William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Leafs management gave this an awful lot of thought - they seem to value consistency above all else. I can't see him bouncing between leagues.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
lol at all u guys gushing over nylander. guy cant even carry larkins jockstrap. kadri 2.0

I dunno if this is a troll post or something but COMPLETELY different style of players.

Look at the HATERS.

and people hate him? I know I've been consistently saying he's best suited for the wing but it looks like he's making me eat crow atm.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
lol at all u guys gushing over nylander. guy cant even carry larkins jockstrap. kadri 2.0

Have you even watched Nylander play on the Marlies? Are you even a leafs fan?

And what does Larkin and Kadri have anything to do with Nylander?

What part of a very skilled 19 year old leading the AHL in scoring is not worth "gushing" about?

Seems like you're just coming in here trolling and not giving any reasons.

The fact that you called him Kadri 2.0 pretty much illustrates that you know nothing about the player. Besides hitting, Nylander does EVERYTHING ELSE better than Kadri when he played on the Marlies, which I've seen both play numerous on the Marlies. Not to mention, Kadri was 21 when he came to the AHL. Kadri is further in development, but next year as he continues to get stronger, Nylander will surpass.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nylander could be called up to the NHL during the World Juniors.

The Swedish Hockey Federation and the NHL have a new agreement that any eligible player outside of the NHL would be sent to play for Sweden.

If Nylander continues this pace, and the management team doesn't believe the World Juniors will benefit Nylander, they very well may call him up for a couple games or so, and some practice time with Babcock during the World Juniors.

There was an instance last season I believe where a team didn't send one of their players in the AHL, and the SHF were pissed. I doubt the NHL will allow that to happen again.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
how does management think nylander feels though? hes killing it in the ahl...MEANWHILE, nylander has to watch spaling, grabner, holland, froese, boyes, pa play horrible hockey and still get to play with the big team

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
how does management think nylander feels though? hes killing it in the ahl...MEANWHILE, nylander has to watch spaling, grabner, holland, froese, boyes, pa play horrible hockey and still get to play with the big team

He probably understands that he's one of a handful of assets that the team is building around while the guys you've mentioned may not even be here at the end of this season.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If we are actually in a playoff position by January...I mean, call this kid up.

I don't see the toxic environment that people all fear. That was last year's team. This team is doing things the Babcock way.

Nylander is separating himself from the rest. He has played against men in SEL. This has to be recognized.

mikebel111*

Have you even watched Nylander play on the Marlies? Are you even a leafs fan?

And what does Larkin and Kadri have anything to do with Nylander?

What part of a very skilled 19 year old leading the AHL in scoring is not worth "gushing" about?

Seems like you're just coming in here trolling and not giving any reasons.

The fact that you called him Kadri 2.0 pretty much illustrates that you know nothing about the player. Besides hitting, Nylander does EVERYTHING ELSE better than Kadri when he played on the Marlies, which I've seen both play numerous on the Marlies. Not to mention, Kadri was 21 when he came to the AHL. Kadri is further in development, but next year as he continues to get stronger, Nylander will surpass.

Im pretty sure the post was sarcasm

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we are actually in a playoff position by January...I mean, call this kid up.

I don't see the toxic environment that people all fear. That was last year's team. This team is doing things the Babcock way.

Nylander is separating himself from the rest. He has played against men in SEL. This has to be recognized.

It may be sooner than that. He is already poised to win the AHL scoring title as a kid. He said his goal is to be in the NHL this year... They won't be able to deny him... That's his character, the guy is going to be our next captain. Listen to him, watch him, just look at him he has it all, the kids full of it.

We needed a special player and he is exactly that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
#freeWilly

Amirite?

:sarcasm:

Lighting up the AHL at 19 is astounding but Keefe said recently he still needs to work on his play away from the puck .. I'd hate for him to be exposed like that in the NHL right now. Guess it depends on how Leafs brass and Babcock feel - can they insulate him properly in the Leafs line up?

Quite happy to see him develop his game out of the limelight

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
#freeWilly

Amirite?

:sarcasm:

Lighting up the AHL at 19 is astounding but Keefe said recently he still needs to work on his play away from the puck .. I'd hate for him to be exposed like that in the NHL right now. Guess it depends on how Leafs brass and Babcock feel - can they insulate him properly in the Leafs line up?

Quite happy to see him develop his game out of the limelight

Do you really think guys like Ehlers, Larkin, Domi, Draisaitl (who didn't do good in the AHL to start the season but got a call up anyways) don't need to work on their play away from the puck?

Leafs are overdoing this if he doesn't make the team at some point this season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Do you really think guys like Ehlers, Larkin, Domi, Draisaitl (who didn't do good in the AHL to start the season but got a call up anyways) don't need to work on their play away from the puck?

Leafs are overdoing this if he doesn't make the team at some point this season.

I think there are considerations that go beyond player development - ie wanting to slide his ELC another year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think there are considerations that go beyond player development - ie wanting to slide his ELC another year.

When you have a kid who wants it and shows it. You don't hold him back, Kadri 2.0 if you do. He got the jerk around to start too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
When you have a kid who wants it and shows it. You don't hold him back, Kadri 2.0 if you do. He got the jerk around to start too.

They don't want to yo-yo him, when they deem he's ready they're going to be sure so when he's up he's here to stay so they don't have to yo-yo him.

Kadri was yo-yo'd

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/nazem-kadri-player-transactions

07/05/2015 TOR Re-Signed - One-year contract
11/20/2013 TOR Suspension Over
11/14/2013 TOR Suspended - Three games for goaltender interference
09/10/2013 TOR Re-Signed - Two-year contract
01/13/2013 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
09/15/2012 TOR LOCKOUT: Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL
03/25/2012 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL
03/22/2012 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
02/01/2012 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL
12/21/2011 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
10/27/2011 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL
10/20/2011 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
10/19/2011 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL

09/28/2011 TOR Sprained left MCL
03/15/2011 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
12/29/2010 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL
11/12/2010 TOR Called Up From Minors - from Toronto-AHL
10/04/2010 TOR Sent To Minors - Toronto-AHL

02/08/2010 TOR Assigned To Junior Club - London-OHL
02/08/2010 TOR Called Up From Minors - from London-OHL
09/27/2009 TOR Assigned To Junior Club - London-OHL
07/06/2009 TOR Signed - Three-year contract

called up and sent down 5 times before he was here for good, and that's not including the lockout time and the paper transaction where he was up from London for less than a day. If they wanted to avoid Kadri 2.0(turn him into a franchise #1C and not a solid 2C) then what they want to do is what they're doing, not calling him up until they're absolutely sure he's ready for all facets of the game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They don't want to yo-yo him, when they deem he's ready they're going to be sure so when he's up he's here to stay so they don't have to yo-yo him.

Kadri was yo-yo'd

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/nazem-kadri-player-transactions

called up and sent down 5 times before he was here for good, and that's not including the lockout time and the paper transaction where he was up from London for less than a day. If they wanted to avoid Kadri 2.0(turn him into a franchise #1C and not a solid 2C) then what they want to do is what they're doing, not calling him up until they're absolutely sure he's ready for all facets of the game.

He is ready. He will have to cut his teeth but the guys making the AHL look like a joke to him.

The main reason to shelter him this year was a trashy Leaf team... That surprisingly plays solid hockey. I want him learning what it takes right away. The system is being executed perfectly fine.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
A majority of teenagers in the NHL will soon hit the wall, if they haven't already. Teams are going to wish the AHL was an option. I don't see the downside in keeping Nylander in the AHL where he can play good minutes against good competition. Sending prospects up and down can be devastating for their development, and so can 9 minutes per game in the NHL be. Nylander hasn't played a full season with one team since he was 14 or something.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
He is ready. He will have to cut his teeth but the guys making the AHL look like a joke to him.

The main reason to shelter him this year was a trashy Leaf team... That surprisingly plays solid hockey. I want him learning what it takes right away. The system is being executed perfectly fine.

I keep hearing that he needs to be sheltered but I don't buy it. The team might not have the best depth but it comes each night and competes. I think that's what Leafs fans want and their treatment of the team so far hasn't been an issue. If Nylander is up and the team continues to put up the kind of effort it has been this year...what's there to be scared of? Nothing can replace NHL seasoning and it doesn't look like Nylander needlessly puts himself in vulnerable situations.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Rookies that start in the NHL early in the season are notorious for slowing down towards the end. Leave him down there. Let him marinate. It literally will not do any harm to any party. Make a trade or two in january that opens up a spot and then and only then do you consider bringing him up. He'll be fresh legs to the team. Even then. I still say you give him the whole year in the AHL. Leivo is likely ahead of him since he needs waivers next year to be sent down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad