William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Barring injury, I think Nylander gets called up to start next season as the #1 or #2 centre.

I don't know how many others are likely to make the jump -- maybe Marner if his only options are OHL/NHL. He doesn't seem to fit in either place, but the Leafs are a better choice than the Knights. If Marner comes up, it could help the Leafs find a #1 RW -- either Marner, or maybe Kadri: IF the Leafs re-sign Kadri, AND IF Marner and Nylander both play centre. (Am I wrong in thinking that Komarov is playing on his off-wing, and isn't really a first-line player anyway? If so, the Leafs are very thin at RW.)

Haven't seen enough of Kapanen to know where he's at, but I think he's good enough that he's a possible #1 or #2 RW -- if he's ready.

I could see Connor Brown making the jump as well, but not to a top line. I don't think his performance warrants that. I could see him as a #3 of #4 RW next year.

Same with Josh Leivo. He could possibly make it as a #3 or #4 LW. After JVR, it's a struggle to find a talented #2 LW among the Leaf pros under contract for next year and within their talent pool.

I think Leipsic is a long shot and would not likely be a #2 LW if he did make the Leafs.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kapanen was only held on to until the end of camp for cap reasons, he was never close to making the roster.

how does keeping someone towards the end of camp help with the cap? The only thing I can think of is to get as close to the cap as possible to max your LTIR relief but you don't need to keep someone there the entire time for that, that can be and often is a 1 day transaction, call up to get really close, LTIR someone, and then demoted the next day.

If Kapanen almost made the Pens roster last year, it wasn't because cap reasons. Nothing else has to do with the cap in the pre-season, there is no cap in the preseason, just when you get your opening day roster set it needs to be cap compliant.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Barring injury, I think Nylander gets called up to start next season as the #1 or #2 centre.

I don't know how many others are likely to make the jump -- maybe Marner if his only options are OHL/NHL. He doesn't seem to fit in either place, but the Leafs are a better choice than the Knights. If Marner comes up, it could help the Leafs find a #1 RW -- either Marner, or maybe Kadri: IF the Leafs re-sign Kadri, AND IF Marner and Nylander both play centre. (Am I wrong in thinking that Komarov is playing on his off-wing, and isn't really a first-line player anyway? If so, the Leafs are very thin at RW.)

Haven't seen enough of Kapanen to know where he's at, but I think he's good enough that he's a possible #1 or #2 RW -- if he's ready.

I could see Connor Brown making the jump as well, but not to a top line. I don't think his performance warrants that. I could see him as a #3 of #4 RW next year.

Same with Josh Leivo. He could possibly make it as a #3 or #4 LW. After JVR, it's a struggle to find a talented #2 LW among the Leaf pros under contract for next year and within their talent pool.

I think Leipsic is a long shot and would not likely be a #2 LW if he did make the Leafs.

he had, what, 61 points as a rookie last year? Lead the AHL in scoring. I wouldn't have him on the top line, but his performance absolutely warrants potentially playing on the 2nd line, especially with the lack of talent on the Leafs

Don't think Marner will be on the top line either. Don't see many players make the jump at that age and not be sheltered a little bit. Rielly is an absolutely stud right now but when he came up at that age didn't he start on the 3rd pairing?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
he had, what, 61 points as a rookie last year? Lead the AHL in scoring. I wouldn't have him on the top line, but his performance absolutely warrants potentially playing on the 2nd line, especially with the lack of talent on the Leafs

Don't think Marner will be on the top line either. Don't see many players make the jump at that age and not be sheltered a little bit. Rielly is an absolutely stud right now but when he came up at that age didn't he start on the 3rd pairing?

If Connor Brown develops into a #2 RW, that solves some issues for the Leafs. I know you meant to say he lead the Marlies, not the AHL, in scoring last season as a rookie pro. Good job, but how's he doing in that department lately?

Couldn't agree more with sheltering the young players, especially Marner. Too talented to play another year in the OHL, and at the same time doesn't seem big and strong enough yet for the NHL. Maybe another year of growth and a safe place on the Leafs will do the trick.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Connor Brown develops into a #2 RW, that solves some issues for the Leafs. I know you meant to say he lead the Marlies, not the AHL, in scoring last season as a rookie pro. Good job, but how's he doing in that department lately?

Couldn't agree more with sheltering the young players, especially Marner. Too talented to play another year in the OHL, and at the same time doesn't seem big and strong enough yet for the NHL. Maybe another year of growth and a safe place on the Leafs will do the trick.

lead the AHL in rookie scoring is what I meant ;)

He's hurt right now, but not sure how you can hold that against him. Got some games in and looked decent but you can't read much of anything from this year because the sample is too small. He was dynamite in the pre-season though and if this was a team playing for the cup he'd probably be here. Imo he was good enough in the pre-season that he earned a spot(like Nylander did) over probably half the roster.

I'd have no problem with Brown on the 3rd line next year, but the 4th line is an absolute no go long term(anymore than a game or 2) imo. 2 or 3 is fine in my mind, 3 or 4 is not.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Trade Kadri+ for Seth Jones
Trade Phaneuf to ANA for Ritchie+

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Ritchie - Nylander - Kapanen
Bracco - X - Brown
Komarov - Gauthier - X
-Johnson, Soshnikov, Timashov

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Dermott
Percy - Harrington
-Loov, Valiev, Granberg

giphy.gif

You seriously can't believe that could every happen. Is that plus Rielly/Nylander/Marner. Even the Ritchie trade is pushing it.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
lead the AHL in rookie scoring is what I meant ;)

He's hurt right now, but not sure how you can hold that against him. Got some games in and looked decent but you can't read much of anything from this year because the sample is too small. He was dynamite in the pre-season though and if this was a team playing for the cup he'd probably be here. Imo he was good enough in the pre-season that he earned a spot(like Nylander did) over probably half the roster.

I'd have no problem with Brown on the 3rd line next year, but the 4th line is an absolute no go long term(anymore than a game or 2) imo. 2 or 3 is fine in my mind, 3 or 4 is not.

Brown is going to have to fight for the "juicy" minutes. There will be an adjustment period with him coming back from injury plus there's always going to be movement within the lines... a guy like Soshnikov could move well up from the 4th line (and deservedly so) and that could bite into Brown's place in the lineup.

As for Nylander, who will he be able to immediately gel with at the NHL level? I honestly think Brown is the guy given that Willy loves to have the puck and Brown works well with and without the puck. Part of this year's goal could be determining who comes up alongside Nylander next year. Given Willy's skillset, he could play with freaking anyone: excellent shot, excellent passing game, good on-ice awareness, speed and transitioning ability... though his physical game is lacking. Put him alongside another guy like Panik and you could potentially have an AHL line transfer over to the NHL. It would be more realistic than what we see on this board with Nylander immediately being giving #1C duties.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
giphy.gif

You seriously can't believe that could every happen. Is that plus Rielly/Nylander/Marner. Even the Ritchie trade is pushing it.

You know...I used to say that...I really did..then we saw forsberg, seguin, and hamilton and so on...god knows what's what anymore. I dont think it's likely but you know.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You know...I used to say that...I really did..then we saw forsberg, seguin, and hamilton and so on...god knows what's what anymore. I dont think it's likely but you know.
but two of those guys were traded due to bos being stupid and not having good management. Seguin was a party boy allegedly and they were not going to put up with it, and made one of there biggest mistakes in franchise history, the dougie trade they had limited cap and offered dougie like 6 years 6 million or something, he did not want to sign in boston, ask b fans. They did not just trade him away, he wanted out. Finally forsberg while good/great now, was unproven at the time of the trade and the caps wanted the cup so they though erat would put them over the top and traded a 11th overall. Jones is pretty much untouchable according to preds fans unless they get a top 1st line center who is young. Kadri is a real good 2nd line center but he wont become a 1st line center imo. Jones will be signed long term as the preds have lots of cap thanks to josi, ellis, and ekholm amazing deals. And he does not have any issues so the preds wont be idiots and give him away like boston

Tyler Biggs*

I absolutely love Willy's shot tbh, and as good as it is his playmaking abilities are just as good.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
man imagine nylander develops into a faster kadri, with even better puck dribbling, and a better shot...thats what hes looking like...now thats a nhl player cus kadri is already pretty darn good

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
man imagine nylander develops into a faster kadri, with even better puck dribbling, and a better shot...thats what hes looking like...now thats a nhl player cus kadri is already pretty darn good

The player you described is Giroux. :naughty:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Brown is going to have to fight for the "juicy" minutes. There will be an adjustment period with him coming back from injury plus there's always going to be movement within the lines... a guy like Soshnikov could move well up from the 4th line (and deservedly so) and that could bite into Brown's place in the lineup.

As for Nylander, who will he be able to immediately gel with at the NHL level? I honestly think Brown is the guy given that Willy loves to have the puck and Brown works well with and without the puck. Part of this year's goal could be determining who comes up alongside Nylander next year. Given Willy's skillset, he could play with freaking anyone: excellent shot, excellent passing game, good on-ice awareness, speed and transitioning ability... though his physical game is lacking. Put him alongside another guy like Panik and you could potentially have an AHL line transfer over to the NHL. It would be more realistic than what we see on this board with Nylander immediately being giving #1C duties.

brown is a turbo in a 500. he never stops but he doesn't have high end speed. the benefit is that he will dig out pucks.

i think johnson, bracco or kapanen would be better linemates than brown, although if brown ends up being a 2rw, no complaints here. but i don't see him as a 2rw on a cup winning team.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect William Nylander gaining confidence with Marlies, wants to play in the NHL ‘as soon as possible’

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...-wants-to-play-in-the-nhl-as-soon-as-possible

TORONTO — You certainly can’t fault Maple Leafs prospect William Nylander for feeling a little confident these days.
Leafs score twice in third to earn win against Western Conference-leading Stars

Currently in his second season with the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, Nylander and his teammates are enjoying a 10-3-0 start to the season. The Swedish centre is leading the Marlies in both goals (seven) and points (14) in 12 games played.

When asked about what he can learn or accomplish this season in order to look back on his sophomore year as a success, Nylander could only think of the obvious endorsement.

“I don’t know,” he said with a laugh. “I just want to play in the NHL. That’s all I want to do.”

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect William Nylander gaining confidence with Marlies, wants to play in the NHL ‘as soon as possible’

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...-wants-to-play-in-the-nhl-as-soon-as-possible
Yeah, can't fault him for wanting to get in the NHL as soon as he can. Wants to keep pushing himself and play on the bigger stage.

Clearly he's putting a ton of work out there and is dedicated to improving. Props to him for taking advantage of all the tools they have and really watching his videos to find areas of improvement.

Piques

Nov 19, 2009
I'm curious what they are going to do next year with Nylander and Marner. As of now it looks like they are both going to be with the Leafs. That alone makes me excited for next year already.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm curious what they are going to do next year with Nylander and Marner. As of now it looks like they are both going to be with the Leafs. That alone makes me excited for next year already.
I'm not sure if it's the Babcock effect on Rielly, but boy is he shining under Babs. That said I would love to see the Babcock effect (babfx as a stat?) on those 2.
I am one of those people that think mitch needs strengthening, not weight, so as to avoid injury. Obviously there will be injuries and they are not unavoidable, but imo there are some injuries, or a propensity for injury dependent on strength. Ie. RNH's shoulder injury in his rookie year. Imo that wouldn't have happened if he were a bit stronger.
My preference is for Marner to play with the Leafs next year, but only if he is strong enough. A senseless injury could set his development back imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad