William Nylander Discussion - 2015-2016 - Likely to Return This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I got no issue with giving the kid 1-2 of the last games of the season as a "reward" for playing well. And the. As you say send him straight back down to be a leader in the Marlies playoffs.

It's taking these prospects up for longer periods and then giving them minimal Icetime/benching that I have an issue with.

Yeah, still not a fan of Leivo sitting out.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
guys who have bounced between leagues (Kadri/Percy) I think suffered for it.

I don't know, look at the resiliency Naz has now. Every time they challenge him, he steps it up. That back and forth and 'what ifs' with past coaches seems to have really galvanized him. I feel sometimes that if Naz had gone straight to the Club early on, he would have had a much tougher time keeping a healthy attitude and work ethic. I dunno, there's a difference in the type of confidence they have that makes a comparison difficult, every player is different.

With Willy I don't feel that it matters too much. He shows such hard core dedication to getting better every day that it often feels like he doesn't care where he plays as long as he is improving. He oozes confidence every time you look at him. I don't think he has any of the doubts that Naz likely went through. Willy knows he is going to be the 1C with the Club at some point, I think he trusts that Dubas, Shanny, Lou and Babs know what is best for him. With Naz it was much less certain.

I feel like that as long as the Marlies are crushing it, they will keep him there so he can have a full season of Winning. Everyone should take a step back and remember that Willy hasn't really played that much hockey yet. I think it would be far better for him to play a full season on one team and be 100% ready to jump into Bab's system next fall.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Of course his goal is the NHL, but that has diddly to do with the scoring title. He's currently in the AHL, do you think he doesn't care about winning games as well? Do you think Connor Brown doesn't care about winning the OHL scoring title because it's not the NHL?

Any competitive person at any level wants to be the best, period, and while I'm sure he'd be okay losing the title if it meant NHL games but that doesn't mean the title doesnt matter.

Of course he wants to be the best while he's playing in the AHL.

Being in the NHL is just MORE important to him AND getting there as soon as possible, even at the cost of a potential AHL scoring title.

mikebel111*

I don't know, look at the resiliency Naz has now. Every time they challenge him, he steps it up. That back and forth and 'what ifs' with past coaches seems to have really galvanized him. I feel sometimes that if Naz had gone straight to the Club early on, he would have had a much tougher time keeping a healthy attitude and work ethic. I dunno, there's a difference in the type of confidence they have that makes a comparison difficult, every player is different.

With Willy I don't feel that it matters too much. He shows such hard core dedication to getting better every day that it often feels like he doesn't care where he plays as long as he is improving. He oozes confidence every time you look at him. I don't think he has any of the doubts that Naz likely went through. Willy knows he is going to be the 1C with the Club at some point, I think he trusts that Dubas, Shanny, Lou and Babs know what is best for him. With Naz it was much less certain.

I feel like that as long as the Marlies are crushing it, they will keep him there so he can have a full season of Winning. Everyone should take a step back and remember that Willy hasn't really played that much hockey yet. I think it would be far better for him to play a full season on one team and be 100% ready to jump into Bab's system next fall.

This is an awesome post:handclap:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Some players are thoroughbreds and some need to be underdogs to succeed. Naz is somewhere between the two but seems to thrive when he's made uncomfortable and has to fight for his place.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Of course he wants to be the best while he's playing in the AHL.

Being in the NHL is just MORE important to him AND getting there as soon as possible, even at the cost of a potential AHL scoring title.

Reasons to want an NHL callup:
1. As mentioned earlier, his paycheck will rise about 10x. Thats insane
2. If he gets to 10 games, a year of his ELC drops, which means a year closer to re-negotiation
3. It means fulfilling a life-long dream
4. NHL atmosphere in Florida is better than any AHL rink (well maybe not Florida)
5. The sooner he gets called up, the sooner he can tell the ladies that he "plays in the show" :naughty:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
2. If he gets to 10 games, a year of his ELC drops, which means a year closer to re-negotiation
4. NHL atmosphere in Florida is better than any AHL rink (well maybe not Florida)
5. The sooner he gets called up, the sooner he can tell the ladies that he "plays in the show" :naughty:

1. Still getting paid good money, in addition to a probably 6 figure signing bonus last year. Rich father, can wait a year.
2. Doubt he cares too much about his ELC, I'm sure his agent does though.
3. True, but would you rather that be during a useless season, or as a impact player in a fresh season?
4. True again, but Toronto does have a great AHL atmosphere, one thats probably better then the show right now. :laugh:
5. Ladies from Toronto and Sweden wont even differentiate between the AHL/NHL. If they know he got drafted it's a wrap.

JUST SAYING, these are all good reasons, and you can bet Nylander wants a call up, but that doesn't mean its really necessary this season. If the Leafs were even close to being a relevant team then I'd be all for getting him into a competitive situation, but that's not the reality. If Nylander gets a call up after the TDL it's going to be on a roster that likley somewhat gutted, and the remaining players just wishing for the off season.

It'd be much better if he can have a deep playoff run with the Marlies, then come to camp and find chemistry potential longterm line mates and play out the season.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
What's the status on Nylanders concussion? I haven't heard anything in a while. Is hr playing?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If Kadri ever learns how to build his legs and skating, he could be a 60-70 point guy. His stick is that good.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What's the status on Nylanders concussion? I haven't heard anything in a while. Is hr playing?

It's possible but I think it's unlikely he plays tonight. He hasn't practiced with the team yet from what I gather.

I think he'll make his return this week-end though, I'm almost positive.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's possible but I think it's unlikely he plays tonight. He hasn't practiced with the team yet from what I gather.

I think he'll make his return this week-end though, I'm almost positive.

He should get in 1-2 contact practices, hopefully this week before the games.

mikebel111*

anyonr know why nylander didnt play yesterday?

He still needs to take a few full practices with the team to get his feet back under him.
I expect he either returns on the weekend, or next week.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Since his father is an assistant coach of Alex's team, do Willy and Alex and the family all live together?

If so, that would be a pretty wild situation, but nice.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

1. Don't think he cares.
2. Don't think he cares.
3. He cares about that but he would rather be someone who is sticking to the NHL rather than someone who bounced around and then settles in.
4. Marlies play in TO, it is better than Florida.
5. Have you seen Willie. Pretty sure he gets the ladies even if he didn't get drafted.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
1. Don't think he cares.
2. Don't think he cares.
3. He cares about that but he would rather be someone who is sticking to the NHL rather than someone who bounced around and then settles in.
4. Marlies play in TO, it is better than Florida.
5. Have you seen Willie. Pretty sure he gets the ladies even if he didn't get drafted.

Are you serious?

If you dont think the $ matters, I dont know what to say. Perhaps he might not care about the ELC thing, but I am sure his agent has told him about the benefits.

But if you dont think a 10x raise is appealing, then Im at a lost for words. Lets assume William's salary in the AHL is 70k. Thats a reasonable assumption. NOT including agent fees and escrow (not sure how it works in the AHL), thats an after-tax bi-weekly income of $1924.00. Now imagine you have been getting that for the last 4 months, and all of a sudden, you could get $19,000 every 2 weeks.

Thats an incomprehensible difference. You go from being average Joe to being incredibly rich.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Are you serious?

If you dont think the $ matters, I dont know what to say. Perhaps he might not care about the ELC thing, but I am sure his agent has told him about the benefits.

But if you dont think a 10x raise is appealing, then Im at a lost for words. Lets assume William's salary in the AHL is 70k. Thats a reasonable assumption. NOT including agent fees and escrow (not sure how it works in the AHL), thats an after-tax bi-weekly income of $1924.00. Now imagine you have been getting that for the last 4 months, and all of a sudden, you could get $19,000 every 2 weeks.

Thats an incomprehensible difference. You go from being average Joe to being incredibly rich.

I'm sure he cares about becoming a self made millionaire, but lets get real he already makes good money, and his family is loaded. You're also forge ting his signing bonus, which is 92,500 a year, and he has a performance bonus of 850,000 (which i can't find the details to). Assuming he doesn't get the performance bonus (even though im sure he does), he still makes 160k a year before tax and agent fees.

A quick google search tells me his father made $31,703,300 before tax throughout his career. He was never an average joe :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm sure he cares about becoming a self made millionaire, but lets get real he already makes good money, and his family is loaded. You're also forge ting his signing bonus, which is 92,500 a year, and he has a performance bonus of 850,000 (which i can't find the details to). Assuming he doesn't get the performance bonus (even though im sure he does), he still makes 160k a year before tax and agent fees.

A quick google search tells me his father made $31,703,300 before tax throughout his career. He was never an average joe :laugh:

Why would he get those bonuses? Pretty sure that would be tied to statistical performances in the NHL, where he is not.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If Kadri ever learns how to build his legs and skating, he could be a 60-70 point guy. His stick is that good.

yes but I feel like he'll never be that guy with that extra gear. but couldn't agree more about the hands.

we'll see. clearly a very good player though. he's an asset either way.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

10 game rule only applies to chl players, it's completely irrelevant in nylanders case. Although unlike what everyone else is saying I'll agree with your first point about the money. Yeah so what if he's already a rich kid? I bet he'd still like to be making more money (his own money).

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Are you serious?

His Dad is a long-time, multimillionaire, ex-NHL player -- do you really think he's lived the lifestyle of an 'average Joe?' Use your head, bro.

Not to mention, going into the NHL and making huge money is an inevitability.

I'm sure his main goal at the moment is to get back on the ice, symptom-free, and try to stay that way for the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad