Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
This shit show courtesy of Bill Bowler!!! This team is getting totally disrespected! It’s embarrassing!

Reactions: oldPeng

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If it works, it works. They were both very open about it on the bench on Sunday. A few fans gave "what the heck?" looks while I just sat there and grinned.

Note from tonight... Donoso starts, Toure is in the lineup, Zito is not dressed yet, and Outwater placed on the IR.

Regarding Outwater - I don't know what the injury was but, when it happened, I mentioned his arm looked like it was slumping as if it was a separated shoulder. Hopefully it's nothing serious that keeps him out for a long period.
Just saw this but I believe outwater had some shoulder issues in kingston like one or two times it was injured

This shit show courtesy of Bill Bowler!!! This team is getting totally disrespected! It’s embarrassing!
What do you expect lol Saginaw just completely loaded up, and you traded away some of your players. Can’t win it all every year. Welcome to the ohl.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Bowler gets applauded by many for building for the future. Now he gets lambasted for having a team that can't compete with a top team. Let's see 2 years from now where Windsor and Saginaw are. Junior Hockey is cyclical (except for London). I predict Saginaw will be at the bottom of the league in 2 years but may have a Mem Cup in their trophy case. Windsor went for it for 2 years and are now rebuilding.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’d say i hope someone runs over Beck and Hay next time they play but this team isn’t tough. Nothing like letting Beck just stare down your goalie after scoring the teams 11th goal. Not sure what Davis did to piss off Hay but Hay was clearly excited for beating up a rookie. Hopefully Zito will actually step up and do something.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I’d say i hope someone runs over Beck and Hay next time they play but this team isn’t tough. Nothing like letting Beck just stare down your goalie after scoring the teams 11th goal. Not sure what Davis did to piss off Hay but Hay was clearly excited for beating up a rookie. Hopefully Zito will actually step up and do something.

You realize this all happened after Saginaws star player was stretchered off right? Saginaw wasn’t going to go easy on Windsor after that.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Bowler gets applauded by many for building for the future. Now he gets lambasted for having a team that can't compete with a top team. Let's see 2 years from now where Windsor and Saginaw are. Junior Hockey is cyclical (except for London). I predict Saginaw will be at the bottom of the league in 2 years but may have a Mem Cup in their trophy case. Windsor went for it for 2 years and are now rebuilding.
Saginaw one of the oldest and most experienced teams in the league, this was not unexpected. Hope Sapovaliv is ok.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Not good i get, over powered for sure BUT being completely disrespected and embarrassed is not ok! This team has zero muscle, gets pushed around and other teams have the ability to take advantage whenever they want. That player that went down went down on his own, ridiculous there was any call let alone sag having to answer it. Im disgusted by what went on tonight. Losing is one thing that was brutal! Way to many passengers as well yet again.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I know he was injured and I am glad he's OK, but Eichler simply shoved him and he fell awkwardly, How is that 5 and a game?

Anyways, Hay embarrassed himself with his showboating after he instigated a fight on a rookie. Let's see if he will answer to Toure or Zito in the next meeting?

To the fans upset by the loss, um what did you expect? Team is going to struggle. Flint probably added enough to get the 8th spot, but I saw after this trade deadline, Fliunt did not gain and 2nd round picks after all these trades due to acquiring Peer and Mancini.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
The Spitfires now have 9 2nd's in the next 5 years. That's the most in the Conference. The only team with more in Brantford.

Here 2nd round picks in the next 4 years:
Flint: 6 2nds
Sarnia: 4 2nds
Saginaw: 0 2nds !!
Windsor: 8 2nds

Yeah, the squad is going to suck the rest of the year, but have some serious assets to use to not only draft, but to use for trades.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
You realize this all happened after Saginaws star player was stretchered off right? Saginaw wasn’t going to go easy on Windsor after that.
So it is ok to go after a kid who wasn’t involved in the incident? I’d understand it more if it was the next game and he went after Eichler but he chose to go after Davis for no reason. Then celebrates his actions.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
He was injured on an awkward fall, but it was not a dirty hit in any way. They called it boarding but the players were facing each other and he pushed him.

Hay incident will probably be reviewed. Manny Paiva tweeted about it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Okay, some thoughts...

Goals against:

1. Cristoforo tries to clear it out off the boards but it bounces to a Saginaw guy at the line. He skates in, untouched (with two Spitfires near him), and roofs it glove side. I'm sure Donoso wants that one back.
2. Saginaw SH, long pass to Sapovaliv who gets behind the D. Cristoforo tries to stop him but not much can be done.
3. Pass from the glove side corner into the slot. Toms can't get his man who buries it blocker side.
4. Parekh wires one from the slot. That's just one of those goals.
5. Misa gets free behind Eichler. Beck pass from glove to blocker... Eichler can't block it, Misa's alone and puts it home. Woodall was trailing D.
6. Toms goes for the hit at the Sag bench, but the puck gets touched-passed from one Spirit to the next leaving Zhugin to defend Misa going to the net. He makes a nice move and...
7. Parekh whips it at the net and it goes just under the bar... Donoso couldn't do much with that.
8. Beck wires a one-timer through the wickets.
10. Spirit glove side, drop pass to the slot, which then gets thrown blocker side to Sima. He escapes Winegard and buries it.
11. Spirit on a 3-on-2, Smith can't catch Beck, who's wide open and rips a one-timer off the glove side post and in.

- First, we knew what this game would be coming into it. Saginaw loaded up, Windsor tore down; it wasn't going to be a 3-2 Spitfires win, barring some miracle.
- That said, Windsor did play with them through the first period. The shots were 11-7 Sag but a 3-2 game is a "we'll take it" scenario.
- Good, experienced teams find a way to get into those next gears and Saginaw did that.
- Everyone on Windsor was a negative tonight. This wasn't any one player or any two players. It was a team struggle. However, with that said, it wasn't ALL mistakes. Sometimes, you have to give credit where it's due. Saginaw played very well given how recently they got their new talents.
- Speaking of new talents... Toure is going to be fun. He's big, throws his weight around, has no issues getting involved, and seems to like it here. Donoso had some issues but he's a proven OHL goaltender so I'm eager to see what him and Costanzo can do. Zito was in the building but should be ready for Saturday (Hopefully).

Now, the incidents...

- I hope Sapovaliv is going to be okay. Eichler simply did his job, using the body to steer him to the outside. Sap was just caught at an awkward angle and, given his speed, wound up into the boards pretty hard. As soon as he was down face-first, I thought he was out cold. They immediately called for the docs/stretcher and the Spirit wanted a piece of Eichler. The thing is that it wasn't on Eichler. This looked like a freak accident. Is Eichler supposed to let him skate to the net? No. Unfortunately, they gave Eichler a 5/GM so we'll see what comes of it.

- The Davis/Hay thing was just odd. My angle wasn't great to see the start of it but I saw the replay on Instagram. Off a draw, Hay grabs Davis for some reason and looks like he wants to go. Davis isn't interested but eventually drops them, and Hay starts swinging for the hills. He threw a ton of uppercut rights and Davis had zero answer... and I'm not sure he needed one. After the fight, Hay's doing the "heavyweight champ" motion. What? Why? Davis can throw down but this wasn't a fight, it was a mugging. I don't get why Hay even started it? Was it to get back at Eichler? Was it to send a message to his teammates that "I can do this, too"? I don't get it. Davis didn't return and who knows if he's out for Saturday or not. It's just stupid.

Games like this are going to happen. You've got a near all-star team facing a rebuilding roster that hasn't practiced with the new players. I said afterwards to give it a few days, or even next week, and you'll see a better team. Patience is required here. We don't have to like it but that's the nature of junior hockey. We just had back-to-back seasons of "all-in" trading and now we're going the opposite route. Enjoy it for what it is.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I mean Bowler can get credit for getting picks but he can still get a lot of blame for things going off the rails. Multiple double digit goal games given up by this team. You can still give him credit for that but be critical of his job overall. Winning 12 of 38 isn't a good look when you're not very competitive most nights.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Was the Eichler dirty? Questionable I think he was frustrated he got beat wide and shoved an off balance player towards the boards where he could have just used body position to force Sapo wide around the back of the net. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on intent but that’s literally the definition of boarding per the OHL rule book.

Davis is in his 2nd year in the year in the league and is 17. Hay is 18. Let’s not act like this is an OA jumping a 16 year old call up. Once again Saginaw just had one of thier leaders strechered off minutes prior. If you’ve watched hockey in the last 30 years you know Saginaw is going to want a piece of a Windsor player in return and if Windsor themselves didn’t know that I’d be shocked. At least he didn’t get a stick like Hartman and Perfetti in the nhl after the Kaprisov thing. Both guys got thier gloves off and were facing each other and unfortunately Davis got fed his lunch. I’m sure Saginaw much rather would have went after Eichler. Your beef should be on 56 and 57 who just let him get pounded on with his jersey over his head. (Same thing happened in 2nd fight as well)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheGremlin

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Okay, some thoughts...

Goals against:

1. Cristoforo tries to clear it out off the boards but it bounces to a Saginaw guy at the line. He skates in, untouched (with two Spitfires near him), and roofs it glove side. I'm sure Donoso wants that one back.
2. Saginaw SH, long pass to Sapovaliv who gets behind the D. Cristoforo tries to stop him but not much can be done.
3. Pass from the glove side corner into the slot. Toms can't get his man who buries it blocker side.
4. Parekh wires one from the slot. That's just one of those goals.
5. Misa gets free behind Eichler. Beck pass from glove to blocker... Eichler can't block it, Misa's alone and puts it home. Woodall was trailing D.
6. Toms goes for the hit at the Sag bench, but the puck gets touched-passed from one Spirit to the next leaving Zhugin to defend Misa going to the net. He makes a nice move and...
7. Parekh whips it at the net and it goes just under the bar... Donoso couldn't do much with that.
8. Beck wires a one-timer through the wickets.
10. Spirit glove side, drop pass to the slot, which then gets thrown blocker side to Sima. He escapes Winegard and buries it.
11. Spirit on a 3-on-2, Smith can't catch Beck, who's wide open and rips a one-timer off the glove side post and in.

- First, we knew what this game would be coming into it. Saginaw loaded up, Windsor tore down; it wasn't going to be a 3-2 Spitfires win, barring some miracle.
- That said, Windsor did play with them through the first period. The shots were 11-7 Sag but a 3-2 game is a "we'll take it" scenario.
- Good, experienced teams find a way to get into those next gears and Saginaw did that.
- Everyone on Windsor was a negative tonight. This wasn't any one player or any two players. It was a team struggle. However, with that said, it wasn't ALL mistakes. Sometimes, you have to give credit where it's due. Saginaw played very well given how recently they got their new talents.
- Speaking of new talents... Toure is going to be fun. He's big, throws his weight around, has no issues getting involved, and seems to like it here. Donoso had some issues but he's a proven OHL goaltender so I'm eager to see what him and Costanzo can do. Zito was in the building but should be ready for Saturday (Hopefully).

Now, the incidents...

- I hope Sapovaliv is going to be okay. Eichler simply did his job, using the body to steer him to the outside. Sap was just caught at an awkward angle and, given his speed, wound up into the boards pretty hard. As soon as he was down face-first, I thought he was out cold. They immediately called for the docs/stretcher and the Spirit wanted a piece of Eichler. The thing is that it wasn't on Eichler. This looked like a freak accident. Is Eichler supposed to let him skate to the net? No. Unfortunately, they gave Eichler a 5/GM so we'll see what comes of it.

- The Davis/Hay thing was just odd. My angle wasn't great to see the start of it but I saw the replay on Instagram. Off a draw, Hay grabs Davis for some reason and looks like he wants to go. Davis isn't interested but eventually drops them, and Hay starts swinging for the hills. He threw a ton of uppercut rights and Davis had zero answer... and I'm not sure he needed one. After the fight, Hay's doing the "heavyweight champ" motion. What? Why? Davis can throw down but this wasn't a fight, it was a mugging. I don't get why Hay even started it? Was it to get back at Eichler? Was it to send a message to his teammates that "I can do this, too"? I don't get it. Davis didn't return and who knows if he's out for Saturday or not. It's just stupid.

Games like this are going to happen. You've got a near all-star team facing a rebuilding roster that hasn't practiced with the new players. I said afterwards to give it a few days, or even next week, and you'll see a better team. Patience is required here. We don't have to like it but that's the nature of junior hockey. We just had back-to-back seasons of "all-in" trading and now we're going the opposite route. Enjoy it for what it is.
Defense was issue for most of those goals..

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
After last night no one deserves to be named captain. When Beck scored and chirped Joey in an 11-3 game and no one pushed back, I was disgusted. Thought Greenwell and Stewart skated well, Smith quit on his teammates in 3rd. Why is he still playing! There i no captain on this team so why name one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad