will Johnny Gaudreau sign this offseason?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
He'll sign IF we sign Bill Arnold. His buddy. And we could trade for Kevin Hayes, the 3 have been the best line in hockey.

Maybe Turner Elson, 6th
For
Hayes

Then Gaudreau-3y EL 9.25 with 2.75 bonus
And Arnold 3y EL .925 bonus with .75 bonus

WDR357

Mar 18, 2009
Boston Area
I don't have a dog in this fight other than I live in Massachusetts and have seen Gaudreau enough. With the right players around him, he's a first liner. This is a kid who would be putting up 150 point numbers if he were playing Major Juniors. Size is the issue but there have been plenty of small guys make the show. He'll rarely initiate contact but he's learned his entire playing career how to create open ice for himself and avoid contact. Assuming he is able to remain healthy, I'd guess 80 plus points a year, at least 30 plus goals. And the Arnold kid is no slouch either. Give him a year in the A, maybe a year or two on the 3rd or 4th lines and he should turn out to be a solid 2nd liner. Arnold is an absolute beast on the boards. Both could become better skaters but as someone pointed out, most players can coming out of college. Gaudreau has already made big advances in that area since his freshmen year. Calgary has kind of become a laughing stock in the NHL but you seem to have some great prospects only a year or two away.

People who don't think Gaudreau will make it because he's too small have little concept of his skill level, particularly his hockey IQ.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He'll sign IF we sign Bill Arnold. His buddy. And we could trade for Kevin Hayes, the 3 have been the best line in hockey.

Maybe Turner Elson, 6th
For
Hayes

Then Gaudreau-3y EL 9.25 with 2.75 bonus
And Arnold 3y EL .925 bonus with .75 bonus

Hawks love Hayes, they're not giving up anything for Elson and a 6th.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Hawks love Hayes, they're not giving up anything for Elson and a 6th.

Stan Bo "reached" for Hayes in the 1st round. You're absolutely right that Chicago likes Hayes. He almost had a career ending leg injury last year and has only gotten better this year. Warrior.

That being said :)laugh:), would Calgary be interested in dealing for Hayes to reunite the BC line? The Hawks are so deep on the NHL squad and in the minors that they are bound to trade some prospects (most likely Pirri or Morin before Hayes). Just wondering what you think KHayes would fetch.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Stan Bo "reached" for Hayes in the 1st round. You're absolutely right that Chicago likes Hayes. He almost had a career ending leg injury last year and has only gotten better this year. Warrior.

That being said :)laugh:), would Calgary be interested in dealing for Hayes to reunite the BC line? The Hawks are so deep on the NHL squad and in the minors that they are bound to trade some prospects (most likely Pirri or Morin before Hayes). Just wondering what you think KHayes would fetch.

Id love to add him, problem is I dunno if we could make it worth Chicago's while..something based around one of Cammy or Stempniak?

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Id love to add him, problem is I dunno if we could make it worth Chicago's while..something based around one of Cammy or Stempniak?

Is Cammalleri a legitimate #2 center in the NHL still? Hawks have a huge hole there where he could fit. Problem is Chicago has minimal cap room. Calgary would have to eat some major salary or else take back a bad contract like Bickell in the process. I don't know if that is worth KHayes.

I don't see Stempniak as a fit on wing. The Hawks traded for Versteeg earlier this year and my guess is they are done on the wing unless they could get a significant upgrade somewhere.

If they get word from KHayes camp (haven't heard anything) that he doesn't want to sign I could see the Hawks moving him for a decent prospect who has a couple years of development left (maybe another NCAA guy) and a lower draft pick. Hopefully Chicago doesn't have to worry about this. There are already a lot of guys ahead of him on the pecking order who have already paid their dues in Rockford so maybe he might want an easier road to the NHL though...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is Cammalleri a legitimate #2 center in the NHL still? Hawks have a huge hole there where he could fit. Problem is Chicago has minimal cap room. Calgary would have to eat some major salary or else take back a bad contract like Bickell in the process. I don't know if that is worth KHayes.

Cammy has filled in at centre here, but he's mainly been a winger during his NHL career. He isn't the worst centre in the world, but I wouldn't want to rely on him there if you're chasing a cup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He is known to go beast mode in the playoffs though. :dunno:

Yeah, but I meant rely on him as a centre. His board work is good in the defensive end, but his positioning defensively can be suspect from what I've seen when he plays centre. That could be a big difference-maker on a cup contender in the playoffs.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's a tweet from that radio interview I heard 2 weeks ago on The Fan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sportsnet960/status/433623908193820672?screen_name=Sportsnet960

Al Morganti on #Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau: "I'm told that he feels he can't do anything more in college. He'll turn pro with Calgary."

The guys name I couldn't remember is Al Moganti. He's a national hockey analyst and I believe he resides in the Philly area. Again, he personally knows the Gaudreau family.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really believe everyone can stop worrying about whether or not he's going to sign in Calgary. Every indication he's ever said or reports coming from his family, and people that know him all point towards him wanting to be here with the Flames. Morganti believes once the Frozen 4 is completed, he will sign paper to pen with the Flames. And 100%, if he turns pro next year it will be with our organization.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really believe everyone can stop worrying about whether or not he's going to sign in Calgary. Every indication he's ever said or reports coming from his family, and people that know him all point towards him wanting to be here with the Flames. Morganti believes once the Frozen 4 is completed, he will sign paper to pen with the Flames. And 100%, if he turns pro next year it will be with our organization.

Even his aunt came on here to say he wanted to sign with Calgary. :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Yeah but if you wanted to hit free agency, would you come out and tell everyone that you're planning on ditching the organization that drafted you?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Schultz pretty much did.

And why Anaheim didn't trade him, we'll never know. Gaudreau gets to reap the rewards of summer development camps, as well as the spotlight with being a Flames (hockey market) prospect. If he was a Panthers prospect, nobody would care to interview him.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah but if you wanted to hit free agency, would you come out and tell everyone that you're planning on ditching the organization that drafted you?

All the reports that I have read seem to indicate that Gaudreau wants to turn pro next season. If this is going to happen it is going to be with the Calgary Flames, he has no other choice. He has hinted at this, as well his family and friends have also pretty much said that is what his intentions are.

Of course it is possible that he returns to college next year, plays out his final year of eligibility in the NCAA, and then attempts to sign with another team. But to those people that think that situation is likely, I can only go by the information that we have heard and everything indicates otherwise and that he wants to be a Calgary Flame.

I also find it unlikely that the reason he's played three seasons thus far in the NCAA is because he wants to play his fourth. Gaudreau is so small in stature that it is more likely to think that he is played this long in the NCAA so his body has had time to develop to the point in which he is able to physically turn pro.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
All the reports that I have read seem to indicate that Gaudreau wants to turn pro next season. If this is going to happen it is going to be with the Calgary Flames, he has no other choice. He has hinted at this, as well his family and friends have also pretty much said that is what his intentions are.

Of course it is possible that he returns to college next year, plays out his final year of eligibility in the NCAA, and then attempts to sign with another team. But to those people that think that situation is likely, I can only go by the information that we have heard and everything indicates otherwise and that he wants to be a Calgary Flame.

I also find it unlikely that the reason he's played three seasons thus far in the NCAA is because he wants to play his fourth. Gaudreau is so small in stature that it is more likely to think that he is played this long in the NCAA so his body has had time to develop to the point in which he is able to physically turn pro.

I'm hoping its true that he wants to stay. I believe he can make the Flames line-up in the fall given that Hudler can play RW, Cammy will be traded, and so will Stempniak. The only person he has to beat out in the top 6 will be Glencross and Baertschi, maybe Poirer and Granlund too. But Jones and Glencross are better suited for a checking role anyways.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm hoping its true that he wants to stay. I believe he can make the Flames line-up in the fall given that Hudler can play RW, Cammy will be traded, and so will Stempniak. The only person he has to beat out in the top 6 will be Glencross and Baertschi, maybe Poirer and Granlund too. But Jones and Glencross are better suited for a checking role anyways.

Have a tough time seeing him on the opening roster. This is not a prospect you want to rush, and while some guys can make the jump from NCAA to the NHL I don't see Johnny being ready in 6 months. See how he does on the Heat for a year and I think we'll get a clearer look at what type of player we really have.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have no doubts that JG thinks and sees the game at an NHL top 6 level now, his skill is probably as good if not better than anyone currently on our roster right now as well. We just have to see if his body can hold up to the rigors in this league. The good news is that he knows this as well, and he is very serious about being a professional hockey player. Hopefully he prepares his body so that happens.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
And why Anaheim didn't trade him, we'll never know. Gaudreau gets to reap the rewards of summer development camps, as well as the spotlight with being a Flames (hockey market) prospect. If he was a Panthers prospect, nobody would care to interview him.

Because no one would give up anything of value for the chance to sign him, knowing he could just walk away from the team he was traded to as well. Teams also knew they could try and sign him without giving up any assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad