Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Me too, wonder why BB n staff went with thst decision
well they were down 5 regulars already. Not sure how many jr guys you want to be playing. I do think however they shouldn’t have played the vets as much as they did except Christopolus to try and get him 50 goals.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I missed what Dionicio did. Saw him get ushered off for the game though. Figured something stupid after the goal. He’s a great player, but emotional.

Snap his stick across the crossbar or something?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I missed what Dionicio did. Saw him get ushered off for the game though. Figured something stupid after the goal. He’s a great player, but emotional.

Snap his stick across the crossbar or something?
Puck was on its edge so he put it on his stick and flung it up and over the netting about 16 rows up

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Dionicio suspension talk. Does what he did worse than head hunting a player?? Absolutely no, but we will find out. Still can't believe 5 games likely for that based on the past with that infraction. Seems like a 1 gamer but that is something the league has cracked hard on before.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well it's down to tomorrow to see who we get. Do you want the Rangers or Attack? Neither wil be easy for opposite reasons. The Rangers are skilled waiting to break out and he Attack play hard nosed hockey. Last 10 games say Owen Sound but the playoffs are a different beast.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well it's down to tomorrow to see who we get. Do you want the Rangers or Attack? Neither wil be easy for opposite reasons. The Rangers are skilled waiting to break out and he Attack play hard nosed hockey. Last 10 games say Owen Sound but the playoffs are a different beast.
Defense better get a lot better either way.

Reactions: Cherrydon

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Nobody was injured in tonight's game, that's all that mattered, who cares about the score? Dionico with a dumb play to shoot the puck in the crowd but it's just one game that can be bought back.

It appears there is a good chance the Spitfires end up with Kitchener. An OS win and a Kitchener loss means we play Kitchener. Tomorrow Owen Sound plays Saginaw and that game has no meaning for the Spirit who will probably be resting many players.

Also, Kitchener plays London tomorrow evening. Assuming London would rather play Owen Sound than Kitchener in round 1, I'd expect London to do their best to beat Kitchener tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see London only resting a few guys or maybe none.

Sort of bad luck, you get the #1 seed and end up having to play a team with a top 4 roster. Obviously, Kitchener isn't a good team, it's been 68 games and they haven't been able to figure it out and have poor coaching, lack of systems, but on paper it's a top 4 roster.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
If Kitchener wins and Owen Sound wins, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener wins and Owen Sound loses, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener loses and Owen Sound loses, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener loses and Owen Sound wins, we play Kitchener

(Edit: If Kitchener gets to overtime, we play Owen Sound)

Anyone on Kitchener that remembers last years playoffs, probably liked the series vs London better than the series vs Windsor.

I’d just rather see Barlow than Arcuri/Pinelli. Whatever happens, happens. Bummer Christo couldn’t bury one tonight, that was the only thing I wanted out of that game tonight. As I stated pregame, wished Dionicio was out of the lineup to avoid something stupid.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Ya funny part is I talked to him 20 minutes after I posted that . No surgery but waiting for approval to return. Not sure when. Also DeAngelis was a rest game so he will be back Thursday.
Waiting for approval... I assume that means he's close then.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
If Kitchener wins and Owen Sound wins, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener wins and Owen Sound loses, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener loses and Owen Sound loses, we play Owen Sound

If Kitchener loses and Owen Sound wins, we play Kitchener

(Edit: If Kitchener gets to overtime, we play Owen Sound)

Anyone on Kitchener that remembers last years playoffs, probably liked the series vs London better than the series vs Windsor.

I’d just rather see Barlow than Arcuri/Pinelli. Whatever happens, happens. Bummer Christo couldn’t bury one tonight, that was the only thing I wanted out of that game tonight. As I stated pregame, wished Dionicio was out of the lineup to avoid something stupid.
Kitchener has a lot more firepower than OS. I honestly have no clue how Kitchener is going to finish 7th or 8th. I feel the Spitfires could sweep OS , but a Kitchener series could go 6.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
well they were down 5 regulars already. Not sure how many jr guys you want to be playing. I do think however they shouldn’t have played the vets as much as they did except Christopolus to try and get him 50 goals.

That attempt at personal stat achievement is probably what contributed most to this loss. It disrupted "team play" and the focus became padding stats. This was amplified in the last few shifts when down by 3, the goalie gets pulled.....not to try for the tie or win, but rather to get one player to the 50 goal plateau. Everyone who was on ice during that portion risked injury....and for what ? Had Maggio or Wright gone down, that would have been on the coach, period.

Reactions: windsor7

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Why the concern over a potential first rd opponent as the Conference Champs?

Should be comfortable, IMO against any of Kit/OS/Gue/Flint etL in rd 1 and 2 as conference champs, having dealt with winning the Conf..

spits

Jul 24, 2013

Should be comfortable, IMO against any of Kit/OS/Gue/Flint etL in rd 1 and 2 as conference champs, having dealt with winning the Conf..
Not concerned. Kitchener has 6 NHL drafted players , OS has 1, that’s quite the difference. When is the last time a #8 seed had 6 drafted players? Has to be a first .

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I think it's more of a respect thing. Having had numerous conversations over the last couple of months, I can say with some certainty that the "the west is wide open" mentality is stronger this season than in the past, even among hockey folks. There is no assumption that any top seed is going to dominate a lower seed. SHOULD the Spitfires get past the eighth seed easily? Yes. Will it happen? That's TBD.

Some thoughts from tonight...

- I'm surprised the Spitfires didn't sit more players. I was expecting Dionicio, Harrison, Maillet, and Wright... at LEAST.
- You could tell that the drive just wasn't there. They had bursts of energy but this felt more like a preseason game than anything. It's tough to blame them, though. The division and conference are wrapped up so... why go all out and risk injury?
- I really like McManus' game. He gets under everyone's skin and I'm annoyed that the officials separated him and Leonard. Just let them go. Helmet comes off? Fine, toss the guy and Windsor has 11 skaters. That's nothing new.
- The club was trying to get Christo his 50th and there were numerous chances. It just wasn't meant to be. That said... he went from a depth guy with NB to a 49-goal scorer here. Win Bowler.
- Onuska didnt play poorly at all. In fact, I'd say he played decently, all things considered. Looking back at the goals, many were defencemen not clearing properly or just getting beat. I don't think that's poor D, so to speak, but a lack of oomph in their play. You can tighten that up in practice.
- That said... Costanzo is your stater. Period.
- A lot of angry fans in the stands tonight, yelling at Onuska, the D, etc etc etc. It's a game that means nothing. Breathe. They're going to be okay. Really.

Maggio will likely finish first overall in points and goals. Congrats to him. The last time a team had the leading scorer in back-to-back seasons was Erie in 13-14 and 14-15 with Brown and Strome, resp.

It sounds like Greentree and Renwick will both be back for Game 1. I don't know about Abraham (heard far too much that conflicts). Last I heard on Spellacy was "maaaaaybe OHL final, more likely Memorial Cup."

6517 was the third largest crowd in WFCU history, behind the opening night of the building and the Memorial Cup final. I just hope the fans know that this wasn't the real Spitfires. You're going to see that in Game 1.

All of that being said... this has been a fun season so far. Nobody expected them to be the first seed, myself included. Nobody expected Maggio to win the scoring title (or have 50 goals). Nobody expected Wright or Harrison or Dionicio. Nobody expected Costanzo, let alone him to be eerily similar to DiPietro. This club has the potential to do some serious damage in the playoffs which, after last season, feels like a bit of gravy to me. Let's have some fun, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad