Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
1) The play on Sapovaliv wasn't dirty. Doesn't mean his teammates won't feel some way about it.
2) no, hay shouldn't be taking it out on someone not involved with the play
3) sure looks like Davis swings first and Hay obliges him.
Check again. Hays gloves were off way before Davis. He had no choice. AND Hays given the instigator and rightly so. Punk move

After a Windsor player almost paralyzed Sapovaliv. Let’s at least be honest about why it happened. He just didn’t do it for the hell of it.
Suffice to say, you’re a victim of your emotions. Bet you’re a hypochondriac

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I always thought that is a player did something stupid and the player they did it to got hurt cause of it then their suspension should be what league decides and if injured player isn’t back at the end of suspension then they should be out as long as the injured player is.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm trying to figure out when Windsor was pushed around. They stood up for Eichler in with the Sapovaliv hit. They can't get involved in Davis or else it's third-man in and suspensions. They were hitting much of the game and Toure was very involved around the net. There were a couple of clean hits they were on the receiving end of but, if they had gone after them, I guarantee we'd hear "keep your head up and suck it up." (I actually heard one of those from a fan at the game) Sorry, just trying to figure out where they chickened out of something that could have easily been solved by dropping the gloves.

Davis is going to be out for the time being. How long is TBD. I've watched the replay many times and it looks like they push/shove and Davis is trying to get back into the play. I've seen him do that umpteen times. He wasn't given a choice at the end, though. Hay was given two games this morning for fighting off a faceoff.

The Sapovaliv hit was an accident because of an awkward play. He's back with the team and going to be okay; that's what counts. When he went down, it looked like he smacked his head against the boards, which would have caused the look of being out cold (whether he was or not, I don't know).

That said, I get why the Spirit wanted revenge. I would be in the same mindframe and that's why they tried to get Eichler. However, going after Davis would be like Windsor going after Parekh for something he had no part of. If you want Eichler, square off next game.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
4th fight?
From looking at his stats it looks like it was just his 2nd on the year. League must have felt he was over-aggressive (he was) and probably deserves the 2 games. That said, while I don't know much about Hay, I have to think he gave Davis some sort of indication that they were going while in the faceoff...if he didn't, that's bush-league.

As far as Sapovaliv goes, whether it was a penalty or not, it was shady. We've all seen these types of little shoves when a player is ~4-5' from the boards and sideways and almost always it results in injury. Was it a penalty? Honestly I don't think so but to me, it was shady and a hit like that on Sapo means you have to answer to someone like Hache...that's what polices those types of hits. Luckily, he hit his back but if he went head first (at that speed), we'd probably be talking about a player ending his career. That's what makes it a dangerous hit clean or not.

Reactions: Savard18

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm trying to figure out when Windsor was pushed around. They stood up for Eichler in with the Sapovaliv hit. They can't get involved in Davis or else it's third-man in and suspensions. They were hitting much of the game and Toure was very involved around the net. There were a couple of clean hits they were on the receiving end of but, if they had gone after them, I guarantee we'd hear "keep your head up and suck it up." (I actually heard one of those from a fan at the game) Sorry, just trying to figure out where they chickened out of something that could have easily been solved by dropping the gloves.

Davis is going to be out for the time being. How long is TBD. I've watched the replay many times and it looks like they push/shove and Davis is trying to get back into the play. I've seen him do that umpteen times. He wasn't given a choice at the end, though. Hay was given two games this morning for fighting off a faceoff.

The Sapovaliv hit was an accident because of an awkward play. He's back with the team and going to be okay; that's what counts. When he went down, it looked like he smacked his head against the boards, which would have caused the look of being out cold (whether he was or not, I don't know).

That said, I get why the Spirit wanted revenge. I would be in the same mindframe and that's why they tried to get Eichler. However, going after Davis would be like Windsor going after Parekh for something he had no part of. If you want Eichler, square off next game.
U can only see what u want to see....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It was said that Windsor was pushed around. I'm simply asking for examples because, on multiple occasions, I saw players standing up for themselves or standing up for teammates.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
It was said that Windsor was pushed around. I'm simply asking for examples because, on multiple occasions, I saw players standing up for themselves or standing up for teammates.
Beck scores to make it 11-3, stares down Joey and chirps him several times, nothing done on ice, no words no gloves in face nada. Bloom taken out slides feet first into Joey, nada. Accidental yes but let's say Greentree gets taken out and kicks out feet to go blade first into goalie and see how every other team in league reacts. Team toughness doesn't mean fighting. Teams skate around our end at will, very little contact out there, aka SOFT. If you can't see that there is no bother talking to you. We are far to easy to play against.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Beck scores to make it 11-3, stares down Joey and chirps him several times, nothing done on ice, no words no gloves in face nada. Bloom taken out slides feet first into Joey, nada. Accidental yes but let's say Greentree gets taken out and kicks out feet to go blade first into goalie and see how every other team in league reacts. Team toughness doesn't mean fighting. Teams skate around our end at will, very little contact out there, aka SOFT. If you can't see that there is no bother talking to you. We are far to easy to play against.
My view- Spits are an easy team to play against. Hence only 12 wins . But there are a number of reasons for that, poor start, young, talent/depth.
What I will say "soft" is a player by player thing. we have players on this team that are very soft we also have players that won't take any goff from anyone. Eichler is a good example as well as Martin, but they are young and haven't really figured out the right moments to do that. Toure' will also not back down. With Zitos health I'm not sure he will be the force he once was?
I guess my point is the older a team is the harder it is to play against them and they will know how and when to respond. It's just not this year. Be safe.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
My view- Spits are an easy team to play against. Hence only 12 wins . But there are a number of reasons for that, poor start, young, talent/depth.
What I will say "soft" is a player by player thing. we have players on this team that are very soft we also have players that won't take any goff from anyone. Eichler is a good example as well as Martin, but they are young and haven't really figured out the right moments to do that. Toure' will also not back down. With Zitos health I'm not sure he will be the force he once was?
I guess my point is the older a team is the harder it is to play against them and they will know how and when to respond. It's just not this year. Be safe.
I can agree with some of that but a guy like Martin isn't really that young now. When this season ends he turns 19 years old. He's big but what does he really do?? I realize he has a family connection to the franchise but at some point you have to carve out a role for himself and we are still waiting. I am not sure Martin would play for 5 other teams in the league. If he was to return next year it would be along the lines of Struthers playing this year.

This isn't based on your thoughts but overall we need to have the discussion about the pure lack of talent this roster currently has. Yes we can talk about putting the draft board back together but the question needs to be asked how many players on this roster should have a future with this team beyond this year. When you start looking at it that way you need to ask where and how they acquire all these players. You can only play 4 16 year olds so that's the 08s. You hope maybe 1 or 2 other 07s can make the roster.

Making the roster should be based on merit and not who you're related to or connection you have. Look at a guy like Greenwell he's an 05, hasn't played much but hasn't done much either. You going to put him in your top 12 he's 19 years old now. I just question Bowler being able to make the tough decisions.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

If you react to Beck doing that by punching him or starting something, you're going to get called for something, which puts Saginaw on the PP. Players were chirping back and forth all night; heck, several Spitfires got involved (Nesbitt, Toure, Eichler, Greentree, to name a few) in various sessions. I'll agree that they need to flatten people around the net but that's not being "pushed around" to me. If they get punched in the face then skate away like they got scolded, that's a whole other ballgame. Toure got shoved. He shoved back. The Spirit player got really upset, shoved him a second time. Toure laughed like he was impressed. Even after the game, he said he's a physical guy and loves playing that role. While I think they need to get more physical around the net, this isn't a club that gets pushed around. They've got each other's backs.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If you react to Beck doing that by punching him or starting something, you're going to get called for something, which puts Saginaw on the PP. Players were chirping back and forth all night; heck, several Spitfires got involved (Nesbitt, Toure, Eichler, Greentree, to name a few) in various sessions. I'll agree that they need to flatten people around the net but that's not being "pushed around" to me. If they get punched in the face then skate away like they got scolded, that's a whole other ballgame. Toure got shoved. He shoved back. The Spirit player got really upset, shoved him a second time. Toure laughed like he was impressed. Even after the game, he said he's a physical guy and loves playing that role. While I think they need to get more physical around the net, this isn't a club that gets pushed around. They've got each other's backs.
Different views..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Interesting how the worm turns that a guy who loved the physical stuff is now saying not to punch someone. Have you become a pacifist?

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Interesting how the worm turns that a guy who loved the physical stuff is now saying not to punch someone. Have you become a pacifist?

We both know there's a big difference between fighting and just punching. If you go up and start swinging on Beck, one of two things happens. Either you start a line brawl, which will very likely get you a Saginaw PP and Windsor suspensions, or you'll have Beck turtle, which will still get a Saginaw PP (and maybe a suspension still).

If you grabbed someone and squared off, by all means, do the thing. That's 5 each, you do your thing, and move on. That's not going to happen with their stars, though.

Captain to be announced Saturday 11am.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We both know there's a big difference between fighting and just punching. If you go up and start swinging on Beck, one of two things happens. Either you start a line brawl, which will very likely get you a Saginaw PP and Windsor suspensions, or you'll have Beck turtle, which will still get a Saginaw PP (and maybe a suspension still).

If you grabbed someone and squared off, by all means, do the thing. That's 5 each, you do your thing, and move on. That's not going to happen with their stars, though.

Captain to be announced Saturday 11am.
U r splitting hairs...

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Funny how a couple years ago someone liked how Boka went after someone after the game for a fight but now we can’t risk giving saginaw a PP in a 11-3 game.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Again no one said a word, and you're talking about punching. Also worried about taking a penalty in an 11-3 game, c'mon tthats just silly. You know what shows you have your goalies back, you actually have his back.

Reactions: KyGuy9 and windsor7

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I know alot of people are up in arms over the Davis incident. Let's be honest, Davis runs his mouth after most stopages much like Abraham and often pokes and is an antagonist and then looks at ref like "what" . They had enough of it and Davis was the recipient. I don't think the fight was really linked to Eichler's " push" off balance hit other than next piehole was going to get shut. I love Davis but he needs to reel back some of his antagonist play and always portraying the victim. Lessons from Abraham he needs to do without.

Reactions: Savard18

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As far as the shock that Flint pulled at the trade deadline, they simply traded assets to then went and acquired our assests almost locking a playoff berth for them an insuring we would be out. That happened after Sarnia sold and not liklely a factor for that 8th spot. Maybe ownership figured possible Saginaw vs Flint is round would fill the rink and further the i-75 battle. If their objective was to insure a playoff spot, they liklely will achieve that with the moves they made.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Were all allowed our opinions. Windsor is not a city that will support a soft team! Soft hockey has never been equated with Windsor unitl BB! Total defensive madness was not a trademark of Windsor hockey, until BB! Players and parents absolutely hating the gm, again only since BB. I could go on but im wasting my breath! He’d have been fired in most cities by now!

Reactions: windsor7

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Were all allowed our opinions. Windsor is not a city that will support a soft team! Soft hockey has never been equated with Windsor unitl BB! Total defensive madness was not a trademark of Windsor hockey, until BB! Players and parents absolutely hating the gm, again only since BB. I could go on but im wasting my breath! He’d have been fired in most cities by now!
He would not be fired in most cities by now, c'mon lol. Who fires a GM after finishing 1st in the conference in two straight seasons? It's year 1 of a rebuild, have the most 2nd round picks in the conference. Now if he messes up the rebuild with all these high picks then questions need to be asked about his job.

Good to see Hay get suspended, total classless display. 13 points in 29 games and a - rating. Not sure Saginaw will get a whole lot for him next year. They will get a lot for Misa and Parekh though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad