Post-Game Talk: Wild vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wouldn't pre-season be the time to try this out?

There are still 6 games left.

Maurice reasoning from his pressers (paraphrasing) - the team missed the playoffs, they don't have the luxury of waiting (shuffling combos in preseason) He wants to run LSW for a while. That doesn't leave time your option. He wants the lines to have chemistry early.

This is part of the win now attitude. What you suggest may happen organically at some point, but it's not going to happen by choice any time soon IMO. They seem to have given Connor one job in preseason. Play a solid two way game. Concentrate on the defensive side of your game. Don't worry about PP for now because hat's not how you are going to make this team. IMO this is keeping it simple for him. He knows what he needs to do. Once he gets over this hurdle, added responsibility (PP) will probably happen soon enough.

Of course if there are going to be 15 PP's per game the Jets may choose to give him some PP time sooner if they think it helps them win.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
He has the best metrics on the whole team. There's no evidence he struggles to "keep up" The evidence suggest he drives the play forward.

Which is a good reason to have Perreault replace Conner on the 3rd line, He doesn't hurt us defensively but could help Lowry and Armia offensively.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Which is a good reason to have Perreault replace Conner on the 3rd line, He doesn't hurt us defensively but could help Lowry and Armia offensively.

He'll play more if he plays with Little and Ehlers. Play your best players more

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
You don't want Laine taking all the shots or teams will just leave someone on him all PP and then the other guys are gonna have to do something anyways.

That is pretty much the point. You DO want the other teams to concentrate fully on Laine. Then when there is this two-on-one situation at 5 vs 4, it means the rest of the PP team has 4 vs 2 situation.

Practically it leads to "sure goal". If you can't get the puck to Laine you just put it in to the net.

There is no point trying to _hide_ the fact that Laine is an enourmous risk for the opponent at PP. You need to enhance and market that risk.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg

IMO there should be more talk of Laine and Perreault together considering how dynamic they were as Chef's wingers last season, would allow us to spread the talent too.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Laine could shoot more than he does. He passes up some pretty decent looks IMO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
IMO there should be more talk of Laine and Perreault together considering how dynamic they were as Chef's wingers last season, would allow us to spread the talent too.

Might happen. Would mean Laine back to playing RW though

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
He'll play more if he plays with Little and Ehlers. Play your best players more

Can't argue with your reasoning but the risk is most of our offence will come from the top 6 with a offensive black hole with the bottom 6. Since Perreault will play a lot of minutes on the PP he'll still get his 16-18 minutes a game.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Can't argue with your reasoning but the risk is most of our offence will come from the top 6 with a offensive black hole with the bottom 6. Since Perreault will play a lot of minutes on the PP he'll still get his 16-18 minutes a game.

Or 30-35 if they call penalties like they did last night

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

People advocating for Connor & Roslovic.

Do you realize they are both unproven at this level?

Don't you think it would be "rushing" our prospects to hand them those roles without proving themselves?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
They had two practices and one GD skate. I doubt they worked much on special teams yet

I know, I guess it was just a quick reminder of how ugly the PP was last year. Just so disorganized almost like they're confused with what to do out there. They finally pass to Laine and he scores. They really need to work on setting that up faster, teams start to expect it and focus in on it, then the Jets look silly trying to make it happen over and over again.

Wish we had something better for the third line other than Armia/Copp/Lowry/etc. It would make an amazing fourth line for us, but I feel we need something more on that third line and it could have easily been upgraded. One more small piece could have given us four great lines imo.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
This year it could be worth having a dedicated PP line that can play 15 minutes a night of just PP. Perfect for someone like Petan. Try it out in preseason at least.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The jets went 22.2% on the pp last night. Would've been good for 7th in the NHL last season....

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
People advocating for Connor & Roslovic.

Do you realize they are both unproven at this level?

Don't you think it would be "rushing" our prospects to hand them those roles without proving themselves?

Never mentioned Roslovic and believe he will be better served with one more full year with the moose. As for Conner he can't prove himself as a good NHL player unless he plays in the NHL. I see no reason why the Jets not to try him with Little and Ehlers for a while if he succeeds great if he can't then send him down the lineup or back to the moose.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Never mentioned Roslovic and believe he will be better served with one more full year with the moose. As for Conner he can't prove himself as a good NHL player unless he plays in the NHL. I see no reason why the Jets not to try him with Little and Ehlers for a while if he succeeds great if he can't then send him down the lineup or back to the moose.

Others have him at 3c

As far as Connor goes. You are hoping he can do that role. Win now is what they are trying to do. If Connor shows his stuff he may get that role eventually. I don't think giving it to him now fits the 'win now' philosophy. Let him earn it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Others have him at 3c

As far as Connor goes. You are hoping he can do that role. Win now is what they are trying to do. If Connor shows his stuff he may get that role eventually. I don't think giving it to him now fits the 'win now' philosophy. Let him earn it.

There is some merit to having to earn the right to do something but I find that sometimes too much emphasis is given to merit and seniority at the expense of doing what's best for the team. For instannce last year it seemed that a known garbage penalty killer in stuart was spoon fed time on tge Pk whereas a young talented kid Morrissey seemed to have to earn the right over half the season before he got regular PK time. That is one instance of when deferring to seniority hurt the team.

There are arguments to be made for Connor to start in the bottom 6 and work his way up but there are also arguments with regards to spreading the talent around to create a more dangerous lineup top through bottom. Last night we looked incredibly top heavy and imo if our bottom 6 is struggling to score that will be an issue. Now it's incredibly early so things likely turn around but I think there needs to be the correct balance between earning something and putting the best pieces possible together in order to maximize the roster.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree. In terms of raw pace, and ability, Connor and Ehlers are pretty much unmatched by the rest of the Jets. Ehlers and Connor both are creative heads up players while moving faster than most NHL'rs can skate flat out head down and pumping. it could be glorious.

The point is that all our our top 6 players - and a few that can't make the top 6, are better when playing with Ehlers.

Ehlers' speed buys space for his linemates. If Connor can use his speed the same way, we have 2 lines doing that.

Doesn't mean that Ehlers and Connor wouldn't be great together.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There is some merit to having to earn the right to do something but I find that sometimes too much emphasis is given to merit and seniority at the expense of doing what's best for the team. For instannce last year it seemed that a known garbage penalty killer in stuart was spoon fed time on tge Pk whereas a young talented kid Morrissey seemed to have to earn the right over half the season before he got regular PK time. That is one instance of when deferring to seniority hurt the team.

There are arguments to be made for Connor to start in the bottom 6 and work his way up but there are also arguments with regards to spreading the talent around to create a more dangerous lineup top through bottom. Last night we looked incredibly top heavy and imo if our bottom 6 is struggling to score that will be an issue. Now it's incredibly early so things likely turn around but I think there needs to be the correct balance between earning something and putting the best pieces possible together in order to maximize the roster.

I think it's pretty much impossible to judge that line in any meaningful way from the game last nigh. They had so few shifts. I would think that they will be demonstrating what they can do to the coaching staff and the fans in attendance at TC. They will be battling against the Scheifele & Little lines. If it's working there (I have no idea if it is or isn't) there's no reason it can't work in real games.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he plays RD as the preference or the majority of the time with the Moose. With the Jets it all depends on why he's up, if Enstrom is hurt ( when? )or Morrissey or Kulikov he's the guy slotting in there imo.

His shoulder surgeries have impacted his shot, he's always been really good at getting that on net and through traffic but he has a hard heavy shot that we aren't seeing currently.

I think we see Chiarot slot in at LD before Poolman. I think Poolman is first call up RD though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's pretty much impossible to judge that line in any meaningful way from the game last nigh. They had so few shifts. I would think that they will be demonstrating what they can do to the coaching staff and the fans in attendance at TC. They will be battling against the Scheifele & Little lines. If it's working there (I have no idea if it is or isn't) there's no reason it can't work in real games.

The first two days where spent predominantly on defensive schemes or starting in the dzone so probably not that surprising that the play in the ozone looked a bit disjointed. They didn't do anything off the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad