Proposal: Willy Nylander to Chicago

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Instead of replying to everyone who was against my post above, I'll state this.

There are a ton of talented players in this years draft. Sure, some will falter. But some could also exceed the abilities of Nylander.

For example, say someone like Wahlstrom was available. He could wind up just as good as WN, but the Hawks would have him for all three ELC years.

There's a risk/reward dynamic, and the Hawks need to take the risks if they want to get back to success in this league.
nylander is already nhl ready. the 8th pick will have to wait a few years before they become nhl ready

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah I can't see why Toronto would do this. At #8 this year you're going to be lucky to get one of the top 5 D (Dahlin, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist), so I don't see why Toronto would even consider it. Furthermore, the #27 pick is negligible because the Leafs already have #25, so there's really no point in getting another late 1st.

The only way the Leafs would do this is if Debrincat ++ were involved, and even then I don't think Dubas would ever touch this deal with a 10ft pole. Toronto needs established, young D. They don't need to accumulate picks like it's 2015.

DeBrincat has equally high ceiling. Kid almost scored 30 goals as a rookie playing for the majority of the season with Lance Bouma, Tommy Wingels and Patrick Sharp. Play him in a top 6 role with more than 14min a game and he’s producing more than Nylander. Point is there is no ++ in any deal involving him or Schmaltz.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Schmaltz and DeBrincat individually are as good as Nylander. Why would the Hawks add the 8th overall in a hypothetical deal...
they are worse than nylander, but the 8th wouldn't have to be added to them to get will the thrill

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
they are worse than nylander, but the 8th wouldn't have to be added to them to get will the thrill

Cat is going to be a 40 goal scorer if they play him with talent consistently. Schmaltz is well on his way to becoming a 65-70 point 2 way center with elite defense. There is no add for Hawks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
DeBrincat has equally high ceiling. Kid almost scored 30 goals as a rookie playing for the majority of the season with Lance Bouma, Tommy Wingels and Patrick Sharp. Play him in a top 6 role with more than 14min a game and he’s producing more than Nylander. Point is there is no ++ in any deal involving him or Schmaltz.
he played with patrick sharp and ryan hartman the most, followed by duclair and toews at a close second. no mention of bouma or wingles at all

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
these prediction are quite high and homerish.

Not really. DeBrincat was extremely mishandled by Quenneville and never played with Kane, mostly played bottom 6 minutes and scored near 30. Schmaltz is 8 points off being a 60 pt player..Upside is there for a lot more.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Schmaltz and DeBrincat individually are as good as Nylander. Why would the Hawks add the 8th overall in a hypothetical deal...
Because of the principle the Hawks would have to overpay to make a deal for Nylander.
They don't have the assets TOR are looking to get back in a deal.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Because of the principle the Hawks would have to overpay to make a deal for Nylander.
They don't have the assets TOR are looking to get back in a deal.

Brent Seabrook and the 8th overall? Big right handed shot, heart and soul player, 3 cups added to lockerroom. Reasonable contract.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
When he puts up 60 points in his rookie year, then follows it up with another 60, then we can say he has an equal ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I like Debrincat and wish Toronto took him. But to get Willy, you would be adding Debrincat and then you'd be going up from there. We can argue over semantics, but the bottom line is the Leafs and Chicago are not good trade partners if it involves Nylander.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Brent Seabrook and the 8th overall? Big right handed shot, heart and soul player, 3 cups added to lockerroom. Reasonable contract.
Seabrook has negative value at this point. He's not a top pairing D anymore but he's being paid like one. Him + #8 would get you a decent top 6 player, but not one who could be a perennial 70 point player

Reactions: Menzinger

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
When he puts up 60 points in his rookie year, then follows it up with another 60, then we can say he has an equal ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I like Debrincat and wish Toronto took him. But to get Willy, you would be adding Debrincat and then you'd be going up from there. We can argue over semantics, but the bottom line is the Leafs and Chicago are not good trade partners if it involves Nylander.

DeBrincat and Nylander have the same ceiling. If the Hawks added it would be minor. But yes, it appears they’re not a good match to trade.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not really. DeBrincat was extremely mishandled by Quenneville and never played with Kane, mostly played bottom 6 minutes and scored near 30. Schmaltz is 8 points off being a 60 pt player..Upside is there for a lot more.

So the only way DeBrincat and Schmaltz hit those targets, you're telling me, is if they play with Patrick Kane, arguably the greatest American born player of all time. Hmmm.

And then you suggest Seabrook and 8OA for Nylander?

It seems to me you're having some trouble being objective here.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So the only way DeBrincat and Schmaltz hit those targets, you're telling me, is if they play with Patrick Kane, arguably the greatest American born player of all time. Hmmm.

Players maximize production playing with other talented linemates. News at 11.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Are you trading us your 3 cups in that trade? Because if not it's irrelevant and that's a really bad offer. Seabrook might have more negative value than that pick has positive value.

Reactions: CromLeafsFan

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Players maximize production playing with other talented linemates. News at 11.
Players don't hit hypothetical production OP stated without playing with talented linemates, and are not in fact as good as the two time 60 point 21 year old Leaf. News at 11.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Seeing how Nylander is worth more than the 8th OA and Seabrook has negative value... it's a no go.

Like I told you, it would have to be Schmaltz+8th, and it's okay to say no to that offer, as you should.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Are you trading us your 3 cups in that trade? Because if not it's irrelevant and that's a really bad offer. Seabrook might have more negative value than that pick has positive value.

Babs would love him and he’d immediately wear a letter. Wouldn’t bring the 3 cups but he’d bring his experience.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
It doesn't make sense for Toronto because they want to compete now.

But the value the Hawks are giving up is too much as well. Nylander was a 8th overall pick. So the Hawks would be giving up their 8th for a former 8th. They'd also lose out on a late 1st and wouldn't have Nylander for any of his ELC years.

Just doesn't make much sense IMO.
Nylander has way more value than the 8th OA :laugh:
Most 8th OA are worse than Nylander:

2005- Ryan Parent
2006- Peter mueller
2007- Zach Hammil
2008- Mikkel Boedker
2009- Scott Glennie
2010- Alex Burmistrov
2011- Couturier
2012- Pouliot
2013- Ristolainen
2015- Werenski
2016- A. Nylander

Couturier, Werenski and maybe Ristolainen have as much value Nylander.

Reactions: Menzinger

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Seeing how Nylander is worth more than the 8th OA and Seabrook has negative value... it's a no go.

Like I told you, it would have to be Schmaltz+8th, and it's okay to say no to that offer, as you should.

Why would the Hawks trade a guy with nearly same production at same age plus a top 10 pick.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

Uh what? DeBrincat scored 28 goals/52 pts as a teenager playing in the bottom 6 averaging LESS than 15 min a game. He needs no one to put up points. I'm pretty sure he's just saying if hes used in the correct role (like how Nylander is being used) the sky is the limit for him.

Nylander had 20 goals/61 pts playing with Mathews on the top line as a 21 year old while averaging a couple more minutes a game. So its EXTRMELY hypocritical to play the "who he plays with card" coming from Leaf fans. Honestly I wouldn't trade DeBrincat for Nylander straight. DeBrincat has one of the best releases in the game and has elite goal scoring potential. Plus he's on an ELC for two more years after being a couple away from potting 30 goals as a 19 year old. I'm fine as is.

Don't see the point of this thread though. Chicago is not an ideal trading partner with the Leafs and they're obviously not looking to move Nylander for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad