Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What would it take?

Package centered around Nurse? Puljujarvi? Yamamoto?

If im Lou i don't trade Willie for all 3.

Him and Matthews got a good thing going, no reason to break it up. It's going to be a dynamic duo for many, many years to come. So basically as untouchable as it gets.

If any of the kids ever get traded (big if) it's going to be Marner. Ferris might give a reason.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
I mean this thread is obviously a bait attempt. For one, Nylander is the 2nd most valuable player on the Leafs. For two, Edmonton can't afford him and he'd be a luxury there. For three, the pieces offered are laughable. A guy who hasn't proven he's more than a bottom pairing D with IQ questions, and a guy who struggled in the AHL and was bad in camp.

This is like me starting a thread for Drai and asking if Leivo, Marincin, or Kapanen is enough?

At this point Drai>Nylander. Also at this point, Kap is the only guy who's close to the 3 suggested in the OP. It would not be a comparable thread.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What if the package was Nurse + Puljujarvi for Nylander + minor piece?

if the Leafs were going to move Nylander for a D piece, it would be significantly better than Nurse, don't care about the add on pieces (we have forwards and wingers galore)

Look at the Johansen -Jones trade as a template of young stud for young stud.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What if the package was Nurse + Puljujarvi for Nylander + minor piece?
Nurse sucks. Puljujarvi might end up being as good as Nylander, but it's a major risk to take (and I assume he's going to be expected to move to 2c eventually, so Toronto would be sacrificing centre depth if they did the trade).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Uh...

I don't understand how we could afford Nylander long term, for one.
This. Plus we're pretty much set at top six centre, and don't need another guy who will ask top dollar to play wing for us. Fine player, just no fit here cap wise from our perspective, and Toronto has no need to move him out.

Both sides should have zero interest.

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
I don't really see how that would make him more valuable than Nylander? I don't see how that comes close, actually.

Actually, the studies I've read on that topic indicate that the difference isn't very big at all. If you look at solid top 4-defenders in the league, the vast majority reached the league early and didn't take long to make an impact. Not saying that this is not true for Nurse, just addressing the particular idea that I quoted.

My opinion is that pairing top D is worth more then a scoring winger. Unless you're talking the elite in the league. So yes I believe Nylander's value is roughly a good #3.

Uhmmmm. Your just messing with us right? Nylander does not get you close to Drai. Let alone Drai +.

That's ridiculous. Of course Nylander gets you close to Drai. Especially considering salary

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
My opinion is that pairing top D is worth more then a scoring winger. Unless you're talking the elite in the league. So yes I believe Nylander's value is roughly a good #3.

I think if you're talking about a defenseman who's a good #3 at 21 years old with upside that's fair, Nylander would get credit for potential in a trade - both as a potential elite offensive player and a potential center

I agree on the premise of non-elite 1st line winger = #3 D in terms of value, just need to account for how much ceiling the guy on either side might have left to reach for

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Alright. Not disagreeing, but you confuse me with your train or arguments here. You establish Nurse as a future decent #3, and say that you think he'll be worth more than Nylander. Now you establish Nylander's value as that of a good #3, and that top pairing D are worth more than scoring wingers? Could you clear that up for me?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is this a case of all the tools but no toolbox or is it just about acclimatizing to NA hockey?
Acclimating. It isn't a "no toolbox" situation, we saw him adapt in the AHL a fair bit last year. He just needs more time to develop. Mostly with his confidence I believe, and his ability to play on a NA sized rink vs an international sized rink. It'll come with time.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Neither would I. If this trade happened they'd laugh at the Leafs once they seen how good he is with McDavid..
Well, we know how good Drai is with McDavid. We don't know how good Nylander could be with McDavid. We also know that Drai can be effective without McDavid. Can Nylander maintain his level with Matthews away from him? That's why we are laughing at the Drai suggestion. Not that you guys should settle for much less, but from OUR perspective, it would be ridiculous to trade Draisaitl for Nylander.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Well, we know how good Drai is with McDavid. We don't know how good Nylander could be with McDavid. We also know that Drai can be effective without McDavid. Can Nylander maintain his level with Matthews away from him? That's why we are laughing at the Drai suggestion. Not that you guys should settle for much less, but from OUR perspective, it would be ridiculous to trade Draisaitl for Nylander.

Different Leaf fan perspective - I wouldn't want to make that trade because of the expected difference in cap hit. I'm sure if you polled Fans/Coaches/Hockey Writers, Draisatl would be considered the better player today, we're gonna need the cap though and I'm sure you guys are already feeling the pinch over those two huge contracts

Side note: the indicators on Nylander have been very good with and without Matthews, we like his chances to close the gap on Draisatl but we (or at least I) will recognize that as being a gamble.
His ability to enter the offensive zone with puck control is scary, great Corsi guy because he gets in so cleanly and makes so much space for himself to do stuff with the speed/shiftiness combo and he's diligent getting back on defense

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
Alright. Not disagreeing, but you confuse me with your train or arguments here. You establish Nurse as a future decent #3, and say that you think he'll be worth more than Nylander. Now you establish Nylander's value as that of a good #3, and that top pairing D are worth more than scoring wingers? Could you clear that up for me?

Good point. I did say more valuable but was really meaning to point out that Nurse wouldn't be a trade piece that would interest Toronto enough to move Nylander unless he hits his ceiling.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah they are comparable talents with the obvious edge to Dra but he is a bit overpaid imo (not a ton but I like him better at 7-7.5 or even less). If Nylander had played last year with McDavid it is not stretch his numbers could have been close to Dra. Dra is bigger and stronger and that is sexy but until we see Nylander's contract it's hard to compare their value. Obviously in real life they are not traded for each other just for kicks. This whole thread has little merit and was probably designed to have the two craziest fan bases go at each other. We are not rebuilding so that garbage package has little appeal.

Two teams in comparable positions, both wanting a top 4 RHD, Oilers want an offensive one, we want a Larson/Tanev type. Neither side can afford to give the other what they want if we were looking at something around Larson for Zaitsev. So would our GM's even call each other? Probably not unless it is for minor league tweak trades.

Could probably not find two worse trading partners except for the fact we are in different conferences.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lol @ the + being on Edmonton's side.
Well, this is one of those occasions in which someone said "what would it take for Nylander?", ya, Drai+ is obviously to much, but why would the Leafs sell Nylander for less? The point is, Nylander isn't available for anything Edmonton would realistically make available.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Good point. I did say more valuable but was really meaning to point out that Nurse wouldn't be a trade piece that would interest Toronto enough to move Nylander unless he hits his ceiling.
This is a tough one, at some point last season I expected Nylander's game to plateau but this kid is just getting better and better.
L.D is a great player but I feel that Nylander out scores him this yr

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Can Nylander maintain his level with Matthews away from him?
He is the furthest thing from a passenger on that line. Towards the end of the season he was damn near our best player. Matthews and Nylander compliment each other much more than one feeding off the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad