Post-Game Talk: Wild vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Tomlinson was excellent. Well spoken, clear delivery, good content. :handclap:

Watched the game on GCL. Video looks better this year.

I liked Tomlinson. He has a polished style and explains himself pretty well. He probably barely knows this team. I suspect he'd have more to offer if he did this regularly (he may do the entire preseason) Perhaps TSN is auditioning him. Same old Beyak though. Sometimes I wonder if he's watching the same game I am.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Poolman looked pretty smooth out there. Excited to see what a year in the A will do for his game with a few looks up on the big club this season. Difference between him and Chairot is Poolman's game seems much more effortless. I like the way he gets pucks on net.

Didn't like the look of the 3rd line, I'd like to see a preseaon game with Connor, Roslovic and Petan. give Connor a look on the PP too.

it's early, but I much prefer Ehlers and Wheeler switch lines. More of a power balance and chemistry thing.

Maybe Hendricks can teach our C's to win a damn faceoff

Helly looked good, his glove hand is going to get picked off again this year though me thinks.

PP system looks no different then last year. quicker puck movement and player movement please. Everyone knows where the shots coming from anyways.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Most of everything has been said, but.....

I agree with those who think Wheeler should be with Little and Ehlers with Scheifele. Wheeler is arguably the best overall player on the team, but imo he fits best with Little.

Laine and Scheifele seem to be quicker and play a young man's game, as does Ehlers.

Little and Wheeler still play a little more old school with less of the quickness of thought and passing. Just work your ass off hockey.

My one other observation is that i don't understand why Lowry is on PP1 again so far. And again, I love Wheeler, but I don't think he's great on the PP.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Most of everything has been said, but.....

I agree with those who think Wheeler should be with Little and Ehlers with Scheifele. Wheeler is arguably the best overall player on the team, but imo he fits best with Little.

Laine and Scheifele seem to be quicker and play a young man's game, as does Ehlers.

Little and Wheeler still play a little more old school with less of the quickness of thought and passing. Just work your ass off hockey.

My one other observation is that i don't understand why Lowry is on PP1 again so far. And again, I love Wheeler, but I don't think he's great on the PP.

According to Delow the Jets have had an elite PP group when they combine the following four player plus one other forward. It doesn't matter who the other one was as long as those four are together.

Buff
Wheeler
Little
Perreault

Dellow: It's pretty obvious who belongs on Jets PP1 and it's not their young stars

https://theathletic.com/103037/2017...gs-on-jets-pp1-and-its-not-their-young-stars/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
According to Delow the Jets have had an elite PP group when they combine the following four player plus one other forward. It doesn't matter who the other one was as long as those four are together.

Buff
Wheeler
Little
Perreault

Dellow: It's pretty obvious who belongs on Jets PP1 and it's not their young stars

https://theathletic.com/103037/2017...gs-on-jets-pp1-and-its-not-their-young-stars/

Then combine them. I actually think the vets read and play better with each other as do the kids.

Vets are more direct and put more shots on target.

The kids are more cerebral and try to move the puck more creatively to open up shots.

Have a kid and vet unit that gives PKs two different looks.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
best line last year was ehlers scheifele and wheeler. by a wide margin. this line has chemistry, the line with laine on it does not. put laine with little and perreault. they played really good together before laine ran out of gas at end of year. ehlers with laine is a bad idea because ehlers defers to much to laine even when he has great scoring opportunities he tries to pass. if laine is on the other line he would have easier match ups to play against. I think they will go back to this by the end of pre-season.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
People want really sharp turns so early. I at least want to see more of the current lines before demanding a change. That sample size was truly nothing at all. Laine whiffed on a couple of shots, Wheeler had the puck bounce unluckily all over the place (his single-handed effort to almost score in the beginning was a beauty).

And not building the PP around Laine will make me explode.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Buff
Wheeler
Little
Perreault

They might be the most effective now, but we need to get better, and that group of vets doesn't have room to grow. The PP will only become elite when elite offensive players like Laine, Scheifele and Ehlers are the core. Sticking with the vets might seem good in the short term but the Jets will only contend if their best young players take key roles from vets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
People want really sharp turns so early. I at least want to see more of the current lines before demanding a change. That sample size was truly nothing at all. Laine whiffed on a couple of shots, Wheeler had the puck bounce unluckily all over the place (his single-handed effort to almost score in the beginning was a beauty).

And not building the PP around Laine will make me explode.

Good points.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They might be the most effective now, but we need to get better, and that group of vets doesn't have room to grow. The PP will only become elite when elite offensive players like Laine, Scheifele and Ehlers are the core. Sticking with the vets might seem good in the short term but the Jets will only contend if their best young players take key roles from vets.

we don't need to get better at the expense of winning games now. and its not like the younger players are going anywhere they will be on the 2nd pp unit. if their development costs us games this year then its a bad idea to play them in front of vets who would be better getting the bulk of the pp time.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The slashing crackdown could end up benefiting us more than we think. And I'm not talking about special teams. It could benefit us 5 on 5. As players adjust our skilled guys will in theory have more freedom to do what they do best. Skill becomes even more valuable.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Then combine them. I actually think the vets read and play better with each other as do the kids.

The kids are more cerebral and try to move the puck more creatively to open up shots.

Like this idea and give then about equal PP time.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario

Buff
Wheeler
Little
Perreault

I actually am pretty sure Little produced the most on the PP last year for icetime. But its tough because Mark is the 1C and has more offensive talent, but for some reason Little was the better PP guy. I say make 2 good units and split time, the trick is once you mix the top 2 lines too much its a mess after the PP. But.....

Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Laine, One of Buff/Trouba

Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Morrissey, other one of Buff/Trouba

But if you want to keep lines together and we are going off lines as of right now then maybe try,

Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Laine, Buff/Trouba

Little, Perreault, Ehlers, Buff or Trouba and Morrissey

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I do wonder who Poolman will replace on the right side. He looks good but I can't see him pushing Myers or Buff out of the bottom 4 and Trouba should be our #1 now. He will likely spend most of his time with the Moose but I think a first injury call up for the right side would be a good idea. He looks ready though. And IMO will possibly allow us to move someone like Buff or Myers at some point if the need arises.

You nailed it Dax. I think Poolman could use some camp Morrissey time (heavy usage) in the AHL. That is still a very big step up from the NCAA. He will be called up when not if injuries occur. My only hope is that he gets at least 20 games on the Moose.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Poolman looked pretty smooth out there. Excited to see what a year in the A will do for his game with a few looks up on the big club this season. Difference between him and Chairot is Poolman's game seems much more effortless. I like the way he gets pucks on net.

Didn't like the look of the 3rd line, I'd like to see a preseaon game with Connor, Roslovic and Petan. give Connor a look on the PP too.

it's early, but I much prefer Ehlers and Wheeler switch lines. More of a power balance and chemistry thing.

Maybe Hendricks can teach our C's to win a damn faceoff

Helly looked good, his glove hand is going to get picked off again this year though me thinks.

PP system looks no different then last year. quicker puck movement and player movement please. Everyone knows where the shots coming from anyways.

Little dominated and owned the dot last night. He keeps getting better, my bet is he is a top 5 faceoff guy this year. The issue is Maurice uses other C's more then him for PK. Little plays kind of a PK unit 3. Just go back to giving him more dZone PK draws. If every other C can't break 50 percent and you already have a high 50's C. Pretty simple to me

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

This is how I see that as well. I think there are two groups of top six forwards that have the best 'chemistry' or at least play similarly. the 'vets' and the young guys.

I have nothing to back that up but my eye test.... :)

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Watched the game on GCL. Video looks better this year.

I liked Tomlinson. He has a polished style and explains himself pretty well. He probably barely knows this team. I suspect he'd have more to offer if he did this regularly (he may do the entire preseason) Perhaps TSN is auditioning him. Same old Beyak though. Sometimes I wonder if he's watching the same game I am.

The former Jet !

Whileee

May 29, 2010
we don't need to get better at the expense of winning games now. and its not like the younger players are going anywhere they will be on the 2nd pp unit. if their development costs us games this year then its a bad idea to play them in front of vets who would be better getting the bulk of the pp time.

I think they'll improve rapidly. Laine is far from the best forward on the PP statistically, but it makes no sense not to play him a bunch because he's the type of elite talent you need for a top-notch PP. Same with Ehlers. They'll figure it out. They've excelled at lower levels on the PP, and will at the NHL level, too.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I do wonder who Poolman will replace on the right side. He looks good but I can't see him pushing Myers or Buff out of the bottom 4 and Trouba should be our #1 now. He will likely spend most of his time with the Moose but I think a first injury call up for the right side would be a good idea. He looks ready though. And IMO will possibly allow us to move someone like Buff or Myers at some point if the need arises.

He's truly an either side D though, that's a tremendous plus.
So after some AHL heavy seasoning he can slot in anywhere on the bottom 4 when an inevitable injury happens and then may not give that spot up for a long time.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
As it was late by the time I got home last night, I didn't get the chance to post. It's probably all been said, but I'll say some of my observations :laugh:

Poolman looked really good last night. I think he could be a good 3rd pairing D on most teams. I imagine he'll spend some time on the Moose this season, but he could be a good quality 3rd pairing. He's already above Chiarot.

Nogier and Stanley also stood out for me, but not in the good way. Of course, perhaps that's only because they need more time to develop?

I thought the Jets, as a whole, looked better in the 2nd half of the game. Probably shaking off the rust. Hopefully they'll be in good shape for the season opener.

Jets had some good chances to make it 3-2 in regulation, just couldn't capitalize on it. Deja-vu?

Helle looked better as the game went on. Had a .944 sv? Only one game though. The lateral training he was doing came in handy for the wrap around attempt by the Wild. He still needs to work on his glove. Somehow I don't think he'll get that with Flaherty, but I hope I'm wrong.

Really looking forward to seeing Mason play in net.

That's all I have. Overall, an enjoyable game. The score didn't matter this time, but it will once the season begins.

rabbitca

Dec 18, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
D27fThd.png

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
He's truly an either side D though, that's a tremendous plus.
So after some AHL heavy seasoning he can slot in anywhere on the bottom 4 when an inevitable injury happens and then may not give that spot up for a long time.

If that's correct and he can play the left side, then could he make the initial team? I don't see him cracking the lineup on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad