Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OHL4Life

I disagree about Playfair to me one most improved players from the start of the season till the end.
I would agree I don't see him being a top 6 player but definitely 7-12, good on faceoffs,has good speed,a bit of a bite to his game,stands up for teamates, reliable penalty killer who blocks shots and enough skill to pick up points,in fact he had 3 points in 6 playoff games,and 17 points in 66 regular season,and he was +1 in the playoffs against a difficult team.
For me every team needs guys like him.
Tyler Angle has some talent,does seem to run hot and cold but this season I am willing to see how he pans out before making definitive decision on him,glad we didn't give up on Cole Purboo when many were saying otherwise, great value for a 9th round pick.
As for William Sirman, while I like him and for being a 14th round pick,with him entering his 19th birthday,he could be vulnerable if some of the younger forwards show well,we will see on this one.
Not sure why you keep mentioning Mizzi and Latta, Mizzi played only 4 games, didn't cost a card and was let go, while Latta didn't play a game.
Truth be told, hindsight being 20/20 I would kept Latta over Mizzi, don't bring in Kadlec and things would have been fine.He is good size forward with grit, something this team was missing,and would have taken up the card that Kadlec did.
Free agents Jake Smith and Igor Larionov were smart signings, didn't cost anything except 1000 for Smith,too bad Larionov had injuries,when he was healthy he contributed especially down the stretch and into the playoffs, when he went down in the playoffs it wasn't an accident that the production of Purboo and Smith dropped.
As for comments re Evans and Kelly the 2 American kids,I disagree on Evans,no doubt in my mind he can play in the O now, Kelly has skill and speed,would like to see him in main camp before saying for sure he isn't ready yet.Would not shock me if he comes to camp to see how he does against older competition.
He has dual citizenship,his mother is from Oakville,one of his sisters goes to University of Guelph,so it help that he is dual,he does though have a 4 year scholarship from Michigan State, though at this time family is being open minded re his future,I do know talking to his family and him on Saturday,they loved it here,loved the facilities,he enjoyed himself throughly
I can also see with 4-16 year olds allowed to be rostered,you want to be sure, Kelly is talented will be interesting what Spits do on this one.
With Evans I say go all out and try and sign him.I can see Spits signing Foudy, McDonald,Evans, perhaps Stevens and Medina,though Medina stays in the US till Mikey goes to Team Canada,bring him and take things from there.The thing is that he has to be signed by Dec 31 in order to play any games after Jan 1
They can do the same thing with Kelly, though I think they won't,it's either roster him this year or wait a year.That might be something all parties agree to.

Legend: Just a couple comments...Given what was in the cupboard in the beginning I think WR did a great job with the cards. He managed to get able bodies in at minimum cost to get the team through the early part of the season when we were short handed.
I think Playfair improved enough that he is a solid 3rd liner with a chance at being a 2nd liner if he puts in the work.
In reality we don’t have a lot of openings. A good import forward, a seasoned vet O/A D and preferably a couple forwards through the draft who have the ability to bump a couple of last years guys out of jobs. I don’t expect Angle to go anywhere. I think he will surprise a lot of folks.
Can’t comment on the newcomers...as I didn’t see them play.
WR & the scouts rank a number of the draftees highly and hopefully we can get em here.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Sounds like Mikey might go to the World Championships as Canada’s 3rd goalie.
This is very impressive, grooming him for the WJC squad I presume? Proud of Mikey if this is true, especially with how heart broken the kid was not making the WJC squad this past year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From what I gathered during the Town Hall, both Smith and Weber are back. Unless Jones comes back in another role?

BTW, side-note: The DiPietro stuff appears true as there's a lengthy interview with him on SN650 out of Vancouver. It's definitely his voice.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
From what I gathered during the Town Hall, both Smith and Weber are back. Unless Jones comes back in another role?

BTW, side-note: The DiPietro stuff appears true as there's a lengthy interview with him on SN650 out of Vancouver. It's definitely his voice.
"It's definitely his voice"...this is funny. Thanks OHLTG. :laugh:

Reactions: OHLTG

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Former Spits coach Rocky Thompson and his Chicago Wolves were swept in the 1st round of AHL playoff action. The last game went to triple overtime.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Windsor doing fine at the OHL cup - Hayes with a hat trick and Foudy with a goal and an assist yesterday. GTHL Red with 2 wins.

Foudy is going to be a good one. Has speed for days! Great puck carrier. Skates very well. Vision is top notch. I think he'll be much better then his brother.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You'd have to compare just junior careers. You can't play a handful of games for the Spitfires and say "I'm the best Spits' goalie ever", regardless of amount of NHL games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad