Speculation: Will The Canucks Make The Playoffs? | Warning Post #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't really care about that. The Sedins aren't going to win a Cup here. This is a team that needs to rebuild but it seems like management thinks they can contend while the Sedins are still here. It's a complete joke and utter failure on their part at identifying how poor the team really is (mostly thanks to their own transactions).

Well obviously :laugh:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
For me there's nothing enjoyable about watching these idiot managers destroying my favourite hockey team.

Agree (as you already know)

There's nothing enjoyable about blindly cheering on a team that I know doesn't stand a chance.

Disagree. I see a method to Jimbo's madness in acquiring Gud and Eriksson. Real baggage free leadership in the d-core and a legit top 6 forward. If, by some miracle, we can come up with a top 6 playmaking winger then there's a possibility that Sutter can slot in as our 2C.

There's nothing enjoyable about getting excited for certain prospects only to see them given away by idiot management.

Agree.

There's nothing enjoyable about cheering on for meaningless wins when that will only extend management's stay here, and will achieve nothing but a worse draft pick in the end. I'm not naive to think this team can legitimately compete in the playoffs.

Yeah... I'm experiencing pretty bad cognitive dissonance because of this. But as long as the Sedins are on this team, cheering for a tank right off the bat is just not in my DNA. You, fortunately (unfortunately?) aren't burdened by this caveat so I'll have to rely on you to be the full time resident tank driver.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't really care about that. The Sedins aren't going to win a Cup here. This is a team that needs to rebuild but it seems like management thinks they can contend while the Sedins are still here. It's a complete joke and utter failure on their part at identifying how poor the team really is (mostly thanks to their own transactions).

Instead of looking at it as management is building a team to contend, how about looking at it like management is building a competitive team consisting of good character veteran players so to facilitate the present and future development of our prospects?

Re: Eriksson

The Eriksson signing is not taking away ice time from any current Canuck player. We needed a top 3 winger and Eriksson is what we got. Lucic is the other player management was targeting and I thank the hockey gods for not allowing that to happen.

Re: Gud

The d-core was in shambles last season. Neither Edler nor Tanev are traditional leaders, Sbisa is the opposite of a leader, Hammer needed a change in scenery and still unsure whether Biega is a real NHLer or not. We really needed a strong personality mid-20s d-man to bring the d-core together and hopefully Gud is that guy.

I know it's a bit of a mental shift but IMO, it sure beats dwelling on the incredible amount of ****ups Jimbo and company have perpetrated on this team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

The d-core was in shambles last season. Neither Edler nor Tanev are traditional leaders, Sbisa is the opposite of a leader, Hammer needed a change in scenery and still unsure whether Biega is a real NHLer or not. We really needed a strong personality mid-20s d-man to bring the d-core together and hopefully Gud is that guy.

I know it's a bit of a mental shift but IMO, it sure beats dwelling on the incredible amount of ****ups Jimbo and company have perpetrated on this team.

Kind of helped having two old seasoned vets on the blueline (at least one of them likely with strong locker room presence) - eg., Mitchell & Campbell. And Ekblad by himself is better than whoever we have presently on the blueline.

Gud fills a void; just not wild about the price paid to fill that void.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I knew one of these days the stars would align.

:cheers:

The big problem is the bolded part though.

Our management was completely and utterly clueless last season which culminated in absolutely nothing happening at the TDL.

This really is inexcusable. Any fool could have seen this coming in Christmas where we tanked the "must" game against Boston 0-4. When you got a team that is playing such unmotivated hockey so early in the season against a supposed rival the playoffs are a pipe dream (not to mention all of the BS side drama that was happening).

Management really screwed this team through their complete lack of team and market awareness. There is no plausible excuse for letting Vrbata and Hammer go for nothing. A competent executive would have been planning trade strategies and scenarios for both players in January (EG. Leafs trading Phaneuf at the beginning of February). The sooner we get new execs in our front office the better for everyone.

I'd agree, it was really disappointing to have the TDL come and go and just...nothing. But it was a pretty bunk hand this management were dealt...

Hamhuis waffling on where he'd actually waive for, limiting it to a pair of teams while openly talking about how much he'd like to return to Vancouver, Dallas being stupid and choosing Kris Russell over Hamhuis for no good reason. I'm just not sure what people expected on that front. :dunno: As far as Vrbata goes...the guy still doesn't have a contract. Nobody even called to lowball Benning on the guy. He had zero value. Nobody wanted a one-dimensional pouting goal-scorer who wasn't scoring, with a history of up and down player and giving zero effort if he wasn't perfectly catered to.

It really does suck that we couldn't get anything, but those were the pieces to move...and they weren't an easy sell.

If things fall apart this season like they did last, and we're in a similar situation approaching the deadline...i hope there are some deals they can get done. But whatever the case, at least they weren't "buying" rentals or anything moronic like that, which some were afraid of.

There was a lot more to the "tanking" effort of the last 1/4 of the season than trading a couple vets away (or failing to do so). Down the stretch, it was abundantly clear that a message had been sent, the vets were mailing it in, and youth were playing a lot more. They were taking looks at young players that they otherwise never would have considered in a playoff chase. It was full-on...welp, no playoffs...let's see what we got with them kids i guess.

I don't mind that. I just cannot support the idea of going into opening day with that attitude.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Interesting narrative. Did this actually happen or are you just making this up? As far as I know, he gave a list of two teams when asked and Benning failed miserably.

I would even add a deal could have been done with Chicago pre Ladd trade, from what we have heard. Really if we gave him more time, he may have opened up his list more, but we may never know.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Instead of looking at it as management is building a team to contend, how about looking at it like management is building a competitive team consisting of good character veteran players so to facilitate the present and future development of our prospects?

Re: Eriksson

The Eriksson signing is not taking away ice time from any current Canuck player. We needed a top 3 winger and Eriksson is what we got. Lucic is the other player management was targeting and I thank the hockey gods for not allowing that to happen.

Because they're not doing that. They're trading away our prospects. And they're burying our prospects on the depth chart long-term behind expensive free agents like Eriksson.

The Eriksson contract is an awful contract which will be one people recognize as a huge mistake in about a year or two. It seems like people don't have the ability of foresight (it's okay, Canucks management doesn't either) and don't recognize how bad this contract will likely be.

Why did Hamhuis need a change of scenery? He wanted to be here. He was a leader here. He was still playing well here. There was no reason to move on from him unless you had other options which were better. We don't. He would have solidified our left side along with Edler and Hutton. Instead we're forced to play Hutton in the top 6, with very bad options behind him. Hate to break it to you but "strong personalities" don't equate to wins. People keep talking highly about Gudbranson but reference things that don't contribute to winning hockey games. I have a strong personality. I'm tough and will stand up for my teammates (I got into a fight in a pickup game with Canucker....and I roughed it up with Mr. C lol). Does that mean I'd be what this Canucks defense needs?

Gudbranson is a right handed slightly better version of Luca Sbisa. The fact people think he's closer to Tanev than he is to Sbisa suggests people are in for a rude awakening.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
People keep talking highly about Gudbranson but reference things that don't contribute to winning hockey games. I have a strong personality. I'm tough and will stand up for my teammates (I got into a fight in a pickup game with Canucker....and I roughed it up with Mr. C lol). Does that mean I'd be what this Canucks defense needs?

with the way people glorify it, you'd think the team the most big hits in the corner wins the hockey game. Maybe it's unpleasant but it doesn't keep the best opposition players out of your zone. This is the NHL - a big boys sport - and a team's best players will will happily 'pay the price' every time to score the goals they have to.

Contrast that with Tanev... Nobody pays the price against a guy like Tanev but it doesn't matter because he takes the puck away and moves it out of danger. He's the modern, model defensemen. Gudbranson is the antithesis of that. Gudbranson is nothing more than a glorified toll collector.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting narrative. Did this actually happen or are you just making this up? As far as I know, he gave a list of two teams when asked and Benning failed miserably.

He was ambiguous on whether he'd even be open to moving...constantly going back to the idea of wanting to stay here, wanting to come back here if he was traded.

In the end, a two-team list isn't much to work with. Especially when one effectively eliminated themselves from making an offer, opting for a forward they were familiar with in Ladd instead. And the other team directly opted for Kris Russell over Hamhuis, in large part...cited as being over a belief that Russell would be more likely to re-sign in big D (attributable in large part to Hammer's waffling on whether he even wanted to go). I don't resent Hamhuis for what he did, it was his choice to make. But you can't do anything about Dallas making a bad choice. :dunno:

I would even add a deal could have been done with Chicago pre Ladd trade, from what we have heard. Really if we gave him more time, he may have opened up his list more, but we may never know.

If they'd given him more time, waiting until Dan's kids were out of school for the summer, his wife ready to move maybe. :laugh: Unfortunately, that wasn't really an option at the deadline...

Even then, he hit the open market a few months later and chose...of all places, go figure...Dallas. :dunno:

I don't even know how you could have really prepared Hamhuis to grapple with the idea of waiving his NTC earlier to "give him more time". The questions were already floating out there by the time he came back from his gruesomely broken face injury in February. You're not going to go to the guy sipping his Christmas dinner through a straw and ask him for a list of places he'd be willing to waive for and uproot his family before that. :laugh:

I don't know why so many seem to have such a hard time accepting that there just wasn't a deal there to be made. As much as it sucks to not get some extra assets...sometimes that's just the way it goes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they ran into similar problems if it comes down to "selling off" this year as well. Hansen, Edler, Burrows, Miller as potential pieces to move...all with NTCs of some variety. If they're wary of moving, it makes them difficult to move.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I think it would be a realistic accomplishment for the Canucks to finish the regular season. Anything less than the Canucks finishing the regular season (playing all 82 games) would be a big disappointment, IMO. Next year's version of the Canucks should be able to play all 82 games, with at least 25% or so of those games played competitively.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I have a hard time cheering for a veteran laden team to make a 1st round exit which is about all we can hope for if things go right.

Ages from www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2017.html (uses feb 1, season mid-point)

Canucks starting 6 1st line, 1st pairing, starting goalie

36 36 31
30 27

you with he competing for the cup or rebuilding, not hoping to get lucky and going for a 1st round loss.

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Nope, I think the older guys all know there is no realistic shot and will be just collecting their cheques while seeming competitive as to not insult the fans. The younger guys will be playing for roster spots and contracts. Any real heart and effort will be completely eroded 2/3 of the way into the season.

Hopefully people continue to stop buying tickets at a greater rate so the owners get the message and hopefully one day move on themselves.

Is there actually a point in paying good money to 'cheer' these guys on! Come on!

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'd agree, it was really disappointing to have the TDL come and go and just...nothing. But it was a pretty bunk hand this management were dealt...

Hamhuis waffling on where he'd actually waive for, limiting it to a pair of teams while openly talking about how much he'd like to return to Vancouver, Dallas being stupid and choosing Kris Russell over Hamhuis for no good reason. I'm just not sure what people expected on that front. :dunno: As far as Vrbata goes...the guy still doesn't have a contract. Nobody even called to lowball Benning on the guy. He had zero value. Nobody wanted a one-dimensional pouting goal-scorer who wasn't scoring, with a history of up and down player and giving zero effort if he wasn't perfectly catered to.

It really does suck that we couldn't get anything, but those were the pieces to move...and they weren't an easy sell.

If things fall apart this season like they did last, and we're in a similar situation approaching the deadline...i hope there are some deals they can get done. But whatever the case, at least they weren't "buying" rentals or anything moronic like that, which some were afraid of.

There was a lot more to the "tanking" effort of the last 1/4 of the season than trading a couple vets away (or failing to do so). Down the stretch, it was abundantly clear that a message had been sent, the vets were mailing it in, and youth were playing a lot more. They were taking looks at young players that they otherwise never would have considered in a playoff chase. It was full-on...welp, no playoffs...let's see what we got with them kids i guess.

I don't mind that. I just cannot support the idea of going into opening day with that attitude.

You don't need to be fair and balanced on this one biturbo. Benning deserves a lot of scorn. Our situation is not good. It's tough but there's really no point in looking for positives when someone has such potential to destroy value and is now operating under desperation to achieve a nonsensical goal..

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He was ambiguous on whether he'd even be open to moving...constantly going back to the idea of wanting to stay here, wanting to come back here if he was traded.

In the end, a two-team list isn't much to work with. Especially when one effectively eliminated themselves from making an offer, opting for a forward they were familiar with in Ladd instead. And the other team directly opted for Kris Russell over Hamhuis, in large part...cited as being over a belief that Russell would be more likely to re-sign in big D (attributable in large part to Hammer's waffling on whether he even wanted to go). I don't resent Hamhuis for what he did, it was his choice to make. But you can't do anything about Dallas making a bad choice. :dunno:

If they'd given him more time, waiting until Dan's kids were out of school for the summer, his wife ready to move maybe. :laugh: Unfortunately, that wasn't really an option at the deadline...

Even then, he hit the open market a few months later and chose...of all places, go figure...Dallas. :dunno:

I don't even know how you could have really prepared Hamhuis to grapple with the idea of waiving his NTC earlier to "give him more time". The questions were already floating out there by the time he came back from his gruesomely broken face injury in February. You're not going to go to the guy sipping his Christmas dinner through a straw and ask him for a list of places he'd be willing to waive for and uproot his family before that. :laugh:

I don't know why so many seem to have such a hard time accepting that there just wasn't a deal there to be made. As much as it sucks to not get some extra assets...sometimes that's just the way it goes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they ran into similar problems if it comes down to "selling off" this year as well. Hansen, Edler, Burrows, Miller as potential pieces to move...all with NTCs of some variety. If they're wary of moving, it makes them difficult to move.

You tell him in Jan when the team is in the bottom of the league in points % "Look Dan, we are not looking good this season, and we probably are not going to bring you back next season. Maybe you should start to think of a few places you may want to go at the trade deadline."

Hell a broken down Eric Staal got a better return with a one team trade list.

The rumor was Chicago offered us the Ladd deal first we said ho hum let us think. Then they offered the same thing to the Peg and they jumped on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad