Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Multiple teams have said these guys are not good enough. it's not a situation where a 17 year old had a few bad days at another CHL camp and a month later

Agreed, if you want to make a case for a 17 year old free agent I understand that. Most likely he hasn't reached his ceiling, he's another lottery ticket. These guys are merely stop gaps because of lack of youngsters in the organization. I am surprised with all these openings there weren't any real young free agents jumping at the opportunity to play here.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Multiple teams have said these guys are not good enough. it's not a situation where a 17 year old had a few bad days at another CHL camp and a month later is signed by us. That was a nice pick up. These guys are all old and cut multiple times by poor to average teams. our goal shouldn't be to get other teams scraps, our goal should be to have young players ready to go. all I can do is look at other teams who win and are able to have young players step in for those that graduate. It's fine that we are going to be sub par this year, but we shouldn't be happy that we're doing it with kids who are not good enough for other teams and too old to be around in 2 years when we start again. if they where 2000s and walk ons, great, let's see what then can do, but they are not.

we shouldn't have to rely on other teams scraps, and if other posters think that's fine and dandy, I'm not sure how else to say it. I'd like to think we are better then other teams cast offs.

I think you are grossly misrepresenting the true facts re the free agents this team has brought in Larionov has been injured most of the last 3 years wasn't cut from the Q, chose to leave and return home, Warren saw him play with Yakupov and Loktionov in the summer and decided if he can play with them there is a spot here, Mizzi played 4 games in A, picked up 2 points asked if he could leave wasn't getting ice and came back here,Jake Smith an o/A wanted back in Ontario as well,scored 22 goals,22 assists too,played 2 years in the Q,one in Germany,has speed and a great shot.Latta before last year put up numbers everywhere he played has good size and speed,size being a factor on a smaller then usual team,won't back down and as Rychel said last night you can't have all 16 and 17 year olds,and I agree a nice mix of age,9 players 17 and under is fine by me.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Agreed, if you want to make a case for a 17 year old free agent I understand that. Most likely he hasn't reached his ceiling, he's another lottery ticket. These guys are merely stop gaps because of lack of youngsters in the organization. I am surprised with all these openings there weren't any real young free agents jumping at the opportunity to play here.

Most of the 17 year old free
agents were drafted in 17 year old priority draft.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Multiple teams have said these guys are not good enough. it's not a situation where a 17 year old had a few bad days at another CHL camp and a month later is signed by us. That was a nice pick up. These guys are all old and cut multiple times by poor to average teams. our goal shouldn't be to get other teams scraps, our goal should be to have young players ready to go. all I can do is look at other teams who win and are able to have young players step in for those that graduate. It's fine that we are going to be sub par this year, but we shouldn't be happy that we're doing it with kids who are not good enough for other teams and too old to be around in 2 years when we start again. if they where 2000s and walk ons, great, let's see what then can do, but they are not.

we shouldn't have to rely on other teams scraps, and if other posters think that's fine and dandy, I'm not sure how else to say it. I'd like to think we are better then other teams cast offs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that a number of these FA are on a kind of card that allows them to play a number of games without locking in the use of a card that would count against the teams total for the year. I know some of the youngsters can play a few games while being on B cards.
If I'm correct then these FA players give the team some flexibility while others are away at NHL camps.
If they make the final cut great, if not they had a shot and filled a team need. You note the Spits haven't run around saying this guy or that guy has been signed....

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well the spits won a glorified pond hockey game yesterday.
A few players stood out on the team. While a bunch didn't play well at all.
Lots of penalties windsor took. Though no pp goals for Sting this is a awful trend windsor has. Just taking dumb penalty after dumb penalty just because they arnt fasr enough or strong enough to keep up with the play.
Maybe 2000 fans at the game to watch the practice game. I am guessing going to be lots of eats available this season for fans. Spits r going to have to do lots of promoting this year. Which just hurts the sth but what else is new

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

You knock Spits efforts of signing free agents,yet if the Spits didn't make the playoffs because of a youth laden, inexperienced lineup,you would be the 1st to bark and complain,you can't suck and blow at the same time,in a year with graduation,along with possible heavy under graduation to boot, not complaining,an undenial able fact,coming out of sanctions,going all in to win and doing it,unlike some teams,it amazes me u don't have understanding how things work, unless you have been a GM before that we are unaware of,you refuse to let things play out,you think you have all the answers,course you are same guy who last year knocked their drafting and trading, development,yet the results at the end obliterated your rigid,no allowance for the opposite view of others, the fact that this team has won 3 times in 9 years, moving on to a new phrase.At the end of the day a balanced roster of youth and experience works for me and I am sure for many of the paying customers too.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Well the spits won a glorified pond hockey game yesterday.
A few players stood out on the team. While a bunch didn't play well at all.
Lots of penalties windsor took. Though no pp goals for Sting this is a awful trend windsor has. Just taking dumb penalty after dumb penalty just because they arnt fasr enough or strong enough to keep up with the play.
Maybe 2000 fans at the game to watch the practice game. I am guessing going to be lots of eats available this season for fans. Spits r going to have to do lots of promoting this year. Which just hurts the sth but what else is new

Aw the positive words from our most enlightened fan, perhaps you can share with the masses what this team coming off winning the Mem Cup for the 3rd time in 9 years,in the face of not only normal graduation of players but perhaps adnormal early graduation is to do.
Play all 17 year olds with some 16 year olds,get hammered on a nightly basis,don't make the playoffs,then people like you complain some more,instead of waiting to see how things unfold,patience and understanding is the key not vilifications.
I only saw a couple or 3 guys with had nights, other wise everybody played well, special teams were great,I was impressed with the up tempo game,as most were that I spoke to, goaltending solid,some nice rushed by Staios,or did u missed that.
Mistakes in preseason are
correctable,I am sure anything wrong seen by the staff will be addressed.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

You knock Spits efforts of signing free agents,yet if the Spits didn't make the playoffs because of a youth laden, inexperienced lineup,you would be the 1st to bark and complain,you can't suck and blow at the same time,in a year with graduation,along with possible heavy under graduation to boot, not complaining,an undenial able fact,coming out of sanctions,going all in to win and doing it,unlike some teams,it amazes me u don't have understanding how things work, unless you have been a GM before that we are unaware of,you refuse to let things play out,you think you have all the answers,course you are same guy who last year knocked their drafting and trading, development,yet the results at the end obliterated your rigid,no allowance for the opposite view of others, the fact that this team has won 3 times in 9 years, moving on to a new phrase.At the end of the day a balanced roster of youth and experience works for me and I am sure for many of the paying customers too.

Nowhere am I knocking their efforts to sign free agents. I am merely agreeing with OHL4Life it's disappointing the free agent signings are guys that have limited upside or reached their ceiling. I am very impressed by your tone this year "can't suck and blow", positive words from an "enlightened fan", you used a derogatory comment earlier as well in this thread. I don't have an understanding of how things work but let me guess you know the ins and outs and you shoot it straight no sugarcoating? Refusing to let things play out there hasn't been a game yet and some individuals are skeptical of some 19 year old free agents a majority of who will be on the team.

It's clear based upon your comments you aren't interested in having a civilized discussion. I am thinking this year the discussion should be between you and ohltg, occasionally some punch, ohl4life, scokan, and youngblood. Enjoy your season.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Aw the positive words from our most enlightened fan, perhaps you can share with the masses what this team coming off winning the Mem Cup for the 3rd time in 9 years,in the face of not only normal graduation of players but perhaps adnormal early graduation is to do.
Play all 17 year olds with some 16 year olds,get hammered on a nightly basis,don't make the playoffs,then people like you complain some more,instead of waiting to see how things unfold,patience and understanding is the key not vilifications.
I only saw a couple or 3 guys with had nights, other wise everybody played well, special teams were great,I was impressed with the up tempo game,as most were that I spoke to, goaltending solid,some nice rushed by Staios,or did u missed that.
Mistakes in preseason are
correctable,I am sure anything wrong seen by the staff will be addressed.

I am some greatful to hear your opinion about me.
Thx u.

I just not buying into your sunshine and rainbows routine.
Not drinking the kool-aid.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They lost 2nd round picks that doesn't preclude them from acquiring other 2nd round picks which is an avenue you completely ignored not surprisingly.

I didn't ignore anything. That's almost exactly what I said - " The seconds would have meant less assets dealt to gain other seconds, which puts more picks in the cupboard." You have the original seconds, you don't deal more assets to recoup them.

Like you ignored my comment earlier 14 other teams or so in the OHL passed on Latta and the Spits were there to scoop him up. Maybe the Spits see something other teams don't. Considering he's already 19 had a poor showing last year I would say a lot of other teams have more talented players.

Who knows why teams passed on him. Do you?

Players that didn't develop or weren't good picks that they sold low on visa-vis Verity, Murray, Brown, Maletta, Webermin, Sanvido.

Murray/Brown were solid picks. Maletta was dealt for two good picks and turned out to be a productive OHL player. Sanvido was a Dallas pick and was a reliable D for us. I'd take any of those four on our team again.

I think you are grossly misrepresenting the true facts re the free agents this team has brought in Larionov has been injured most of the last 3 years wasn't cut from the Q, chose to leave and return home, Warren saw him play with Yakupov and Loktionov in the summer and decided if he can play with them there is a spot here, Mizzi played 4 games in A, picked up 2 points asked if he could leave wasn't getting ice and came back here,Jake Smith an o/A wanted back in Ontario as well,scored 22 goals,22 assists too,played 2 years in the Q,one in Germany,has speed and a great shot.Latta before last year put up numbers everywhere he played has good size and speed,size being a factor on a smaller then usual team,won't back down and as Rychel said last night you can't have all 16 and 17 year olds,and I agree a nice mix of age,9 players 17 and under is fine by me.

Bingo. The idea that a player being cut means he has no value to other teams is odd. Players have their reasons for leaving.

Sounds like you were there, watching the "practice game."

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
It's clear based upon your comments you aren't interested in having a civilized discussion. I am thinking this year the discussion should be between you and ohltg, occasionally some punch, ohl4life, scokan, and youngblood. Enjoy your season.[/QUOTE]

I am some greatful to hear your opinion about me.
Thx u.

I just not buying into your sunshine and rainbows routine.
Not drinking the kool-aid.

It's not about drinking the kool-aid, sometimes people will post a more positive post after Rayzer, or yourself to turn the discussion, or change the subject....why? because you guys are always negative!! The Spit's can will the biggest prize in junior hockey and one of you will always be....."Ya but...." I understand this is an open board but you guy's always post the negative. On game nights when the Spit's win in good fashion you guys are no where to be found, when the Spit's lose a game within 10 minutes after the game you guys are posting complaints. When asked about why you don't post after a big win you both throw out the "I have been busy with other things....blah blah blah. I call BS!! It's junior hockey you can't have all or nothing seasons, you guys mentally set the standards too high based on your opinions,these are 16-20 yearold's.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
It's not about drinking the kool-aid, sometimes people will post a more positive post after Rayzer, or yourself to turn the discussion, or change the subject....why? because you guys are always negative!! The Spit's can will the biggest prize in junior hockey and one of you will always be....."Ya but...." I understand this is an open board but you guy's always post the negative. On game nights when the Spit's win in good fashion you guys are no where to be found, when the Spit's lose a game within 10 minutes after the game you guys are posting complaints. When asked about why you don't post after a big win you both throw out the "I have been busy with other things....blah blah blah. I call BS!! It's junior hockey you can't have all or nothing seasons, you guys mentally set the standards too high based on your opinions,these are 16-20 yearold's.

I agree 100% with this. I'm all for healthy debate and differing opinions but it's ridiculous with the super critics on here. Yes it's a fan board & they'll be cheerleaders & banter with other fan bases. That's fun and normal but the degree of negative posts on any and all topic matters real or imagined is disturbing. If they're just troll accounts having some fun whatever but go do something else than torment yourself with this team if your outlook truly is so horrible. It can't be enjoyable & may even take years off your life lol. It must be comical to other fans who's teams have never had the chance to win anything to read some of the stuff off this board.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Bingo. The idea that a player being cut means he has no value to other teams is odd. Players have their reasons for leaving.

my only point, and you and hl11 never touch on it when i post it, is why do we need these guys? shouldnt there be a plan in place that allows for other 17 year olds to take their spot. this is the first time in recent memory that an ohl memorial cup team needs 4 teams other cuts to get them a full roster. why is that not a topic that we are allowed to discuss?

for those who say im simply a troll or too negative....
sorry guys again, i quit. im a happy go lucky guy and actaully think we could have a pretty special year if we make smart moves, im excited by some of the 2000s, staios and baier,i just dont get anyone who has a question about something about hockey operations and asset management that isnt approved by a few guys gets shouted down.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
ill make it simpler, what other teams could these guys play on? smith sure, no issue there, he has proven that he can play in the chl. but who else needs these guys. i think even warren said in the paper he has no choice, he needs to find guys to fill out the roster.

It's not a matter of "needing" a player, but giving them a chance. What does it hurt Windsor to bring in some veteran FAs? Can you show me the link to the quote where WR said this?

my only point, and you and hl11 never touch on it when i post it, is why do we need these guys? shouldnt there be a plan in place that allows for other 17 year olds to take their spot. this is the first time in recent memory that an ohl memorial cup team needs 4 teams other cuts to get them a full roster. why is that not a topic that we are allowed to discuss?

I did touch on it. We have MacDougall, Playfair, Angle, Corcoran, and Starikov who are all coming in to replace the veterans who left. Yes, we have four free agents but that's normal in this situation. Players are gone to NHL camps (Brown/Vilardi specifically) and we have a solid history of finding good FAs. If Windsor had a first round pick last year, they'd have another 17-year-old in the mix, but sanctions.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If the Wolves recently won a Memorial Cup, I wouldn't complain ever. lol It's surprising to me how someone can complain about Windsor's accomplishments, especially when they won a Memorial Cup last year.

To question the Windsor organization continuously is not fair to the organization for the accomplishments they have done recent years.

Windsor has a great thing going keep up the good work.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

for those who say im simply a troll or too negative....
sorry guys again, i quit. im a happy go lucky guy and actaully think we could have a pretty special year if we make smart moves, im excited by some of the 2000s, staios and baier,i just dont get anyone who has a question about something about hockey operations and asset management that isnt approved by a few guys gets shouted down.

Nobody disapproved your view. The rebuttals simply pointed out the several reasons that contributed to why they aren't in a position to fulfill your expectations. But you for whatever reason have decided to ignore those arguments.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Not trying to speak for OHL4Life but you're not grasping what he's saying about these free agents. These current free agents have most likely maxed out their potential in junior hockey. In other words they have hit their ceiling. No it doesn't particularly matter where players come from but age does certainly matter in some instances. Some of these guys are 19 certainly not overage candidates or shouldn't be. Like you ignored my comment earlier 14 other teams or so in the OHL passed on Latta and the Spits were there to scoop him up. Maybe the Spits see something other teams don't. Considering he's already 19 had a poor showing last year I would say a lot of other teams have more talented players.

They lost 2nd round picks that doesn't preclude them from acquiring other 2nd round picks which is an avenue you completely ignored not surprisingly.

Players that didn't develop or weren't good picks that they sold low on visa-vis Verity, Murray, Brown, Maletta, Webermin, Sanvido.

I agree with everything you say except that Maletta didn't develop. He was traded before he developed and eventually was signed by Columbus and is currently in the AHL.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just FYI - Staios is a 2001 and Baier is a 1999.

right, which is why i said 2000s, and then said staios and baier.staois played on vaughan and is a duel citizen think he wore 44 there?, baier played on listewel and was undrafted playing in huron perth. i pay attention minor hockey and the ohl cup. i dont pretend i know more scouting wise, i dont, i just like to know the kids coming up

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's not a matter of "needing" a player, but giving them a chance.

im not bothering anymore, you dont want to say for some reason 'it would be better for us long term if we had better 17 year olds here, we probably should have planned better', thats all. i give up, not allowed to ask or to hope for better.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
im not bothering anymore, you dont want to say for some reason 'it would be better for us long term if we had better 17 year olds here, we probably should have planned better', thats all. i give up, not allowed to ask or to hope for better.
Because someone doesn't agree with you, re-posting the same thing 100 times is not going to get them to suddenly agree. Rarely do I agree with Razor ( sometimes I do:)) but I'm not going to post many times thinking he is going to change his mind - everything on here is your "opinion" you are entitled to it but don't expect much change out of any poster after a few repetitive posts.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
We went all in to win a cup knowing full well that doing so would leave us in a horrible position to build up again quickly. We traded picks and assets through the wazoo but it worked, and we won. Now we have a crappy future for a couple of seasons and work is required to get back on track. It's not a surprise, it was to be expected. I don't get it, there was an established plan, we all knew what it was and what the consequences would be. Now we are dealing with those consequences, which was part of the plan all along. Where is the issue? I'm lost, honestly. If we should "be more like London" like some posters suggested, what moves do we make to ensure this happens? I'm dying to hear these computer hockey geniuses tell us what should happen. I'm sure Windsor would have attracted way more free agents with OHL4life or Rayzor as GM instead of Warren. The hockeynews would have put us at the top of their survey for sure.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
right, which is why i said 2000s,

Oxford Comma :laugh: "2000s, Staios and Baier,..." reads Staios and Baier are 2000s. If you said "2000s, Staios, and Baier", then that's three separate things. Hence the confusion.

We have four 17-year-olds - Corcoran, Angle, Starikov, and MacDougall - who are ready and able to step in. You want 17-year-olds ready to step in? There you go. We lost our first-round pick due to sanctions. WR stepped up and got two young guys this off-season to counter that. What more would you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad