William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I still say bridge deal. Im notnsure what he is. Is he only a season performer? Is he only a winger?

Is he a defensive liability?

Is he going to improve and learn to compete?

I dont know.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I still say bridge deal. Im notnsure what he is. Is he only a season performer? Is he only a winger?

Is he a defensive liability?

Is he going to improve and learn to compete?

I dont know.

Exactly. A bridge deal allows him to fully demonstrate what he is under more situations, and allows guys like Johnsson, Kapanen and Grundstrom to show what they are too. If it turns out that Johnsson grows into a comparable offensive producer while adding a better two way game, grit and big game ability, but isn't asking for pseudo franchise player money, maybe Nylander is a piece you can deal from a position of strength.

Reactions: BVG

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s a fair chance Nylander outscores Johnsson and Kapanen combined next season - even if both of those guys are on the roster opening night.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I think it’s funny that William Nylander is the only f***ing player on this f***ing team who has to f***ing prove he is worth earning 6 million dollars while you have players on the Leafs that get a pass whatever they f***ing do.

I’d be more worried about Matthews earning 10.5 or more when he cannot even play with Hyman and Brown and struggles without a skilled player on his wing- William, on the other hand, has proven he can play with less skilled players.

But yeah, let’s bridge him even though he one of our best producing players, is one of 24 players since the lockout that has at least two 60+ point seasons in their first three seasons (betting myself that he will get another 60+ in his third) and had a fantastic playoff series against Washington. He has earned getting a 6 million dollars paycheck.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There’s a fair chance Nylander outscores Johnsson and Kapanen combined next season - even if both of those guys are on the roster opening night.
If he does, the leafs aren't going anywhere. Lots of point to replace with JVR and or Bozak

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If he does, the leafs aren't going anywhere. Lots of point to replace with JVR and or Bozak
I'd guess that Johnsson and Kapanen, as of now, are expected to replace their even strength scoring. That's not impossible, but shouldn't mean gaudy numbers either. On the PP, I see us moving Matthews and Nylander over to the first unit replacing JvR and Bozak there, and other guys will step into the second unit to replace their (meager) production in turn.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I can see Nylander hitting 70ish points.

Johnsson maybe 40, Kapanen in the low 20s. But we’ll see how things unfold. Combined they likely hit around 60-65 points.
So Kapanen will perform at Komorov levels? Are you crazy? You understand the pedigree of Kapanen right?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So Kapanen will perform at Komorov levels? Are you crazy. You understand the pedigree of Kapanen right?

He also only had 9 points in 38 NHL games. I might be a tad under estimating his totals next season (maybe he hits 30-35) but the broader point remains that neither are going to be remotely close to Nylander offensively.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'd guess that Johnsson and Kapanen, as of now, are expected to replace their even strength scoring. That's not impossible, but shouldn't mean gaudy numbers either. On the PP, I see us moving Matthews and Nylander over to the first unit replacing JvR and Bozak there, and other guys will step into the second unit to replace their (meager) production in turn.
I'm actually expecting good numbers

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Even if he stays a 60 point player (which I doubt) he's still basically getting paid what he's worth

Unless he gets hit by a bus this is a slam dunk
He will be likely not playing with Mathews next year and could very well be playing center seeing a lot less 5on5 ice time. It is no where near a given that he scores 60 points next season.

So if he scores 45pts then what?

I think that Marner is going to play with Mathews next season and Nylander is going to be playing center on our 3rd line. 6plus million a year is a lot of money to pay for a 3rd line center.

I seriously see no reason why we sign him to a long term contract as we do not know what he is. Is he a winger, is he a center.

What we have seen consistently from Willy is that he plays a very perimeter game and his effort level (compete) is lacking.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He also only had 9 points in 38 NHL games. I might be a tad under estimating his totals next season (maybe he hits 30-35) but the broader point remains that neither are going to be remotely close to Nylander offensively.
He should move up in the line up and not be playing on the 4th line with 4th line minutes.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Didnt both of those guys out point nylander in the playoffs?

My bad. Johnson didn't play and kap only got the 1 point/goal

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it’s funny that William Nylander is the only ****ing player on this ****ing team who has to ****ing prove he is worth earning 6 million dollars while you have players on the Leafs that get a pass whatever they ****ing do.

I’d be more worried about Matthews earning 10.5 or more when he cannot even play with Hyman and Brown and struggles without a skilled player on his wing- William, on the other hand, has proven he can play with less skilled players.

But yeah, let’s bridge him even though he one of our best producing players, is one of 24 players since the lockout that has at least two 60+ point seasons in their first three seasons (betting myself that he will get another 60+ in his third) and had a fantastic playoff series against Washington. He has earned getting a 6 million dollars paycheck.

if it makes you feel better, if it were up to me, I'd bridge Marner and Matthews too.
I've been saying since the word Jump, if you look at who Matthews agent is and who he represents, all of his clients signed 5 years deal, opting for the earlier UFA year.

i don't understand why people think bridge contracts is an insult, or it has to be "well why does it have to be THIS player, vs THAT player."

Nylander has had 60ish points in two years (I don't remember specifically)
1 really good playoff round
1 really not so good playoff round.

give him the Kucherov, and come back in 3 years.
it's okay. it doesn't mean we don't like him it means we're using the CBA to our advantage. if he knocks it out of the park, congrats, Will, you get more monies. hurrah.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think that Marner is going to play with Mathews next season and Nylander is going to be playing center on our 3rd line. 6plus million a year is a lot of money to pay for a 3rd line center.

on a team like the Leafs where every forward roughly plays the same amount of minutes, does it really matter what # centre he is? and even if he is there (to start) is the there for X amount of years? probably not.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Similar bridge to what Kadri got a few years back?
1. Inflation.
2. Kadri wasn’t as proven. At that point, Kadri had 63 career points. Nylander has had back to back seasons of 61. Yes, kadri was coming off a great season, but it was in a lockout season of 48 games, which was a career high in games played for him. Kadri showed he could produce over a span 48 games in one season while Nylander has showed it over a span of 163 games during 2 seasons.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1. Inflation.
2. Kadri wasn’t as proven. At that point, Kadri had 63 career points. Nylander has had back to back seasons of 61. Yes, kadri was coming off a great season, but it was in a lockout season of 48 games, which was a career high in games played for him. Kadri showed he could produce over a span 48 games in one season while Nylander has showed it over a span of 163 games during 2 seasons.
How much and how long? 6x6 seem fair?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I think it’s funny that William Nylander is the only ****ing player on this ****ing team who has to ****ing prove he is worth earning 6 million dollars while you have players on the Leafs that get a pass whatever they ****ing do.

Yeah. Lets credit him with the .67 points per game in last year's playoffs. Huge huge outing.
How many players on the leafs currently make $6MM+ per year? One! Every member of the team will have to prove they are worth the money. I totally believe that Nylander feels he deserves more than 6. I don't thing he wants $6MM. For me....$6MM x 7 (because he is really young) or $4.67MM x 3 with a preference to the later.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He will be likely not playing with Mathews next year and could very well be playing center seeing a lot less 5on5 ice time. It is no where near a given that he scores 60 points next season.

So if he scores 45pts then what?

I seriously see no reason why we sign him to a long term contract as we do not know what he is. Is he a winger, is he a center.

What we have seen consistently from Willy is that he plays a very perimeter game and his effort level (compete) is lacking.

Then he's a 60+ point RW for around 6M

If that's an issue to you I'd like to know what a serious problem looks like, the way your talking you would think 60 point players fall from the sky there so easy to replace

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
on a team like the Leafs where every forward roughly plays the same amount of minutes, does it really matter what # centre he is? and even if he is there (to start) is the there for X amount of years? probably not.
The ice time alotment is about to change. And the ice time was not about the same last year 5on5 and this coming season there will be a bigger gap between lines.

This is just my opinion as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad