Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I honestly think that all this noise about Stamkos preferring other teams is to get the Leafs nervous and try and trade for him so that Tampa doesn't lose him for nothing in free agency.

I've always wondered if the "insiders" do favours like that for management in exchange for leaking info to break news. I think they must

I agree, they must. But if he wanted to do that favor for Tampa, he could just give Yzerman permission to speak with Lou and hammer things out.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The one thing that doesn't make sense to me is moving him before the trade deadline. We're trying to tank, and you would think that both TB and Stamkos would prefer if he helped them get to the playoffs.

If this rumor has legs, it will likely happen in the summer.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I agree, they must. But if he wanted to do that favor for Tampa, he could just give Yzerman permission to speak with Lou and hammer things out.

For all we know that may have happened already and Lou might be telling Stevie he's not willing to give him anything

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For all we know that may have happened already and Lou might be telling Stevie he's not willing to give him anything

Or they could be talking to Stamkos about a 7 year deal in July vs an 8 year deal now, and also tweaking the compensation package for Tampa. Stamkos and Meehan sounded like they wanted to 'explore' all options but how do you do that unless there's different clubs and different angles to consider? All in the same week Toronto basically cleared their cap deck to boot.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
The one thing that doesn't make sense to me is moving him before the trade deadline. We're trying to tank, and you would think that both TB and Stamkos would prefer if he helped them get to the playoffs.

If this rumor has legs, it will likely happen in the summer.

Tampa cannot take the risk. He is a UFA July 1. He also has an NMC, Stamkos is calling the shots here.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tampa cannot take the risk. He is a UFA July 1. He also has an NMC, Stamkos is calling the shots here.

Agreed, but if there's an understanding that we are his preferred destination, and there is an informal agreement in place at some point between TB, the Leafs, and Stamkos regarding a sign and trade, it would make more sense for all parties involved if the transaction is made after the season and prior to July 1st.

Why would Stamkos want to play meaningless games for the Leafs this season, why would we want to jeopardize our draft position, and why would Tampa Bay want to lose their top sniper going into the playoffs?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Agreed, but if there's an understanding that we are his preferred destination, and there is an informal agreement in place at some point between TB, the Leafs, and Stamkos regarding a sign and trade, it would make more sense for all parties involved if the transaction is made after the season and prior to July 1st.

Why would Stamkos want to play meaningless games for the Leafs this season, why would we want to jeopardize our draft position, and why would Tampa Bay want to lose their top sniper going into the playoffs?

It's hard to believe that we'd be anybody's preferred destination right now.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's hard to believe that we'd be anybody's preferred destination right now.

Right now, yes. Looking ahead though, Stamkos is young enough to lead the upcoming crop of talented prospects coming up through the system, and most importantly, he grew up a Leaf fan. This is his hometown. If he can get paid fair market value to play in Toronto, he probably will.

It's about time we as a fan base benefit from good fortune, isn't it?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This happened with Babcock too :laugh:

It's like déjà vu !

Pretty sure it was Dreger who said Babcock was unlikely to come here as well :laugh:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Some important questions regarding Stamkos:

How effective will Stamkos be when we're ready to compete regularly for a playoff spot in 3-4 years from now?

How effective will Stamkos be when we're ready to be a Stanley Cup competitor in 5-7 years from now?

Are we, and is Stamkos, ready to possibly waste his prime years during the current rebuild?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have a hard time thinking a guy who turned 26 less than a week ago is worried about the rest of his prime and his cup window closing. The Leafs have a bright future ahead, it just doesn't look like that right now.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I get the feeling from the recent interview from Meehan and Stamkos' comments yesterday, as well as the Chris Johnston article just posted on sprotsnet.ca that we might actually make a move for him. If he does want to come here, (which I believe he does) he will want that 8th year, and I could see him telling Yzerman that is the only destination that he will waive to go to. I am sure through back channels this would leak back to the Leafs so that they don't give up anything too substantial for him. I could see us doing something that will help them cap wise and for their playoff run without Stamkos, but not hurt us long term. None of the guys going to Tampa would impact their cap picture beyond next season when they have lots of guys to sign.

Maybe something like:

TOR
Stamkos
Carle

TBL
Polak
Michalek
Parenteau

This would be a dream come true. But I have a hard time believing that Tampa Bay couldn't get at least one semi-reasonable prospect in a deal for Stamkos. Certainly they will want cap space, but to have a prospect under control would really limit the amount they'd have to spend on that player for at least a few years.

But it is exciting to think that Stamkos is strong-******* the Lightning so he can eventually end up a Leaf.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

How effective will Stamkos be when we're ready to compete regularly for a playoff spot in 3-4 years from now?

How effective will Stamkos be when we're ready to be a Stanley Cup competitor in 5-7 years from now?

Are we, and is Stamkos, ready to possibly waste his prime years during the current rebuild?

I would say that the road to contender status is process driven, so if we actually get there in 3-4 years, a 30 year old Stamkos would have had a role to play in that.

In 5 years time, Stamkos will be about 31. Looking around the league, 31 year olds like Perry, Getzlaf, Weber look like they're still very much alive and looking to compete for cups.

Finally, I have no idea what Stamkos wants to risk coming to Toronto.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

- If he can avoid serious injuries, he should still be an elite level sniper at at that point in time. He takes extremely good care of himself away from the rink, unlike the last sniper on our roster.

- Again, if he has the good fortune to avoid career threatening injury, he should still be a considerable threat offensively in his early 30's.

- As far as the Leafs are concerned, it shouldn't be considered a waste of his prime years. It should be considered the seizing of an opportunity that is unprecedented in this league; the ability to acquire a player of Stamkos' calibre at a young age without giving up significant assets. As for Stamkos, only he could answer that question, but I don't think he would consider playing here if he thought the organization wasn't on the cusp of being competitive while he can still play at a high level.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Also, consider that the Leafs have cleared so much cap room in the past 12 months that they can actually go out and sign a Stamkos and a couple other high profile additions, stir in 3-4 blue chip prospects (Nylander, Marner, 2016, 2017) and you might have something of a massive turning point in short order.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If a sign-and-trade was arranged, doesn't the team acquiring the contract have the option to bypass any NTC/NMC? It seems like something that might be risky for Stamkos, who you would think would be looking for as much security as possible, particularly if he were headed to Toronto.

Maybe I'm wrong though, or we could still honour it.

Not exactly

could they not have a stipulation in the contract, that in year 1, there is a limited NTC where Stammer has to list 1 team he will accept to?

because IIRC, being traded to a team on your limited list, does NOT make your ntc clause null and void, going forward.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stamkos' bank account will be the primary driver for him to sign anywhere.

If everyone offers him 10 and the a leafs offer him 11-12+ he will come here.

What matters is - how does that cap hit impact the Leafs competitiveness.

I'm leaning towards the "sign him" side of the debate, but it's going to cost the a leafs a fortune. There is absolutely no way his agent lets him give the Leafs anything resembling a discount.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Whether we hear it's unlikely he comes here, or we hear that this is his #1 choice, it's all speculation. Really, we don't know which way Stamkos is leaning. Unless he comes out and says it, which he won't, we really don't know. Nobody knows except Stamkos himself. He may not even know either, haha.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004

The bolded is the big concern here; just when Mitch, Willie, etc. are, hopefully, hitting their stride, will Stamkos be going into decline? If he is, then that's a bad thing for the leafs to have to deal with. I know the thought of Stamkos playing for the Leafs is thrilling. If he comes in, becomes the Captain and Leads us to a Cup one day in the next 6 years, that would be history making and he qualifies to go to Legends Row.

Before the Leafs sign him though; they better look before they leap and clearly recognize the risks that are there. It's not all black and white; there are lots of grey areas.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I would say that the road to contender status is process driven, so if we actually get there in 3-4 years, a 30 year old Stamkos would have had a role to play in that.

In 5 years time, Stamkos will be about 31. Looking around the league, 31 year olds like Perry, Getzlaf, Weber look like they're still very much alive and looking to compete for cups.

Finally, I have no idea what Stamkos wants to risk coming to Toronto.

If you are going to sign someone into their 30s, (Although it would be early 30s) than a Stamkos type is the type you target. Only the work horses seem to still be able to produce into the 30s. Biggest reason I was so happy to get rid of Kessel..... Kessel is not a player I see being productive into his 30s.

I would not be concerned with his age at all. That contract will hurt, but it's very manageable now without Phaneuf, and I am talking 3+ years... not next year... That was my biggest concern, and it is no longer a concern. We got all the cap we want.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Stamkos' bank account will be the primary driver for him to sign anywhere.

If everyone offers him 10 and the a leafs offer him 11-12+ he will come here.

What matters is - how does that cap hit impact the Leafs competitiveness.

I'm leaning towards the "sign him" side of the debate, but it's going to cost the a leafs a fortune. There is absolutely no way his agent lets him give the Leafs anything resembling a discount.

In the end, his agent will do what Stamkos ultimately wants, or, they risk being fired and replaced. So, if Stamkos wants the Leafs, and, Leafs want him, and, they both can agree to contract dollars and term, then, he signs! Simple as that.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The bolded is the big concern here; just when Mitch, Willie, etc. are, hopefully, hitting their stride, will Stamkos be going into decline? If he is, then that's a bad thing for the leafs to have to deal with. I know the thought of Stamkos playing for the Leafs is thrilling. If he comes in, becomes the Captain and Leads us to a Cup one day in the next 6 years, that would be history making and he qualifies to go to Legends Row.

Before the Leafs sign him though; they better look before they leap and clearly recognize the risks that are there. It's not all black and white; there are lots of grey areas.

Yes, massive risk no matter how you shape it.

However, 3-4 years = 29-30yo Stamkos........ That's still pretty young. (Current date, actually 28-29 to start season)

Just playing both sides, as I am still not 100% on how I feel about Stamkos.... I want him, yet don't like the figures I am hearing of 11-12mil/year.

Does Stamkos deserve to be the highest player in the NHL? I don't think so, however, when has a 26yo star hit UFA?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you are going to sign someone into their 30s, (Although it would be early 30s) than a Stamkos type is the type you target. Only the work horses seem to still be able to produce into the 30s. Biggest reason I was so happy to get rid of Kessel..... Kessel is not a player I see being productive into his 30s.

I would not be concerned with his age at all. That contract will hurt, but it's very manageable now without Phaneuf, and I am talking 3+ years... not next year... That was my biggest concern, and it is no longer a concern. We got all the cap we want.

People have become so age obsessed it's frightening. They're worried about a player like Stamkos in his early 30s? For context, Dion Phaneuf is 31. Makes $7 million, has 5 years left on his deal. Didn't have an issue moving on from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad