Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Everyone says Stamkos won't come because the Leafs are bad.

Isn't that the point of bringing him in? To make the team better lol. What a concept

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Just some random thoughts here:
  • The media obviously have no clue what's going on within the Leafs. See Babcock, Lou, the Dion Phaneuf trade. Maybe some of them might have some lines to Stamkos' camp, but I generally get the idea that he's not wanting to let people read into his cards too much.
  • Most teams that are already good, typically don't have all that much salary space left.

For the rest this just seems filler in an attempt to get page clicks while not really have anything of value to say.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks or the summer, but I'm not exactly putting a lot of stock in articles like these.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Isn't that the point of bringing him in? To make the team better lol. What a concept

They bring up a valid point. How do you weigh being the hometown hero vs. playing for a winning team right away? Some players will choose the hometown hero, others will choose a winning team. Let's be honest, losing sucks. It's emotionally draining even in beer league, let alone the NHL.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is the thing that always makes me want to rage.

_________ wants to go to a winner. SO why would he want to go to [insert team that's not a winner]. He wants to win a Cup.

well. obviously. but my argument is always going to be - even if you are in the 16 teams that make the playoffs, only 1 team can win. and crazy, crazy things ALWAYS happen. for example: if I told you that Florida would be near the top of the league, leading their division, New Jersey is in a playoff spot, Anaheim was dead last i the league for a great portion of the season and Nashville is out as of Today.

choosing a "winner" in the summer, is all well in good, but that "winner" easily could be part of the 14 that don't make it.

Stamkos (or ANYONE) really could be one of those pieces that could help the Leafs be a Devils (who is doing it with sustainable aspects and aren't a Leafs/Colorado/Calgary), and they can get better. faster (not in a "accelerated thing") - just as that means - we could get better faster if we had great support around our younger players.

be part of the solution i say.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They bring up a valid point. How do you weigh being the hometown hero vs. playing for a winning team right away? Some players will choose the hometown hero, others will choose a winning team. Let's be honest, losing sucks. It's emotionally draining even in beer league, let alone the NHL.

what guarantees a winning team to be a winning team?

all it takes is an injury, a bad/slow start, not working well together.... (shrug)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I am Stamkos, I would sign with a team that makes the most sense. A lot can change from now till July 1. If the Leafs have the right to draft Laine or Matthews, or Marner plays like Mario in the Memorial Cup, or Willie, Brown and Kapanen just completely destroy the CalderCup, all those would change the view of someone like Stamkos.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
This is the thing that always makes me want to rage.

_________ wants to go to a winner. SO why would he want to go to [insert team that's not a winner]. He wants to win a Cup.

well. obviously. but my argument is always going to be - even if you are in the 16 teams that make the playoffs, only 1 team can win. and crazy, crazy things ALWAYS happen. for example: if I told you that Florida would be near the top of the league, leading their division, New Jersey is in a playoff spot, Anaheim was dead last i the league for a great portion of the season and Nashville is out as of Today.

choosing a "winner" in the summer, is all well in good, but that "winner" easily could be part of the 14 that don't make it.

Stamkos (or ANYONE) really could be one of those pieces that could help the Leafs be a Devils (who is doing it with sustainable aspects and aren't a Leafs/Colorado/Calgary), and they can get better. faster (not in a "accelerated thing") - just as that means - we could get better faster if we had great support around our younger players.

be part of the solution i say.

Bingo!

Also, most of the best teams have no cap space

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IMO, Players of his ilk feel they can be difference makers. He would feel that any team he goes to will be instantly better and will become a winner sooner than later.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
what guarantees a winning team to be a winning team?

all it takes is an injury, a bad/slow start, not working well together.... (shrug)

Of course there are no guarantees, but you can make projections based on past performance and makeup of the roster. If I sign with NYI or Dallas, ok I'm not guaranteed to be part of a winner, but it would sure as hell be fun to play with Benn or Seguin or Tavares. Ditto Kane or Toews or Crosby or McDavid or Doughty or Karlsson. All things equal, I'd like to play for a team that has a roster good enough to make the playoffs when healthy.

The Leafs are not good as a committee. They have no individual superstars. They have a history of failure. It's not hard to see why they are such a bad option for anyone not from the Toronto area. If Stamkos chooses Toronto, much respect to him because he has great fortitude. And it could happen. We all know he grew up a Leaf fan. All I'm saying is it's understandable why the media would say there are better options out there.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Of course there are no guarantees, but you can make projections based on past performance and makeup of the roster. If I sign with NYI or Dallas, ok I'm not guaranteed to be part of a winner, but it would sure as hell be fun to play with Benn or Seguin or Tavares. Ditto Kane or Toews or Crosby or McDavid or Doughty or Karlsson. All things equal, I'd like to play for a team that has a roster good enough to make the playoffs when healthy.

The Leafs are not good as a committee. They have no individual superstars. They have a history of failure. It's not hard to see why they are such a bad option for anyone not from the Toronto area. If Stamkos chooses Toronto, much respect to him because he has great fortitude. And it could happen. We all know he grew up a Leaf fan. All I'm saying is it's understandable why the media would say there are better options out there.

right. but like i said -

be part of the solution.

why not be the magnet that attracts people to you?

the Leafs right now aren't good as a committee. but they'll have some really good potential star power in Nylander/Marner and as of right now the 2016 Draft Pick.

and i will always maintain - the biggest argument/trump card (especially with Babcock/Shanahan here now, because they're quietly pushing it) - but regardless:

you can "win"

or.

You can be part of THE TEAM that brings the cup to TORONTO.
that would always be my selling point. it comes with some stress - but it comes with some amazing perks as well.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Do you think babcock came here just for the money?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

the leafs are artificially bad because shanny/babs/lou understand we need to bottom out. they did literally nothing to make this team one bit better then they had to.

babs has the team being respectable, likeable, and hardworking despite being deadlast in the league. burke/nonis/carlyle couldnt do that. i think as early as next year the leafs could be a bubble playoff team if they get stamkos + matthews/a finn (i think all 3 will play in nhl in the first year).

leafs could roll out the following if everything works out

jvr-stamkos-matthews
michalek-bozak-leivo
komorov-nylander-marner
winnik-holland-vessey
lupul

rielly-hunwick
gardiner-zaitsev
percy-corrado
harrington

reimer
bernier/sparks

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
right. but like i said -

be part of the solution.

the Leafs right now aren't good as a committee. but they'll have some really good potential star power in Nylander/Marner and as of right now the 2016 Draft Pick.

and i will always maintain - the biggest argument/trump card (especially with Babcock/Shanahan here now, because they're quietly pushing it) - but regardless:

you can "win"

or.

that would always be my selling point. it comes with some stress - but it comes with some amazing perks as well.

I understand your point. He may very well think like you do. Or he might want to take the less stressful route and join a better team right off the bat. I have no idea how he thinks. Only time will tell.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
No, I think he also came for the glory.

Everyone is different. I'd understand if Babcock or Stamkos went elsewhere, just as much as I'd understand if they came here.

oh for sure. sorry i wasn't really "arguing" with you :laugh: it's just that I read these reports (and it's never just about when we're bad i've always said it whenever player X talked about going to a "winner") - like. did you ever think, Player X that that team being a winner just needs YOU?!

i always say - there's
Winning. then there's Glory (which I think comes from winning a cup with an 06 team or team that has a long drought) - and then there's. TORONTO. (and I'll also add MONTREAL) in there.

I think the only think that would trump Cup #14 - would be Montreal's #25. and as of right now, #14 (because of the 50 years of sucking) that glory trumps #25 + 25+ year drought.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In addition to the hometown allure, I think it should also be pointed out that our club is already on the path to sustainable success, with a few key pieces already in place and many more promising prospects on the cusp of playing in the NHL. Yes, we still have several holes to fill on the roster, but it's certainly not a scenario in which Stamkos would be joining a team at rock bottom that is starting from scratch.

This is not a comparable situation to when Burke acquired Kessel, for example.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
!

oh for sure. sorry i wasn't really "arguing" with you :laugh: it's just that I read these reports (and it's never just about when we're bad i've always said it whenever player X talked about going to a "winner") - like. did you ever think, Player X that that team being a winner just needs YOU?!

i always say - there's
Winning. then there's Glory (which I think comes from winning a cup with an 06 team or team that has a long drought) - and then there's. TORONTO. (and I'll also add MONTREAL) in there.

I think the only think that would trump Cup #14 - would be Montreal's #25. and as of right now, #14 (because of the 50 years of sucking) that glory trumps #25 + 25+ year drought.

Oh, anyone who leads Toronto to their next cup will be a legend in this town for the rest of his life. It blows away anything you could do in Montreal. If Marner wins a cup for Toronto and Price wins a cup for Montreal, Marner will be the bigger legend by a country mile. We are a bigger market and we've suffered longer.

And if anyone ever wins us a cup by playing at the level of Gilmour in '93, he will get a statue as high as the CN Tower! His popularity would be the heights of Doug Gilmour + Wendel Clark + Mats Sundin + Roberto Alomar + Joe Carter + Josh Donaldson + Jose Bautista + Vince Carter combined!

And if McDavid is the one to do it by playing like Gilmour in '93? Oh, my head explodes just thinking about it!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I understand your point. He may very well think like you do. Or he might want to take the less stressful route and join a better team right off the bat. I have no idea how he thinks. Only time will tell.

I'm going to pile on and piggy back of off DJs post

I believe we landed Babcock with a combination of money and showing/explaining our go forward game plan.

I believe the same can happen with Stammer , seeing that we have extra cookies to add now , like

coach babcock
Marner , someone to play with Stammer in time?
2016 1rst
great cap situation starting in 2017
#1 C role
the C
advertising money
exchanging his US pay into CADs
hometown boy/playing for the leafs
new ownership and mandates
ownerships willingness to spend well on non cap issues
rabid/smart fan base
media put where they belong and that is , inconsequential, self serving know littles

idk bsb, things are starting to look shiny here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
In addition to the hometown allure, I think it should also be pointed out that our club is already on the path to sustainable success, with a few key pieces already in place and many more promising prospects on the cusp of playing in the NHL. Yes, we still have several holes to fill on the roster, but it's certainly not a scenario in which Stamkos would be joining a team at rock bottom that is starting from scratch.

This is not a comparable situation to when Burke acquired Kessel, for example.

Offensively we'll be a threat with the kids. The problem will be the blunders which come with inexperience. So really they need the D to be as good as they can be and solid tending.

I think a mix of youth with the most responsible defensively forwards we can find is the way to go. It's easier to usher in scoring winger prospects than any other position.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No, I think he also came for the glory.

Everyone is different. I'd understand if Babcock or Stamkos went elsewhere, just as much as I'd understand if they came here.

how about he was explained managements game plan and he liked it?

I would put that right there with what he got paid.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It actually quite amazing that for like 20plus yrs, the Leafs only really had like 5-7successful seasons. And yet, they never seem to be able to draft anyone who at anytime a top 10 players in the league or at their positions. Oh wait, they always seem to trade them away.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
right. but like i said -

be part of the solution.

you can "win"

or.

Exactly. This goes back to the whole LeBron in Cleveland idea which started this whole Stamkos mess in the first place.

Stamkos is going to come here and he's going to help bring along Kyrie Irving as a star player (Marner, Nylander, Rielly), while attracting other stars like Kevin Love (Future RFAs/UFAs like McDavid?!). That's the whole point. To want to go somewhere important and be the game changer. Not stay on a team that thinks Kucherov has surpassed you - true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad