William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If believee can bring them up as emergency call ups without exposing them to waivers if someone on the Leafs gets injured, which is bound to happen over the course of the season
There on two way ELC's, next year they have to be signed to a deal where if they are sent down at any point they need to clear waivers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There on two way ELC's, next year they have to be signed to a deal where if they are sent down at any point they need to clear waivers.

that's not how waivers work. Got nothing to do with 1 or 2 way contract. It has to do with your age when you signed you ELC, how many years have passed since then, and how manhy NHL game you've played. Here's a link(from a Panthers fan site) explaining it

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

for instance, Clune has a 2 way deal but he had to be put through waivers to go back to the Marlies.

Leivo, and Percy's waiver exemption will be up because 5 years will have passed(for Percy who signed at 18) and 4 years have passed(for Leivo who signed at 19) since they initially signed their ELC's. And they both didn't reach the NHL games played threshold first. This coincides with their contract ending because there were 2 sliding years(for Percy) and 1 sliding year(for Leivo) where they went back to the CHL and then a 3 years ELC, but it doesn't always end when your ELC ends.

Last edited:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
huh? what are you talking about? Nobody requires waivers to be called up, no need for an emergency call up, just call them up normally.

also they're waiver exempt right now so it doesn't matter for this year anyway.

They're not going to yo-yo the prospects so if they do get called up it's for good, not so they can send them back down a few days later like you would do with an emergency callup

Next year, when they're not waiver exempt, using emergency call ups on them prevents them from being exposed to waivers on the way back down, if management decides they're not quite ready. So, no real rush to try them out this year.

In addition to the above comment about two way deals, players called up for emergency recalls are not exposed to waivers on the way back down.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Next year, when they're not waiver exempt, using emergency call ups on them prevents them from being exposed to waivers on the way back down, if management decides they're not quite ready. So, no real rush to try them out this year.

this literally won't come into play at all. If they don't make the team next year and are exposed to waivers I'm 99% certain they would be claimed their first time down, they would never get a chance to be an emergency recall.

The Leafs will need to find a spot for them or trade them, they`re too good to go unclaimed. That being said I don't think they'll have trouble finding a spot, they're both good enough to be here right now.

zeke's point was we're gonna want to know what we have before having to expose them to waivers the first time, being able to emergency recall them if they clear the first doesn't help in that because they're unlikely to clear the first time. Like Tampa with Panik or Vancouver with Corrado, it's great they could have emergency recalled Panik or Corrado, but when they tried to send them down they were claimed so it didn't matter at all.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i'd rather have percy and leivo playing this year than marincin and grabner/boyes.

mikebel111*

I know he should stay down and I agree but come on, it has too be tough for managment to not call him up lol

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I know he should stay down and I agree but come on, it has too be tough for managment to not call him up lol

Not really. They are thinking long term and I don't think they'll waver because he is leading AHL 14 games in.

Unlike Nonis & Co., I have full faith in this management to make the right call.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Not really. They are thinking long term and I don't think they'll waver because he is leading AHL 14 games in.

Unlike Nonis & Co., I have full faith in this management to make the right call.

19 year old kid scoring at a >100 point pace in the AHL.

Its not even good competition for him tbh...he could probably develop better on the Leafs

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Whatever happens will happen. If it's better to keep on playing in the AHL and improving there then that's fine. If they feel like he's done enough to be ready to make that jump then that's great.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see him continuing to be a top scoring AHL guy for most if not the rest of the year.

No rush. Although with how the team is playing under Babcock I'm less worried about potential bad influences on his development than I might have been a few months ago.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
No use for him on the leafs this season, the whole point: let him grow as a player, win trophies, a Calder cup; and for sure he'll beam with confidence. Patience, my friends. Patience.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
The kid is making an absolute fortune playing in the AHL isn't he? Something like 925k USD? Which is like 1.25M or so Canadian.

He is playing about three miles away from the ACC, everyone knows who he is, he is a rockstar in Toronto already, and he is getting used to dominating...

Being as good as he is, it allows him to train and work on things that he might not be able to do in the NHL.

If the Leafs somehow get into playoff contention, sure, MLSE might not be able to help themselves and call him up, but till then, the kid is living a lavish lifestyle in the A.

Its a good situation and I bet the kid, at that salary, ain't minding too much.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Points are nice, but if they were all that mattered he'd be a Leaf this year. He's being kept down in the AHL to work on his defensive game, and tonight was a bad showing for that.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Leafs are in a playoff push (I know, unlikely) i'll be very interested to see if they deviate from their plan and bring up Nylander for some extra offense.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The kid is making an absolute fortune playing in the AHL isn't he? Something like 925k USD? Which is like 1.25M or so Canadian.

He is playing about three miles away from the ACC, everyone knows who he is, he is a rockstar in Toronto already, and he is getting used to dominating...

Being as good as he is, it allows him to train and work on things that he might not be able to do in the NHL.

If the Leafs somehow get into playoff contention, sure, MLSE might not be able to help themselves and call him up, but till then, the kid is living a lavish lifestyle in the A.

Its a good situation and I bet the kid, at that salary, ain't minding too much.

His contract is sliding so I can't find any info on it anywhere but it's an ELC so wouldn't it be a 2 way contract and he'd be earning less in the AHL, like 60k or something?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No use for him on the leafs this season, the whole point of to let him grow as a player, win trophies, a Calder cup, and for sure he'll beam with confidence. Patience, my friends. Patience.
While that sounds nice...is the last few things really about him growing as a player? He doesn't need a Calder Cup for confidence. I don't think he's that mentally weak a player.

Unless you want to argue that players stop growing and developing when they hit the NHL which....isn't likely to be true.

Patience is fine, but that word can also be a bit of a safety button. Whether to have him go up or down is a tough decision, and one that has to be reasoned through. Not just thrown until a tarp with the word "patience" on it and just ignored.

Having a great year on the Marlies is fine and should be a valid path. If they stick on that it's not a bad move. What I don't think is right is discounting the other option without any consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland