Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
In Baier's case he was drafted as a 17 year old last year in the 10th,wound up having a monster year in JrB, wasn't going to be the backup last year with it being a run year anyway, Stevenson was injured last year so he missed camp,he looked impressive in his rookie camp,he was a late born,so combined with the injury and late birthday it's like a 2nd year to me,besides since he was here in 2015, he was 168 lbs,he is now 205 lbs, physical maturity matters too.
As Sirman another late birthday guy Nov/99 appears to have found his game,is stronger then before,has surprised me,though I thought he had a real strong rookie camp.
With the absence of drafted players from last year 1,3,5 ,7,8,9, it doesn't bother me that late birthday guys make it.

I agree. all I ask is let's not pretend they are here because they beat out other great players, they are here because we have nothing else, and odds are when we are set to go again, they will have moved on. Stevenson i think could be a decent 5/6, Baier will only be valuable if dipietro is mived, otherwise he's only getting 15 starts.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The other teams had players from the sixth round and on. That's not a "late round" pick. I said that players like Locke are rare - 13th rounder that scores 40+ goals. That's a fact - two have been selected. I also said that Windsor has a history (since the current regime took over) of finding success in the later rounds (10th and beyond). Not all players were Locke-esque (ie. 40g), but they were productive and successful (ie. Posa)

the scouting staff has completely turned over since then. there's no reason to think
They can do it again. the last 8-10 years are evidence of what they are capable of with late round picks. It's average at best with the current staff, no stand outs. 2 guys 10 years ago has nothing to do with now.

its like saying i got an a in grade 7 math, i got c's in grade 8,9,10,11 and 12, but im good at math because i got an a in grade 7. no, your are what you are, a c student.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Agreed with you and Ares. The question becomes if a guy like Stevenson struggles in his rookie year as an 18 year old do you stick with him or do you want to start getting a look at Henault.

Pretty sure they will go with 7 guys,so far thru camp and exhibition Stevenson has looked really steady,plays a safe strong game,good 1st past,he is physically more mature then Henault or Staios, because of the maturity and a little
older he turns 18 in a month,I will be surprised he fails miserably,willing to wait and see.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
its like saying i got an a in grade 7 math, i got c's in grade 8,9,10,11 and 12, but im good at math because i got an a in grade 7. no, your are what you are, a c student.

Except that Grades 8-12 are purposely more difficult than grade 7. If we were comparing Jr B to AHL or NHL, then sure. While the scouting staff has turned over since, Rychel hasn't and the philosophy of the team hasn't. It's not night-and-day or anything.

It'll be an interesting opening month to see how players adjust, regardless.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Except that Grades 8-12 are purposely more difficult than grade 7. If we were comparing Jr B to AHL or NHL, then sure. While the scouting staff has turned over since, Rychel hasn't and the philosophy of the team hasn't. It's not night-and-day or anything.

That's false, the philosophy has changed. Boughner's teams were playing a far different style than that of Thompson. Now there is a different coach this time around. I don't believe Boughner's players would have been able to play the style of Thompson they still might have been able to win games but Thompson would need to adjust. Just as Boughner probably wouldn't have enjoyed trying to play the style he did with Thompson's players.

For instance Thompson had a very good PK in Windsor but it wasn't one that would put a lot of pressure on the opposition and create shorthanded opportunities. Under Thompson they had 12 SHG over 2 years. In 08/09 Windsor had 17 SHG goals, and 11 in 09/10. The game has also changed over the past 8-9 years. If you have great talent you should win but the game is different so you need to adjust. So to say the philosophy is the same well that's plain wrong.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The style of the game has changed, but not the way the team has approached the game itself. That's what I mean by philosophy. Save from last year, everyone has a chance to make the club and we've seen some kids at least given a shot (many have failed, no question).

Netter

Jan 14, 2016
it's all good. I think so too, which is why I'm fine with the filler guys, let's just not make them into something they are not is all. none of these guys make other teams in the league. let them lose, trade all the guys with valuefor a boatload of assets and turn the corner next year. they could be contenders in 18 months if they do it right.

i agree, good team to watch this year , and Next, Great year !!!!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

ill try a new way to go at this...

we where talking about the fact that the spits had no high pics, you said the spits have a good history with late picks. we looked it up, and they havent had a late round pick make the team in like, 8 years. you then kind of pivoted to saying they had one kid with alot of points drafted in the late round 10 years ago. that wasnt what we where talking about, we where talking about the fact that they need to hit on more late picks. they havent, so what one kid 10 years ago has to do with anything, i have no idea. one kid isnt history, its an anomoly. maybe this year the late round pick guys make it, but lets be honest, they are only here because we didnt have anyone else. thats fine, but lets not paint it with anything but an honest brush. it wasnt like they beat out other high pics, its all we had.

im good with that, let the spits bottom out and recoup assets, but lets not say that thess guys, the fa signings and mid round 16 year olds are here because they are great, they are here because its all we have. it may work out, it may not, but its not like we had any other choice.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i agree, good team to watch this year , and Next, Great year !!!!

if we move guys like dipietro, vilardi and brown and can get 2/3 first round pick 01s and 5-10 high pics, we could probably be in a great position next year. if we hold onto them, who knows. with the way the nhl is vilardi could make the league at 19. why hold onto them when we arent going to be very good, lets just move them and accelerate things a year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sorry I'm bored with the same discussion for days - My question have the Spits settled on a third coach yet - I know they hired a guy for skills development but is he going to be the 3rd guy behind the bench or are they going with just 2?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
if we move guys like dipietro, vilardi and brown and can get 2/3 first round pick 01s and 5-10 high pics, we could probably be in a great position next year. if we hold onto them, who knows. with the way the nhl is vilardi could make the league at 19. why hold onto them when we arent going to be very good, lets just move them and accelerate things a year.

Easier said than done methinks. The 3 guys you mention probably have NT clauses and thus have a choice in staying or going and if so determining destinations. Seems to me we've had problems recently in that regard. Another factor that comes into play is the STH. If you clean house too early you risk offending the people who put the $$$ on the table every year.
A 3rd factor that will influence the rebuilding timetable is Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law. We appear to be starting off the season with Vilardi injured. What happens when another of our few 'key players' gets injured? If it happens to be DiPietro then Baier will have to play a lot more games than the 15 projected.
Let's just settle in for a bit and see what happens in the first month.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Easier said than done methinks. The 3 guys you mention probably have NT clauses and thus have a choice in staying or going and if so determining destinations. Seems to me we've had problems recently in that regard. Another factor that comes into play is the STH. If you clean house too early you risk offending the people who put the $$$ on the table every year.
A 3rd factor that will influence the rebuilding timetable is Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law. We appear to be starting off the season with Vilardi injured. What happens when another of our few 'key players' gets injured? If it happens to be DiPietro then Baier will have to play a lot more games than the 15 projected.

you woudlnt trade them until the trade deadline. i have no idea why they would not want to move on if the team is doing poorly, which it probably will be due to the fact that we are relying on guys like mizzi and larionov. if you want to keep them fine, just dont complain in a few years when things havent progressed or at the draft when we have no picks between rounds 2-5. we cant have these guys and rebuild at the same time. we have no other way to get picks, and we have no picks for the next few years. no pics equals no rebuild and needing to rely on other teams cuts again and again.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

sorry, forgot to add, we are going to probably finish in the bottom 2/3 anyways, whats it matter who plays where this year. we have nother as a potential top pairing guy, players who have been cut by other teams more then once are on our team, the signs are there, its going to be a lost year. we wont do well regardless, the results will be the same, at least if baier starts 30 we know what he is and can find out if we need a new goalie next year. playing 15 wont tell us anything

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Timing is everything when it's time to sell and recoup. They probably want to wait and see, one how the team settles in and two how the league takes shape. Other than London having a strong team nothing is a given at this level to an extent. I wouldn't mind seeing them wait until the January window to acquire first year players over picks if that option presents itself. As much of this debate revolves around a lack of young players with high ceilings in the organization.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
you woudlnt trade them until the trade deadline. i have no idea why they would not want to move on if the team is doing poorly, which it probably will be due to the fact that we are relying on guys like mizzi and larionov. if you want to keep them fine, just dont complain in a few years when things havent progressed or at the draft when we have no picks between rounds 2-5. we cant have these guys and rebuild at the same time. we have no other way to get picks, and we have no picks for the next few years. no pics equals no rebuild and needing to rely on other teams cuts again and again.
You wouldn't trade them until the trade deadline
That's assuming they want to be here in the first place.
You misunderstood me. Everything is not cut and dried. IMHO you deal everyone except DiPietro and Vilardi if the timing and price is right. Sometimes you just don't have a choice regarding the timing.
Personally if I'm the agent of a number of these guys returning I'd see if I can get my guy placed where he'll get the best exposure. eg.. Boka, Kutkevicius, DiPietro. In the case of DiPietro he might not want to be exposed playing behind an average defence as opposed to the top defence he had in front of him last year.
Would Brown look better on a top team? You bet your sweet azz he would. Same goes for Luchuk and Purboo.
Others who are longshots to return are in the same boat.....Misha,Day and Bracco...none are expected back but if they were shipped back would it not be better for them career wise to play on a contender.
As for not being in the top 2/3 ..you are spot on ..it will be a challenge to make 8th...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You wouldn't trade them until the trade deadline
That's assuming they want to be here in the first place.
You misunderstood me. Everything is not cut and dried. IMHO you deal everyone except DiPietro and Vilardi if the timing and price is right. Sometimes you just don't have a choice regarding the timing.
Personally if I'm the agent of a number of these guys returning I'd see if I can get my guy placed where he'll get the best exposure. eg.. Boka, Kutkevicius, DiPietro. In the case of DiPietro he might not want to be exposed playing behind an average defence as opposed to the top defence he had in front of him last year.
Would Brown look better on a top team? You bet your sweet azz he would. Same goes for Luchuk and Purboo.
Others who are longshots to return are in the same boat.....Misha,Day and Bracco...none are expected back but if they were shipped back would it not be better for them career wise to play on a contender.
As for not being in the top 2/3 ..you are spot on ..it will be a challenge to make 8th...

first of all thanks, i think we are on the same page regarding expectations. its a bad year, might as well get what you can for everyone. i cant see anyone having any interest in purboo either lol.

regarding not wanting to be here, i would assume that if the agents know that the trade would happen over the world junior break, they would be fine with it. its not like this is the first time that a team was trading a star player and barely a playoff team, it happens often, i can only go from past experiences. i disagree with not trading dipiertro and vilardi, i just think you can get more for them now and vilardi may make the nhl next year. with dipietro you get more this year plus you get more time to figure out if baier is any good. plus we need picks now, not next year, it could be argued that this is the most important draft in the last 10 years, going into it with no 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th, round pics will set this whole thing back another year. we can agree to disagree there.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I would like someone to explain why there are no cuts going to The LaSalle Vipers.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I would like someone to explain why there are no cuts going to The LaSalle Vipers.

A good and fair question.
LaSalle has 2 cards for 16 year olds are Stefan Dobrich a Spits late round pick a dman,and the prospect for Owen Sound,local kid named Shaw, forgot his 1st name.
It's bothered me in the last couple of seasons that despite the Savages owning La Salle and a decent size minority share with Windsor,that La Salle isn't treated more like a farm club.
In my view those 2 -16: year old spots should be held for 2 higher picked players signed and assigned by Windsor,say in this year's case D'amico and Frasca, the fact that Frasca was sent to Chatham is proof of this lack of room.
They could have signed Austin Brimmer, but he and the family preferred not going to Chatham,he has a 85 average in school,so instead will play for 1 team plus be an AP for another,I am sure he will sign some time this year.
But yes different schools of thought by LaSalle and Windsor doesn't help the Windsor situation,It would be different if Dobrich were a high ranked prospect but he isn't, should play C or back to triple A for development.
Hope things change in future.

Last edited:

Southwest76

Sep 3, 2016
To my knowledge, LaSalle only has two 16 year old cards which were given to Stefan Dobrich & Aaron Shaw! Unless they acquire another through trade they are ineligible to sign any more 2001 born players the Spits have released

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Canucks who originally had a 43 man camp roster to 62, including the 3 Goalies used in their rookie tournament,Michael Dipietro being one of them.Guessing he will return enough in time for the season opener next Thursday here in Windsor.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
To my knowledge, LaSalle only has two 16 year old cards which were given to Stefan Dobrich & Aaron Shaw! Unless they acquire another through trade they are ineligible to sign any more 2001 born players the Spits have released

Some leagues have gotten rid of the trade rule. They can still acquire an additional 16 yr old card but its more complicated. A lottery type system. Teams must apply for an additional 16yr old card for a specific player, other teams must forfeit 16 yr old card. Then there is a draw to see who gets them. Stupid IMO.

More of these 16 yr olds should look at 50/60/70 games in Maj Mid and AP for 10 in JrB as well as practice with JrB all year rather than be a 4th line or 6/7 D in JrB. The kids that get PT its great for but many taking that 2nd card get buried and it hurts development.

Just not enough jrB spots with PT for these 1 year removed minor midget kids. Too many get get buried with no PT and it hurts development.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
A good and fair question.
LaSalle has 2 cards for 16 year olds are Stefan Dobrich a Spits late round pick a dman,and the prospect for Owen Sound,local kid named Shaw, forgot his 1st name.
It's bothered me in the last couple of seasons that despite the Savages owning La Salle and a decent size minority share with Windsor,that La Salle isn't treated more like a farm club.
In my view those 2 -16: year old spots should be held for 2 higher picked players signed and assigned by Windsor,say in this year's case D'amico and Frasca, the fact that Frasca was sent to Chatham is proof of this lack of room.
They could have signed Austin Brimmer, but he and the family preferred not going to Chatham,he has a 85 average in school,so instead will play for 1 team plus be an AP for another,I am sure he will sign some time this year.
But yes different schools of thought by LaSalle and Windsor doesn't help the Windsor situation,It would be different if Dobrich were a high ranked prospect but he isn't, should play C or back to triple A for development.
Hope things change in future.

Id like to see OHL teams steer more kids to their local Maj Midget teams (that allows for almost full time practice with jr A squad or JrB squad)
60 or so games in Maj Midget + 10 JrA games as an AP + JrB op for 10 games if not ready for OHL.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'm sure most figured that Sergachev wasn't coming back next year but it's pretty much official now

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
hes got nothing left to prove here, hes ready for the next level

He has nothing to prove, but the Lightning have Koekkoek and Dotchin, both of whom they like and receive a 2nd round pick if Sergachev plays less than 40 games. Even though Sergachev might not think the OHL is an option, the Lightning might have different ideas. Since he is signed by Tampa Bay, does anyone know if the KHL is an option?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille