Proposal: Willy Nylander to Chicago

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this proposal doesn't make sense for the leafs and frankly, the blackhawks as well. the leafs need nhl ready players now, not in a few years. the blackhawks should keep that pick to draft a defender instead of trading it for a forward

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Extremely poorly thought out proposal. What possible incentive would TO have for making this trade? We go through a full rebuild so we can draft/develop these sort of players like Nylander. As soon as we start to get good we should trade them for futures so we can go back to rebuilding?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Let's trade Nylander in the hope that we draft another Nylander. Somebody is dreaming-type proposal.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It doesn't make sense for Toronto because they want to compete now.

But the value the Hawks are giving up is too much as well. Nylander was a 8th overall pick. So the Hawks would be giving up their 8th for a former 8th. They'd also lose out on a late 1st and wouldn't have Nylander for any of his ELC years.

Just doesn't make much sense IMO.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
even if the value was there, it doesn't make sense for Toronto to misalign the ages of our core players. Would have to be an absurd overpayment, and the OP offer probably isn't value in a vacuum - Nylander in his D+1 as a prospect was probably worth that, would be higher as an established 1st liner with upside and the chance to be a center

But the value the Hawks are giving up is too much as well. Nylander was a 8th overall pick. So the Hawks would be giving up their 8th for a former 8th. They'd also lose out on a late 1st and wouldn't have Nylander for any of his ELC years.

Nylander goes higher than 8th in a redraft, and the floor has come way up since then. I think Nylander in his D+1 (before NHL experience, after really good half seasons in 2 pro leagues) would have been worth about what the OP is

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah I can't see why Toronto would do this. At #8 this year you're going to be lucky to get one of the top 5 D (Dahlin, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist), so I don't see why Toronto would even consider it. Furthermore, the #27 pick is negligible because the Leafs already have #25, so there's really no point in getting another late 1st.

The only way the Leafs would do this is if Debrincat ++ were involved, and even then I don't think Dubas would ever touch this deal with a 10ft pole. Toronto needs established, young D. They don't need to accumulate picks like it's 2015.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

nylander has more value than the 8th overall pick.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Probably debrincat straight across, maybe minor addition. But it has to involve debrincat

Leafs shouldn't trade nylander unless it is a clear overpay tho

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Really poor logic, player values often change considerably in the years after the draft. Some for better some for worse. It's almost like saying Dylan McIlrath was the 10th overall pick so that should still be his value even tho he's an AHL lifer.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Could Toronto not flip the picks for a young RHD? Not that I would do this deal as a Hawk fan, but more of a question to Leaf fans saying it doesn't make sense.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Instead of replying to everyone who was against my post above, I'll state this.

There are a ton of talented players in this years draft. Sure, some will falter. But some could also exceed the abilities of Nylander.

For example, say someone like Wahlstrom was available. He could wind up just as good as WN, but the Hawks would have him for all three ELC years.

There's a risk/reward dynamic, and the Hawks need to take the risks if they want to get back to success in this league.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

25th for DeBrincat

Wait a second, never mind. We're giving up a 1st round pick for a former 2nd round pick. That just doesn't make any sense. Disregard.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

?

You would be getting an 8th that actually developed extremely well, in return for your 8th which is a question mark, and a late 1st. Hughes/Dobson will be nice to have, but they have a long way to go to being as valuable as Nylander. Nylander has some awards and his career is on pace to be similar to Scheifele and Forsberg as of today, with the next two years growth being key.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
You'd need to overpay since you don't have the D they would look for.

Schmaltz+8th OA --> Leafs probably would need to add something to even it out

Leafs get the C they need plus get a chance at a solid RHD Prospect (Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist)

But I would not advise the Hawks in doing that move.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Hawks are at the point where they need to draft their own Nylander that out performs his entry level deal to make up for having a horrible contract in Seabrook and a bad Toews contract, and not pay a Nylander after he already has had his ELC cheap production. The #8 OA in a deep draft is where you grab that kind of guy that as early as this season might be helping you at the NHL level (Hughes or Wahlstrom I think could play limited roles and cut their teeth this fall). I would not be opposed to trading the #27 for a young immediate piece as there are teams that will have tough choices with cap over the next few Summers (Winnipeg, Tampa, or even Carolina based on their internal team cap limit). If you get the #8 right, you hit on a couple of Forsling/Jokiharju/Mitchell, as early as next year you could have your own home grown (cheap) top 4 Dman(s) &/or top 6 forward.

While you can hope trading for a top line guy in the magic pill and everything else works out perfect (Toews/Saad/Seabs/Keith have major rebound years....Schmaltz/DeBrincat go from good to very good...several of Hayden/Hino/Sikura/Duclair/Kampf/Kunan/Edjell/Forsling/Gustafson/Jokiharju go from suspect....err I mean prospect....to solid NHL player...and Crawford moves past whatever his problems were and actually plays. I think the reality is that outside of going all in and managing to sign a one of Tavares/Stastny/Carlsson and trade for a Trouba/Hanifin/Risolainin/Nurse/Klefbom type, you are treading water at best. The smarter play is add a piece or two that can play a significant role (but not necessarily a current star) for not only this year, but over the next 2 to 4 or 5 years while you sort through this years #8 and what you already have in the prospect pipeline and have them marinate.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Schmaltz and DeBrincat individually are as good as Nylander. Why would the Hawks add the 8th overall in a hypothetical deal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad