Speculation: Will The Canucks Make The Playoffs? | Warning Post #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
nope

this is the year we crash and burn and 1/2 this board who claim to be life long fans will suddenly go MIA, We have already culled the heard of a lot of bandwagoners

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It could happen.
(Not with the current roster)

Definitely need something more to happen this summer.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Any injury to a Sedin or a guy like Tanev/Edler long term and it is a big no. We have no depth at skill positions just a big pile of tweeners.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's one of those 'anything could happen' realities of the NHL. Under the right circumstances they could squeak in, I'd give them 1 in 5 odds. On paper though we're at the bottom with Arizona, who I've always tended to overestimate in standings predictions and think they'll finish ahead of us. No Sedin's up front, but a well balanced 1-4 forward group with some exciting youngsters, comparable goaltending and a superior defense lead by a Norris caliber OEL.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
A lot of things need to go right. Even if all of these things go right, I see their absolute ceiling around 100 points. They are more likely a .500 team right now.

Eriksson needs to revitalize the Sedin line. The Sedins can't be left to do the heavy lifting all the time. Hansen needs to keep up his goal scoring pace on the 2nd line.

Gudbranson needs to be an upgrade on a declining Hamhuis.

Sutter needs a healthy 20 goal, 45 point season.

Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Hutton all need big years. Especially Hutton, a sophomore slump would sink the 2nd pairing.

We could also use a surprise rookie to stick after camp.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think we'll be battling Colorado for worst in the west. Toronto, Edmonton both have improved. "Real good" chance at a bottom 3 finish this year although since it's the Canucks we'll be rewarded with pick #4,5 or 6.

Reactions: dim jim

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Nope. Most likely we'll be caught in no-man's land; just outside the bubble teams with about a 4% shot at the lottery.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Maybe 20-25%. It will take a few teams to disappoint, one surprise collapse and the canucks to stay healthy and the Sedins-Eriksson to find form together. I think the key will be the teams better than us falling to our level rather than us rising up like a phoenix from 2015-16's shambolic disaster.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think Eriksson once dropped to the second line will give us a significant jump up in depth and favorable matchup situations... leading to wins.
I foresee a situation where Eriksson may not be as effective as Hansen with the Sedins at 5on5 but still rips it on the PP.

I think we'll actually have 2 decent PP units this season.

Edler, Hutton, Tryamkin as PP D.. Larsen when he's in.
Gudbranson's shot might get a chance as well.

It just looks and feels so much better than running Tanev, Hamhuis and Biega out there.
And Weber was awesome in in 14-15 but disappeared in 15-16...
Just another reason to be optimistic.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A big issue is we still lack NHL caliber depth at forward...

We'll be in trouble if run into multiple injuries at once upfront.

Not to mention the defense is quite a mess. But then again those who believe grit and meanness and making the loud boom when hitting someone against the boards might disagree with me and point to Gudbranson as someone who will help.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think we will make into the playoffs, Don Aquilini demands it - would not be surprised at all if at some point he threatened to put a horse's head on Linden and Benning's bed should they fail to do so.

Then we get bounced in round 1 in 5 games, management declares season a success, continue to advise Linden and Benning to piss away assets for meat and potatoes, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Right now, making the playoffs is utterly and completely meaningless. We need to accumulate more top end talents - something we cannot do by trades, as Benning demonstrated repeatedly.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not to mention the defense is quite a mess. But then again those who believe grit and meanness and making the loud boom when hitting someone against the boards might disagree with me and point to Gudbranson as someone who will help.

That would be me..
I like our D and think it's better than last yr's version....
Out are Hamhuis, Weber and Bartkowski.
In Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Larsen.
+ Hutton a yr older... and dare I say it.. a healthy Sbisa.
Pedan over Biega tbd. But Biega is still there as a number 8/9 or a 9/10..
(I think we carry 8 D to start, and Biega is the 1st or 2nd call up. )

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the team manages to stay healthy and we continue the trend of playing 3 on 3s not to lose, I honestly think there's a good chance we would.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
Not even close! How will they improve nearly as much as other non-playoff teams, let alone the ones that are already good.

Aquilini will get what he deserves and we might lose a hockey team to Kansas City or Orlando, which will make Gary Bettman extremely proud.

A better question is who will the Canucks finish in front of in their conference. I'd like to hear those arguments.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
No. But management will still treat the trade deadline like we are a playoff team.... so theres that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad