Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Regarding Shane Wright, according to Jim Parker " The hope is some time on the upcoming three-game road trip."

I have my doubts but hopefully Seattle gives the green light. Petes and 67's are obviously strong opponents.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Regarding Shane Wright, according to Jim Parker " The hope is some time on the upcoming three-game road trip."

Just curious as to where you saw this. I just looked and haven't found it.
What ive learned while away. Wright is being held out by the kraken, could play for sure, working on strengthening the injury site.

I can back this up.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Just curious anyone know approximately how much the 3rd and 4th lines are played by Savard? Thanks

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just curious anyone know approximately how much the 3rd and 4th lines are played by Savard? Thanks
3rd line for most of the game gets a regular rotation. Not much given up between lines 2 and 3. Line 4 normally would get a "fair" part of a regular shift but without Spellacy and even Wright for that matter the 4th line is basically non existent. They play guys from the top 2 lines to make up a 4th line so the normal 4th line guys, usually call ups get some playing time .

Wondering what the Spits travel plans are? Normally would go up today but weather looks at little dicey.

Go Spits Go!!!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The kid has been tearing it up in Jr B so nice to see him get rewarded. With the club losing possibly all of Renwick, Holmes, Sobolev, and Jodoin, adding a nice offensive youngster will help next season.
Yes,always nice to unearth a 10th round pick,local kid to sign,as mentioned has done very well in Jr B this year,1OG,26A in 44 games,including 12 points on the PP,2G,10A,will probably see him on the 2nd PP unit next year,with Christoforo and Dionicio on the 1st unit.
Woodall,DeAngilis, Dionicio and Christoforo good start to the D next year,excluding any OA's.
He is the 5th player to be signed from the 2022 draft,Christoforo, Greentree, Spellacy, Davis the other 4.
I fully expect at least 2 more signed from that draft,both taken in the 6th,goalie Carter Froggett and winger Jack Dean.
That would make 7 if it were to occur, and as mentioned I do see that happening prior to next season.
Last year 4 players signed,Miedema, Ride ,O'Flaherty and Ethan Martin,and only Martin remains in the organization, currently playing in La Salle.
From the 2020 draft Windsor signed 5,Abraham Deangelis, Birkett, Downey and Morneau, though Morneau a 15th rounder was signed this year,and traded a sixth one Coulson Pitre to Flint.
They have since traded Downey to Erie.
The 2015 draft produced the most signed picks 8 including Gabe,Vilardi,Mikey Dipietro, Kyle Auger,Cole Carter,Luke Boka,Cole Purboo, Thomas Stevenson and William Sirman.
The 1st 2 contributed mightily to the Spits Mem Cup in 2017,and others such Boka,Purboo, Stevenson served with distinction here,while Cole Carter finished nicely with Kitchener at the end of his junior career.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Go Spits Go!!!
Yes, would be surprised to see Shayne Wright play tonight,not as much tomorrow at Ottawa,and I would think he would be in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Kingston.
2 of the 3 players dealt in January for Wright ,Dionicio and Castle are really struggling with their new teams.
1stly Ethan Miedema who went to Kingston really struggling to find his game in 18 games has 1G,5A,6Pts,and including his time spent in Windsor has scored only once in the 26 games.
Christopher O'Flaherty traded to Niagara along with dman Bronson Ride, is really finding it hard to have any success, in 24 games he has only 1A, no goals,and now has gone 39 games including 15 with Windsor without scoring a goal.
Now Bronson Ride on the other hand,has been used on the PP,has 2 goals on the PP,and has 7 points,3G,4A in 24 games played,he seems to have settled in there at Niagara being used in all situations.
Interesting Shane Wright who has played only 7 games since arriving in Windsor has 6G,8A,14 points in those 7 games equals the same number of points as Miedema, O'Flaherty and Ride have combined.
I feel bad for Miedema and O'Flaherty particularly was wishing them success wherever they went,fine young men,respectful and come from great families, of course the same for Ride,though he is not struggling like the other 2

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes, would be surprised to see Shayne Wright play tonight,not as much tomorrow at Ottawa,and I would think he would be in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Kingston.
2 of the 3 players dealt in January for Wright ,Dionicio and Castle are really struggling with their new teams.
1stly Ethan Miedema who went to Kingston really struggling to find his game in 18 games has 1G,5A,6Pts,and including his time spent in Windsor has scored only once in the 26 games.
Christopher O'Flaherty traded to Niagara along with dman Bronson Ride, is really finding it hard to have any success, in 24 games he has only 1A, no goals,and now has gone 39 games including 15 with Windsor without scoring a goal.
Now Bronson Ride on the other hand,has been used on the PP,has 2 goals on the PP,and has 7 points,3G,4A in 24 games played,he seems to have settled in there at Niagara being used in all situations.
Interesting Shane Wright who has played only 7 games since arriving in Windsor has 6G,8A,14 points in those 7 games equals the same number of points as Miedema, O'Flaherty and Ride have combined.
I feel bad for Miedema and O'Flaherty particularly was wishing them success wherever they went,fine young men,respectful and come from great families, of course the same for Ride,though he is not struggling like the other 2
Well Castle is really struggling with the Spits so that part of the deal is a wash at this point .

Wondering out loud if any of the JRb kids made the trip with the Spits? Anyone making the trip would not be available for LaSalle all weekend.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Big eastern trip here. Hopefully this one is the complete opposite as are other long road trip a few weeks back. Some tough, tough eastern conference games here against the Pete's and 67s, kind of a measuring stick to gauge are matchup against the best of the east, nice to see that this year as we had to wait to the league finals last year to see the best in the east. Also cant take Kingston easy as well, or any team for that matter. Hope to see a strong performance from all involved. Let's see if Savard starts his 1a Onuska tonight vs the Pete's and vs Ottawa, mine as well hes earned it with his play this season and it's not like were vying for a championship or anything, I just feel Savard just has a soft spot for him, because his play in his OHL career and us going all in, it really makes no sense what else Savard is doing, it was a battle for top spot In the conference, like what in the hell do you tell yourself to keep going with the Fantasy of a 1A and 1B, a second year goalie is far and beyond outplaying are wasted O/A Slot. Its let down after let down with Onuska in net. No but seriously he was solid in net for almost a whole 65 minutes against the knights, then let in 2 weaker goals that he probably wishes he had back and that's it, story of Onuska, when you need him to make a crucial save, it's just not there usually and Costanzo has been the opposite. You gotta make the saves when your team needs you too in the big moments thats just the way it is when your the goalie and its deflating letting in weaker goals consistently or in the last minutes of the game, it Still is mind bottling he started Onuska. It's just very frustrating, were going all in but Savards doing favors for Onuska, the net should be earned especially because were going for the championship, were not rebuilding, put the best goalie and players out there in the big games, no time for mind games.

Sorry for the Rant. But Anyways hope to see a strong effort!, and hopefully Wright is 120% and ready, no point on tweaking anything, would also help getting Sobolev back, maybe a bit undervalued because he lacks offensively compared to others, but he is the reliable defensive defenseman they need back there and will add some physicality and depth to our blue line. It's much needed!!

Go Spitfires Go

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Big eastern trip here. Hopefully this one is the complete opposite as are other long road trip a few weeks back. Some tough, tough eastern conference games here against the Pete's and 67s, kind of a measuring stick to gauge are matchup against the best of the east, nice to see that this year as we had to wait to the league finals last year to see the best in the east. Also cant take Kingston easy as well, or any team for that matter. Hope to see a strong performance from all involved. Let's see if Savard starts his 1a Onuska tonight vs the Pete's and vs Ottawa, mine as well hes earned it with his play this season and it's not like were vying for a championship or anything, I just feel Savard just has a soft spot for him, because his play in his OHL career and us going all in, it really makes no sense what else Savard is doing, it was a battle for top spot In the conference, like what in the hell do you tell yourself to keep going with the Fantasy of a 1A and 1B, a second year goalie is far and beyond outplaying are wasted O/A Slot. Its let down after let down with Onuska in net. No but seriously he was solid in net for almost a whole 65 minutes against the knights, then let in 2 weaker goals that he probably wishes he had back and that's it, story of Onuska, when you need him to make a crucial save, it's just not there usually and Costanzo has been the opposite. You gotta make the saves when your team needs you too in the big moments thats just the way it is when your the goalie and its deflating letting in weaker goals consistently or in the last minutes of the game, it Still is mind bottling he started Onuska. It's just very frustrating, were going all in but Savards doing favors for Onuska, the net should be earned especially because were going for the championship, were not rebuilding, put the best goalie and players out there, no time for games.

Sorry for the Rant. But Anyways hope to see a strong effort!, and hopefully Wright is 120% and ready, no point on tweaking anything, would also help getting Sobolev back, maybe a bit undervalued because he lacks offensively compared to others, but he is the reliable defensive defenseman they need back there and will add some physicality and depth to our blue line. It's much needed!!

Go Spitfires Go
Won't be shocked but will be disappointed if Onuska gets 2 of 3 this weekend.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Won't be shocked but will be disappointed if Onuska gets 2 of 3 this weekend.
Definitely wouldn't be shocked. I know Savard is probably trying to build Onuskas Confidence up just because if something does happen to Costanzo(Knock on wood) you need Onuska to step up but it also could be doing the opposite effect, your not rewarding Joey with the big games, and the Back to backs, it could be tearing his confidence down or making him second guess himself and change his style. Hope not obviously as I havent been this excited about the next few years of goaltending since Dipietro.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
IF Onuska can get back to his 2021-22 form, I have no issues if they go almost 50/50 the rest of the way. If he struggles, then you go Costanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad