William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nylander is not going to be held back next year too. "full Detroit", when was the last player Detroit draft that high? None they've been making the playoffs for so long, their prospects are being developed that long because they needed it.

Look now they have an elite prospect like Larkin, they're not trying to over-ripen, he's here at 19.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If Nylander continues to go PPG this year and plays a solid two way game, there's no way the Leafs can keep him in the AHL next season

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Center Ice Scrum said:
2017-2018 Toronto Maple Leafs

JVR - Nylander - Brown
Patrick - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri (A) - ____
____ - Goat - ____

Rielly (C) - UFA
Gardiner - Percy (A)
Harrington - Loov

UFA or Trade
Bibeau/ spare

Leivo on that third line and Leipsic/Soshi on the 4th... and were set to go.

Pretty good core if you ask me. But Patrick is a bonafied center.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
How about we go the full Detroit Red Wings style here and over-ripe Nylander, Brown and Kapanen.

If we can hold them out for one more year after this and at the same time tank hard for this season and the next and manage to get back to back top picks, we are set for good.

We can draft Matthews after this season and play him in the AHL next year, he'll be eligible since he's going to be a euro pick and it will give our young guns a great chance to build chemistry in the AHL together.

2017 NHL draft, we gun for Nolan Patrick. He's already 6'3 ~200 LBS. He's going to be NHL ready when he gets drafted.

JVR - Nylander - Brown
____ - Goat - ____

Rielly (C) - UFA
Gardiner - Percy (A)
Harrington - Loov

UFA or Trade
Bibeau/ spare

I love Brown as much as the next guy ... but he is not top line material.
Not sure his game translates all that well to the show ...

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If Nylander continues to go PPG this year and plays a solid two way game, there's no way the Leafs can keep him in the AHL next season

Definitely not. He's good enough to be in the NHL now, nevermind next season. I don't have a doubt in my mind he'll be on the opening night roster next season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

He's not going to be in the AHL next year. If that were the case, I wouldn't be shocked if he asked for a trade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Next yr is the yr where kids will start playing for the Leafs.
Still holding onto Stamkos signing.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I honestly believe if Nylander's contract didn't slide he might be here right now. Next year his contract starts for sure, there's no more sliding years, he'll be here, if he doesn't get called up this year first.

The only reason for him not to be here next year is to try to lose, and that's a bad habit to have. This year there's that but there's the contract sliding/RFA sliding too so he doesn't become RFA until 23, and UFA until 27

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I love Brown as much as the next guy ... but he is not top line material.
Not sure his game translates all that well to the show ...

While I agree he isn't likely good enough to be a top line player in the NHL, Brown has continued to prove doubters wrong year after year. He's got a fairly good skillset and is a great competitor, I think he could be a great 2nd liner.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i have zero doubt nylander gets the last 5 or so games of the year...give him a small taste before heading into 4 months of summer training to give him that extra motivation

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
i have zero doubt nylander gets the last 5 or so games of the year...give him a small taste before heading into 4 months of summer training to give him that extra motivation

he'll be playing with the Marlies in the playoffs for a good chunk of that. Not sure if you want to pull him off the Marlies to give him a couple games when the playoffs are coming up. They might but they might not either.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Next year?

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Lupul - Nylander - Kapanen
Komorov - Kadri - Brown
Leipsic - Gauthier - Winnik

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Dermott - Rielly
Harrington - Hunwick

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Next year?

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - Brown

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Dermott - Rielly
Harrington - Hunwick

I keep Kapanen, Gauthier and Marner away from this team next year. Marner won't be ready as he needs to be seasoned against bigger opposition. Gauthier a little more development and Kapanen the same. Only Nylander is NHL ready to me by next season. Also... Rielly on the second pairing? Yeah, no. Swap him with Gardiner. And this also doesn't factor in who we draft this lottery. Assuming we finish last, we have a choice (guarantee) of Matthews, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Pulj (still can't spell his name) or Brown.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Next year?

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - Brown

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Dermott - Rielly
Harrington - Hunwick
what about our 2016 pick. You could replace stamkos if he does not sign with matthews, and dermott with chychuran if we get 2nd. Also i really doubt dermott makes the team next year over percy. I think most prospects that can will play a year in the ahl now.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I keep Kapanen, Gauthier and Marner away from this team next year. Marner won't be ready as he needs to be seasoned against bigger opposition. Gauthier a little more development and Kapanen the same. Only Nylander is NHL ready to me by next season. Also... Rielly on the second pairing? Yeah, no. Swap him with Gardiner. And this also doesn't factor in who we draft this lottery. Assuming we finish last, we have a choice (guarantee) of Matthews, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Pulj (still can't spell his name) or Brown.

marner can only play in the OHL or NHL next year.

I don't think he is going back to the OHL again.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
He's not going to be in the AHL next year. If that were the case, I wouldn't be shocked if he asked for a trade.

There is no way in hell he is in the AHL next year..... I think he understands, or maybe even been told what is going on.

I hope there are a few more to accompany him to the Leafs. ;)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

And management would laugh in his face he isn't even 20 he couldn't go around asking for trades

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's pretty clear that if he keeps this up they give him the keys to the franchise...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Next year?

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - Brown

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Dermott - Rielly
Harrington - Hunwick

- Don't think they'd just toss Marner there on the 1st line. It's NHL or OHL and for that reason I think he'll be here but they will likely shelter him with 2nd or 3rd line minutes imo
- Don't see Dermott making it
- Think they might keep Kapanen, Leipsic, and Gauthier down to start next year
- Percy and Leivo will likely both be here as both aren't waiver exempt anymore
- If we draft Matthews or Chychrun they could be here

my guess assuming Stamkos.

JVR - Stamkos - Komarov
Lupul - Nylander - Brown
Leivo - Kadri - Marner
Soshnikov - Froese - Winnik

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Percy - Rielly
Harrington - Hunwick

one77

Dec 22, 2013
How about we go the full Detroit Red Wings style here and over-ripe Nylander, Brown and Kapanen.

If we can hold them out for one more year after this and at the same time tank hard for this season and the next and manage to get back to back top picks, we are set for good.

We can draft Matthews after this season and play him in the AHL next year, he'll be eligible since he's going to be a euro pick and it will give our young guns a great chance to build chemistry in the AHL together.

2017 NHL draft, we gun for Nolan Patrick. He's already 6'3 ~200 LBS. He's going to be NHL ready when he gets drafted.

JVR - Nylander - Brown
____ - Goat - ____

Rielly (C) - UFA
Gardiner - Percy (A)
Harrington - Loov

UFA or Trade
Bibeau/ spare
Trade Kadri+ for Seth Jones
Trade Phaneuf to ANA for Ritchie+

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Ritchie - Nylander - Kapanen
Bracco - X - Brown
Komarov - Gauthier - X
-Johnson, Soshnikov, Timashov

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Dermott
Percy - Harrington
-Loov, Valiev, Granberg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nylander is not going to be held back next year too. "full Detroit", when was the last player Detroit draft that high? None they've been making the playoffs for so long, their prospects are being developed that long because they needed it.

Look now they have an elite prospect like Larkin, they're not trying to over-ripen, he's here at 19.

yup.

this gets repeated so often because they have much lesser prospects like nyquist that needed every bit of AHL time just to end up 2nd liners at 26.

when they have a real gem, like Larkin, he plays.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Kapanen almost cracked the Pens roster last year, I'd be shocked if he doesn't make this team next year. Especially if we manage to move a Lupul or Bozak.

Marner will be on the team, there is legitimately nothing for him to prove in the OHL. It's really too bad AHL isn't at least an option, but he'll follow the same path as a player like Bennett.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
yup.

this gets repeated so often because they have much lesser prospects like nyquist that needed every bit of AHL time just to end up 2nd liners at 26.

when they have a real gem, like Larkin, he plays.

Larkin wouldn't have played under Babcock. Detroit is changing their model, and it remains to be seen if they can maintain their level of developmental excellence.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Kapanen almost cracked the Pens roster last year, I'd be shocked if he doesn't make this team next year. Especially if we manage to move a Lupul or Bozak.

Marner will be on the team, there is legitimately nothing for him to prove in the OHL. It's really too bad AHL isn't at least an option, but he'll follow the same path as a player like Bennett.

Kapanen was only held on to until the end of camp for cap reasons, he was never close to making the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad