Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Who is the 65 pt player? Not Nylander...

Just to play devil's advocate, but there are only so many points to go around. Nylander is on pace for what, about 40 pts this year? Yes, missing training camp and a few months. I think there's a good chance his point totals stay in the 50-60 range for his career. For 7 mill that's an overpayment, albeit not as much as people around here are suggesting.
Why do you think Nylander will start regressing at the age of 22?

He has never scored less than 61 points in a full season and you expect him to not out produce his rookie season?

Where is the logic, guessing you haven't actually watched him play this year like most people on the main boards commenting on him. Just head over to hockeydb and formulate opinions from there.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Just to play devil's advocate, but there are only so many points to go around. Nylander is on pace for what, about 40 pts this year? Yes, missing training camp and a few months. I think there's a good chance his point totals stay in the 50-60 range for his career. For 7 mill that's an overpayment, albeit not as much as people around here are suggesting.
So you dont think that a guy who has had 61pts in his only two complete seasons cant consistently hit 65pts?
I'd love to hear some of your other pro takes :laugh:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Who is the 50 to 60 point player?

Not nylander. Hes never had less than 60 in a full season so 60 to 70 is more accurate than 50 to 60. Because, you know, he has been in that range.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So you dont think that a guy who has had 61pts in his only two complete seasons cant consistently hit 65pts?
I'd love to hear some of your other pro takes :laugh:
It can happen though. RNH best PPG season was as a rookie.

But personally, if he is playing with Matthews, he will be a 70+ guy and his contract will be fine.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Nylander was 20 goal scorer when playing with Matthews. Without Matthews he's on pace for less than 10 goals.

For floater who don't do anything else on ice than score points this is very bad. And to pay this bum 7 mil per year it's just pathetic.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Hahahaha, if we're lucky, maybe you guys will trade us Lucic for him.
He makes it so obvious that he doesn’t even watch hockey.

I mean, I wouldn’t waste my time on the Oilers either.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nylander was 20 goal scorer when playing with Matthews. Without Matthews he's on pace for less than 10 goals.

For floater who don't do anything else on ice than score points this is very bad. And to pay this bum 7 mil per year it's just pathetic.
What's pathetic is your obsession with Nylander.
Yikes.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Two wrongs don't make a right.

There's only one wrong in a Nylander/Lucic swap. We'll take the production guy :lol:

Ah yes I also remember when Nylander was considered >>>>>>>>>> Draisaitl too. :laugh:

I also remember when Nylander was compared to Gagner :lol: but I'm done feeding.

Ah yes, 61 his first two seasons. Not a 65 pt player yet.

In Nylanders first 20 games, he put up 5 points.

In his last 23, he's put up 18. On pace for ~64 points if he had maintained that stat in the first 20. Safe to say he's caught back up to speed with the Leafs.

A 22 year old in his 3rd pro season at a 60 pt pace that takes 8% of the salary cap is fine with me. Guys like Patrick Kane (averaging ~ 9 pts more at the same age) took up 10% of the team's salary cap. I like to say we're on the same pace.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What do Leafs fans think of him being the centreman down low in the defensive zone in a playoff third period? I haven't seen enough of him at centre in the defensive zone.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
There's only one wrong in a Nylander/Lucic swap. We'll take the production guy :lol:

I also remember when Nylander was compared to Gagner :lol: but I'm done feeding.

Ah yes, 61 his first two seasons. Not a 65 pt player yet.

In Nylanders first 20 games, he put up 5 points.

In his last 23, he's put up 18. On pace for ~64 points if he had maintained that stat in the first 20. Safe to say he's caught back up to speed with the Leafs.

A 22 year old in his 3rd pro season at a 60 pt pace that takes 8% of the salary cap is fine with me. Guys like Patrick Kane (averaging ~ 9 pts more at the same age) took up 10% of the team's salary cap. I like to say we're on the same pace.

Sorry but Kane and Nylander comparisons just aren't correct. It's just as bad as their lowball ones. You are making fun of people for their terrible comparisons and then comparing Nylander to Kane?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

A full camp and a full season might be the difference between consistent production and anomalous production. Might be...

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Sorry but Kane and Nylander comparisons just aren't correct. It's just as bad as their lowball ones. You are making fun of people for their terrible comparisons and then comparing Nylander to Kane?

I compared their point production to their aav and % on the team salary cap. Thought that was clear.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Some comments here about him playing C. I just haven't seen it enough (or at all) so I was wondering if a Leafs fan could shed some light.

He was alright, straddled with just abysmal linemates so the points weren't there and it took him a few games to get the hang of it but then he started controlling play the way you'd hope, but there's no doubt that what he does best is ride shotgun with Matthews. Leaf fans soured on Nylander for having the gal to not take a discount from the league's richest team but the truth is he is really ****ing good and is starting to look like it again, he and Matthews are great together, props on Babcock to trying Nylander with him for like 2 games then waiting months even as it became more and more obvious he should put them back together, unfortunately it took injuries to force his hand.

Its hard to give a fair evaluation of what he could be as a center given if he were elsewhere he wouldn't be playing 3C, and he would have NHL players as his linemates, but he definitely has the capabilities to be a line driver when called upon, so with that in mind he think he reasonably could end up a very good center, I doubt he will because he won't here and I don't think the Leafs are trading him. And of course he's not great defensively but this is mostly due to trying to do too much and turning the puck over rather than this tired dumb narrative that he's a "lazy floater."

I certainly wouldn't talk about him as a C for trade discussions tho, that's disingenuous, but the potential is there.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He was alright, straddled with just abysmal linemates so the points weren't there and it took him a few games to get the hang of it but then he started controlling play the way you'd hope, but there's no doubt that what he does best is ride shotgun with Matthews. Leaf fans soured on Nylander for having the gal to not take a discount from the league's richest team but the truth is he is really ****ing good and is starting to look like it again, he and Matthews are great together, props on Babcock to trying Nylander with him for like 2 games then waiting months even as it became more and more obvious he should put them back together, unfortunately it took injuries to force his hand.

Its hard to give a fair evaluation of what he could be as a center given if he were elsewhere he wouldn't be playing 3C, and he would have NHL players as his linemates, but he definitely has the capabilities to be a line driver when called upon, so with that in mind he think he reasonably could end up a very good center, I doubt he will because he won't here and I don't think the Leafs are trading him. And of course he's not great defensively but this is mostly due to trying to do too much and turning the puck over rather than this tired dumb narrative that he's a "lazy floater."

I certainly wouldn't talk about him as a C for trade discussions tho.

Thanks! Sounds like a RWer through and through and he wouldn't fare that well in a centre roll in the playoffs anytime soon. Wasn't thinking trade but more that any of the criticism he gets from Leafs fans about his play would be magnified in a centre roll at this point.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Thanks! Sounds like a RWer through and through and he wouldn't fare that well in a centre roll in the playoffs anytime soon. Wasn't thinking trade but more that any of the criticism he gets from Leafs fans about his play would be magnified in a centre roll at this point.

Oh ya for sure, I would not be very confident with him playing center in the playoffs at least not this year, I mean we're going to be playing you guys, so I'm not confident about a goddamn thing. Kadri is much more well suited for a 3C roll anyway, which would simultaneously play to Nylander's weaknesses(3C ideally being a defensive roll) and doesn't put him in an opportunity to let his skill level shine(a playmaker playing with stiffs who can't finish or do much of anything really).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad