Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
There is an outside chance that JP could be more valuable in the future but I'm willing to bet my house that Nurse never will be.

You are welcome to your own opinion and it's not unreasonable to say that. I'm of the belief that Nurse could still be a decent #3. Defensemen take longer to develop. Especially bigger guys with lower hockey IQ.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
They don't seem like great trade partners to me - at least on the level where you're asking for Nylander.

Leafs would justifiably ask for a piece Edmonton doesn't want to move and Edmonton would justifiably say no. Stalemate.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
No one that the Oilers are willing to move would fetch Nylander.

True. And the Leafs will not get Connor so dream on ! And if Leon is the comparable, why would the Oilers even consider this? Leon gives them scoring as well but much bigger and more physical. Wouldn't make any sense for the Oilers to do a trade like that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You are welcome to your own opinion and it's not unreasonable to say that. I'm of the belief that Nurse could still be a decent #3. Defensemen take longer to develop. Especially bigger guys with lower hockey IQ.
Even if Nurse hits his ceiling and becomes a decent #3 (which is entirely possible) I still don't think his value will be close to Nylander's.
If JP somehow hits his peak, that's a different story. He has all the tools to dominate. How did he look in camp?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm of the belief that Nurse could still be a decent #3
I don't really see how that would make him more valuable than Nylander? I don't see how that comes close, actually.

Defensemen take longer to develop
Actually, the studies I've read on that topic indicate that the difference isn't very big at all. If you look at solid top 4-defenders in the league, the vast majority reached the league early and didn't take long to make an impact. Not saying that this is not true for Nurse, just addressing the particular idea that I quoted.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Also, as I side note: I'm glad that everyone so far civilly recognizes that there isn't a likely trade that makes sense. I hope it doesn't devolve from here, though I suspect it will.

Reactions: Bretzky

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Even if Nurse hits his ceiling and becomes a decent #3 (which is entirely possible) I still don't think his value will be close to Nylander's.
If JP somehow hits his peak, that's a different story. He has all the tools to dominate. How did he look in camp?

Same as last season.

The tool set is readily apparent but he is just ridiculously raw. Has absolutely no idea how to play an NHL style.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Same as last season.

The tool set is readily apparent but he is just ridiculously raw. Has absolutely no idea how to play an NHL style.
Is this a case of all the tools but no toolbox or is it just about acclimatizing to NA hockey?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Similarly to Edmonton, Toronto has their roster needs pretty isolated. Also similarly to Edmonton, RHD is one of those needs (a top pairing RHD is probably about the only thing that is really a hole for Toronto). So to trade Nylander for something that isn't that young/good/huge upside RHD would take a huge overpay, especially in futures, because it either means you get diminished returns for the guys that you got back due to too much position overlap, or it miss-aligns the compete window in waiting for the futures to be NHL ready

I don't see us as good trade partners for one of our core pieces because the needs and compete windows for both teams are similar

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What if the package was Nurse + Puljujarvi for Nylander + minor piece?
Awful for Toronto. Too much uncertainty in Puljujarvi, while Nylander already looks like a sure thing. Nurse averaged 17:01 TOI last season, which makes him a #4 d-man. Those are a lot easier to come by than top line players like Nylander who have PPG potential. Nylander killed it during the second half of last season.

Would Edmonton trade one of their big young players for a grab bag of lesser assets?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd imagine this would need to be Draisaitl, but even then Toronto might decline because it's a lateral move at best, and Nylander is still cost controlled.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Also, as I side note: I'm glad that everyone so far civilly recognizes that there isn't a likely trade that makes sense. I hope it doesn't devolve from here, though I suspect it will.

I mean this thread is obviously a bait attempt. For one, Nylander is the 2nd most valuable player on the Leafs. For two, Edmonton can't afford him and he'd be a luxury there. For three, the pieces offered are laughable. A guy who hasn't proven he's more than a bottom pairing D with IQ questions, and a guy who struggled in the AHL and was bad in camp.

This is like me starting a thread for Drai and asking if Leivo, Marincin, or Kapanen is enough?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd imagine this would need to be Draisaitl, but even then Toronto might decline because it's a lateral move at best, and Nylander is still cost controlled.

It'd be interesting to compare Draisatl and Nylander when Nylander has an extension in place. At the same money I'm sure that Draisatl would be the more popular option at this point, but if Nylander is $1.5-$2M cheaper I'd choose him for sure, valuable consideration for two teams barreling towards cap hell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad