William Nylander - The execution meister.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Let's assume the Leafs don't end up signing John Tavares and Tyler Bozak leaves for another team as a UFA, who will replace him at Centre if they don't want Nylander doing that?

I have a feeling they'll go with a defensive #3 center and Aaltonen for responsible sheltered scoring on the 4th line. Let the Kadri/Marner combo get some softer offensive minutes and get Matthews/Nylander up to 18 minutes or so. I'd rather have Nylander at center and now's the safest time to try out that experiment.

Reactions: Menzinger

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

assist of the year. Babcock's take on this one is laughable

Well, technically Babcock is correct... I however did not like that quote but perhaps Nylander is the type that Babcock thinks do best when not cuddled with or when praised. I think everyone does better when praised by the one above but I trust Babs to know better here. I hope to trust Babs is perhaps a bit more correct.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Well, technically Babcock is correct... I however did not like that quote but perhaps Nylander is the type that Babcock thinks do best when not cuddled with or when praised. I think everyone does better when praised by the one above but I trust Babs to know better here. I hope to trust Babs is perhaps a bit more correct.

I doubt very much Nylander is even aware of this quote by Babcock.
Nothing wrong with the quote though, IMO.

Reactions: stickty111

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I doubt very much Nylander is even aware of this quote by Babcock.
Nothing wrong with the quote though, IMO.

He could have said it differently without the "feeling guilty" part. Players lose pucks all the time and especially offensive ones in the offensive zone. It is part of the game and that situation was nothing Nylander should have felt guilty about had he not recovered the puck. But then again, it is successful back checkings like that who could win you a game (or earn a point) so it was correct to highlight the importance of it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sometimes you can just be a good guy and say, yeah he did well on that play. Constant negative feedback doesn't work for many. True or not, sometimes you need to give the guy a free one, you know, like he did Mitch when he was screwing up all his passes. We know he has the ability and has before.

Matthews
Polak
Hyman
Marner
---+-++-++ Crud
========= Ground level
Nylander

Reactions: Nifty Willy

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He could have said it differently without the "feeling guilty" part. Players lose pucks all the time and especially offensive ones in the offensive zone. It is part of the game and that situation was nothing Nylander should have felt guilty about had he not recovered the puck. But then again, it is successful back checkings like that who could win you a game (or earn a point) so it was correct to highlight the importance of it.
I doubt he literally meant "felt guilty'.
You see players all the time try a little harder after a give away, if it didn't result in a goal it wouldn't even have been mentioned.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lots of these kinds of fathers/coaches around rinks and in sport. Negative feedback isn't a bad thing but when used like that, it's more leaning towards Douchebaggery. I would confront him and correct his mistake personally. It'd probably escalate lol.

Anyways, most successful development coaches are firm but provide constructive criticism. Kids dealing with dudes like this almost never make pro. They drop out of sport and other stuff. Kills the love of the game for them but these aren't kids. Hope Nylander has thick skin because I know that would get me so pissed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I doubt he literally meant "felt guilty'.
You see players all the time try a little harder after a give away, if it didn't result in a goal it wouldn't even gave been mentioned.

You don't think Nylander listens to post game quotes of his coach? He has the internet and Babcock means what he says, right or wrong. He was wrong to say that, because what he said was wrong.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Maybe you guys should watch the interview instead of just trying to read between the lines of one quote.

He even gives a little chuckle when he mentions the turnover and says right after he made a heck of a play.

More fun with hot takes about how the coach who plays him like our #2 forward actually secretly hates him.

I remember Babcock in the stands at the WC when Nylander scored one of his beauts. He said "That's my boy" and couldn't stop smiling afterwards, he looked like a proud dad.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
More fun with hot takes about how the coach who plays him like our #2 forward actually secretly hates him.

I remember Babcock in the stands at the WC when Nylander scored one of his beauts. He said "That's my boy" and couldn't stop smiling afterwards, he looked like a proud dad.
They make bets with each other on who's going to do better at the Olympics. Nylander wearing the Canadian jersey at practice. He's a tough coach but I'm sure he really likes Nylander a lot and sees a lot in him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Lots of these kinds of fathers/coaches around rinks and in sport. Negative feedback isn't a bad thing but when used like that, it's more leaning towards *****ebaggery. I would confront him and correct his mistake personally. It'd probably escalate lol.

Anyways, most successful development coaches are firm but provide constructive criticism. Kids dealing with dudes like this almost never make pro. They drop out of sport and other stuff. Kills the love of the game for them but these aren't kids. Hope Nylander has thick skin because I know that would get me so pissed.

Do you really think those things didn't happen? That Babcock didn't personally praise him for his effort and talk to him about both the positives and negatives of the play? Or do you think he only communicates to his players through media scrums?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Reminds me of the Kadri tough love, and look how that turned out. Just assume the coach knows WAY WAY more than we do about how to motivate individual guys.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you really think those things didn't happen? That Babcock didn't personally praise him for his effort and talk to him about both the positives and negatives of the play? Or do you think he only communicates to his players through media scrums?

The negative was manufactured. It's like... You only said that because you want to appease management after your last post in this thread where you called Lou senile.

If nobody can find that post, not surprised it never happened.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The negative was manufactured. It's like... You only said that because you want to appease management after your last post in this thread where you called Lou senile.

If nobody can find that post, not surprised it never happened.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mar 14, 2015

Hehe yeah me too. Been searching for a vid with that moment after but cant find it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Video moment never happened. Where is it? Produce the video. I didn't see it. Nobody can find it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Well it's a good thing that Nylander is a professional hockey player and not a child that needs a cookie for doing what is expected of him.

Reactions: stickty111

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well it's a good thing that Nylander is a professional hockey player and not a child that needs a cookie for doing what is expected of him.

Are you willing to admit that Marner needs coddling? Matthews as well? I have seen them make mistakes and it is never mentioned, so if I read into this... It means Babcock thinks Nylander is a man and that Matthews and Marner are kids. Polak is a man but a kid and so is Komarov.

There is some disconnects here. Why say anything negative to the media about any of your players?

You just made a stupid post and I rarely read what you write anyways. Sometimes you make a good point though. Hope you enjoyed the pointlessly negative joke. -Babcockian

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Oh boo hoo about the quote. Nylander has a pair of nuts so I sure hope he doesn't let this bother him. Jeez I wonder sometimes if our culture has any man left.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As I said in the PGT, There’s nothing wrong with what Babcock said.

Nylander lost the puck, got his ass going to get it back, and made an unreal play.

There’s nothing wrong with saying that. Stop being ridiculous

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: It seems like some think the only way the Coach communicates with the players is through the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad