Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree - not too many sure thing spots on the Spits this year. D'amigo, Douglas, Ladd, Staios, Morgan, McDougall, Corcoran, Boka, Foudy and Purboo are likely the only ones that will get a by onto the team.

DiPietro - not sure what to think of his future - I could see him being moved or sticking all year with the team. Not too often you can have a goalie of his calibre around. I actually would like to see him for another year but I do understand there may be a need to move him for the future. Has to be a tough problem to have for Warren.

100 percent correct re the roster next year. even then im not sure boka or purboo finish the year. that said its way better then last year when we had to rely on kids not good enough for other teams vs our own drafted players. really only 8 of the above names will be a part of the next winning cycle. expect to get a heck of a return for dipietro (tolni in ottawa would be outstanding), but also next year we take a bigger step back without brown/luckuk et al to drive the offense. no dipietro after jan will be an issue.

that said thats not a bad thing, thats how you win, draft well, draft high and capitalize.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
it gives you an idea just how deep and how much work is ahead. theyve started the process but tba to see just how close they can or cannot come. when you look at the depth that the soo had, guys like howdeshell were on their 3rd line. thats a pretty deep team. i think foudy may be a top 10/15 scorer in the league (i saw him at the gold cup), i still like moore better but dont doubt the pick, its going to be up to the other guys that they drafted to pick up the slack.

drafting a 17 year old player like sandin in the import draft that can be here for 2/3 years will be important. you can argue this import draft is the most important theyve had in years.

This is a good post and it starts with Windsor hitting on their 2nd round picks and later in the draft.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree - not too many sure thing spots on the Spits this year. D'amigo, Douglas, Ladd, Staios, Morgan, McDougall, Corcoran, Boka, Foudy and Purboo are likely the only ones that will get a by onto the team.

DiPietro - not sure what to think of his future - I could see him being moved or sticking all year with the team. Not too often you can have a goalie of his calibre around. I actually would like to see him for another year but I do understand there may be a need to move him for the future. Has to be a tough problem to have for Warren.

I would add Playfair,Frasca, Stevenson, Starikov to your list,toss in Baier too, unless Windsor plans on keeping Dipietro for the whole season,then you don't keep him.
Stevenson had a great playoff, while Starikov is attracting NHL interest for next season,Frasca will bid for a starting job, while Playfair who had strong 2nd half and playoffs ,and he is improving deserves to be here.
My list then would have 9F,5D and 2G,room for 7 players,2D and 5 forwards.
Lists so far doesn't include o/as, Euro player,and any draft picks from this year excluding Foudy.
If Spits can sign Dman Spencer Evans he will lockup the 6 spot on the D.
He would be my highest priority next to Foudy getting signed.
In my view with players from the last 2 drafts,this will be the most competitive camp in a couple of seasons, especially upfront more so then in goal and on D.
More thoughts later

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don’t think the rebuild will be complete with the trading of DiPietro but rather a couple years from then.
As for the 12 kids that played this past year....meh...We played 12 because that was what we were forced to do after going all in and having a bare cupboard. IMHO those 12 players were force fed into the OHL and a number were found wanting.
Those players will be waived/traded early on in my opinion.

The only two players who I could see being "force fed" were Johnston (didn't play much) and Henault (didn't play much). There were 10 regular contributors among the group of 2000s/01s. They all played a role and proved they belonged in some capacity, and they're your core going forward.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Anyone who says there isn't a great difference between 16 and 21 year old jr players is clueless!!! The maturity alone is huge. I know some folks here don't wanna hear about living away from home, a new school and friends, new city.... it's a massive change for young guys. I still hear Mikey goes after wj's. That said I'm concerned about D toughness and scoring the talent is still very young.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Anyone who says there isn't a great difference between 16 and 21 year old jr players is clueless!!! The maturity alone is huge. I know some folks here don't wanna hear about living away from home, a new school and friends, new city.... it's a massive change for young guys. I still hear Mikey goes after wj's. That said I'm concerned about D toughness and scoring the talent is still very young.

Nobody said there's isn't a difference between a 16 and 21 year old. Fact is 1 year separated the oldest team and youngest team in the league. Let me find that violin for you, the players make this choice and that's the path they want to follow. Fact is some players adjust quicker than others and some don't adjust at all and don't enjoy it. I also like the "clueless" jab following in the lines of another guy here.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You did say "every team is young" and we both know that's not true in this sense. A team that's heavier with 16-18 year olds is more likely to struggle early than a team that's heavier with 18-20 year olds. It's just reality.

The reality is that you will use every crutch available to rationalize why the team isn't successful in a given year. Whether it's injuries, youth, rebuilding it's all out there for you to use.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You can use the term "crutch" if you want, but outside of SSM and London, this year is a perfect example of the older teams finding more success while the younger teams are lower in the standings. That's not an excuse, that's a fact. Next season, Windsor will be a year older with more experience, so I expect then to do more.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would add Playfair,Frasca, Stevenson, Starikov to your list,toss in Baier too, unless Windsor plans on keeping Dipietro for the whole season,then you don't keep him.
Stevenson had a great playoff, while Starikov is attracting NHL interest for next season,Frasca will bid for a starting job, while Playfair who had strong 2nd half and playoffs ,and he is improving deserves to be here.
My list then would have 9F,5D and 2G,room for 7 players,2D and 5 forwards.
Lists so far doesn't include o/as, Euro player,and any draft picks from this year excluding Foudy.
If Spits can sign Dman Spencer Evans he will lockup the 6 spot on the D.
He would be my highest priority next to Foudy getting signed.
In my view with players from the last 2 drafts,this will be the most competitive camp in a couple of seasons, especially upfront more so then in goal and on D.
More thoughts later
Forgot about Starikov, the rest for me will be having to prove their worth at training camp.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Forgot about Starikov, the rest for me will be having to prove their worth at training camp.[/QUOTE

While I can understand Frasca, little surprised re your attitude about Stevenson and Playfair,both were rock solid in the playoffs,in fact Stevenson the only + dman in the series and against the 2nd highest team in the OHl,toss in the fact,this was his 1st season in the league not sure what you expect.Alot of the same can be said about Playfair,the 17 year old had a very good second half,and carried on to the playoffs, excellent PK guy, willing to block shots ,play physical,nice speed too.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Nobody said there's isn't a difference between a 16 and 21 year old. Fact is 1 year separated the oldest team and youngest team in the league. Let me find that violin for you, the players make this choice and that's the path they want to follow. Fact is some players adjust quicker than others and some don't adjust at all and don't enjoy it. I also like the "clueless" jab following in the lines of another guy here.
Fact is I'm not even talking to you, just stating what I know as fact. Violin may work for yourself, you keep it. Whether or not that's the path they choose it still affects their play. Sit down with a rookie and an OA some day and just chat hockey, if you have any sense you'll see the difference. You discount it because it doesn't fit your hockey by numbers fascination. Quit trying to tell me how hockey is, when you've never spent a minute playing or coaching at this level.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I liked Playfair and what he brings but I see him in the same boat as a few others. He is going to be 18/19 this year and it becomes hard to work him into the future plans when it is 2 years from when they want to go for it. He could very well make the team but that comes down to a numbers game and a younger player may get the nod. He certainly would be a valuable asset to move if he doesn't fit into the future. He is a fun player to watch but in this league timing is everything. Stevenson being a year older just makes his case tougher yet.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Fact is I'm not even talking to you, just stating what I know as fact. Violin may work for yourself, you keep it. Whether or not that's the path they choose it still affects their play. Sit down with a rookie and an OA some day and just chat hockey, if you have any sense you'll see the difference. You discount it because it doesn't fit your hockey by numbers fascination. Quit trying to tell me how hockey is, when you've never spent a minute playing or coaching at this level.

Wow speak of the devil in fact I just talked to a guy this past weekend who plays in the CHL. We talked about a lot of stuff and he did bring up advanced stats and said that he found it great because he got more feedback from the coach. He would have questions about ice time/line mates and the coach instead of just saying "this is how we feel as a staff etc.." The coach was actually able to show data in regards to what players he plays better with or what role he's better at.

Funny you're telling me to quit telling you how hockey is when I just gave you an instance that you said I should do. Maybe you should just be quiet because obviously you don't know anything about anyone on here.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Wow speak of the devil in fact I just talked to a guy this past weekend who plays in the CHL. We talked about a lot of stuff and he did bring up advanced stats and said that he found it great because he got more feedback from the coach. He would have questions about ice time/line mates and the coach instead of just saying "this is how we feel as a staff etc.." The coach was actually able to show data in regards to what players he plays better with or what role he's better at.

Funny you're telling me to quit telling you how hockey is when I just gave you an instance that you said I should do. Maybe you should just be quiet because obviously you don't know anything about anyone on here.
I do know you have NEVER coached or played at this level. Your info comes from fans and chats. Personal stats are not team analytics.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Taking Razor at his word. He did give a good reason as to where analytics help a coaching staff communicate with players and help guide in the decision making process/communication as far as PT, linemates and overall usage goes.
It was in response to you downplaying numbers in hockey, his "fascination with it" and going on about never playing or coaching at that level. Which matters how?
What level hockey did Hitchcock play at? Did it matter?
Having played at that level and its revelance in understanding the trends in evaluations by team staffs increasingly using analytics? Not sure I get your stance. Team and indivdual analytics are huge parts of the game now.
Did the recently named Leafs GM play at the level he is now in charge of? I think he understands the game just fine ( as proven track record indicates- no Im not a Leaf fan lol)

Hockey evaluations have changed greatly over the past decade. Just like they did when "old school minds" shunned Neilson and video review or extra coaches on the bench. Fascination with numbers is here to stay and a great tool teams and staffs have embraced.
Sure the eye test is still there but it isnt the be all and end all.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
First off. His explanation comes from a text book. I'm asking if he even knows how to use the data in real world jr hockey and if he says yes please give me your experience based on that. Sure numbers have some relevance but not nearly at the level pros use, mostly in baseball. You cannot use data without understanding how said data is applied successfully. As for the leafs new GM. I'm not ready to anoint him as successful just yet. Neilsons video seminars were a great tool, but again it was using your eyes. The game of hockey is a much more fluid sport than baseball, I'll take a team with the ability to grind out wins over physically weaker, point teams all day long! Hence the reason I said the Soo wasn't built to win a cup. Also the reason I'm concerned this windsor team is in for a tough go. They lack the killer instinct as of today.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I do know you have NEVER coached or played at this level. Your info comes from fans and chats. Personal stats are not team analytics.

So you ask me to talk to a player and I already have done that and now because I never coached or played at this level? Well I guess we should shut this forum down because I am going to guess a fair amount of the people here have never coach or played at the CHL level. Can you stop with the "if you have never coach or played you can't have an opinion" shtick. That's been played out for 20+ years now.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Taking Razor at his word. He did give a good reason as to where analytics help a coaching staff communicate with players and help guide in the decision making process/communication as far as PT, linemates and overall usage goes.
It was in response to you downplaying numbers in hockey, his "fascination with it" and going on about never playing or coaching at that level. Which matters how?
What level hockey did Hitchcock play at? Did it matter?
Having played at that level and its revelance in understanding the trends in evaluations by team staffs increasingly using analytics? Not sure I get your stance. Team and indivdual analytics are huge parts of the game now.
Did the recently named Leafs GM play at the level he is now in charge of? I think he understands the game just fine ( as proven track record indicates- no Im not a Leaf fan lol)

Hockey evaluations have changed greatly over the past decade. Just like they did when "old school minds" shunned Neilson and video review or extra coaches on the bench. Fascination with numbers is here to stay and a great tool teams and staffs have embraced.
Sure the eye test is still there but it isnt the be all and end all.

Agreed. John Chayka played 150 games of low level junior hockey the reason he's a GM is because he used his business background to start a hockey stats based site that's made himself a lot of money and got him in the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Every team should draft players with the “killer instinct” quality! That’s how you win Mem Cups!

What, you are a hockey fan who doesn’ know what “killer instinct” is?!

Uneducated!

Reactions: Teflon

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

I would add Playfair and Starikov to the players due to return. Starikov has considerable NHL interest and his play from the first half to the second was night and day. Playfair was lights out in the playoffs and was our best centre after the trade deadline IMHO.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
When I mentioned Dubas being successful I did not mean championships. The lists of OHL/AHL/NHL champs is extremely small compared to the people who have held top level positions.
I meant he was hired at an extremely young age to an OHL franchise, quickly turned a team from mid/bottom pack most years to a legit contender using an evaluation process that proved successful in helping the team improve. Quickly moved on and up to his current position. At his young age and his quick rise and helping his teams improve consistently (as part of a team staff no doubt) I think that shows some level of success.
Some very good players, coaches n GMs never win the big one. Shouldn't take away from their competence.
The examples are plenty.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I would add Playfair and Starikov to the players due to return. Starikov has considerable NHL interest and his play from the first half to the second was night and day. Playfair was lights out in the playoffs and was our best centre after the trade deadline IMHO.

next year is the 'show me' year for guys like angle and playfair. they need to take the next step and show that they can be strong options moving forward given that the depth is returning to the organization. i get that at the start of last year both wherent given much opportunity to play on the offensive side, so this thier time to step up, if they do, great, but personally i dont know if they have it in them. happy to be proven wrong

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes I agree with you and HL I missed Starikov - he will be a solid player on the back end this year, likely will be a drafted player. I also like Playfair, Angle, Sirman and Stevenson. My only comment here is they have the misfortune of being older players and in a rebuild may be trapped in a numbers game - some or all of them my play for the Spits after training camp, but may not or maybe even get moved? I see this as a big transition year and I'm sure there will be some surprises as the Spits move forward. I also like Boka and Purboo but if the price is right they may also be on the move.

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->