Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Well the Season is finally over. Its been mentally over for a while because we've been out of reach of a playoff spot for over a month but its nice to get it over with and move on to the summer and refresh. Players have been going thru the motions last few weeks.

Hoping to go out on a high note with a win. Leave it all out on the ice tonight for the final game of the season.

Brighter times ahead and call me a homer if you want but i believe the spits will have a very solid season next year. Team needs to learn from this season and use this season as fuel for next year.

For the Last time this Year...
Go Spits Go!!

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It sucks to lose the last game but, again, nobody can say the effort wasn't there. They got down, found a way to come back, got down again, and still did what they could in the third. The shots were horrific, esp in the third, but Zhugin/Greentree didn't give up. Sure, the shots were bad and they allowed eight goals but that's more contender v. 10th seed than a measurement of their overall effort. They fought the good fight.

The final four spots are set...

17. Sarnia - 54pts
18. Ptbo - 48pts (1gm remaining)
19. Windsor - 44pts
20. Niagara - 42 pts

Losing your last 13 is REALLY bad but at least they're in line for a top pick. I mean... minor victories?

Greentree finishes with 90pts in 64 games. Abraham has 66pts in 64 games, which is what we were all kind of hoping for. Davis and Spellacy with 41 and 38, respectively.

They've got major issues with defence, their next crop of veterans, and the goaltending. Plus, the coaches all have to be sorted out. It was a frustrating season for the most part; nowhere near expectations. However... I had fun, much of the time. They showed heart (much of the time), the youngsters are developing, and I'm looking forward to next season. Bring on the draft lottery and the draft!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A 4-16-1 start bookended by an 0-13 finish is certainly something. Since they became the Spitfires again after briefly being the Compuware Spitfires. This iteration of the Spits have never given up more goals than they just did in 23-24.

Reactions: KyGuy9

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It sucks to lose the last game but, again, nobody can say the effort wasn't there. They got down, found a way to come back, got down again, and still did what they could in the third. The shots were horrific, esp in the third, but Zhugin/Greentree didn't give up. Sure, the shots were bad and they allowed eight goals but that's more contender v. 10th seed than a measurement of their overall effort. They fought the good fight.

The final four spots are set...

17. Sarnia - 54pts
18. Ptbo - 48pts (1gm remaining)
19. Windsor - 44pts
20. Niagara - 42 pts

Losing your last 13 is REALLY bad but at least they're in line for a top pick. I mean... minor victories?

Greentree finishes with 90pts in 64 games. Abraham has 66pts in 64 games, which is what we were all kind of hoping for. Davis and Spellacy with 41 and 38, respectively.

They've got major issues with defence, their next crop of veterans, and the goaltending. Plus, the coaches all have to be sorted out. It was a frustrating season for the most part; nowhere near expectations. However... I had fun, much of the time. They showed heart (much of the time), the youngsters are developing, and I'm looking forward to next season. Bring on the draft lottery and the draft!
Oh the defense needs work u say.... :banghead:

• Haha
Reactions: oldPeng

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Soooo. Seasons over, im betting all involved are glad. Pretty much a disaster from day 1. We all have talked on end about whats wrong. Brutal decision on coaching staff, ended the season before it started. Yes in hindsight. The annual decision not to address the D bit hard this year. The poor player choices, very few of these guys have the required grit to play competitively in this league and a number are lacking in size. Waiting as long as they did before firing the HC then the ensuing mutiny of other coaches. The goalie coach we lost was infinitely better than the one hired. The decision not to hire a HC and the massive mistake with another asst coach. A number of these players havent progressed. The players damn near had a mutiny of their own…. We all could go on. Who is to blame for most of this? Bill Bowler. Then to save some face he guts the team, makes a few more poor decisions and the team ends the year on a lengthy losing streak. He leaves the team short on talent and age. Again BB fault. Yes he acquired some pics but at what cost this year? I could then add on how disliked a person he is, how that hurts internally and in hockey circles and the euro draft.
Now some think he deserves another chance, and that’s your opinion. Me? Theres no chance he returns! Reality? I don’t believe the owners can/will cut him loose. He is invested in to many places to replace him easily.
So if thats the case how do you fix it?
The high picks are a start but they MUST be hits. Best available with the first, the next 2 at least one is a big, gritty D man maybe 2 depending on what your looking at in the euro draft. I look to trade some picks for a quality defender. The new HC MUST come with some serious cache! Id let him choose his asst’s and id beg our old goalie coach to come back.
OA players shouldnt be a tough choice, that will depend if they choose to return. Make sure every player has an intense summer. We need to bulk a number of these guys up. BB needs to look hard in the mirror, he must fix his attitude and his relationships all around, be a better person Bill!
Excited to see where we pick, league might hate Nia more than Wind right now lol. I really hope they have a plan for a euro pick. Thanks for reading, I encourage discussion without getting ridiculous.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My approach to Bowler is simple - let's see how he works this draft. With this many high picks, it has to be a home run. You can't fumble this opportunity.

As for the coaches - Newbury I'm 50/50 on. Without knowing exactly what role he played in the Trenton situation, it's tough to say. I know Torres wants to return if the chance is there and, personally, I think he deserves a shot given the roster he had to work with. You get him quality players, similar to what he had from November 21 to Jan 10, then he's got a shot to do something.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGremlin

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
My approach to Bowler is simple - let's see how he works this draft. With this many high picks, it has to be a home run. You can't fumble this opportunity.

As for the coaches - Newbury I'm 50/50 on. Without knowing exactly what role he played in the Trenton situation, it's tough to say. I know Torres wants to return if the chance is there and, personally, I think he deserves a shot given the roster he had to work with. You get him quality players, similar to what he had from November 21 to Jan 10, then he's got a shot to do something.
Coaches should of all been let go this morning.
Gut it all and start new.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Soooo. Seasons over, im betting all involved are glad. Pretty much a disaster from day 1. We all have talked on end about whats wrong. Brutal decision on coaching staff, ended the season before it started. Yes in hindsight. The annual decision not to address the D bit hard this year. The poor player choices, very few of these guys have the required grit to play competitively in this league and a number are lacking in size. Waiting as long as they did before firing the HC then the ensuing mutiny of other coaches. The goalie coach we lost was infinitely better than the one hired. The decision not to hire a HC and the massive mistake with another asst coach. A number of these players havent progressed. The players damn near had a mutiny of their own…. We all could go on. Who is to blame for most of this? Bill Bowler. Then to save some face he guts the team, makes a few more poor decisions and the team ends the year on a lengthy losing streak. He leaves the team short on talent and age. Again BB fault. Yes he acquired some pics but at what cost this year? I could then add on how disliked a person he is, how that hurts internally and in hockey circles and the euro draft.
Now some think he deserves another chance, and that’s your opinion. Me? Theres no chance he returns! Reality? I don’t believe the owners can/will cut him loose. He is invested in to many places to replace him easily.
So if thats the case how do you fix it?
The high picks are a start but they MUST be hits. Best available with the first, the next 2 at least one is a big, gritty D man maybe 2 depending on what your looking at in the euro draft. I look to trade some picks for a quality defender. The new HC MUST come with some serious cache! Id let him choose his asst’s and id beg our old goalie coach to come back.
OA players shouldnt be a tough choice, that will depend if they choose to return. Make sure every player has an intense summer. We need to bulk a number of these guys up. BB needs to look hard in the mirror, he must fix his attitude and his relationships all around, be a better person Bill!
Excited to see where we pick, league might hate Nia more than Wind right now lol. I really hope they have a plan for a euro pick. Thanks for reading, I encourage discussion without getting ridiculous.
I don't disagree with most of this, just think we need to give the younger players more time. They were being asked to play roles that 19 and OA's play normally. We have a better core than most give them credit for . It's a rebuild that needs 1 more year. Be safe.

If you want Torres back you better take the rose colored glasses off and review that idea, lol.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
No question everyone still gets a shot thats only fair. But bring in some solid options to push everyone.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

If they bring Newbury back they can bring in Ben Johnson as another assistant. Seems like a great idea.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If they bring Newbury back they can bring in Ben Johnson as another assistant. Seems like a great idea.
IMHO…Bowler will be retained. After all the draft will be coming up shortly and that is the priority. Should ownership change the new owners might go in a different direction. Nothing will get finalized re coaching until the CHL season is over. At that time we can hopefully get a good coaching team in place. At least we will have choices. When Smith was fired we found ourselves with a slim group of prospective coaches and it showed. I’d like to see us hire a local face/former player if possible as head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad