Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes Razors team the Hounds take on the chin, course going 2-7 on the road since the 1st round after sweeping Saginaw,and 10-10 after the 1st,
recipe for disappointment.
Villalta is a good goalie but he is no Mike Dipietro.

Hounds gave it a good run. Cant take nothing away from that.
Doesn't always work for teams winning it all.
Look at the spits. Could have the best goalie in league but can't win a round in the playoffs. Haven't won a playoff round in 6 plus years.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Look at the spits. Could have the best goalie in league but can't win a round in the playoffs. Haven't won a playoff round in 6 plus years.

But they have a Mem Cup Championship and I bet there isn't one player who would give up his ring because his team didn't win a league championship but nice try.

Percyma

Oct 30, 2011

LOL

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule today to bash the Spitfires yet again.

Happy Mother's Day Windsor 7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
But they have a Mem Cup Championship and I bet there isn't one player who would give up his ring because his team didn't win a league championship but nice try.

True a memorial cup.
That they won the bid to host and they played a week of good hockey.
Nice try though as u say.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I came on here and said "someone posted in the thread??" Then I realized what was going on :laugh: "A good week of hockey" here, "6 years" there... yeah, I'm glad I didn't bet on an entire month without weird bickering.

The Hounds were a fantastic team, but props is needed where it's due. Hamilton was the better team and proved it. They'll represent the OHL well in Regina. It's too bad for SSM, though. They were built to win and that city was really behind them. I feel bad for their fans.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
No need to thank me.
Thank hockeylegend.

Exactly I really wish I put money on a bet I told my friend that Legend would mention my name a few hours after the game and wow like clockwork. Just further proof of why I would not make that foolish bet with him. They're my Hounds as much as Legend is going for Hamilton. Legend has to stop making it about me I don't need all the attention.

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Just like in 2015. The West dominates the regular season, then beat each others brains out for 3 rounds before losing the final to the Eastern Champion. Hopefully the 18 Bulldogs will be as successful in the Memorial Cup as the 15 Generals were.

Reactions: windsor7

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Just like in 2015. The West dominates the regular season, then beat each others brains out for 3 rounds before losing the final to the Eastern Champion. Hopefully the 18 Bulldogs will be as successful in the Memorial Cup as the 15 Generals were.

Except the west really didn't beat each others brains out any more than the east in 2015. Erie beat London 4-0 in the conference semis and Soo 4-2 in the conference final. Oshawa beat Niagara 4-1 in the conference semis and North Bay 4-2 in a hard hitting conference final. The fact was Oshawa had a well constructed team with a big defense, excellent goaltendening and a perfect plan to contain McDavid in the league finals. Much like Hamilton this year. Both are full marks for their victories.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This felt more like a year where several teams COULD win it (with SSM being the favourites). When you've got upwards of seven teams that make a run, upsets can (and likely will) happen.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
On a side-note: One thing I really like about this year's Memorial Cup is how rare the teams involved have been in the tournament. Hamilton was last there in 2008 as Belleville, but Acadie-Bathurst, Regina, and Swift Current were all involved from 1993-01, I believe. There are some lengthy droughts so it'll be nice to have fresh faces, so to speak.

Reactions: Living Vicariously

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes Razors team the Hounds take on the chin, course going 2-7 on the road since the 1st round after sweeping Saginaw,and 10-10 after the 1st,
recipe for disappointment.
Villalta is a good goalie but he is no Mike Dipietro.

why are you making an unsolicited attack on another poster? just instigated another page of pointless fighting

Reactions: aresknights

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
To Be Honest.....
I have little or no interest in the CHL other than seeing an OHL team win. SSM was the best team in the regular season...they were built for it. Once the playoffs began and the rule book was thrown away it became a different story.
Speed gradually gave way to physical play and clutch and grab as it always has. It would appear, at least to me, that until the league begins to call things uniformly all year this will never change.
Meanwhile back at the ranch....nothing new on the Spitfire front....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
why are you making an unsolicited attack on another poster? just instigated another page of pointless fighting

I am trying to find his summaries of the prior Soo series and Hamilton series but can't find them. Breaking down that Villalta isn't at the level of DiPietro is some deep level stuff. Heck he could have said the same thing of Fulcher. If we are all honest with ourselves we aren't surprised that post was made.

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
To Be Honest.....
I have little or no interest in the CHL other than seeing an OHL team win. SSM was the best team in the regular season...they were built for it. Once the playoffs began and the rule book was thrown away it became a different story.
Speed gradually gave way to physical play and clutch and grab as it always has. It would appear, at least to me, that until the league begins to call things uniformly all year this will never change.
Meanwhile back at the ranch....nothing new on the Spitfire front....

I don't mind it being quiet for a bit. It's been fun watching other hockey. Once the Memorial Cup is over, I'm sure we'll get more news.

Reactions: randomhero4life

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
One has to wonder what all those fans of analytics have to say now that the team leading most of the categories didn't win like they should have. The Soo loss put a smile on my face. I said early on they weren't built right to win this.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One has to wonder what all those fans of analytics have to say now that the team leading most of the categories didn't win like they should have. The Soo loss put a smile on my face. I said early on they weren't built right to win this.

Well I don't know maybe if you looked at the numbers of Hamilton you would have seen something.

Hamilton
4th in GF%, 2nd in the East
3rd in GA, 2nd in the East
4th in GD, 2nd in the East
2nd in SF, 1st in the East
2nd in SD
1st in HD GF
4th in HDGA 1st in the East
1st in HDSF

There were numerous numbers pointing to Hamilton being the team to beat in the East and when you're down to the #1 seed from each conference in the OHL Finals in most cases it's a coin a flip.

You must have really hated Kyle Dubas becoming Maple Leafs GM. I could picture you from your rocking chair calling him a penciled necked geek with those horn rimmed glasses. Wishing Brian Burke was back as GM with his toughness and truculence!!!!!!!!!!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Congrats to the Hamilton Bulldogs!! I for one loved seeing the Greyhounds lose......just my 2 cents!! lol

That's fair no dog in the fight I would have preferred a Moose Jaw-Armada-Soo Memorial Cup, Moose Jaw/Swift Current isn't a large difference so that's fine. Just as I wanted Halifax to win in 2013, Guelph in 2014, London in 2005, Spokane or Kitchener in 08. I prefer seeing greatness and the best team hoisting the trophy. Other fans prefer some fairy tale (not saying you). Obviously you/Legend/Teflon are head over heels with the Hounds losing. The happiest people are the ones in Regina who get to face Hamilton with 93 points instead of the Soo who had 116 points.

Reactions: randomhero4life

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Is there a site we can see OHL teams analytics for the POs and for just the finals series?
Not the GF/GA type stats but the deeper analytics used by teams.

I would have to think Hamilton did quit well in puck possession, scoring chances ect.... compared to the SOO all thru the POs. Just based on the radio feeds and few games I saw from each team thru the POs.

It would be interesting.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
That's fair no dog in the fight I would have preferred a Moose Jaw-Armada-Soo Memorial Cup, Moose Jaw/Swift Current isn't a large difference so that's fine. Just as I wanted Halifax to win in 2013, Guelph in 2014, London in 2005, Spokane or Kitchener in 08. I prefer seeing greatness and the best team hoisting the trophy. Other fans prefer some fairy tale (not saying you). Obviously you/Legend/Teflon are head over heels with the Hounds losing. The happiest people are the ones in Regina who get to face Hamilton with 93 points instead of the Soo who had 116 points.

I think like many....the Greyhounds simply just ran out of gas!! When people say "The playoff's are a whole new season" they ain't lying!! I am not discrediting their regular season stats, pretty awesome record!! Overall the OHL playoff's this year were great, very entertaining. Soo vs Kitchener was hands down my favorite series this year. Happy I got the OHL Action Pack. Some interesting no calls in just about every game, face off BS was rampant!! Will be rooting for the Bulldogs in the MEM Cup, should be a good tournament!! All in all.....looking forward to Spit's training camp this fall. P.S....I was rooting for Halifax to win in 2013 too!!

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You must have really hated Kyle Dubas becoming Maple Leafs GM. I could picture you from your rocking chair calling him a penciled necked geek with those horn rimmed glasses. Wishing Brian Burke was back as GM with his toughness and truculence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't Windsor win a couple of Memorial Cups with toughness and truculence? While the game is going towards skill, we're lying to ourselves if we believe toughness and truculence are gone. No, you won't see fighting but physical play and antagonizing are still a part of the game.

The happiest people are the ones in Regina who get to face Hamilton with 93 points instead of the Soo who had 116 points.

If a team with 93 points beats a team with 116 points in a seven-game series, I'm asking why the team with 116 points got so may points in the first place. Even you said, a few posts above, that it's "a coin flip."

I'd love to see Hamilton take it all as I've got personal ties to the city (as I do with SSM, as well).

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Didn't Windsor win a couple of Memorial Cups with toughness and truculence? While the game is going towards skill, we're lying to ourselves if we believe toughness and truculence are gone. No, you won't see fighting but physical play and antagonizing are still a part of the game.

If a team with 93 points beats a team with 116 points in a seven-game series, I'm asking why the team with 116 points got so may points in the first place. Even you said, a few posts above, that it's "a coin flip."

I'd love to see Hamilton take it all as I've got personal ties to the city (as I do with SSM, as well).

Windsor also for those 2 years were huge in those analytic categories you just didn't know it though. I realize you're quite adversarial towards analytics and statistics you have made that abundantly clear for some unknown reason.

What you are failing to comprehend with a "coin flip" is that each team was the #1 seed in their conference they were there for a reason.

Why did the Soo get 116 points in the first place? Because they have a lot of talent, they value puck possession, offensive opportunities. Puck possession is very valuable in junior hockey because players aren't as mature, more prone to mistakes and impatience not having the puck. Hence why they can get a team chasing the game instead of staying disciplined. Hamilton was another team huge on puck possession so when you get 2 teams that value those characteristics something has to give.

I seriously can't believe you just asked how the Soo got 116 points, actually I kind of do believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad