William Nylander - The execution meister.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Are you willing to admit that Marner needs coddling? Matthews as well? I have seen them make mistakes and it is never mentioned, so if I read into this... It means Babcock thinks Nylander is a man and that Matthews and Marner are kids. Polak is a man but a kid and so is Komarov.

You're completely missing the boat on the interaction, and on the nature of the relationship, especially when it comes to with one player vs. another.

F He's not calling Nylander out for a turnover. He's setting the culture and expectation that when you take a chance (a light chip to a soft space for an attempt at a cut back under pressure without control of the puck would qualify) and it goes awry that your instinct and reaction is to bust your ass to rectify that mistake in the appropriate manner. That dog on bone mentality for getting the puck back is the norm he's trying to set. By pointing out the turnover while complimenting the play on net he does that in one neat little package.

Tactical coaching and habit coaching are entirely different things. If you don't think that all those players have their mistakes brought up on the bench and during tape sessions I have a bridge to sell you in Spain. But those players all play with the hunger Willy sometimes lacks, the hunger that Babs expects from everysingle player. He can't coach the skill of hands into Komarov, or a better vision into Polak, but he can coach the behaviour of being hungrier into Nylander.

Last edited:

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
He clearly said that was luck and wasn't paying attention. Was talking to that other person and they probably said Nylander scored..." Yeah whatever" with mocking tone

WTF? There's a lot of talk of "being a man" in this thread. Time to be a man yourself and admit you were wrong. The video was produced after you said there was no video. You were wrong. All I ever read from you is about how often you're right and how much you know. It's excruciating.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I thought William Nylander’s game at center against Tampa Bay showed quite a bit of promise, even if he got caught out there for two goals against (one was a play behind the net where he was in the right support position but fanned on a play he makes 19 times out of 20; the other was a tough play after Roman Polak put a short pass into his feet).
The organization has done a good job of bringing players along slowly and not rushing through them into situations that they’re unable to handle. That’s not the case here, though. Nylander can definitely handle it. He often gravitates towards center duties anyway, and the second and third efforts without the puck like the one preceding his brilliant set up on Zach Hyman’s goal tonight have been more and more commonplace in Nylander’s game as the season has wore on.

Game #66 Review: Florida Panthers 3 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 (OT) | Maple Leafs Hotstove

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You're completely missing the boat on the interaction, and on the nature of the relationship, especially when it comes to with one player vs. another.

F He's not calling Nylander out for a turnover. He's setting the culture and expectation that when you take a chance (a light chip to a soft space for an attempt at a cut back under pressure without control of the puck would qualify) and it goes awry that your instinct and reaction is to bust your ass to rectify that mistake in the appropriate manner. That dog on bone mentality for getting the puck back is the norm he's trying to set. By pointing out the turnover while complimenting the play on net he does that in one neat little package.

Tactical coaching and habit coaching are entirely different things. If you don't think that all those players have their mistakes brought up on the bench and during tape sessions I have a bridge to sell you in Spain. But those players all play with the hunger Willy sometimes lacks, the hunger that Babs expects from everysingle player. He can't coach the skill of hands into Komarov, or a better vision into Polak, but he can coach the behaviour of being hungrier into Nylander.

The public face of Babcock Nylander interactions is so ridiculous and obvious that it is becoming a distraction. There are jokes made about it, posts made about it. Cartoons are made about it.

It's stupid. He could ave said that was a nice play. That's it. There is no reason for this. It is completely childish on Babcock's part.

I once heard someone say if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. There was no turnover, he was back checking.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The public face of Babcock Nylander interactions is so ridiculous and obvious that it is becoming a distraction. There are jokes made about it, posts made about it. Cartoons are made about it.

It's stupid. He could ave said that was a nice play. That's it. There is no reason for this. It is completely childish on Babcock's part.

I once heard someone say if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. There was no turnover, he was back checking.

He had control of it on the board for a second before #5 on the Panthers poked it towards another Panther, that's a turnover. He turned it over but made a huge play to take it back.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He had control of it on the board for a second before #5 on the Panthers poked it towards another Panther, that's a turnover. He turned it over but made a huge play to take it back.

Looked like any old hockey play in the neutral zone to me. Look its cool if you dig immature professional behaviour and like the cartoons. Get back Nylander ye beast!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Looked like any old hockey play in the neutral zone to me. Look its cool if you dig immature professional behaviour and like the cartoons. Get back Nylander ye beast!
How did the puck get to the neutral zone?

Also, do you think the only feedback Nylander receives is what Babcock tells the media?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
lost in that assist is that Nylander is now 1 away from first in the league in 5v5 assists. crazy stuff. he'd probably be number 1 if Matthews was healthy this year

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How did the puck get to the neutral zone?

Also, do you think the only feedback Nylander receives is what Babcock tells the media?

It's silly, immature, obvious and out of control. There is no point to it, its weird to the point they write articles and cartoons. What more do you want me to say? Enjoy the circus brought you by the coach.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

TIL that reinforcing performance standards in a competitive professional organization = childish.
Your failure to understand the reasons doesn't mean they don't exist.

Do you think Bab's was chastising him for having the puck jump over his stick? No. There's a pretty clear message in Babacock's statement- If you're the high guy with 2 men deep, the weak side D caught low, and an opposing forward behind the strongside D and you decide to chip short under pressure 5 feet from the line rather than get the puck deep you better pull it off or get that puck back. Acknowledging the turnover is a big part of Bab's showing tacit approval of Nylander's play for the whole sequence.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's silly, immature, obvious and out of control. There is no point to it, its weird to the point they write articles and cartoons. What more do you want me to say? Enjoy the circus brought you by the coach.
Are the cartoons about Nylander from the Toronto Star? Cause that would make these conversations make a lot more sense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
TIL that reinforcing performance standards in a competitive professional organization = childish.
Your failure to understand the reasons doesn't mean they don't exist.

Do you think Bab's was chastising him for having the puck jump over his stick? No. There's a pretty clear message in Babacock's statement- If you're the high guy with 2 men deep, the weak side D caught low, and an opposing forward behind the strongside D and you decide to chip short under pressure 5 feet from the line rather than get the puck deep you better pull it off or get that puck back. Acknowledging the turnover is a big part of Bab's showing tacit approval of Nylander's play for the whole sequence.

He should practice what he preaches. He should probably treat Polaks BS mistakes the same. Unreal the double standards and public face of this man sometimes.

Is he a good coach? Yes

Right coach for the Leafs at the time? Yes

Does he have a history of players hating him? Yes

The secret about Babcock I most of hiss success comes fast and quick when he has limited time with the team. Olympic Coach? Obviously. I imagine he may get us l our cup but I think the continued success will cone from another.

He won't be a 15 yrs coach, he doesn't have that personality.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Is a second possession or is it a play, contested puck. If that was the case there would be stats with hundreds of takes and gives a game per team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He should practice what he preaches. He should probably treat Polaks BS mistakes the same. Unreal the double standards and public face of this man sometimes.

I'll quote myself because the message didn't sink in.

Double standards are a necessary reality. Two thirds of the roster never consider trying to make that chip and cut back. The ones who have the skill and predisposition to do so are held to a higher standard. Uncle Ben said it well. With great power comes great responsibility. Babs acknowledging the turnover and Nylander's "guilt" is an acknowledgment of Willie's growth as a player, and implicitly communicating that
A. Nylander's allowed to try that
B. He know's that Nylander understands the responsibilities that come with that leeway
and
C. Hammering home that those responsibilities aren't going to change

Reactions: cookie and IBeL13f

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'll quote myself because the message didn't sink in.

Double standards are a necessary reality. Two thirds of the roster never consider trying to make that chip and cut back. The ones who have the skill and predisposition to do so are held to a higher standard. Uncle Ben said it well. With great power comes great responsibility. Babs acknowledging the turnover and Nylander's "guilt" is an acknowledgment of Willie's growth as a player, and implicitly communicating that
A. Nylander's allowed to try that
B. He know's that Nylander understands the responsibilities that come with that leeway
and
C. Hammering home that those responsibilities aren't going to change

Tired boring message repeated in class. Lost on the students as wandering eyes check out. Babcock the simpleton "teacher" and pseudo psychologist.

You are a terrible poster and will never achieve HFBoards greatness. There is an off chance though because we see glimpses here and here. -- see that was a joke, its childish BS.

Proxy baby yeaaah. Tell us how you feel Blabcock, tell us how you feel. Gotta teach Nylander via media comments lol

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Tired boring message repeated in class. Lost on the students as wandering eyes check out. Babcock the simpleton "teacher" and pseudo psychologist.

You are a terrible poster and will never achieve HFBoards greatness. There is an off chance though because we see glimpses here and here. -- see that was a joke, its childish BS.

Proxy baby yeaaah. Tell us how you feel Blabcock, tell us how you feel. Gotta teach Nylander via media comments lol

Sure glad it's not you in Willie's shoes, lest Babcock have to deal with what happens when you "escalate"

uYpCWic.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad