William Nylander Discussion - 2015-2016 - Likely to Return This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou Lam speaks out

The biggest question is who will make up the 23-man roster by the time training camp ends. The Leafs, of course, will have the likes of prospects Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen in camp fighting for spots.

The team has promised a patient approach with their youngsters and it didn’t sound as if Lamoriello was going to vary from that plan.

“You are always going to play the best players,†said Lamoriello. “But I’ve always said a young player really tells you when he’s ready. You don’t really tell him. He has to have something special.

If not, you’re doing an injustice, not only to him but to the organization. Only time will tell. You never say never to anything. In my opinion, it’s very difficult for a young player today, as an 18-year-old, to make the team".

Full Story: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

OvenMittz*

If anybody is keeping up with the updates on his health please post them..

They should have have a better idea of where he's at health wise soon.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
remedial you need to settle down, way way way to extreme views here. Most likely a mild concussion or nothing at all, obviously it didn't look good at all so we'll see, but lets hope for a best case scenerio

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto

The guy that posted this update is followed by Friedman, so is probably a reliable source? Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is without a doubt the worst news to have woken up to today. I looked at the boxscore and saw he only had 1 goal in that rout, and came here expecting people to be giving him hell for only showing up for one goal. Goddamnit this sucks.

Also to hell with the main board and everyone saying it was a clean hit.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
thewave is fearmongering like crazy. Best to just be patient and wait for the professionals to have their say and not to go full Fox News on this story.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Interview/announcement from the Swedish team doctor at 8:30 PM finnish time.

Don't expect any good news.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It looked like a clean hit to me. He does need to keep his head up, in those still shots his head may be "up" but he's staring at the puck. Hopefully he learns from it and is okay.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'm a Bruins fan/33 year season ticket holder and even I think McDavid ends up a Leafs.

Chiarelli will mess up that salary cap also.

I am not a Leafs fan but even I wish Toronto got McDavid- and you probably will have to wait some years but in the end- yes.

my two cents is Nylander will be ok, and I had no dog in this fight and I think it was a BS hit. If it was my kid who took that hit I'd be BS.

It's tough to be rational when you are on one side or the other but neutral I don't like it./QUOTE]

Couldn't quote this because I wasn't on time before it closed.

Really interesting. I was in the same boat pre-draft. Would have been great for Toronto and league revenue as a whole. Were you thinking in his RFA years or UFA years?

Depending on how Chia works with the cap, would they really be able to match say... 10 million from Toronto on a qualifying offer? They would still have to sign Eberle, Draisatl (who I believe would get to RFA first because he played last year before McDavid), Nurse and a few others, which will eat into their cap from the get go. I'm not sure if they'd be able to take a giant cap hit if Toronto comes in with one.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That's about as textbook blindside hit as can be. Just because it might be clean according to one criteria doesn't make it a clean hit.

That whole part with Meier made me dislike him more than I usually dislike juniors.

91Kadri91*

It looked like a clean hit to me. He does need to keep his head up, in those still shots his head may be "up" but he's staring at the puck. Hopefully he learns from it and is okay.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone could watch that hit and come to the conclusion that it was clean.

Nylander_Hit_To_Head.jpg

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Seabrook on Backes type clean.

Trigger96

Mar 3, 2006
clean hit?!?!? are people serious? It's the EXACT type of blindside check that the NHL is trying to eliminate from the game. I don't think the Swiss player meant to make contact with the head, mainly because Nylander was turning in transition at high speed, but there is a reason you don't see these plays in the NHL anymore let alone the first game of the WJC.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I genuinely don't understand how anyone could watch that hit and come to the conclusion that it was clean.

Nylander_Hit_To_Head.jpg

His whole body is hitting his whole body, you can see it in your great still frame and you can see it in the vine. He'll probably get suspended but that's a good hit to me. I realize that IIHF have a different set of rules but I'm saying it's a clean hit from my point of view.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I wish it was a clean hit, I wouldn't be worrying about it as much if it was. Sadly though it was a blindside hit which affected his head and now we need to see just how much damage actually happened.

His whole body is hitting his whole body, you can see it in your great still frame and you can see it in the vine. He'll probably get suspended but that's a good hit to me. I realize that IIHF have a different set of rules but I'm saying it's a clean hit from my point of view.

It's fine if you hit the whole body minus the head, this is a hit to the body plus the head and that's the point of major concern here.

91Kadri91*

Are we looking at the same photo? Or the same vine? His shoulder makes direct contact with Nylander's head.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The Swiss were headhunting all game. Seemed like their only purpose was to take out Swedes.

Hell, Nylander isn't the only guy that went down with a dirty hit. Just a while later, Kempe (LA prospect) got injured on a flagrant hit into the boards.

There's no way you can reasonably tell me either hit was clean (Nylander getting nailed in the head or Kempe boarded). Hell, I've never seen 2 players get tossed in the same game for dirty hits either.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Absolutely, body on body like Seabrook on Backes.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wish it was a clean hit, I wouldn't be worrying about it as much if it was. Sadly though it was a blindside hit which affected his head and now we need to see just how much damage actually happened.

Blindside hits are actually legal in the AHL and NHL. As long as the head isn't the principle point of contact.

Are we looking at the same photo? Or the same vine? His shoulder makes direct contact with Nylander's head.

You're allowed to make contact with the head. Maybe not in the IIHF but in general you are. That was body on body hit with a shoulder hitting the head. Like I said, this is my opinion on the hit, I'm not going by the IIHF's rulebook.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't want to say if the hit was clean or dirty. Yeah his head was up, but he was looking straight ahead and not to the side the guy came from. Also, how big was the guy who hit him? If the guy was like 6'2 or bigger than you can't blame him if he accidentally made contact with his head when Nylander was slightly leaning forward. Don't accuse me of defending the hit because I haven't seen the video yet, just pictures so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad