Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

Jun 27, 2005
As a realist Leaf fan (some of our fans are ridiculous homers) the value deal is Nylander + Liljegren for Draisaitl, but both teams are taking risks that probably aren't worth it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As a realist Leaf fan (some of our fans are ridiculous homers) the value deal is Nylander + Liljegren for Draisaitl, but both teams are taking risks that probably aren't worth it.
Still doesn't make sense for the Leafs. Drai may have a bit more value than Nylander as we speak(I think they're even by seasons end) so adding on our wild card in Liljegren who most are high on is simply too much. There's very little incentive for the Leafs to make that move when the team isnt a contender quite yet.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Different Leaf fan perspective - I wouldn't want to make that trade because of the expected difference in cap hit. I'm sure if you polled Fans/Coaches/Hockey Writers, Draisatl would be considered the better player today, we're gonna need the cap though and I'm sure you guys are already feeling the pinch over those two huge contracts

Side note: the indicators on Nylander have been very good with and without Matthews, we like his chances to close the gap on Draisatl but we (or at least I) will recognize that as being a gamble.
His ability to enter the offensive zone with puck control is scary, great Corsi guy because he gets in so cleanly and makes so much space for himself to do stuff with the speed/shiftiness combo and he's diligent getting back on defense
Fair points... but if Willy is a top 10 scorer by seasons end, he'll likely command 7.5+ per year. The sentiment I'm getting from Leaf posters is in re: to salary cap hits... it's as if they don't think Willy will get paid big even if he puts up 70+ points

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Fair points... but if Willy is a top 10 scorer by seasons end, he'll likely command 7.5+ per year. The sentiment I'm getting from Leaf posters is in re: to salary cap hits... it's as if they don't think Willy will get paid big even if he puts up 70+ points
If Nylander is a top 10 scorer at 21/22 the Leafs will pay him whatever he wants. 7.5 million for 8 years would be a steal at that point.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think we're pulling for an extension to happen earlier than the end of the year. Also seems like Draisatl was paid as a center where Nylander probably won't be a center this year, Pastrnak has to to be the obvious comparable if Nylander ends up in the low 70's I'd think

things change if he moves to center for sure, but I think management controls that aspect and might be doing that with cost control in mind. Matthews and Nylander together were insane in pre-season, so that helps to justify keeping him there even if a hole opens at center

Mar 26, 2010
Exactly my point... Nylander is a better player and will also be paid less? Not likely.
Draisaitl has also played a full season more than Nylander.

Draisaitl is a high skill player, also Willy Nylander is. Wait until after this season and value is Equal.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
I think we're pulling for an extension to happen earlier than the end of the year. Also seems like Draisatl was paid as a center where Nylander probably won't be a center this year, Pastrnak has to to be the obvious comparable if Nylander ends up in the low 70's I'd think

things change if he moves to center for sure, but I think management controls that aspect and might be doing that with cost control in mind. Matthews and Nylander together were insane in pre-season, so that helps to justify keeping him there even if a hole opens at center
I see what you mean. I was under the impression Bozak is likely gone sometime soon (within 2 years) and Willy would play 2C...essentially exactly what was done with Drai?

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Draisaitl has also played a full season more than Nylander.

Draisaitl is a high skill player, also Willy Nylander is. Wait until after this season and value is Equal.
Nylander is very good, I don't dispute that.
My point was made in reference to salary reasons for not trading Willy for Drai.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I see what you mean. I was under the impression Bozak is likely gone sometime soon (within 2 years) and Willy would play 2C...essentially exactly what was done with Drai?

Bozak's gone after this year unless we decide to re-sign him, but Nylander is eligible to be extended now with his contract expiring July 1 2018 so he doesn't have much time to make a move and there's no need for the team to move him over yet. Babcock has been on record saying both that the Leafs see Nylander as a center eventually, and that Nylander won't be a center this year

I think Nylander as the 2C is the plan for sure, but would expect that to happen post-extension. The only guys that got really paid this year were McDavid, Draisatl and Johansen. Both the elite young wingers like Pastrnak and the elite-ceiling young wingers-who-might-be-centers like Drouin got very manageable cap-hit extensions, so we're optimistic for a deal like that

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

No you are not the realist Leaf fan, you are a worst case scenario self loathing Leaf fan (if you are even really a Leaf fan). Again until you see Nylander's future cap hit valuations are pretty foolish.

It is interesting to note that if you compare Dra's production without Mcdavid he projects as a mid 60 point player. So those four extra points are worth our 1a/1b prospect? Now factor in Dra's contract. Is his size and physicality worth the difference? We don't know without seeing Nylander's contract. Say Nylander gets 7mil ( I think he may get as low as 6 but am not positive). I would say the little edge Leon has is balanced by the 1.5 million. Maybe slight edge to Leon. If Nylander is closer to 6 it starts to slide in our favor.

So, how are you the "Realist Leaf Fan" when you made a decision on what appears to be nothing more than the score sheet of a guy who plays with the 2nd best C in the world and the last seasons scoring leader? You aren't, you're an anti homer.

It's amazing how we always hear how wicked McDavid is, how he makes everyone around him better except Leon Draisaitl for some reason? Is it because he lacks the hockey sense to take advantage of that or is it more likely it is just conveniently ignored to pump his tires? Gee I wonder....

Let's not point to his beast mode playoffs either, he had nice numbers to be sure, but he got most of his points in one round.

My goal is not to crap on Leon here, I like him a lot. He could be play on my team any day. But let's not pretend he is on another planet than Nylander because he isn't. We also do not know how much either will further grow so considering Dra's cap hit that might be a good thing to know before considering a trade for them.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander is very good, I don't dispute that.
My point was made in reference to salary reasons for not trading Willy for Drai.
Both Nylander and Draisaitl are Elite. Neither will be traded.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not really a trade to be made. Giving up a young elite talent doesn't make sense for anything less than an overpayment, and Edmonton doesn't really need to gut their team for Nylander

Jun 27, 2005
No you are not the realist Leaf fan, you are a worst case scenario self loathing Leaf fan (if you are even really a Leaf fan). Again until you see Nylander's future cap hit valuations are pretty foolish.

It is interesting to note that if you compare Dra's production without Mcdavid he projects as a mid 60 point player. So those four extra points are worth our 1a/1b prospect? Now factor in Dra's contract. Is his size and physicality worth the difference? We don't know without seeing Nylander's contract. Say Nylander gets 7mil ( I think he may get as low as 6 but am not positive). I would say the little edge Leon has is balanced by the 1.5 million. Maybe slight edge to Leon. If Nylander is closer to 6 it starts to slide in our favor.

So, how are you the "Realist Leaf Fan" when you made a decision on what appears to be nothing more than the score sheet of a guy who plays with the 2nd best C in the world and the last seasons scoring leader? You aren't, you're an anti homer.

It's amazing how we always hear how wicked McDavid is, how he makes everyone around him better except Leon Draisaitl for some reason? Is it because he lacks the hockey sense to take advantage of that or is it more likely it is just conveniently ignored to pump his tires? Gee I wonder....

Let's not point to his beast mode playoffs either, he had nice numbers to be sure, but he got most of his points in one round.

My goal is not to crap on Leon here, I like him a lot. He could be play on my team any day. But let's not pretend he is on another planet than Nylander because he isn't. We also do not know how much either will further grow so considering Dra's cap hit that might be a good thing to know before considering a trade for them.

Exactly what I'm talking about. This guy suggests that McDavid makes Drai while completely ignoring that Nylander is dependent on Matthews and the power play WITH Matthews. It's this sort of delusion that makes Leaf fans look bad.

http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=4044&games=2016-2017:R

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This is a regular occurance than?
There's some bad ones for sure. You'll see lots that completely ignore one teams needs, and you'll find some posters from all fanbases can't draw parallels between their own high value assets and other teams' high value assets, which leads to lots of "we won't take a collection of lesser pieces for xxxx, but I think you should take our collection of lesser pieces for yyyyy"

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
There's some bad ones for sure. You'll see lots that completely ignore one teams needs, and you'll find some posters from all fanbases can't draw parallels between their own high value assets and other teams' high value assets, which leads to lots of "we won't take a collection of lesser pieces for xxxx, but I think you should take our collection of lesser pieces for yyyyy"

I feel like you are making a strong case to just avoid all trade proposal threads...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad