Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
They really should have traded this kid. It would sent the correct signal to the rest of the team. Now it is ridiculous and they haven’t done much good since the signing.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
He has a CF of 58%, (+7 rel) with an oiSH% of 8.8 which means the bounces have started going his way. It shows with 18 points in last 24 games. The reasons he received the amount of criticism he did is because a) he plays in toronto and b) he was coming off a contract holdout. Laine went through a worse slump than Nylander but it was overlooked by many

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
They really should have traded this kid. It would sent the correct signal to the rest of the team. Now it is ridiculous and they haven’t done much good since the signing.
What signal would that be? ..That some other team will overpay you if the Leafs don't? If it was easy,we would all have jobs in the front office of sports teams.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He has a CF of 58%, (+7 rel) with an oiSH% of 8.8 which means the bounces have started going his way. It shows with 18 points in last 24 games. The reasons he received the amount of criticism he did is because a) he plays in toronto and b) he was coming off a contract holdout. Laine went through a worse slump than Nylander but it was overlooked by many

This. Nylander has been creating tons of chances, the bounces are now just starting to level out. Riding shotgun w Matthews I expect the strong (recent) production to continue

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This. Nylander has been creating tons of chances, the bounces are now just starting to level out. Riding shotgun w Matthews I expect the strong (recent) production to continue
He'd be the 10 best point wise player on the Habs this season and wouldn't have a Matthews or Tavaras to ride shotgun with to help inflate his stats.

Reactions: Kallio

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He'd be the 10 best point wise player on the Habs this season and wouldn't have a Matthews or Tavaras to ride shotgun with to help inflate his stats.
Who cares? He's a young 2 time 60+ point winger on the 5th place team in the NHL...nobody gives a shit about his stats compared to a team sitting outside of the playoffs. If people did care about things like that, i would point out that we have a Dman with more points than ANY Habs player....

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Who cares? He's a young 2 time 60+ point winger on the 5th place team in the NHL...nobody gives a **** about his stats compared to a team sitting outside of the playoffs.
Seems like a lot give a shit considering there are 382 post in this thread.383 after this one.;)
He's also a 21 pt forward on that 5th place team.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs are in a tough position as to signing all the skilled guys. Maybe a couple prospects come through on D and are cap friendly. But for me, he may bring in the top RH D man who will make a material difference in the Leafs roster.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Leafs are in a tough position as to signing all the skilled guys. Maybe a couple prospects come through on D and are cap friendly. But for me, he may bring in the top RH D man who will make a material difference in the Leafs roster.
I think that as well. The way his contract is set up would make sense. But after what he said about Dubas promising not to trade him I don't know. Something's not adding up.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Seems like a lot give a **** considering there are 382 post in this thread.383 after this one.;)
He's also a 21 pt forward on that 5th place team.
Oh you misunderstood my post...yes, people do care about discussing Nylander....as the thread title would suggest. They don't give a flying f*** however, how Nylander's stats look in comparison to the Habs....why would they?

Oh, and yes...he's a 21 point forward on the 5th place team in the league, is that supposed to bother me?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Not exactly. The Leafs can sign everyone of their RFAs. But they won't be able to RETAIN all their current players. A retired Marleau makes the cap a lot easier, other wise it's about 7 m elsewhere that has to go.

DelusionalLeafsFan above: Don't put an credence what a GM, player or coach says in public. It's meaningless. Now what Dubas said to Nylander privately has meaning, but we will never know what he said.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think that as well. The way his contract is set up would make sense. But after what he said about Dubas promising not to trade him I don't know. Something's not adding up.

Part of the Leafs' organizational culture now is heavy bonuses for their good players. Toronto can afford it and will leverage that ability for whatever positive effect it has on contract negotiations (I'm not sure it has much of one, but that's a different discussion).

It just may be a case of Dubas having a different view of team building than conventional wisdom. Teams have won with a strong forward group and an average defense before (Carolina 2006, Pittsburgh 2009, Pittsburgh 2017). Perhaps that's what he's looking at.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Part of the Leafs' organizational culture now is heavy bonuses for their good players. Toronto can afford it and will leverage that ability for whatever positive effect it has on contract negotiations (I'm not sure it has much of one, but that's a different discussion).

It just may be a case of Dubas having a different view of team building than conventional wisdom. Teams have won with a strong forward group and an average defense before (Carolina 2006, Pittsburgh 2009, Pittsburgh 2017). Perhaps that's what he's looking at.
The problem precedes Dubas...the last few drafts were forward heavy (Matthews/Marner/Nylander) and Dubas didn't make those picks...his 1st draft was Sandin. I think he understands the D needs significant help, he addressed it somewhat with Muzzin, but the cost of acquiring solid NHL Dmen is high...there wasn't much he could do. Next season will be a very interesting one defensively speaking, because right now we are looking at:

Rielly-??
Muzzin-Dermott
??-Zaitsev

We need all of Sandin/Rosen/Liljegren to develop into top 4D, and we know Dubas is trying to move Zaitsev....

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
The problem precedes Dubas...the last few drafts were forward heavy (Matthews/Marner/Nylander) and Dubas didn't make those picks...his 1st draft was Sandin. I think he understands the D needs significant help, he addressed it somewhat with Muzzin, but the cost of acquiring solid NHL Dmen is high...there wasn't much he could do. Next season will be a very interesting one defensively speaking, because right now we are looking at:

Rielly-??
Muzzin-Dermott
??-Zaitsev

We need all of Sandin/Rosen/Liljegren to develop into top 4D, and we know Dubas is trying to move Zaitsev....
I say Zaitsev on that top pair with Reilly, he has to be an upgrade over hainsey. and then rosen-lili thrid pair

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The contract was structured to give the Leafs flexibility.

Dubas’ words and actions identify Nylander as one of his core players, so I wouldn’t bet on him being traded. But if push ever comes to shove the contract is definitely attractive to potential suitors

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Rielly-??
Muzzin-Dermott
??-Zaitsev

Would agree with the above. Lil and Sandin stepping up and filling holes would be the ideal solution. Those ELCs on D are what we could afford given our cap situation. Other solutions will be more disruptive and have far greater implications for our roster. How far we go next year could heavily depend on that.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Obviously a team like the Leafs has their own in-house analytics so it's tough to make absolute declarations, but I've always thought it makes sense to focus on forwards. The studies I've seen shown they typically impact the game more than defensemen and I think they're more predictable year over year. So I'm not against the strategy of putting a disproportionate amount of resources into the forward group. I compare it to baseball, where a lot of analytics teams (specifically the Cubs and Astros rebuilds) realized the most effective and predictable way to contend was to get as many good young hitters as possible.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The contract was structured to give the Leafs flexibility.

Dubas’ words and actions identify Nylander as one of his core players, so I wouldn’t bet on him being traded. But if push ever comes to shove the contract is definitely attractive to potential suitors

Exactly. No GM can guarantee that they won't trade a player ever. His contract, IMO, is very desirable to another team after his bonus is paid next year. Who wouldn't want Nylander for $700K next year (after his bonus is paid) and then $6M / year for the next 4 years. Yeah, he's struggled this year but every GM in the league knows that Nylander is a very skilled, 60+ point player with potential for more. Nobody would base value of this partial season where he held out.

Now, if a fan/GM doesn't want to give as much value because of the holdout or they think he's a prima donna, then that's their prerogative, but on ice, they know what he's capable of.

I'd take him on the Canes any day, but I don't think the Leafs will be moving him any time soon.

Reactions: Menzinger

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I say Zaitsev on that top pair with Reilly, he has to be an upgrade over hainsey. and then rosen-lili thrid pair
He's fine on the 2nd pair. 1st pair is above his level, though in a pinch he's not an awful option. Somebody suggested 3rd pair (kind of silly) but it would mean the Leafs have one helluva strong D group which i can't see them being able to afford.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Avoiding what? I have no idea what Hans is.

If you are referring to the Habs, they are 8 points up on the teams that are missing the playoff mark. That is near insurmountable for teams to catch the Habs.

Did i mention the Habs are 1 pt behind the Leafs?

You have some real hot takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad