Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander gets paid $9-million (8.3 in signing bonus -assuming paid by Leafs before trade if moved) next year and $6-million (3.5 in signing bonus) each year after that.

Actually his annual payout for five years...after his bonuses is paid this summer is 4.94m per year for five years. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: TML1990

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Then show me other numbers... I was using objective information to support my claim, and not just subjectivity. Ultimately, point production is some of the more important stats one can provide...
Is +/- a great indicator of what a player does in the ice? Is he where he should be as far as points are concerned? Of course not. But for anyone to claim that he has been playing bad based off points is just wrong. Or that his contract is an anchor because he hasn’t been getting points, again, is wrong. He has been getting great opportunities but has been a bit snake bitten and unlucky. His points will be there. A lot of great players go through slumps. The only reason people are all over him is because of the timing of him re-signing his contract. And the people that are comparing his contract to lucic’s contract is just laughable.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is +/- a great indicator of what a player does in the ice? Is he where he should be as far as points are concerned? Of course not. But for anyone to claim that he has been playing bad based off points is just wrong. Or that his contract is an anchor because he hasn’t been getting points, again, is wrong. He has been getting great opportunities but has been a bit snake bitten and unlucky. His points will be there. A lot of great players go through slumps. The only reason people are all over him is because of the timing of him re-signing his contract. And the people that are comparing his contract to lucic’s contract is just laughable.
Reason people are on him is because he is now a 30pt 7m player. That is close to lucic level

And no, player gets into slump but they don't get a season long slump

Who cares if he looks good producing nothing. Those guys make 2M like Sam bennett

Reactions: hullsy47

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Reason people are on him is because he is now a 30pt 7m player. That is close to lucic level

And no, player gets into slump but they don't get a season long slump

Who cares if he looks good producing nothing. Those guys make 2M like Sam bennett
well first off. It hasnt been a year long slump. It’s been 39 games.

2. If you really think he is on Lucic’s level than I don’t know what to say to you. Sounds like you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

3. He’llbe Fine.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
While I think that Nylander being our best forward over the past few games is a stretch, I also believe it's hyperbole to say his contract is ranked amongst the likes of Lucic. I remember similar concerns from posters following Trouba sitting part of the season and Nylander sat for far longer and has unsurprisingly taken even longer to adjust.

He is looking better than he did though. He's been playing third line center(due to Kadri's absence) and has made dramatic improvements working on his defensive accruement that should help him adjust when he's put back in the top6 . His possession numbers are improving and he's starting to fire the puck at the net more. I stated in the post game thread for the Vancouver/Toronto game that his biggest weakness appears to be confidence in his line-mates and I'm sticking to that philosophy. Over the previous stretch of games he's been hesitant to complete passes to Marleau and Brown. I'm not sure if this is just him being selfish, the fact that he's wanting to desperately pull himself out of his slump, or if he just feels that neither of them are capable of completing plays. He never seemed to have that problem with Matthews and he actually has decent playmaking abilities in his repertoire. It's been a little frustrating watching him refuse to pass to a wide open Marleau and instead fire the puck into the opposing goalies chest from a bad angle, or attempt to force his way through two defenders using brute force.

As for his value, I'm getting tired of opposing fans stating that he's worthless and equally tired with my fellow Leafs fans saying that he's the been best forward on the team over the past few games(Marner say hi). He's been disappointing this season but he's clearly on the upswing and won't be dealt for your trash or cap dumps. It's not in our best interest to pull the plug on a player thats spent most of the season training with junior players and most of his time in the NHL playing with bottom 6 wingers in an unfamiliar position. Hopefully we'll see him play with Matthews when Kadri returns. It's also worth noting that as much as a lot of fans seem to hate Gardiner, his absence has had a huge impact on our team as well. While Gardiner's pinches are sometimes questionable, he certainly helps generate offense from the back end and we don't even have Dermott(injured) to try to pick up the slack.

Reactions: jetsforever

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
well first off. It hasnt been a year long slump. It’s been 39 games.

2. If you really think he is on Lucic’s level than I don’t know what to say to you. Sounds like you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

3. He’llbe Fine.
Except Nylanders slump has actually last for three seasons now..

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
While I think that Nylander being our best forward over the past few games is a stretch, I also believe it's hyperbole to say his contract is ranked amongst the likes of Lucic. I remember similar concerns from posters following Trouba sitting part of the season and Nylander sat for far longer and has unsurprisingly taken even longer to adjust.

He is looking better than he did though. He's been playing third line center(due to Kadri's absence) and has made dramatic improvements working on his defensive accruement that should help him adjust when he's put back in the top6 . His possession numbers are improving and he's starting to fire the puck at the net more. I stated in the post game thread for the Vancouver/Toronto game that his biggest weakness appears to be confidence in his line-mates and I'm sticking to that philosophy. Over the previous stretch of games he's been hesitant to complete passes to Marleau and Brown. I'm not sure if this is just him being selfish, the fact that he's wanting to desperately pull himself out of his slump, or if he just feels that neither of them are capable of completing plays. He never seemed to have that problem with Matthews and he actually has decent playmaking abilities in his repertoire. It's been a little frustrating watching him refuse to pass to a wide open Marleau and instead fire the puck into the opposing goalies chest from a bad angle, or attempt to force his way through two defenders using brute force.

As for his value, I'm getting tired of opposing fans stating that he's worthless and equally tired with my fellow Leafs fans saying that he's the been best forward on the team over the past few games(Marner say hi). He's been disappointing this season but he's clearly on the upswing and won't be dealt for your trash or cap dumps. It's not in our best interest to pull the plug on a player thats spent most of the season training with junior players and most of his time in the NHL playing with bottom 6 wingers in an unfamiliar position. Hopefully we'll see him play with Matthews when Kadri returns. It's also worth noting that as much as a lot of fans seem to hate Gardiner, his absence has had a huge impact on our team as well. While Gardiner's pinches are sometimes questionable, he certainly helps generate offense from the back end and we don't even have Dermott(injured) to try to pick up the slack.

You have some good point but if nylander needs matthews caliber player to be effective then itself is a big problem. Not too many team have a Matthews to play with him

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Except Nylanders slump has actually last for three seasons now..
Care to elaborate? 3 seasons? You sure you aren’t talking about Alex nylander. Cause William Nylander has had back to back 60 point seasons. Last year he was 17th in points for a right winger.

Reactions: TML1990

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You have some good point but if nylander needs matthews caliber player to be effective then itself is a big problem. Not too many team have a Matthews to play with him

he doesnt need a matthews calibre player. he needs top 6 ice time and to get more than the last 30 seconds of a PP.
kid was the leafs best player for likea 2 week stretch lately centring the 3rd line

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
plus/minus is the most useless stat there is to evaluate a player.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Salary cap to leafs - you are screwed

He’s gone.

If only the NHL allowed trading non-star players away to clear up cap space. Oh wait....they do.

Leafs are more than fine with regards to the cap. Losing a non-core player or two in order to keep the core together is not the disaster non-Leafs fans are desperately hoping it will be. This core group of stars (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly) is not going anywhere for a while.

Reactions: Menzinger

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If only the NHL allowed trading non-star players away to clear up cap space. Oh wait....they do.

Leafs are more than fine with regards to the cap. Losing a non-core player or two in order to keep the core together is not the disaster non-Leafs fans are desperately hoping it will be. This core group of stars (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly) is not going anywhere for a while.

Only if those non-star players don't have NMC's.....oh wait they do.

:laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Nylander becomes a spectacular financial bargain on July 2, at which point 45% of his total compensation for his 6 year deal will be paid up. Less than $5M USD in real cash terms carrying a cap hit of almost $7M - by God that's Eugene Melnyk's music!!

Reactions: DRW204 and Pay Carl

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Nylander becomes a spectacular financial bargain on July 2, at which point 45% of his total compensation for his 6 year deal will be paid up. Less than $5M USD in real cash terms carrying a cap hit of almost $7M - by God that's Eugene Melnyk's music!!

Doesn't matter because he's already becoming untouchable in the latter stages of this season.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Wonder if he is giving Matthews 3M per year for increasing his value by at least that. Carried by Matthews both years to 60 points. Now look at him without Matthews. Pulled wool over a bad GM's eyes, not only did he get overpaid, he set the market to overpay Matthews and Marner.

Dubas is Chia level bad so far. As a fan this is very sad. Could have traded him for D help before the signing, now we have another no show softy in the playoff's instead of someone who can help against the Bruins.

Sad!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad