William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou Lam speaks out

The biggest question is who will make up the 23-man roster by the time training camp ends. The Leafs, of course, will have the likes of prospects Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen in camp fighting for spots.

The team has promised a patient approach with their youngsters and it didn’t sound as if Lamoriello was going to vary from that plan.

“You are always going to play the best players,†said Lamoriello. “But I’ve always said a young player really tells you when he’s ready. You don’t really tell him. He has to have something special.

If not, you’re doing an injustice, not only to him but to the organization. Only time will tell. You never say never to anything. In my opinion, it’s very difficult for a young player today, as an 18-year-old, to make the team".

Full Story: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Sounds good to me - this says that the boys on PTO's don't necessarily have a better chance than our prospects

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
What I saw in that 3 game tourney was a Nylander ready for the next step. He was dramatically out witting and out playing the other players on the ice.

Watching him I felt he was being held back by poor teammates. I am not sure that would be the case on the Marlies this year with veteran pros like Leivo, Carrick and Brown etc. playing beside him. But with the younger guys at this tournament you could tell Nylander was being held back.

FYI: I thought the same of Marner though to a lesser degree. Marner was making incredible pass attempts that were being bobbled by teammates and I think a pro like JVR would have a field day with Marner.

Would like to see how Nylander does at camp playing with some big names like JVR, Lupul, Kadri.
But playing with pros is only going to make Nylander better by taking some load off.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
What I saw in that 3 game tourney was a Nylander ready for the next step. He was dramatically out witting and out playing the other players on the ice.

Watching him I felt he was being held back by poor teammates. I am not sure that would be the case on the Marlies this year with veteran pros like Leivo, Carrick and Brown etc. playing beside him. But with the younger guys at this tournament you could tell Nylander was being held back.

FYI: I thought the same of Marner though to a lesser degree. Marner was making incredible pass attempts that were being bobbled by teammates and I think a pro like JVR would have a field day with Marner.

Would like to see how Nylander does at camp playing with some big names like JVR, Lupul, Kadri.
But playing with pros is only going to make Nylander better by taking some load off.

Leivo, Carrick and Brown are 3rd line guys in the NHL at best. Nylander is a near-certain 1st liner, and so far for his age, is already one of Sweden's great prospects of all time. This is like putting a 6.2L LT4 supercharged Corvette V8 in a 1992 Pontiac Sunfire. It doesn't fit, and even if you were somehow able to jam it in there, it just wouldn't work that well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leivo, Carrick and Brown are 3rd line guys in the NHL at best. Nylander is a near-certain 1st liner, and so far for his age, is already one of Sweden's great prospects of all time. This is like putting a 6.2L LT4 supercharged Corvette V8 in a 1992 Pontiac Sunfire. It doesn't fit, and even if you were somehow able to jam it in there, it just wouldn't work that well.

Carrick i'd describe as a 4th line guy.

Leivo is a 3rd, maybe 2nd line guy. He has some talent.

Brown - Likely 2nd line...he produces.

They might also bust at the NHL level - just think some of the projections are selling 2/3 of them short.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
cant gauge guys on a rookie tourny. Sure Nylander is our most developed and skilled rookie atm. Training camp and preseason will give an accurate projection as to if he is ready for the big club. He has played in the top swede league for a couple years already and it shows

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully they leave room for him on Legends Row. Right in front of Mike Babcock

guitarist37

Dec 8, 2010
I hope Nylander plays for the married this year just so I can afford to go watch him play hehe

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Nylander had some chemistry with Kadri in preseason last year. Could be a potential pairing to see if they click. 2 extremely talents forwards.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Previous thread a lot of people said he needs to be good defensively and not a liability but there is no such thing on the Leafs.

No matter how good the player is...every single Leaf is going to be terrible defensively because of the overall unit. We won't be Buffalo/Oilers 14/15 level bad but we will be bad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou Lam speaks out

Lamoriello speaking the truth. I don't know where people got the that Leafs were going to arbitrarily send players ready for the NHL, to the AHL to save ELC years on contracts.

Glad Lou is here to set this organization on the right path of way of thinking.

Merit will decide who makes the Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou's comments also suggest it's going to be tough for rookie prospects to crack the roster.

Regardless, team execs never completely reveal with true transparency what goes into their decision making processes. Saying one thing and doing another isn't exactly unheard of in the NHL community.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Carrick i'd describe as a 4th line guy.

Leivo is a 3rd, maybe 2nd line guy. He has some talent.

Brown - Likely 2nd line...he produces.

They might also bust at the NHL level - just think some of the projections are selling 2/3 of them short.

I agree that Brown has the highest ceiling of the group. He looked better than Ryan Strome, Kyle Wellwood, Chris Kelly, Max Domi or Mark Scheifele at the same age in their same-aged last OHL year for Brown, and his AHL year was better than Lars Eller, Marcel Hossa, Brock Nelson, Mike Ribeiro, Jonathan Cheechoo, Devin Setoguchi, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall or Steve Bernier's at the same age.

I actually think Brown's pretty likely going to be a 'tweener -- 2nd and 3rd lines.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree that Brown has the highest ceiling of the group. He looked better than Ryan Strome, Kyle Wellwood, Chris Kelly, Max Domi or Mark Scheifele at the same age in their same-aged last OHL year for Brown, and his AHL year was better than Lars Eller, Marcel Hossa, Brock Nelson, Mike Ribeiro, Jonathan Cheechoo, Devin Setoguchi, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall or Steve Bernier's at the same age.

I actually think Brown's pretty likely going to be a 'tweener -- 2nd and 3rd lines.

I could see that as well. Depends how the coach utilizes his top 9 probably. I think Brown is a beauty, he and Nylander actually had good chemistry last season, and I think if they build on that further, we might have 2/3 of a 2nd line ready.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Previous thread a lot of people said he needs to be good defensively and not a liability but there is no such thing on the Leafs.

No matter how good the player is...every single Leaf is going to be terrible defensively because of the overall unit. We won't be Buffalo/Oilers 14/15 level bad but we will be bad.

I can understand, after having years of these "defensive coaches", they didn't work out.

Babcock appears to be another, just have to have faith, afterall he is getting paid huge bucks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Either Marner or Nylander could make the leafs. They don't have to play center. So many different combinations can work on any team. As long as they play a 200 foot game reliably they are skilled enough for top six or top 9.

Play them if they out play others. Simple as that for me at this point.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Either Marner or Nylander could make the leafs. They don't have to play center. So many different combinations can work on any team. As long as they play a 200 foot game reliably they are skilled enough for top six or top 9.

Play them if they out play others. Simple as that for me at this point.

IMO I don't even want Marner to me on the team in the 2015-16 season. He is an 18 y/o kid with tons of talent but he can use more seasoning and strength training.

In any normal circumstance I wouldn't even want to see Nylander until after the TD but his dominance that he has shown over the last year+ makes me want him on this team immediately if there is a spot at C for him.

In the future I wouldn't mid having Nylander and Kadri as our 1,2 centers respectively and having Marner as a winger but only time can decide what happens to Marner's positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad