Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
First I’ll start my saying, “yes I am in the minority”, but, I’m of the opinion that Nylander may be the odd one out this summer (after he is paid his bonus on July 2nd).

With that being said, what teams could be interested and what would their offer be?

Enjoy

Reactions: Ori

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Okay leaf fans, would you rather just Nylander (6.96) or Kadri + Brown (6.6)? I think Dubas trades Kadri + Brown (hopefully Zaitsev+Brown) before he comes close to thinking about trading Willy.

He's our 5th or 6th best player on an elite offensive team and he carries his own line better than Kadri and Brown do together...

I get he has really really really high value and at 6.96 his contract will jut keep getting better but he can be a 1/2C on most teams and definitely a 1RW on almost all of them. Appreciate willy and what he brings because puck possession to him is like a professional soccer player playing keep away from a 6 year old.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm still not sure how much positive value he has with that cap hit, especially with other teams being aware of how cap strapped they are.

Even if we give him a free pass for his first month to allow him to get back up to game speed, he'd still only have 4g 13p in 24gp.

Heck, if we gave him a pass for his first 2 months of play - he'd still only have 3g 7p in 13gp.

I think he's been playing better than some of those numbers suggest, but he's still not as dynamic as he was in his first 2 years.

I'd say he's worth a middle pairing defenseman or a 1st round pick. Unless you traded him for a similarly overpaid player, in which case you could probably get a top pairing D (Like an Ekblad).

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
First I’ll start my saying, “yes I am in the minority”, but, I’m of the opinion that Nylander may be the odd one out this summer (after he is paid his bonus on July 2nd).

With that being said, what teams could be interested and what would their offer be?

Enjoy
There was a lot of speculating (before the JT signing) about having Nylander try playing center to see how it goes. I would revisit that experiment before making any rash decisions. Then he could have a bit more utility and open the door to a Kadri trade. Kadri is a good player on a great contract who a lot of cap teams would be after

Of course the final 17 games of the regular season probably isn’t the best time to experiment. Now if he had been allowed to give playing center a shot earlier in the season instead of sitting out until December...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He needs to punch up his numbers by the end of the year before he will get anything significant back in trade. His first two years looked very good, but so far this year he has underwhelmed. The excuse that his hold out has Pejorative Slured his development will get little sympathy from GM's.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Okay leaf fans, would you rather just Nylander (6.96) or Kadri + Brown (6.6)? I think Dubas trades Kadri + Brown (hopefully Zaitsev+Brown) before he comes close to thinking about trading Willy.

He's our 5th or 6th best player on an elite offensive team and he carries his own line better than Kadri and Brown do together...

I get he has really really really high value and at 6.96 his contract will jut keep getting better but he can be a 1/2C on most teams and definitely a 1RW on almost all of them. Appreciate willy and what he brings because puck possession to him is like a professional soccer player playing keep away from a 6 year old.
My thought process is that Nylander could bring in the best haul, as suppose to Kadri and Brown.
We need Kadri (low cap hit and style of play).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm still not sure how much positive value he has with that cap hit, especially with other teams being aware of how cap strapped they are.

Even if we give him a free pass for his first month to allow him to get back up to game speed, he'd still only have 4g 13p in 24gp.

Heck, if we gave him a pass for his first 2 months of play - he'd still only have 3g 7p in 13gp.

I think he's been playing better than some of those numbers suggest, but he's still not as dynamic as he was in his first 2 years.

I'd say he's worth a middle pairing defenseman or a 1st round pick. Unless you traded him for a similarly overpaid player, in which case you could probably get a top pairing D (Like an Ekblad).

I’d think Fowler would also be a good comparable if a very good defender who may just be a bit overpaid, but nonetheless is a 2,3.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
My thought process is that Nylander could bring in the best haul, as suppose to Kadri and Brown.
We need Kadri (low cap hit and style of play).
I'd rather rid ourselves of Brown's contract and trade Kadri's for a D man and keep Nylander. Their two contracts together equal his but Nylander is in another level in terms of quality of player. He's in the 2nd or 1st tier of forwards where Kadri is closer to the 3rd and Brown is in the 4th or probably even 5th tier.
I'd rather keep the better player and gain other assets as well. Also by his possession stats he's technically our best defensive forward 5v5 (even though it's probably Hyman or Tavares).
Nylander's contract will be a non-problem after Marleau's contract is over with. I don't see any reason to get rid of him sorry to disagree.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
since the All star break if you picked who was the best Leaf in each game the player with most would be Nylander. He's looked really good.

Dubas will find other ways to clear house. Kadri could be the biggest loss.

Reactions: Leafidelity

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I'd rather rid ourselves of Brown's contract and trade Kadri's for a D man and keep Nylander. Their two contracts together equal his but Nylander is in another level in terms of quality of player. He's in the 2nd or 1st tier of forwards where Kadri is closer to the 3rd and Brown is in the 4th or probably even 5th tier.
I'd rather keep the better player and gain other assets as well. Also by his possession stats he's technically our best defensive forward 5v5 (even though it's probably Hyman or Tavares).
Nylander's contract will be a non-problem after Marleau's contract is over with. I don't see any reason to get rid of him sorry to disagree.
It’s all good. We all have and are entitled to our own opinions.
I’d hate to lose the grit and experience that Kadri brings.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
since the All star break if you picked who was the best Leaf in each game the player with most would be Nylander. He's looked really good.

Yet his production is very disappointing. If the Leafs retain salary he might be worth trading for.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Assuming Nylander continues to excel as a center, Kadri is absolutely being traded for a defenseman in the summer.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Yet his production is very disappointing. If the Leafs retain salary he might be worth trading for.
Your statement is completely asinine. His previous years and his end of year production would be enough to convince GM's that he's a valuable asset. Why would a slow start to his late season start be a deterrent? Because he had a poor first couple months while playing catchup to the rest of the league? You really need to give your head a shake if you think the leafs would need or even be willing to retain salary just to get rid of him

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Dubas to Nylander: "As long as I'm here, you won't be traded"

This. This. This. People keep dismissing that promise like it's meaningless and I don't understand why. I know there's obviously no guarantees in this business, but if Dubas did in fact say this then the chances of him turning around and trading him less than a year after making that promise are almost non-existent IMO. That's not the reputation Dubas (or any GM) wants to start his tenure with.

Clearly Nylander had an extremely slow start out of the gate, but he's back to normal now AND proving he can play the C position so as much of people want to think his value has plummeted, it's far from the case. Before he signed, most people thought he'd be a 6-7M/year player which is exactly what he signed for. The fact that it's 6.9M instead of 6.5M is irrelevant in the big scheme of things. As long as he continues to play at the level he's been playing at the last month (and 2 seasons before that), he's a very valuable asset.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Management didn't have money to sign him. Different world now there's a cap, promises like that to your best players mean something. Especially from a rookie GM.

Still at the end of the day anyone can be traded doesn't matter the time. If a deal blows Dubas away what's he going to day no I promised Nylander I wouldn't trade him. Come on now. Nylander can't be that dumb.. can he?

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
I'd rather keep him, but if we are trading him it's for a very good young top 2 RHD.
1 for 1. Nothing else.

We can alleviate cap by dumping zaitsev, marleau, brown, hainsey, gardiner, etc.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

He has picked it up the past 15 but needs to continue to grow. He may very well be the odd man out this summmer but I likely see Kadri, Brown and Zaitsev being targets to be moved. Unfortunate about Kadri because we need a players like him.

Ideally they move Marleau to a team like Sens to be bought out after July 1 resign him. Hopefully that and moving Brown will give us the Cap flexibility we need.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad