Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm sure there's a logical way to do it live. It would save a lot of doubt after the fact. Whether the league would ever do that is another story.
Absolutely true. Turn on the PC screen, click on the generator, enter the team names and weighted odds and hit enter. Instant results. Do it all the time for fantasy drafts.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm sure there's a logical way to do it live. It would save a lot of doubt after the fact. Whether the league would ever do that is another story.
Not going to change it just because Windsor was near bottom of league once..
Maybe changes could be done at one of the meetings before the league starts. Not right before the draft..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't like seeing the Newbury news. This was a suspension by Hockey Canada the appeal is meaningless. What isn't meaningless is that prospective players and parents are entitled to disclosure of what actually happened. Why does Bowler continue to make things tougher on himself?

No that went out the window in 1985 and the Patrick Ewing draft when the commish froze the Knicks envelope. That's when owners pleaded for transparency.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
We wil draft a good prospect from1-4. It matters more for import draft position. Multiply our draft selection slot in the lottery by 3 and that is where the import selection will be. 1st=3rd import this year 2nd=6th , 3rd =9th 4th=12th. Doubt any team within first 12 impirt draft selections pass.

Reactions: ohloutsider

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Would parents n kids stay away from Windsor because of Newbury?
Not a good look Bowler..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Would parents n kids stay away from Windsor because of Newbury?
Not a good look Bowler..
I agree. Keeping Newberry may make a high prospect under parents advice may think twice about reporting. Now if Newberry was hired with Bowler having knowledge of said infraction, he may not be able to get out of Newberry's contract. I'd be shocked if a new HC comes in knowing his assistants are in place already. SAVARD did it but it is not the norm.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree. Keeping Newberry may make a high prospect under parents advice may think twice about reporting. Now if Newberry was hired with Bowler having knowledge of said infraction, he may not be able to get out of Newberry's contract. I'd be shocked if a new HC comes in knowing his assistants are in place already. SAVARD did it but it is not the norm.
Got to clean house.
Need to get smarter

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
With roughly close to 5000 plus fans on average, should afford a quality coach. Only rivals London and Kitchener, Oshawa and Guelph this yesr average more attendance.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Bowler continually uses the Soo Greyhounds example from last year to now. The Greyhounds changed about 10 players from what they ended last year with. They also added a healthy Allard and Gibson this year.

Soo also never sold off any players last year unless you include Savard in that group. They took their lumps kept the same coach and GM. The two are nothing the same.
Soo didn't have much to sell last year after trading away 03s Holmes and Boudreau the year before...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Soo didn't have much to sell last year after trading away 03s Holmes and Boudreau the year before...
So seems to me the better example would be of Soo last year. Spits add a few new players will show improvement but the hill is extremely steep and will take more time.

They have gotten more picks but moving picks now to possibly get a 7th 8th seed next year wouldn't be prudent.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Well article in Star Bowler says Newberry is welcomed back. He also states he wants to get a new head coach. Not sure that means naming either Torres or Newberry or someone new. Disturbing is the league already has held its random number generator for the draft lottery and is simply announcing it tonight. Why not show it live ( the actual draw) Branch is retiring!!@ yeah. Like I said I ran a number generator 10 times and the Spits finished 1 or 2 8 times out of 10 we'll see how Branches number generator may differ lol.
They wanted to make sure it didn't favor Niagara probably. Lol.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Bowler's got enough draft assets now that he can get creative. They'll need an OA F and an OA D; move picks around to get what you need.

Last edited:

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Every draft result is predetermined before it's televised. NBA does it that way, NHL does it that way and now MLB. It's held with all execs and overseen by one of the big four auditing firms to ensure transparency. There would be too much chaos if you did it right there live.
My problem with it is, I trust it more with those big leagues… is it overseen for the OHL as well? I thought this before too when I found out they had determined it, and were just "announcing". It's no secret this league has its politics. Not that I think Windsor would be favored unfairly…

But when teams get their owners suspended for arguments over their sons playing time, GMs are getting in trouble over leaked text messages and there have been countless issues in recruitment processes… hiding the process feels sketchy. At the same time? There's not enough die hard OHL fans that do stuff like hit the message boards/media that impact the bottom line of the league.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I would imagine Bowler's bringing in an OA D and maybe an OA F, which will cost a pick or two each. You could utilize a fourth or future picks for that. I can't see them trading anything in the top three rounds this season as those will prove huge for the next 2-3 seasons.
I'm hoping that we may be able to do something like Smith & a 5th for a 3rd, that could then be used in a deal to bring in an OA.

I don't think our trading block 04's really hold much value, but they may be able to bump us up a couple rounds in the draft, which could be swapped for a better caliber player.

Per usual, a tough stay at home D I'm sure is on everyone's wishlist. Walton doesn't have that edge despite his size. Woodall/Christoforo are more offensive minded. Eichler, we're not certain he's staying, but I do like the physicality he brings… Seeing how much he's penalized, if Walton played that game, with his size… he'd be suspended a quarter of the season.
Sure, our D group could be classified as "Soft", but these days couldn't the OHL? I mean… unless you're looking at Quebec ;)

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not sure what to do with Smith. He knows he didn't have a great season but he wants to return. Can you get a pick for him? I don't know. There's potential but he's had two seasons to find his game here and... yeah.

Use the excess picks we have from this draft to get picks down the road and then use those picks for players.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Bowler's got enough draft assets now that he can get creative. They'll need an OA F and an OA D; move picks around to get what you need.
Bowler just needs to put a good team on the ice.
He put a terrible team on ice starting last September. Nowhere to hide

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Newberry and Torres should both go. Don't saddle the new HC with assistants that he didn't hire. IMO, Head Coach is #1 priority and Goaltender coach should be 2nd. The goaltenders had no coaching and little defense.
I have no trouble keeping Newbury, was told he was well liked by the all the players,and that works for me.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm hoping that we may be able to do something like Smith & a 5th for a 3rd, that could then be used in a deal to bring in an OA.

I don't think our trading block 04's really hold much value, but they may be able to bump us up a couple rounds in the draft, which could be swapped for a better caliber player.

Per usual, a tough stay at home D I'm sure is on everyone's wishlist. Walton doesn't have that edge despite his size. Woodall/Christoforo are more offensive minded. Eichler, we're not certain he's staying, but I do like the physicality he brings… Seeing how much he's penalized, if Walton played that game, with his size… he'd be suspended a quarter of the season.
Sure, our D group could be classified as "Soft", but these days couldn't the OHL? I mean… unless you're looking at Quebec ;)
I would definitely keep Eichler this coming season,was impressed with his grit and physical play,as well as improved offensive play the last half of the season.His 1st half of the season he had 1G,1A in 34 games,his next 30 4G,6A.
As well he led the team in Pims by quite a large amount.
Including misconducts and game misconduct s which unlike the NHL doesn't count but I do.
1-Eichler- 188
2-Martin- 101
3-Toure- 93
4-Abraham-92
5-Nesbitt- 88
6-Spellacy-69
7-Davis- 65

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Newberry and Torres should both go. Don't saddle the new HC with assistants that he didn't hire. IMO, Head Coach is #1 priority and Goaltender coach should be 2nd. The goaltenders had no coaching and little defense.
Agreed. Does it really matter if the players liked Newbury? Three OAs are gone. The 04s weren't good, 05s not a good crop. You should be in the mode of clearing house. The majority of the players won't be around when they're contending. Just wipe the slate clean and empower the new coach instead of saddling him with rubbish.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm not sure what to do with Smith. He knows he didn't have a great season but he wants to return. Can you get a pick for him? I don't know. There's potential but he's had two seasons to find his game here and... yeah.

Use the excess picks we have from this draft to get picks down the road and then use those picks for players.
I think with 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds this coming draft,in other words 7 in top 75,after last year getting 1 in the top 80,great time to restock.
I would be open to dealing the lowest 4th we have for a 5th and 6th as currently Windsor has no picks in the 5th or 6th rounds but have 9 picks from the 7th to the 15th.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Agreed. Does it really matter if the players liked Newbury?

To an extent, yes. Will it play a factor, though? Who knows.
I think with 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds this coming draft,in other words 7 in top 75,after last year getting 1 in the top 80,great time to restock.
I would be open to dealing the lowest 4th we have for a 5th and 6th as currently Windsor has no picks in the 5th or 6th rounds but have 9 picks from the 7th to the 15th.

If I'm moving a 4th, it's for another pick down the road, so I can then deal that pick for a player. A 5th and a 6th won't be as valuable next season as a distant couple of picks for a valuable 04 or 05.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
To an extent, yes. Will it play a factor, though? Who knows.

If I'm moving a 4th, it's for another pick down the road, so I can then deal that pick for a player. A 5th and a 6th won't be as valuable next season as a distant couple of picks for a valuable 04 or 05.
Teenagers aren't always going to tell you the truth overall. Their opinion should matter very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad