will Johnny Gaudreau sign this offseason?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly, I think JG doesn't have much more to prove hockey-wise in the NCAA. I understand the wanting to get the degree; he has a somewhat uncertain NHL physique and it would be crappy to not have something else to fall back on.

I think he'd look great one year in the AHL, getting the coaches to bulk him up in a year, also to see what he can do against stiffer competition.

Exciting stuff this, I think he signs in the off-season here.

He really doesn't have anything left to prove. He's already mastered that level of competition, so he's not being challenged doing another season. I hope he signs and plays in the AHL next year.

Screw a degree. Nothing in communications will pay you 900K a year, plus he has the pure raw skill to be a 6 million dollar star and maybe even have a hall of fame career

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He really doesn't have anything left to prove. He's already mastered that level of competition, so he's not being challenged doing another season. I hope he signs and plays in the AHL next year.

Screw a degree. Nothing in communications will pay you 900K a year, plus he has the pure raw skill to be a 6 million dollar star and maybe even have a hall of fame career

Maybe he could average 3PPG next season?

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
can you imagine the chemistry they will have if they come up through the ranks together, NCAA > AHL > NHL I dont think I can name another dynamic duo that would have done that.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Burke mentioned in one of the dozens of talks he gave last month that most of the good NCAA players leave after their second or third year. And by the sounds of his recent interviews, Gaudreau seems to be thinking on the same lines.

But if he doesn't sign in the off season, I fully expect him to be trade bait. Way too much risk otherwise.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Like the article says, signing a pro contract prevents him from playing for college, not finishing his degree there.

I know that. Right now he needs to bulk up. If he signs with the Flames he might at best get a handful of games in the NHL while spending the majority of the time in the AHL. Hes not NHL ready and shouldnt be rushed. And the one thing we all know about Burke is that he isnt afraid to let prospects develop in the minors. That said, he might as well play out his last college year, get his degree and spend the time between games in the gym. Hes not going to gain any weight with an AHL schedule.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know that. Right now he needs to bulk up. If he signs with the Flames he might at best get a handful of games in the NHL while spending the majority of the time in the AHL. Hes not NHL ready and shouldnt be rushed. And the one thing we all know about Burke is that he isnt afraid to let prospects develop in the minors. That said, he might as well play out his last college year, get his degree and spend the time between games in the gym. Hes not going to gain any weight with an AHL schedule.

I don't think there's any way we can really know that until we see him.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
The notion that Gaudreau should stay for his senior year just so he can bulk up is ridiculous (and I'm sure his grueling Comms degree can be finished up over the course of a few summers). This guy hasn't been challenged like... ever. He's been told he's too short since he was a kid, but he has never really faced much adversity. He stomped the USHL and won the Clarke Cup, Rookie of the Year, All-Star, etc. Then he goes to BC and in his first season manages to find his way on to the top line after getting cut from the WJC team (really the only 'hardship' he's faced), wins Hockey East and the NCAA championship. He comes back in his sophomore year and wins WJC gold and is named a tournament all star. He comes back from the WJC and stomps the NCAA and is a Hobey Baker nominee (and he likely would have won were it not for his lack of seniority). And now he is on a 2.0 PPG tear which is unheard of in the 21st century NCAA.

Gaudreau is a legend in Boston and New Jersey. He has had numerous appearances in the Boston Globe, has been the subject of an ungodly amount of articles and internet talk. Yeah he's small, but he is so ridiculously gifted that it isn't a reach to say everything has come easy to him up until this point. I want to see him in the AHL against pros. I wouldn't mind seeing him get knocked around a bit. If this kid is as much of a gamer as everyone seems to think he is, he'll battle through it and get stronger. He doesn't need any more praise or accolades; he needs a challenge.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The notion that Gaudreau should stay for his senior year just so he can bulk up is ridiculous (and I'm sure his grueling Comms degree can be finished up over the course of a few summers). This guy hasn't been challenged like... ever. He's been told he's too short since he was a kid, but he has never really faced much adversity. He stomped the USHL and won the Clarke Cup, Rookie of the Year, All-Star, etc. Then he goes to BC and in his first season manages to find his way on to the top line after getting cut from the WJC team (really the only 'hardship' he's faced), wins Hockey East and the NCAA championship. He comes back in his sophomore year and wins WJC gold and is named a tournament all star. He comes back from the WJC and stomps the NCAA and is a Hobey Baker nominee (and he likely would have won were it not for his lack of seniority). And now he is on a 2.0 PPG tear which is unheard of in the 21st century NCAA.

Gaudreau is a legend in Boston and New Jersey. He has had numerous appearances in the Boston Globe, has been the subject of an ungodly amount of articles and internet talk. Yeah he's small, but he is so ridiculously gifted that it isn't a reach to say everything has come easy to him up until this point. I want to see him in the AHL against pros. I wouldn't mind seeing him get knocked around a bit. If this kid is as much of a gamer as everyone seems to think he is, he'll battle through it and get stronger. He doesn't need any more praise or accolades; he needs a challenge.

Good post, but I'm wondering... when you say "would have won" are you referring to last year? Because he's still very much a favourite this year despite not being a senior.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Good post, but I'm wondering... when you say "would have won" are you referring to last year? Because he's still very much a favourite this year despite not being a senior.

Yes, I am referring to last year. Drew Leblanc had 50 points in 42 games, while Johnny had 51 points in 35 games. Yeah, stats aren't everything but many thought Gaudreau to be the better player. This season though, there's no question about it - Gaudreau's winning the Hobey Baker.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
The Hobey has to be his its really a no brainer. 2ppg and points in 27 of 28 games played is pretty impressive.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I like to picture Arny and JG as best friends. If Arnold can be a better center than Jankowski, which it looks like with JG on his wing, then we could have the best chemistry in the league. Now we need Hayes. What a wonderful thing that would be...

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Yes, I am referring to last year. Drew Leblanc had 50 points in 42 games, while Johnny had 51 points in 35 games. Yeah, stats aren't everything but many thought Gaudreau to be the better player. This season though, there's no question about it - Gaudreau's winning the Hobey Baker.

FWIW, Leblanc isn't scoring much in the AHL and may well be a fringe NHL player, at best

Trae

Calgary
I like the notion of a fall back plan being an excuse, he can complete his degree during the summer, and even then, a 3 year entry level contract, as sad as it is, would pay him more than he would make in 20-30 years with his degree, so I hardly think its a huge factor lol.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Hey guys, Oiler fan coming in peace.

Not the least bit surprised he stayed for junior year. A shot at the Hobey and an NCAA championship is nothing to sneeze at. I follow a lot of college hockey (my bro plays down there), and it's a great way to put on mass while playing (less of a grinding schedule). Players in other leagues tend to lose mass over the year due to the grind, but I've heard of lots of guys putting it on while playing NCAA. Have seen him play a couple times this year and he looks unreal at that level offensively (which is crazy because college is pretty defensive hockey). Just my 2 cents. I think he can be a decent NHL player, not bad for a guy who weighs like 160lbs haha.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
JG has zero chance of cracking any roster in the league outside of Calgary, Edmonton and maybe Buffalo. Regardless of his size. He's to big of a gamble outside of this organization to take up a roster spot, and I'm sure he knows this.

One thing Calgary has, that most teams don't, is opportunity. For ice time, for development, for becoming a cornerstone in the rebuild.

I am almost certain he signs here, as soon as his season is over and you see him in the line up before the season is over.

JG has to know his best chance of becoming an NHL player is with Calgary.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
JG has zero chance of cracking any roster in the league outside of Calgary, Edmonton and maybe Buffalo. Regardless of his size. He's to big of a gamble outside of this organization to take up a roster spot, and I'm sure he knows this.

One thing Calgary has, that most teams don't, is opportunity. For ice time, for development, for becoming a cornerstone in the rebuild.

I am almost certain he signs here, as soon as his season is over and you see him in the line up before the season is over.

Successful franchises create that opportunity regardless of standing. See San Jose with Hertl and Neito, Tampa Bay with Killorn, Palat, Barberio, and Gudas, Anaheim with Lindholm and Vatanen, etc.

Teams can't afford to ice veteran only rosters anymore if they wish to maintain success.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

???? Based on what?

I have had junior players tell me personally that they tanked their interview with the Flames on purpose at the draft combine. The reason is that Flames draft picks as a rule DO NOT make the NHL. Players and player agents notice things like that.

There are more Calgary Hitmen alumni in the NHL than Heat/Knights alumni. Meaning that a Calgary Hitmen is actually closer to the NHL than a player on the Heat.

No junior/collegiate player thinks that the best way to become an NHLer is through the Flames. Not one.

But they do seem to be slowly changing things though. But the changes don't mean anything until they actually start drafting/developing players into the NHL. Hopefully in a few seasons at least half the roster will be homegrown.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Burke mentioned in one of the dozens of talks he gave last month that most of the good NCAA players leave after their second or third year. And by the sounds of his recent interviews, Gaudreau seems to be thinking on the same lines.

But if he doesn't sign in the off season, I fully expect him to be trade bait. Way too much risk otherwise.

Even if he does go back to school there isn't a whole lot of risk. Drafted players that complete all four years of college can't become Unrestricted Free Agents until August 15th. By than, most rosters are filled up, and he'd have missed all the development camps, prospect tourneys, training recomendations, etc. Put him way behind the 8-ball than others vying for a spot.

Its not the same situation as Schultz/Wheeler where they could become UFAs July 1st.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
???? Based on what?

I have had junior players tell me personally that they tanked their interview with the Flames on purpose at the draft combine. The reason is that Flames draft picks as a rule DO NOT make the NHL. Players and player agents notice things like that.

There are more Calgary Hitmen alumni in the NHL than Heat/Knights alumni. Meaning that a Calgary Hitmen is actually closer to the NHL than a player on the Heat.

No junior/collegiate player thinks that the best way to become an NHLer is through the Flames. Not one.

But they do seem to be slowly changing things though. But the changes don't mean anything until they actually start drafting/developing players into the NHL. Hopefully in a few seasons at least half the roster will be homegrown.
Corban Knight.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But instead of giving him a chance, we've done what? Sign Westgarth, Colborne, and called up Street?

Bringing him up to play fourth line minutes wouldn't exactly be giving him a chance. In Abbotsford, he has a chance to play in a scoring and leadership role and develop his game. I'm sure he doesn't regret his decision, because he's still closer to the NHL than he would have been even in Florida.

EDIT: He also was given a chance to make the team out of the pre-season and squandered it by not playing up to the level he was probably capable. He was outplayed by Ben Street.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad