will Johnny Gaudreau sign this offseason?

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
I have a feeling the guy doesn't want to play for the flames. The way i see it is if the guy really wanted to play in Calgary, then he would've signed last season when feaster offered him a contract. Im calling B.S on the whole " i want to play with my brother" excuse. Who turns down a NHL contract to play in college :S. I dunno maybe im over thinking things at the moment, but im not very optimistic about the whole situation. If he doesn't sign by the end of this season, then we might as well say bye bye to Gaudreau.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I have honestly zero reason to believe he won't sign. He's only finishing up college for a fall back plan (it'd be different if he was 6'2 200 pounds with the same skillset, IMO).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have a feeling the guy doesn't want to play for the flames. The way i see it is if the guy really wanted to play in Calgary, then he would've signed last season when feaster offered him a contract. Im calling B.S on the whole " i want to play with my brother" excuse. Who turns down a NHL contract to play in college :S. I dunno maybe im over thinking things at the moment, but im not very optimistic about the whole situation. If he doesn't sign by the end of this season, then we might as well say bye bye to Gaudreau.

You're under thinking things. He'll sign unless he really really enjoys his communications degree. He has as good a chance of being an impact player and getting to the NHL quickly here as anywhere else. If he doesn't want to sign with us, it means he won't get to play in the NHL until the fall of 2015. It's a long time to wait.

It was a perfectly rational decision for a guy of his size to not sign a pro contract last off-season. He didn't believe he could be a factor in the NHL unless he had the skill developed to overcome his size, or at least a slightly more developed frame. Given that fact, he would have anticipated that he would be in the AHL, where he could just as easily have his size taken advantage of by the big bruisers who play in that league. In addition, once it becomes a choice between the NCAA and the AHL, all of the factors like a chance at the NCAA Championship, a chance to play with his brother, and a huge chance to win the Hobey Baker become very much enough to swing the balance in favour of the NCAA.

Until we are given any indication otherwise, there is no reason to believe he is not committed to a future with the Flames. And if not, we'll likely find out before it becomes an issue and get a very good return for his rights.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He's so small he could very much be beaten around in the AHL. I'm not saying he will for sure sign, but it makes sense for an athlete that small to wait and see if he can put on more mass.

But Feaster did come off as a guy who could get a player to sign on the dotted line.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

The guy who has openly said, on numerous occasions, that he wants to finish his degree and that is his priority.

That's who.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This thread was made just to stir the pot IMO.

Feaster said if he wanted to turn pro last year, there was a contract ready. He just wanted to make sure he was happy with the Flames. In no way though was JG physically ready to play in the NHL this season, he very likely won't be ready next season either, he needs to add muscle mass and strength to his body. You cannot sign a pro contract and still play in the NCAA, that is the only reason he has not signed. Nothing he has ever said has ever given any sort of any indication he doesn't want to play here. In fact, in every single interview I have read/heard says quite the contrary. He sees that the Flames are giving young players a chance, he sees an opportunity to be an NHL player here, and he's excited about the direction we are moving towards and the chance for him to be an impact player for us. He would not get that same chance on a team like Boston for example. I'm sure he also likes the fact that his best friend Agostino is now a part of our organization.

He's as much of a lock to sign a pro deal with us this offseason as any other NCAA player is with their respective team. This was all created by the media for a story because he's a star college player and the Flames are a struggling franchise. With the Erixon fiasco relatively still fresh when this rumour originally broke, this was a another attempt by the media to create another scenario where we could lose a highly touted prospect.

It's all BS IMO. In essence, we are the perfect fit for him opportunity wise for him to begin his pro career.

Aug 3, 2010
Even if Gaudreau planned to not sign, an asset like him with his level of potential could still be traded to a club that doesn't want to vie with 29 other clubs trying to either re-draft or sign him. His play has definitely attracted the scouting departments of every team in the League since he was drafted.

Calgary might lose out a bit in the end but it's not like Gaudreau is a certainty to be the next Martin St Louis, either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The guy who has openly said, on numerous occasions, that he wants to finish his degree and that is his priority.

That's who.

Has he really, or are you thinking of Bill Arnold? I know for a fact that Gaudreau talked about the possibility of turning pro later this season if he had the chance (which he probably won't because BC is too good). If he was to do that, he wouldn't finish his degree.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Has he really, or are you thinking of Bill Arnold? I know for a fact that Gaudreau talked about the possibility of turning pro later this season if he had the chance (which he probably won't because BC is too good). If he was to do that, he wouldn't finish his degree.

I believe Weisbrod offered him a contract last offseason, Gaudreau discussed with his family what his best options were. I know he wants to be a pro player very badly, but I believe he and his family decided returning to BC this year was the best thing for him and his future. I cannot recall a specific mention of his degree.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

In his interview with the Fan960 a year or so ago (just after the Iginla trade?) he stated that that he'd talked it over with his dad and they thought his best course of action was to finish his four year college program before turning pro - for a number of reasons, one of which was to get his degree. But he wasn't adverse to going pro either.

Too lazy to find the link but pretty sure it's got to be online somewhere.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In his interview with the Fan960 a year or so ago (just after the Iginla trade?) he stated that that he'd talked it over with his dad and they thought his best course of action was to finish his four year college program before turning pro - for a number of reasons, one of which was to get his degree. But he wasn't adverse to going pro either.

According to this link from the Hockey News, he is expected to not return for his senior year. They claim that if he really wants the degree, he can complete it during subsequent summers.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't get why anyone is worried. He has given us no reason to doubt that he wants to come here (many players play all 4 years and almost all of them sign with their drafted teams) and has payed his own way here every offseason to come to training camp. Not only that but there isn't a team out there that could give him a better chance at money and a top position on the team. With no link to any real source this thread just seems like its trying to start a panic.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

That's who.

Came here to post this, glad to see someone beat me to it.

Fine with me - guarantees that he signs with us then.

Doesn't this confirm what JG's apparent "aunt" said earlier this season? Regarding him not returning for his senior year, that is.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013

Are you sure you're not thinking of Agostino? I'm pretty sure that's what his situation was to a tee.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think he finishes college and then signs. Actually I'd be shocked if he didn't finish his degree. He has a better chance of not making the NHL then making it and the degree would be a good fallback.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think he finishes college and then signs. Actually I'd be shocked if he didn't finish his degree. He has a better chance of not making the NHL then making it and the degree would be a good fallback.

Like the article says, signing a pro contract prevents him from playing for college, not finishing his degree there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly, I think JG doesn't have much more to prove hockey-wise in the NCAA. I understand the wanting to get the degree; he has a somewhat uncertain NHL physique and it would be crappy to not have something else to fall back on.

I think he'd look great one year in the AHL, getting the coaches to bulk him up in a year, also to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

Exciting stuff this, I think he signs in the off-season here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00