Post-Game Talk: Wild vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd like to see Stanley get into one more game as Myers partner in a bottom 4 type of role.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People advocating for Connor & Roslovic.

Do you realize they are both unproven at this level?

Don't you think it would be "rushing" our prospects to hand them those roles without proving themselves?

They don't necessarily prove themselves for one thing by doing another. It isn't rushing them if you put them in that role and they succeed. TC is the time to try it.

I'm not advocating putting them together but there is a difference between pushing a player into a role (rushing) and allowing him a shot at a role (giving him opportunity).

I don't advocate Connor on the 2nd line with Little and Ehlers either. Not enough experience on those wings. With Little and Wheeler it would be a different proposition.

When Roslovic is ready he will be 3C. That may not be this year. If he does win that job it might be another argument in favour of Connor - Little - Wheeler. Perreault would add experience to the Roslovic line.

I don't understand Maurice's determination to build chemistry on an LSW line when he already has plenty of chemistry in other combinations in the top 6. Ehlers-Scheif and Little-Wheeler for example.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's really too bad they couldn't sign a 3C like it was rumoured Chevy was looking for.

I feel like Connor Lowry Armia won't work great as a third. I get the idea of putting Connor with two defense first guys, but both of them score at a 4th line rate, putting all the scoring pressure on the rookie. If we had a better option at 3C or 3RW then that would work with either one of Lowry/Armia. That's why I get why some people want to swap Connor and Perreault, giving that line an extra boost to try and spread the talent throughout the top 9.

I can also understand the desire to play your best guys top 6, and giving Connor time to work his way into the top 6. But to do that I believe we need a different composition for the third line than CLA. I'm really hoping Petan has a solid camp and can be that guy, even on the right side: Connor-Lowry-Petan, if Petan can even remotely drive play along with some scoring that could be a solid third.

Otherwise it looks like we're waiting until Roslovic makes the jump until we have a solid top 9.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yes, but the point is that you want Laine to take pretty much all the shots. I'm not saying the PP should not be creative, but if Laine is open, you pass to Laine. If you don't like it, get the hell out of the PP.

He IS supposed to give it to Laine every time, within reason of course. It's not because we want to pad Laine's stats. It's because he gives the team the best possibility to score.

There is nothing wrong with shooting from the point through traffic. But you DONT do that if Laine is open right next to you. It's just not smart for the team.

My approach would be to have Laine in that spot ALL the time, try and give him 90 seconds on the PP too when appropriate. If he's open, pass it to him, if he isn't you use your other threats.

You always utilize your most dangerous weapon even if its just a decoy.

That being said, there was a couple of PP last night particularly one late in the game where they were forcing it to Laine. There's no need for that.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
It's really too bad they couldn't sign a 3C like it was rumoured Chevy was looking for.

I feel like Connor Lowry Armia won't work great as a third. I get the idea of putting Connor with two defense first guys, but both of them score at a 4th line rate, putting all the scoring pressure on the rookie. If we had a better option at 3C or 3RW then that would work with either one of Lowry/Armia. That's why I get why some people want to swap Connor and Perreault, giving that line an extra boost to try and spread the talent throughout the top 9.

I can also understand the desire to play your best guys top 6, and giving Connor time to work his way into the top 6. But to do that I believe we need a different composition for the third line than CLA. I'm really hoping Petan has a solid camp and can be that guy, even on the right side: Connor-Lowry-Petan, if Petan can even remotely drive play along with some scoring that could be a solid third.

Otherwise it looks like we're waiting until Roslovic makes the jump until we have a solid top 9.

A bettter line may be Conner Copp Petan and put MLA on the 4th. This assume Petan can drive the play like you said. You could also replace Dano with Petan if he has a better camp then him. I still have a problem with having our top 6 forward all on the top 2 lines. There is to much of a drop off after Perreault unless one or two of Conner,Petan, Dano or even Armia can step up their points production.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A bettter line may be Conner Copp Petan and put MLA on the 4th. This assume Petan can drive the play like you said. You could also replace Dano with Petan if he has a better camp then him. I still have a problem with having our top 6 forward all on the top 2 lines. There is to much of a drop off after Perreault unless one or two of Conner,Petan, Dano or even Armia can step up their points production.

I'm staying away from the fourth line. I'm operating under the pretense of Mo-ism. :laugh:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Agree that Laine needs to shot more in general!! There was a couple of times on the pp where he needs to shot regardless of it being the perfect option instead of trying the seam pass that's rarely there...

I understand if he doesn't want to look selfish to the team but with that shot you need to send it on net every single time you have half a chance!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree that Laine needs to shot more in general!! There was a couple of times on the pp where he needs to shot regardless of it being the perfect option instead of trying the seam pass that's rarely there...

I understand if he doesn't want to look selfish to the team but with that shot you need to send it on net every single time you have half a chance!

Laine had 5 shots on goal and 8 shot attempts so it's not like he didn't shot the puck fairly regularly. Could he shoot more, sure but developing other aspects of his game like playnaking will make him more dangerous in the long run.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

It up to the coaches to tell Laine to shoot more. I'd like to see at lease 250 shot attempts this year if not closer to 300. Odds are his shooting percentage will drop this year so he has to shoot more. Then again if he shoots more and his shooting percentage stays the same this would mean a hell of a lot more goals for Laine this year. :)

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Laine had 5 shots on goal and 8 shot attempts so it's not like he didn't shot the puck fairly regularly. Could he shoot more, sure but developing other aspects of his game like playnaking will make him more dangerous in the long run.

Agree with everything you said and I conveniently didn't notice the 8 shot attempts :laugh:

But when watching him play and knowing his insane shot I just some times wish he had more of an Evander Kane mentality. And yes, I did just throw up a bit in my mouth while writing that :laugh:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
The jets went 22.2% on the pp last night. Would've been good for 7th in the NHL last season....

2-10 = 20%

Was it not 2/9? Must've missed one. There was a lot...

NHL.com has 10

PK was 6/7 85.7%

10 penalties, 9 power play opportunities. Two overlapped giving us the five on three.

Hence 2/9 = 22.2% on the power play last night. If we do that all season and through four rounds of the playoffs I'd be quite pleased.

m.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It up to the coaches to tell Laine to shoot more. I'd like to see at lease 250 shot attempts this year if not closer to 300. Odds are his shooting percentage will drop this year so he has to shoot more. Then again if he shoots more and his shooting percentage stays the same this would mean a hell of a lot more goals for Laine this year. :)

Agree. There is no reason for him to have the same amount of shots as Ehlers. I couldn't care less what his shooting percentage ends up at. I just want the most dangerous Jet to shot like his the most dangerous Jet.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
10 penalties, 9 power play opportunities. Two overlapped giving us the five on three.

Hence 2/9 = 22.2% on the power play last night. If we do that all season and through four rounds of the playoffs I'd be quite pleased.

m.

I was using this which clearly says 2/10

IMG_3711.jpg

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My approach would be to have Laine in that spot ALL the time, try and give him 90 seconds on the PP too when appropriate. If he's open, pass it to him, if he isn't you use your other threats.

That being said, there was a couple of PP last night particularly one late in the game where they were forcing it to Laine. There's no need for that.

Yes, it's probably going to take some time. They can look at the usage of Ovi for an example though. I'm pretty sure he has sat in that same spot for years and played every minute of PP and still racks up points for the team.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
They don't necessarily prove themselves for one thing by doing another. It isn't rushing them if you put them in that role and they succeed. TC is the time to try it.

I'm not advocating putting them together but there is a difference between pushing a player into a role (rushing) and allowing him a shot at a role (giving him opportunity).

I don't advocate Connor on the 2nd line with Little and Ehlers either. Not enough experience on those wings. With Little and Wheeler it would be a different proposition.

When Roslovic is ready he will be 3C. That may not be this year. If he does win that job it might be another argument in favour of Connor - Little - Wheeler. Perreault would add experience to the Roslovic line.

I don't understand Maurice's determination to build chemistry on an LSW line when he already has plenty of chemistry in other combinations in the top 6. Ehlers-Scheif and Little-Wheeler for example.

Connor is being put in a role to succeed IMO. He is getting a role that involves playing less minutes than the other roles being advocated. He is being given a role that will likely mean playing more often against the other teams third pair. He is being given less responsibilty in the sense that he is not being relied upon on day 1 to be a major contributer to team success. He is being given room to grow into his role on the team.

Unless of course you measure success strictly by how many points he scores. I don't think that is what is intended here. The Jets are not willing to "wait" for him to grow into a top 6 role. They need to know for sure. Not with the win now attitude

He's still an unproven AHL player trying to make the jump to the NHL.

I don't understand why you don't understand what Maurice is doing here. Did you listen to his pressers? He wants to find out now if the LSW line is going to be dynamic. If it ain't working he'll change it up. There's nothing wrong with his logic in this IMO.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Buff is an elite power play talent who should be on PP1 so you'd be loosing Laine on the PP1 if that's the case.

You should take a look at who was assisting on Laine's goals last year.... you'll probably see buffs name more than you think.

In order to give Laine the time and space to get his shot off I think you'll find having the threat of a buff slapper to be benificial not a hindrance.

I would love to have Buff on the same PP, but if he does not get the big picture, he goes. If Laine is open, that is the play. Every time. If he is not open, no problem. IMO of course.

Start the video at 6:16 (you can put it to 50% speed if you like). You can see Laine signaling for a pass to Buff after he sees the Minnesota D completely collapsing to the other side. Buff with a genius move...

That is how I would do it too. I agree that the play should proceed organically.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor is being put in a role to succeed IMO. He is getting a role that involves playing less minutes than the other roles being advocated. He is being given a role that will likely mean playing more often against the other teams third pair. He is being given less responsibilty in the sense that he is not being relied upon on day 1 to be a major contributer to team success. He is being given room to grow into his role on the team.

Unless of course you measure success strictly by how many points he scores. I don't think that is what is intended here. The Jets are not willing to "wait" for him to grow into a top 6 role. They need to know for sure. Not with the win now attitude

He's still an unproven AHL player trying to make the jump to the NHL.

I don't understand why you don't understand what Maurice is doing here. Did you listen to his pressers? He wants to find out now if the LSW line is going to be dynamic. If it ain't working he'll change it up. There's nothing wrong with his logic in this IMO.

I have no problem with that. That isn't the same as trying to 'build chemistry'.

Last night's game was a poor way to judge any of this. PLE looked good together. LSW was not bad. looked a little flat to me but were still effective. Neither line had enough 5v5 time to get any flow. Connor just didn't get much opportunity.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to put Connor and Roslovic together. I'm not trying to put Connor with Little and Ehlers either.

I'm skeptical of the way he is putting together his top 2 lines but we have to see how it works before judging it.

ESL was not great defensively at times last year. Little and Laine were not a great fit. Not bad, just no chemistry. If this arrangement works it might improve on those situations. OTOH, a year more experience under their belts might have already fixed ESL making this arrangement unnecessary.

I still like:
ESL
PLW
with the option to play Connor with Little and Wheeler. That takes advantage of existing chemistry.

What I like or don't like doesn't matter. What matters is that PMo get the best combinations together. If that turns out to be:
LSW
PLE
I'll be happy.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I have no problem with that. That isn't the same as trying to 'build chemistry'.

I deleted a lot of your post because that looks like stuff You are atributing to me somehow. Those are not my words.

Again what's to understand? Did you listen to Maurice?

1) he wants to find out now if LSW has chemistry or works together

2) he wants to find out how successful Laine can be playing his offwing

Seems like you don't "understand" because you don't like Maurice or he doesn't do things the way you want. His approach is logical in the context above. He stated not that the lines may change, he stated they will change inseason. He said every team does.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would love to have Buff on the same PP, but if he does not get the big picture, he goes. If Laine is open, that is the play. Every time. If he is not open, no problem. IMO of course.

Start the video at 6:16 (you can put it to 50% speed if you like). You can see Laine signaling for a pass to Buff after he sees the Minnesota D completely collapsing to the other side. Buff with a genius move...

That is how I would do it too. I agree that the play should proceed organically.

I know its painful for some people but Buff is going to be on the 1st PP unit. You can rage against the machine but it is what it is and if you are expecting something different its going to be a long season.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I know its painful for some people but Buff is going to be on the 1st PP unit. You can rage against the machine but it is what it is and if you are expecting something different its going to be a long season.

Someone said above that Buff has assisted many of Laine's goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad