Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
When Brown is returned and Vilardi is healthy, 2 forwards can be cut. If the younger forwards are playing well, 2 older FAs can be released. If the younger players are not ready, they can be sent to Jr. B and the older FAs kept. Not a perfect scenario, but that is the price we pay for winning last year's Mem Cup.

i knew they woudnt have any pics this year, but last year they only have 3 skaters (didnt include baier, hes a goalie) from that draft, thats not good. take a look at london after they won the memorial cup, they had drafted prospects ready to go, they didnt need to rely on everyone elses scraps.

i would rather the fa's vs forcing guys who are not ready, i dont think ddamico or henault would make any other team in the ohl, so dont force it here, but lets not make it out to be 'no lose', its a loss that we didnt have any 17 year olds ready to go.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
But it is a "no lose" situation. Either a FA produces and we're okay, or we have another younger guy in the lineup. Either way, it costs us nothing. The Spitfires have proven success with other teams "scraps" - DiGiacinto immediately comes to mind. Erie released him and he turned into one of the most popular players in recent memory (with pretty solid production). I'm willing to give it at least a pre-season period before writing off the new veterans.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
But it is a "no lose" situation. Either a FA produces and we're okay, or we have another younger guy in the lineup. Either way, it costs us nothing. The Spitfires have proven success with other teams "scraps" - DiGiacinto immediately comes to mind. Erie released him and he turned into one of the most popular players in recent memory (with pretty solid production). I'm willing to give it at least a pre-season period before writing off the new veterans.

its a negative we didnt have any 2000s to step in and take up the spots. like i said, look at london, they had youth ready to go, it is what it is, at least they are protecting kids who are not ready, but its not a great thing, its bad, we delay the process one extra year.

Hkyfan81

Dec 14, 2015
Guelph won and then had the worst team in the country for 2 years with a full stock of draft picks (no sanctions). I think everyone would love more 2000s to be ready but the Spits didn't have a 1st or 3rd rounder last year. All things considered the team looks pretty good coming off a mem cup win with enough of assets to help restock the cupboards.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
its a negative we didnt have any 2000s to step in and take up the spots. like i said, look at london, they had youth ready to go, it is what it is, at least they are protecting kids who are not ready, but its not a great thing, its bad, we delay the process one extra year.

Playfair, MacDougall, Starikov, and Corcoran are all 2000s who will step in and take over from the 96s and 97s we lost to graduation.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Playfair, MacDougall, Starikov, and Corcoran are all 2000s who will step in and take over from the 96s and 97s we lost to graduation.

We had to trade for one of them and the other is an import pick. I trust the import belle side warren does well generally, but look at your competitors, they are going to be better then us plus have more 2000s. I keep saying, when london won in 2016, they didn't need other teams cuts the next year. Why can't we be like that? Why is it bad to have that expectation.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
We had to trade for one of them and the other is an import pick. I trust the import belle side warren does well generally, but look at your competitors, they are going to be better then us plus have more 2000s. I keep saying, when london won in 2016, they didn't need other teams cuts the next year. Why can't we be like that? Why is it bad to have that expectation.

They did just win their 3rd Memorial Cup in 9 years. Won as a host. Something London wasn't so good at being the worst host team in history. And Windsor didn't need any teams cuts in 2010. Completing the back to back run.
I think your outlook is curved to a tad to meet your agenda.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Agreed,with 5-17 year olds and 4-16 year olds,and as I mentioned before having 18/30 players 18 and under is fine by me moving forward
3G,5D and 10 forwards.
They did try to address some concerns by trading for Carrick and and Desanctis, Carrick turned down a contract and Desanctis was deemed not ready,that is one I don't agree with btw.Both are 17 year olds which would have pacified you OHL4LIFE, just think at the end of the day in the great realm of things a non factor.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Agreed,with 5-17 year olds and 4-16 year olds,and as I mentioned before having 18/30 players 18 and under is fine by me moving forward
3G,5D and 10 forwards.
They did try to address some concerns by trading for Carrick and and Desanctis, Carrick turned down a contract and Desanctis was deemed not ready,that is one I don't agree with btw.Both are 17 year olds which would have pacified you OHL4LIFE, just think at the end of the day in the great realm of things a non factor.

So why does london have the ability to win the men cup through the front door and still have 17 year olds ready to go and still have 14 pics to trade for guys this year. Plus have pics in every round the draft after. If they can do it, why can't we

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

So why does london have the ability to win the men cup through the front door and still have 17 year olds ready to go and still have 14 pics to trade for guys this year. Plus have pics in every round the draft after. If they can do it, why can't we

If they lose Jones and Juolevi early and Crawley makes the AHL at 20,they won't be making deals to trade picks,they will trade to add picks in this case.
Also Knights have not been under sanctions for the last 5 years.
Btw London has won 1 Mem Cup in the last 9 years,and Windsor 3 times
Windsor has found ways to win it all that London hasn't.For example all 3 Windsor wins a player has left early, Bailey, Loktionov and Fischer.London has not a cup when a player leaves early.Both times in 05 and 17 no early graduates, they have never won under sanctions and twice of the 3 cup years Windsor didn't have or use their 1st round picks,Fowler in 08 and this past year no 1st rounder,London can't say the same.More then 1 way to win is what I say

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If they lose Jones and Juolevi early and Crawley makes the AHL at 20,they won't be making deals to trade picks,they will trade to add picks in this case.
Also Knights have not been under sanctions for the last 5 years.
Btw London has won 1 Mem Cup in the last 9 years,and Windsor 3 times
Windsor has found ways to win it all that London hasn't.For example all 3 Windsor wins a player has left early, Bailey, Loktionov and Fischer.London has not a cup when a player leaves early.Both times in 05 and 17 no early graduates, they have never won under sanctions and twice of the 3 cup years Windsor didn't have or use their 1st round picks,Fowler in 08 and this past year no 1st rounder,London can't say the same.More then 1 way to win is what I say

I think this is the third time you've talked around my post and not directly at it. Londons asset mabagent allowed them to win the cup, lose marner abd Tkuckuk, and still have 3/4 strong 17 year old enter the old to replace the guys leaving and still had enough assets to trade for Stephens, Vande Sompel and Salituro without trading foudy abd have a full plate of pics left over. They don't need other teams cuts, they always have 17 year old ready to go. Why is it bad to want that? Last years London team is going to be light years ahead of this years Windsor team, plus way more pics in the bank. Why can't we have that. London traded more pics last year then Windsor lost over 5, sanctions can't b an excuse. They lost Marner and tkuckuk early and still beat us in the playoffs.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
London won 7-6 in 13 games between the 2 teams last season,with 1 more home game.
Also didn't beat Erie got knocked out by them yet Erie got beat by Windsor to lose it all.The Erie coach said Erie had never seen Windsor with a full and healthy lineup till the Mem Cup, London never saw Windsor with a healthy full lineup either big difference when healthy Windsor was a good as anybody and they proved it last May

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
London won 7-6 in 13 games between the 2 teams last season,with 1 more home game.
Also didn't beat Erie got knocked out by them yet Erie got beat by Windsor to lose it all.The Erie coach said Erie had never seen Windsor with a full and healthy lineup till the Mem Cup, London never saw Windsor with a healthy full lineup either big difference when healthy Windsor was a good as anybody and they proved it last May

I asked about assets and roster manager, pics and player rosters after a memorial cup win. this had zero to do with what I posted.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008

As I stated earlier and during season, I asked everyone to be patient and see what happens as with all the injuries. Although they lost in the front door playoffs (they were missing some injuries/banged up bodies - i.e. stanley, etc.), I feel the weeks off rest helped them and the coaching staff has to deserve some credit for keeping them focused and in 'game' shape to show everyone what and how they could play up to their potential.

It's time for a new season, sick of hearing/reading complaints and criticizing when we should still be celebrating our achievements :).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

As I stated earlier and during season, I asked everyone to be patient and see what happens as with all the injuries. Although they lost in the front door playoffs (they were missing some injuries/banged up bodies - i.e. stanley, etc.), I feel the weeks off rest helped them and the coaching staff has to deserve some credit for keeping them focused and in 'game' shape to show everyone what and how they could play up to their potential.

It's time for a new season, sick of hearing/reading complaints and criticizing when we should still be celebrating our achievements :).

Agree solid post

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Happy to move on, HL22 said he'd answer my question, three responses later I'm still waiting

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Thank you - ground hog day part deux:)

member 71782

All I'm hoping for is better asset management going forward.

Rychel has shown he can build a winner but he has also shown he can mess it up.

A little restraint this year and next will go a long ways towards properly rebuilding and future success.

Windsor needs to get in the habit of keeping a full slate of picks, dealing to bring in extra 2nds and 3rds to build through the draft with, always have assets to move for more picks or future 2nds and 3rds to deal in a year they are in a position to make a run.

There is no reason why a team can't be consistently competitive every year while still being in a position to make a run as a serious contender while still having assets to build with.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
I think this is the third time you've talked around my post and not directly at it. Londons asset mabagent allowed them to win the cup, lose marner abd Tkuckuk, and still have 3/4 strong 17 year old enter the old to replace the guys leaving and still had enough assets to trade for Stephens, Vande Sompel and Salituro without trading foudy abd have a full plate of pics left over. They don't need other teams cuts, they always have 17 year old ready to go. Why is it bad to want that? Last years London team is going to be light years ahead of this years Windsor team, plus way more pics in the bank. Why can't we have that. London traded more pics last year then Windsor lost over 5, sanctions can't b an excuse. They lost Marner and tkuckuk early and still beat us in the playoffs.

You say the sanctions aren't an excuse, but in reality, they are the reason you don't have those prospects ready to go. Having those high draft picks if what you need to restock the prospects cupboard. How would you like, in addition to Corcoran, Playfair, Angle, etc. they had guys like Foudy, Entwistle and Perrott. Not in such a bad state, huh? Realistically, had they had those players, they wouldn't get away with keeping all of them for their run last year. But still, trading them allows you to keep draft picks (keeping the draft pick cupboard stocked) and everything would be in a neutral state. You can't just say to ignore the fact that they lost a high draft pick practically every year since the sanctions began and still expect them to come out with the same state as a franchise that scouts and runs as well as London. It doesn't work that way.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
All I'm hoping for is better asset management going forward.

Rychel has shown he can build a winner but he has also shown he can mess it up.

A little restraint this year and next will go a long ways towards properly rebuilding and future success.

Windsor needs to get in the habit of keeping a full slate of picks, dealing to bring in extra 2nds and 3rds to build through the draft with, always have assets to move for more picks or future 2nds and 3rds to deal in a year they are in a position to make a run.

There is no reason why a team can't be consistently competitive every year while still being in a position to make a run as a serious contender while still having assets to build with.

Completely agree, WR needs to think twice when spending assets. As good of pickups as players like Brown are, worth their draft picks they gave up, he can't be throwing away so many picks on players like Bateman. I also agree this team has the ability to consistently be competitive, and now that the sanctions are over, I think they will be able to do that for now on IF a proper rebuild cleanout of players is done for assets to be in a neutral state.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Why does it matter how we acquired them? They're stepping in and taking over from the vets. When London won in 2016, they had a team that had been together for multiple seasons. You're looking for a club that wins, then has elite 16-and-17-year-olds step right in and take over with the same production. It's not happening.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
5-2 Windsor final tonight. Baier was in net for the entire game - two goals allowed late. Luchuk had two, plus one assist. Mizzi had one as did Larionov. I can't recall the other goal. A very energetic game. Pretty much what you'd like to see from a pre-season game minus the early penalty trouble from Windsor. However, that did lead to two SHG in the same penalty. Announced crowd was 3,900+; maybe 2,000 there. But, good to see we'll still get 4,000 for games.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
5-2 Windsor final tonight. Baier was in net for the entire game - two goals allowed late. Luchuk had two, plus one assist. Mizzi had one as did Larionov. I can't recall the other goal. A very energetic game. Pretty much what you'd like to see from a pre-season game minus the early penalty trouble from Windsor. However, that did lead to two SHG in the same penalty. Announced crowd was 3,900+; maybe 2,000 there. But, good to see we'll still get 4,000 for games.

MacDougal had the other goal, kid had a great game, so did LOUIS LATTA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland