will Johnny Gaudreau sign this offseason?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was listening to the Fan this morning, they had this guy on and I can't remember his name or what exactly he does, but he works in hockey in the Philadelphia area. Anyways this guy knows Gaudreau and the family. The interview was basically about how Gaudreau and his family feel that he has nothing left to prove at the college-level, they said his plans are to sign a pro contract once the Frozen four is completed (for Boston college anyways), and with the Flames. He said the family is aware that the Flames have had some smaller guys in the past come up through their system and be successful in the NHL. I also think that they recognize what the situation in Calgary is and the opportunity that he has to play for the Flames.

The one comment this guy did say was how he noted Gaudreau's high-end skill level. He was saying that if he's going to play pro next year he needs to be playing on the top line in Calgary so that he is in a position to succeed. He said that a player like him is utterly useless on the third or fourth line, which I agree with. However, I feel that his minutes on the top line may come in Abbotsford. Anyways it was a very encouraging interview that I listened to on the radio this morning.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I have no doubt JG will sign his first pro contract with us once his season is done. However BC is #1 in the rankings and looks to go far this year. Not sure if he'll finish in time for the NHL, could join Abby for their playoff run though which would be SICK, hopefully along with Arnold and Agostino

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was listening to the Fan this morning, they had this guy on and I can't remember his name or what exactly he does, but he works in hockey in the Philadelphia area. Anyways this guy knows Gaudreau and the family. The interview was basically about how Gaudreau and his family feel that he has nothing left to prove at the college-level, they said his plans are to sign a pro contract once the Frozen four is completed (for Boston college anyways), and with the Flames. He said the family is aware that the Flames have had some smaller guys in the past come up through their system and be successful in the NHL. I also think that they recognize what the situation in Calgary is and the opportunity that he has to play for the Flames.

The one comment this guy did say was how he noted Gaudreau's high-end skill level. He was saying that if he's going to play pro next year he needs to be playing on the top line in Calgary so that he is in a position to succeed. He said that a player like him is utterly useless on the third or fourth line, which I agree with. However, I feel that his minutes on the top line may come in Abbotsford. Anyways it was a very encouraging interview that I listened to on the radio this morning.
Great news.

I don't think high end skill guys are useless in a bottom 6 role, but they need to be big for sure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So excited to see him play for the Heats playoff run.

He's the most talked about U.S. prospect there is, and he's likely the best one to. I can't wait to see him either, I honestly believe he should ranked equally to Monahan on our prospect rankings. He's the best college player there has been for quite sometime.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I totally agree. Throwing him to the wolves on the top line with the Flames, fresh out of college is a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe give him a taste at the end of this season if the timing works out, but I don't think expecting him to step in an play on the flames 1st line in his rookie pro season is realistic at all.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He's the most talked about U.S. prospect there is, and he's likely the best one to. I can't wait to see him either, I honestly believe he should ranked equally to Monahan on our prospect rankings. He's the best college player there has been for quite sometime.

He is vastly more skilled than Monahan, but Monahan has a ridiculously high hockey IQ, and you can't teach that. Given Monahans size, and position hes easily the better prospect imo.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He is vastly more skilled than Monahan, but Monahan has a ridiculously high hockey IQ, and you can't teach that. Given Monahans size, and position hes easily the better prospect imo.

>using hockey iq against JG
>Mfw I have no face

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

They're very different players, and Monahan's bust factor is almost non existent. I'd say he projects to be a top line center that has good size, good on draws, very good playmaking ability, has an accurate shot, and great in his own end. Basically he's somewhere in between a Toews and Bergeron. He bottoms out as 2C.

Gaudreau is nothing like that. He's actually quite good in his own by using his IQ to make good reads and create turnovers, but he's known for his offensive ability which is off the charts. I think both have franchise player potential for very different reasons.

Using HF's style of rankings, I'd rate Monahan an 8.0B, and Gaudreau an 8.5C. I think their value to the Flames is close to par for their potential, which is why I have them rated equal.

Not disagreeing with you, most would agree with you, but I just think a ton about Gaudreau, I think he's going to be very special as will Monahan.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I would be willing to see Gaudreau play first line minutes in Abbotsford, but never in Calgary right off the bat, he would be eaten alive. And yeah, he would pretty much be useless in a bottom-six role on any roster. He's a point-scorer - admittedly somewhat one-dimensional as far as what he brings to the table goes, but that single dimension to his game is off the charts in terms of what others can do. There's also the fact that while his game is one-dimensional, his actual offensive skillset is anything but. He is probably our best prospect in the system right now, better even than Baertschi.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
JG has the ability to make players around him better. That in itself is a skill set not many can 'learn'.

They could potentially be a decent line combo together.

I have full belief that Monahan is our very best prospect/young player in the org.

This kid will be on his 3rd season in the NHL by his 21st birthday. He has so much more to offer. A line mate like JG is exactly what he will need.

As for JG, I think you give him NHL games this year if the schedule works out (BC eliminated early) to give him something to gauge the level of play, then demote him at seasons end for the Heats playoff run.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still think Sven is a great prospect, he would easily be the top prospect in half of the teams in the NHL. But the fact is we drafted Monahan and with how JG has been performing this year, I feel personally he has passed him and has a higher ceiling. I still believe Baertschi will be a 65-75pt winger which is amazing! Like Backlund, he has much to learn about competing and playing consistently. His defensive game also needs lots of work, more than Backlund's ever did obviously, but his offensive upside is superior.

Man if Backlund keeps this up, Monahan hits his ceiling (which I feel is likely), then JG and Sven figure it out and succeed in a top 6 role, we'll have an impressive group. That doesn't even include who we draft this year, and guys like Poirier, Klimchuk and Jankowski.

Aug 3, 2010
I would be willing to see Gaudreau play first line minutes in Abbotsford, but never in Calgary right off the bat, he would be eaten alive. And yeah, he would pretty much be useless in a bottom-six role on any roster. He's a point-scorer - admittedly somewhat one-dimensional as far as what he brings to the table goes, but that single dimension to his game is off the charts in terms of what others can do. There's also the fact that while his game is one-dimensional, his actual offensive skillset is anything but. He is probably our best prospect in the system right now, better even than Baertschi.

While it's true that his potential offensive ceiling is incredibly high, I really feel like you haven't watched him play a game live let alone listen to his interviews.

I would not call him one-dimensional.

He has been making a great effort to be much more reliable without the puck in his own zone. He has worked extensively with his coach who desires him to play a better two-way game, and Gaudreau himself has credited his coach in interviews stating this fact.

Watching him play it's obvious that he isn't a particular weak spot when playing defence. In fact, if you have been reading any of the posts about Gaudreau you will note that for all his ability his biggest knack against him is solely his size. His skating is acceptable (could still use a little work but that is usually the case with prospects) and he is almost never criticized for making the poor defensive play or lack of effort in his own zone.

He might not be the next Pavel Datsyuk but one-dimensional he is not.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Depends who get their queen to the other side of the board making a double queen who is practically invincible.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd say their IQ's are pretty similar, in fact I think they're ideal linemates. Monahan is a fairly similar player to Arnold, but a more impressive version at pretty much everything.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Man I hope that Hobey Baker curse doesn't end up applying to him.
The reason why that is a thing is often the HB winner is a senior and most college players who become stars in the NHL don't stay for a full 4 years. Johnny winning the Hobey as a junior really doesn't mean anything in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad