Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Will be interesting to see how many Spitfire draft picks from this year's draft gets selected in the USHL's Future's draft tomorrow night.
It's a 10 round draft of 2002 born only
players.
I can think of 5 guys that may picked,dman Spencer Evans and forwards Tanner Kelly,Cade Lemmer, Christian Stevens and Goalie Xavier Medina.
4 of the above players are US born,though Kelly is dual, while Stevens is a Canadian but has committed to U of Mass(Amherst).
Kelly is committed to Michigan though that could change,while the others are uncommitted.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Says you. You notice how I worded that statement. No qualifiers...

Okay, let's do it this way...

Jordan Frasca gets traded in June for (insert return here). He goes on to score 60 points next season, 100 points the year after, and eventually goes on to score 1000 points in a lengthy NHL career. Do you say he's one of the best Spitfires' forwards of all-time? No because he barely played here. He might be one of the best forwards on (insert his other OHL team here), but not the Spitfires, and not because of his NHL days.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Is there a 2nd part to this USHL draft where they can select kids any age?

I thought the 1st phase was 7 rds, but don't follow it closely.

Really, it isnt a bad option for some kids. I know a few kids that will get drafted that are being made very aware its a good option for them. Nobody high end thou.

The competition from south of the border is getting stronger each year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is there a 2nd part to this USHL draft where they can select kids any age?

I thought the 1st phase was 7 rds, but don't follow it closely.

Really, it isnt a bad option for some kids. I know a few kids that will get drafted that are being made very aware its a good option for them. Nobody high end thou.

The competition from south of the border is getting stronger each year.

Yes,there is a 2nd phase, with any birth year as you mentioned,and that will be held on Tuesday morning.That draft continues till each team in the league has 45 man rosters.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You'd have to compare just junior careers. You can't play a handful of games for the Spitfires and say "I'm the best Spits' goalie ever", regardless of amount of NHL games played.

I have a hard time gauging how DiPietro ranks as an all time goalie for the Spits. He has put up great numbers but zero playoff round victories, he has a Memorial Cup and 4 great games there but overall playoffs have to matter in regards how you rank a goalie as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I have a hard time gauging how DiPietro ranks as an all time goalie for the Spits. He has put up great numbers but zero playoff round victories, he has a Memorial Cup and 4 great games there but overall playoffs have to matter in regards how you rank a goalie as well.

Championships and league awards also have to be considered, leading his team at 17 to a Mem Cup ,plus what he accomplished this season tips any scales for me.Mark my words he will honoured a with a banner raising his name to the rafters, and no question in my mind the doubters will be in the minority.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
In two playoff series, DiPietro had:

2017 - 2.48 GAA, .917%
2018 - 2.81 GAA, .934%

If anything, he was the reason they were in either series to begin with, especially this season. We even talked about that on here, at length, where he was a large reason the Spitfires won a single game, let alone two. So, it's weird saying "he hasn't won a playoff series, so how's he the best?", when in fact he was a reason they even won games this season.

I could probably list a handful of goaltenders over the last 30 seasons that would be in the discussion (Engelage, Leighton, Grubauer, to name a few), but I don't think many of them have the resume that DiPietro does. I think you'd really have to want to find something bad if you were going to go the "but, what about..." route.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Championships and league awards also have to be considered, leading his team at 17 to a Mem Cup ,plus what he accomplished this season tips any scales for me.Mark my words he will honoured a with a banner raising his name to the rafters, and no question in my mind the doubters will be in the minority.

It's not as much being a doubter more about how you gauge certain things. I think playoff success should be valued more than regular season accomplishments. If he gets his number retired so should Engelage.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It's not as much being a doubter more about how you gauge certain things. I think playoff success should be valued more than regular season accomplishments. If he gets his number retired so should Engelage.

Andrew Engelage was what Chris Osgood did for Detriot,a good goalie on a great team, Dipietro a great goalie on a good team big difference, Dipietro with 15 shutouts tied for most in a career and did it in 3 years, Engelage at age 18,1st year in the league averaged 4.40 with an 880 save percentage, finished with 7 career shutouts,never drafted, Dipietro averaged over 910 save percentage all 3 years in league,and when his team was in rebuild as they were this past year,collecting goalie of the year award is quite the acheivement.
Too me it's not even close, Dipietro has been the face of the franchise since his arrival, impressed everyone since he was 16,the best goalie this team has developed ever.
Engelage was a goalie who by his 21 birthday helped his powerful team win a league and Mem Cup Championships
and while he played well he was by no means a major reason for their success, Dipietro was a major reason, Windsor won the cup,pure and simple.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Mikey is far and away the best goalie windsor has seen. I've seen a lot of goalies and I'm talking 40+ years worth. Only guy close is Melanson. Can't base stats that don't exist for one reason or another. What he's done here puts him in the top 10 best Spitfire junior players.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Michael DiPietro is definitely one of the top OHL goalies of any era. He's such a quality kid and a great ambassador of the game. Every team and every coach dreams of having a player like him.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Maybe the question should be is DiPietro one of the best OHL goalie ever?
After his 4th yr in the OHL that very well could be the likely scenario. There may have been just as good of goalie for 2 yrs but very rare you'll see that type of goalkeeping over a 4 yr span.

Last edited:

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Next year he should take over the shutout record too which is impressive given the quality of the teams he’s played for (minus memorial cup).

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe the question should be is DiPietro one of the best OHL goalie ever?
After his 4th yr in the OHL that very well could be the likely scenario. There may have been just as good of goalie for 2 yrs but very rare you'll see that type of goalkeeping over a 4 yr span.

That's fair of course if that's to happen it would most likely have to happen in another uniform at some point.

Here's another goalie in his first 3 years

142 GP 2.76 gaa .921 sv% 20 GP in playoffs 3.55 gaa .9065 sv%

vs

136 GP 2.53 gaa .913 sv% 16 GP in playoffs 2.92 gaa .906 sv%

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The USHL held it's Future's Draft this evening and like I figured a number of Spitfire draft picks were selected,4 to be exact,out of 5 that I felt could be chosen by a US based team.
The only player not chosen was goalie Xavier Medina from Little Cesar's,not surprising when digging deeper,just 4 goalies in all were chosen in the 10 round,plus the fact Medina pretty indicated post rookie camp that he was intent on making the Spits.
Now on to the 4 players picked,the 1st to get chosen and no real shock,was big dman Spencer Evans, selected 44th overall,3rd rounder by Youngstown, Youngstown didn't stop there as they chose another Spits prospect Cade Lemmer C/RW,in the 5th,75th overall.
Muskegon then got into the act in the 6th Rd,with the 90th selection forward Tanner Kelly, another Caesars guy,though he has dual citizenship.
Tri-City finished off the night of drafted Spits prospects by selecting Cen Christian Stevens a Canadian,in the 9th round at pick# 134.
Stevens for now is committed to U of Mass(Amherst) so not shocked that he was picked.
Now just because these guys were picked does not mean that they will sign with their respective USHL teams,as most players in this draft are not signed or play in this league for the coming season,USHL tends to use older players so less then 3 out of 10 picks will suit up this year.
Will be interesting to see or hear if any attend their USHL hockey team tryouts or main camp.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
USHL draft...
Here's where the Spit picks went in the USHL draft in the 1st 10 rounds. Remainder of draft today...
....I notice quite a few OHL teams have signed their top picks from this years draft. Perhaps hoping to bolster their Season ticket sales.
The Spits , at least so far, have gone in a different direction. They are offering Season ticket holders free DiPietro bobble-heads.
Word out of Peterboro has the Spits interested in the #3 pick @willcuylle who is refusing to go to the Petes.
IMHO we don't have the picks to get into this bidding war unless we manage to trade DiPietro in August...

Dcq7U4lW0AAWeaw.jpg

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
USHL draft...
Here's where the Spit picks went in the USHL draft in the 1st 10 rounds. Remainder of draft today...
....I notice quite a few OHL teams have signed their top picks from this years draft. Perhaps hoping to bolster their Season ticket sales.
The Spits , at least so far, have gone in a different direction. They are offering Season ticket holders free DiPietro bobble-heads.
Word out of Peterboro has the Spits interested in the #3 pick @willcuylle who is refusing to go to the Petes.
IMHO we don't have the picks to get into this bidding war unless we manage to trade DiPietro in August...

Dcq7U4lW0AAWeaw.jpg

Cuylle is a nice idea but the Spits currently don't have the infrastructure to pull off such a deal. They're not a stage to do this. For example if you were an organization like Saginaw and could guy Cuylle to report but at the same time move Perfetti to Oshawa. It probably costs you maybe an extra 2nd/3rd round overall in such deal but you get Cuylle and a compensatory 1st round pick next year. Windsor isn't dealing from a position of strength.

member 71782

While he would be a nice addition going forward even after all the deals this past season the cupboard is still pretty bare the next couple of drafts.

Unless Rychel were to deal DiPietro in the summer as Punch suggested and get a deadline type return at this point he would be a luxury Windsor cannot afford, barring some absolutely ridiculous deal that would see him taking the Petes to the cleaners.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
USHL draft...

Dcq7U4lW0AAWeaw.jpg
From a strict geography standpoint, only Spencer Evans would be closer to home in the USHL. Even with him it is probably 6 hours to Youngstown from Long Island versus 10 hours to Windsor.

However, NCAA eligibility will probably be a larger factor in their decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad