Speculation: Will The Canucks Make The Playoffs? | Warning Post #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So, everyone seems to be arguing whether we make the playoffs or not, so lets keep it a simple question.

Will the Canucks make the playoffs this coming season?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
So, everyone seems to be arguing whether we make the playoffs or not, so lets keep it a simple question.

Will the Canucks make the playoffs this coming season?

I predict they will not make the playoffs, but will look good at the beginning. Their play will drop off mid way and then injuries will happen, Benning will trade picks and youth in an attempt to shore up the team and they will bottom out by the end of the season, falling short of a playoff spot.

The team will have few picks going into the draft and will have mostly gutted any youth of value in Utica. Willie will be fired in the offseason and likely Green will be brought in to replace him, giving Benning and Linden at least another year driving the bus, again blaming injuries and possibly Willie for their lack of success.

Sure hope I'm wrong.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I predict they will not make the playoffs, but will look good at the beginning. Their play will drop off mid way and then injuries will happen, Benning will trade picks and youth in an attempt to shore up the team and they will bottom out by the end of the season, falling short of a playoff spot.

The team will have few picks going into the draft and will have mostly gutted any youth of value in Utica. Willie will be fired in the offseason and likely Green will be brought in to replace him, giving Benning and Linden at least another year driving the bus, again blaming injuries and possibly Willie for their lack of success.

Sure hope I'm wrong.

And after having a strong rookie year Las Vegas will select Brendan Gaunce in he expansion draft after Benning protects Derek Dorsett instead :sarcasm:

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I am pretty sure we all know where the most vocal posters stand by now. But stick me in the maybe camp.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Bubble team. Could go either way. If enough things break in their favor, particularly strong seasons from the two H players (Horvat and Hutton) playoffs are a possibility. If the older players show more age based decline and the younger guys don't surge, though, it'll be another finish deep in the standings.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Bubble team. Could go either way. If enough things break in their favor, particularly strong seasons from the two H players (Horvat and Hutton) playoffs are a possibility. If the older players show more age based decline and the younger guys don't surge, though, it'll be another finish deep in the standings.

Yep. I think that's actually a pretty good spot for us to be in right now. If the kids don't show well -we're toast. And that means we likely need the top end pick. If they do show well, it'll be a good sign going forward and we can likely wait until the twins bow out to start bottoming out again.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I will wait and see how camp goes before guessing that...

I like how it's looking so far.

I like the D better than last yr.. pre injuries.

I like Eriksson, way better than '16 Vrbata. I like the addition of Sutter this yr.
Pretty sure Rodin may contribute more than Higgins did last yr.

I like the idea of '17 versions Horvat, Virtanen, Granlund, Etem, Hutton, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Markstrom BETTER THAN '16 version of the same.

I'm optimistic that we'll be a little healthier than last year.

So yeah, I'm hoping for playoffs.
We'll gauge actual expectation preseason.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Likely not. If nearly everything goes right they could get in, but I don't expect them to do much once they're there. Sort of similar to 14-15.

But in the event that that doesn't happen they'll likely miss, and if they experience any serious adversity (injuries, important players struggling badly) they could finish where they did this season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Unless the league changes the rules to allow the last place team to make the playoffs then NO

:laugh:

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
It's not just things going right for us to make it, its things going wrong for a lot of other teams too.

Exactly. In order for us to make the playoffs, we'd have to finish ahead of one of the following eight teams: (LA, Ana, SJ, StL, Chi, Nsh, Min, Dal). Most of that list is going to finish comfortably ahead of us, just like last year. With the roster as currently constructed, if everything goes right w.r.t. injuries, improvement of younger players, the vets not declining, nobody else in the conference improving at the same time as we do (Edmonton!), we can maybe sneak past one or two of those teams into a wild card spot. That's a lot of ifs. I see playoffs as a 30% possibility tops... another top 5 pick next year is a lot more likely.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Exactly. In order for us to make the playoffs, we'd have to finish ahead of one of the following eight teams: (LA, Ana, SJ, StL, Chi, Nsh, Min, Dal). Most of that list is going to finish comfortably ahead of us, just like last year. With the roster as currently constructed, if everything goes right w.r.t. injuries, improvement of younger players, the vets not declining, nobody else in the conference improving at the same time as we do (Edmonton!), we can maybe sneak past a couple of those teams into a wild card spot. That's a lot of ifs. I see playoffs as a 30% possibility tops.

If any team is going to legitimately challenge for a playoff spot in the West it's going to be Calgary. Their team wasn't bad. Their goaltending completely sunk them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad