is encouraging. Ice time was very evenly distributed in the end. Give the Kid Line the most even strength minutes while the vets dominate PP time. You have the kids driving play and momentum for the other lines at even strength and let the PP guys do their thing. It's the best of both worlds.
And the kids draw the penalties for the (expensive) vets to do their thing lmao

I say we make it dad night every night.
That magic might lose it's luster very quickly tbf...

Reactions: will1066

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Story of the game was Vesey.

Gets his shot and makes the most of it.

If he can stick there and contribute it really depends the lineup

Vesey was such an awesome pick-up and all the people whining about signing him clearly didn't watch how he was used after he left the Rangers.

Dude humbled himself. He realized he was nothing more than a bottom six guy. Love what he's done with his career. Many can't make that transition.

He's gonna cycle off the top six and back down and then back up. He's becoming a bit of a Swiss Army knife.

Would love to re-sign him. Wonder if we can get him lower on the AAV if we go for 4 years.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I genuinely believe that this roster as currently constructed and being played can contend for a Cup if everyone plays to their abilities. MINOR tweaks could help their chances, but i don't think they need major makeovers

(I'd still move out Kreider if possible though)

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Vesey was such an awesome pick-up and all the people whining about signing him clearly didn't watch how he was used after he left the Rangers.

Dude humbled himself. He realized he was nothing more than a bottom six guy. Love what he's done with his career. Many can't make that transition.

He's gonna cycle off the top six and back down and then back up. He's becoming a bit of a Swiss Army knife.

Would love to re-sign him. Wonder if we can get him lower on the AAV if we go for 4 years.
4 years? That's why we have the Othmann, Cuyle, Sykora types. Whatever you can't fill with ELCs you fill with vet minimums. We can't handcuff ourselves with any long term contracts for 4th liners.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Totally agree.

Good players find ways to reinvent themselves in the league if their initial skillset isn't completely working at the NHL level. This is what I'm hoping Gauthier is in the midsts of doing.

A guy like Vesey has a good pedigree and is a very smart dude with good character who works and has found a role he can be consistent in. Hes 29. And he's always had a good set of hands in close. He'll give you a consistent 10-15 goals on any line and hes on the same pace again this season.

People shouldn't expect him to set the world on fire on the top line, but if he can solidify any line with his defense and pitch in offensively there is nothing to be mad about just because he isnt Bure or Kane

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Shocking that the adjustments clamored for worked.

It was clear enough that most of this board wanted them to crash the net and put the kids together while playing them fairly. Wahhla...

Also carpenter and reaves being scratched.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Everytime I start getting on Goodrow's case, he has a game like that. Hopefully he can keep it up.
Then keep getting on, getting on.

Didn’t he play on Eichel’s line when he first got to Buffalo?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kravtsov really brought it. If he can keep playing like this that will be a huge W for the team.
I was impressed with how VK was constantly around the opponent’s net. He doesn’t stand there and take abuse like Kreider or Trocheck. But he slashes through the crease purposefully. He’s hunting for tips and rebounds and drawing the goalie’s attention. Small sample, of course, but it’s very encouraging. I love him with Panarin as long as he keeps disrupting the defense. VK and Trocheck are opening up the slot for Panarin.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Hopefully Shesterkin is just having a "slow start," but it wouldn't surprise me if he has an average year. It's the nature of the position.

Lundqvist had average starts to most of his years too. Revisionist history to say otherwise. 13-14 he looked like his career was done. 06-07 looked like a sophomore slump.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The thing with Chytil, Kakko and Lafreniere together is they cycle the puck in the offensive zone really really well. What that does is create momentum or if the momentum is already going when they step on the ice it keeps it going. Last night the 4th line was keeping it going too.

.....and it's like Gauthier really needed some time in Hartford because he's been much better since he was recalled than I've seen up until now. Three big bodies on the 4th--Goodrow, Blais and now Gauthier who can skate and have some level of skill. No doubt that Vesey and Kravtsov are being carried on the top two lines but that was okay last night.....the thing is seeing if they can sustain that play. It's the best game Vitali has played this year. That said both Mika and Panarin are good enough on their own that they can carry other players.

I also liked Hajek in this one. Basically strong, steady D. The third pairing looked good last night.

But it's still one game.
Hajek has been very solid so far. Probably more reliable than Jones tbh. But I am very happy with them splitting a spot in the lineup. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad