Proposal: Wild blow up the entire team?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
yeah i didn't mean to imply Staal would try to hold us over a barrel or anything. And i honestly wouldn't blame the GM in this instance for "not getting a deal done" because for a player in Staal's circumstances you have to think he'll be looking for a contract with some probably poor value years built in the end and a new GM with new vision will probably not be too keen to ink something like that.

Assuming Staal will want a longer contract, and that Leipold's goal will be to stay in the playoffs:

Will that be a non-starter for the new GM as he morphs the roster to his liking? If yes, will it still be worth it to keep him on the roster to start the year given his importance to our playoff hopes?

I think there are two paths to take when you step in as GM with a new team; either you can do absolutely nothing the first year and really get a good feel for what you want to do over that year, or you can use your existing knowledge of the team based on playing against them, scouting them, etc, and make your moves right away, evaluating as the years go on. Staal's fate ultimately depends on what path the new GM plans to take, and of course what Staal's intentions are for the future. Which I think is basically what you just said.

As far as my personal opinion on the subject, if I was GM, I'd try to make a deal for some parts this summer, namely I'd look at moving Zucker, Coyle, Nino, Spurgeon or Brodin, or some combination, for a Nylander or Fiala type player. I'd also sit down with Staal and explain to him how we're going to be re-tooling, where the goal is still ultimately to win the cup every year, and his future with the team is up to him. If he wants to try his hand elsewhere with potentially a better chance, then you look at finding the right deal for him. If he doesn't mind the changes that are to come, then you keep him on as the #1 C but explain to him you can't give him much of a raise. If he's okay with that, awesome, if not, you again try to move him for the right deal.

Where it gets difficult is that with his mNTC, it'll narrow the teams you can trade with to the point where maybe you just don't find a deal, and then he walks next summer.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
GM's best chance of making the playoffs is to leave the major tinkering alone, but it's also the path to a slower realization for his--presumably--different vision for the team. Interesting times ahead. Then there's the expansion and the planning that will have to go on taking that into account (as far as player contracts both signed and traded for).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Steel? He's Anaheim's property.

What is Minnesota's needs?
Why do I always think he was drafted by LA? Sorry :laugh:

I think our needs are similar to LA's, really: young, offensively gifted forwards. I know Toffoli's name has come up recently, but I'd lean away from that one personally.

At the moment we're good at defense, though I guess that could change if a defender is the price we need to pay for the sort of forward we're after. At that point I could see moving a forward for a defensive replacement. Moving Nino to fill that hole seems like it'd be overkill, but I guess it depends on who the actual players being moved are.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He seems so similar to the forwards that we're looking to move, but I might be underselling him there. He's had some very good playoff performances.

Agree that he's too similar to what we have. Disagree about his playoff performances. He's a career .59ppg player, which drops to .45ppg in the playoffs. He's been a ghost in the Kings last two playoffs.

Toffoli is the kind of guy we would get if LA was selling low on him and we needed to fill a hole left by the departure of Nino, Coyle or Zucker. He's not the guy you target to get the franchise over the hump.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Read in the media a quote from Leipold saying he doesn't want a GM to rebuild the team. IMO the current core of that team is beyond saving and a rebuild is necessary. Doesn't necessarily have to take all that long. Can still rebuild around Parise and Suter, Dubnyk (or move Dubnyk if you want to tank). From watching 5 straight games if I were a Wild fan I'd want Zucker and Coyle gone. They weren't even competitive in that series against the Jets. Those guys stink and are hugely overrated, pull the plug there, sell for assets for rebuild.

Reactions: Timj5304

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Agree that he's too similar to what we have. Disagree about his playoff performances. He's a career .59ppg player, which drops to .45ppg in the playoffs. He's been a ghost in the Kings last two playoffs.

Toffoli is the kind of guy we would get if LA was selling low on him and we needed to fill a hole left by the departure of Nino, Coyle or Zucker. He's not the guy you target to get the franchise over the hump.

So are we talking about Toffoli or someone else?

I don't think LA moves Toffoli without a major skilled young winger coming back. So our 2 teams might be too similar to make a trade because both teams need that.

Maybe if you guys were looking for a Carter or Martinez/Muzzin type player a trade could be worked. But this is the "new" NHL so everyone wants youth. So I doubt a deal can be made.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So are we talking about Toffoli or someone else?

I don't think LA moves Toffoli without a major skilled young winger coming back. So our 2 teams might be too similar to make a trade because both teams need that.

Maybe if you guys were looking for a Carter or Martinez/Muzzin type player a trade could be worked. But this is the "new" NHL so everyone wants youth. So I doubt a deal can be made.
Youth does get a little too fetishized on HF, but we're good on defense and the overall age of the team is a definite concern right now. Nothing against them as players, but I'd hope we're not interested in Carter, Martinez or Muzzin.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
If I were the Wild GM, I'd try to make a re-tool and add finishing ability + physicality. Possibly try to trade for a player who needs a change of scenery. They hit the home run in Staal.

Since I follow Finnish prospects the most, I'd try to get asking prices for:

*Kapanen from Leafs (He's really fast, can score and is a good player in general - he's just a bit stuck because Leafs are such a deep team)
*Puljujärvi from Oilers (He has all the tools, he just needs confidence to pull it together. I think his countrymen, captain Koivu in the forefront, could help him with that)

The problems would of course be a) Wild doesn't have much that the Leafs would be interested in, so they should first trade 2-3 guys for picks and b) although his value can't be that high at the moment, I don't think Oilers are willing to move Puljujärvi unless the return is big and/or they can shed a bad contract.

Tolvanen would be a great fit but I don't believe a second that Nashville would move him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If I were the Wild GM, I'd try to make a re-tool and add finishing ability + physicality. Possibly try to trade for a player who needs a change of scenery. They hit the home run in Staal.

Since I follow Finnish prospects the most, I'd try to get asking prices for:

*Kapanen from Leafs (He's really fast, can score and is a good player in general - he's just a bit stuck because Leafs are such a deep team)
*Puljujärvi from Oilers (He has all the tools, he just needs confidence to pull it together. I think his countrymen, captain Koivu in the forefront, could help him with that)

The problems would of course be a) Wild doesn't have much that the Leafs would be interested in, so they should first trade 2-3 guys for picks and b) although his value can't be that high at the moment, I don't think Oilers are willing to move Puljujärvi unless the return is big and/or they can shed a bad contract.

Tolvanen would be a great fit but I don't believe a second that Nashville would move him.
I do kind of like Kapanen as a target. Again, I'm a little unsure of how his AHL scoring will translate to the NHL, but if he's been playing most on the 4th line this year I'm not going to read too much into his stat line.

I think the Wild definitely have things that Toronto would be interested in, but a lot of them are bigger ticket items like top-4 defensemen. Those aren't things I'd move if the centerpiece of the deal coming back is Kapanen. Maybe someone like Soucy/Olofsson+? That's probably too little coming from Minnesota. I dunno.

Puljuljarvi's also interesting, but I'm also not sure how interested Edmonton is in moving him or how much I'd want to give up. Something around Zucker or Coyle, maybe?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Doesn't Puljujarvi have to prove he can play, and play well, before we send a Zucker over there? I mean, it was a Red flag to me when the only Finnish GM in the league didn't take him when he was available. I'm not saying he is bad, I'm just saying he is a total cipher, at this point. Zucker, McDavid, and a lamp post would make a killer line. Jason would be scoring 40+. I'm not sending a top line player over there for an untried player who has yet to prove anything.

Saying that the Leafs wouldn't be interested in anything that the Wild have? For Kapanen? Don't really know how to respond to that one. If true then we back away slowly, while trying not to make any eye contact.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I hate the thought of trading Parayko. But if u wanna give us granlund and spurgeon I think we’d make an exception :sarcasm:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Doesn't Puljujarvi have to prove he can play, and play well, before we send a Zucker over there? I mean, it was a Red flag to me when the only Finnish GM in the league didn't take him when he was available. I'm not saying he is bad, I'm just saying he is a total cipher, at this point. Zucker, McDavid, and a lamp post would make a killer line. Jason would be scoring 40+. I'm not sending a top line player over there for an untried player who has yet to prove anything.

Saying that the Leafs wouldn't be interested in anything that the Wild have? For Kapanen? Don't really know how to respond to that one. If true then we back away slowly, while trying not to make any eye contact.
I'm not sure how much of the red around Puljujarvi is red flags vs red herrings. It sounds like he's had trouble acclimating to NA and grasping the language, which has led to communication issues with the coaches. To some extent I think the Wild would be banking on him improving under a Finnish captain and alongside Finnish teammates. That's kind of a wishy-washy sort of bet though, so I dunno. Obviously if that kid puts it all together it could be quite a coup.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I hate the thought of trading Parayko. But if u wanna give us granlund and spurgeon I think we’d make an exception :sarcasm:
Well, at least you're offering a really good player. Unfortunately, Granlund is near impossible to replace for the Wild. We just don't have any really good setup men beside him, and he's the best on the team at entering the Ozone on the PP, also. I'm getting fond of the little feller...he and his Finnish Fanbois used to bug the crap outta me.

Reactions: FVM and STLBLUES44

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
At this point who should we even retain outside of the bad contracts of Suter and Parise whom we are stuck with til death.

First points of order
1. Fire the idiot whom created this problem, Chuck Fletcher
2. Buyout Parise with a Rick DiPietro/Bobby Bonilla deal that pays til 2068
3. Change the identity of the team and get players whom play the physical style of Boudreau’s coaching mentality. Get rid of these soft players whom have size but play smaller like Neiderreiter, Coyle and Brodin.

I don’t care if guys are 6’3 and 230, you have to play that size not 5’8 170. Spurgeon plays bigger than these guys

Clutterbuck and a 3rd for Nino . . . heck, take Dal Colle too!

:D

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Read in the media a quote from Leipold saying he doesn't want a GM to rebuild the team. IMO the current core of that team is beyond saving and a rebuild is necessary. Doesn't necessarily have to take all that long. Can still rebuild around Parise and Suter, Dubnyk (or move Dubnyk if you want to tank). From watching 5 straight games if I were a Wild fan I'd want Zucker and Coyle gone. They weren't even competitive in that series against the Jets. Those guys stink and are hugely overrated, pull the plug there, sell for assets for rebuild.

Please call Garth Snow if you are serious about that . . .

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I do kind of like Kapanen as a target. Again, I'm a little unsure of how his AHL scoring will translate to the NHL, but if he's been playing most on the 4th line this year I'm not going to read too much into his stat line.

I think the Wild definitely have things that Toronto would be interested in, but a lot of them are bigger ticket items like top-4 defensemen. Those aren't things I'd move if the centerpiece of the deal coming back is Kapanen. Maybe someone like Soucy/Olofsson+? That's probably too little coming from Minnesota. I dunno.

Puljuljarvi's also interesting, but I'm also not sure how interested Edmonton is in moving him or how much I'd want to give up. Something around Zucker or Coyle, maybe?
I'm not too high on Kapanen. There's a reason why Leafs fans are always making him available in trade proposals... If I'm trading for a forward on the Leafs, I'm going for broke and targeting Nylander.

Puljuljarvi I wouldn't trade for yet until I see more of his play. Right now, he strikes me as a person who isn't very smart, both on the ice and in life. Hopefully he proves me wrong as he has all of the tools. Just got to put them in that toolbox.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Blowing things up does not start with trading away serviceable young-ish players. It starts with getting rid of the right contracts if you don't want this to be a rocky road, that even includes Suter, who is at least a dependable defenseman still but if you wanna do things properly, then it starts with him and Parise tbh.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Blowing things up does not start with trading away serviceable young-ish players. It starts with getting rid of the right contracts if you don't want this to be a rocky road, that even includes Suter, who is at least a dependable defenseman still but if you wanna do things properly, then it starts with him and Parise tbh.
Despite the thread title, I don't think many Wild fans are looking to blow up the team. The owner obviously isn't.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wild can't blow it up even if they wanted to. A team with contracts like Parise and Suter's that can't be bought out effectively aren't in a position to blow it up. They just need to add more talent up front to actually build a solid and productive 3rd line. And I think getting someone to anchor that 3C spot is their best way to improve. If Parise comes back healthy then you can push Niederreiter back down to the 3rd line and with Foligno on the wings, that can be a good 3rd line with the right center. Then they need to figure out their 3rd pairing and then they may be able to make headway come playoff time if they're healthy. Health is what killed them this season more than anything. You can't lose someone like Suter and expect to win on a nightly basis anymore. Wild probably will have to buy out Ennis. They should take a run at someone like Evander Kane and maybe move someone like Granlund or Coyle back to center and have them anchor the 3rd line but they need more depth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wild can't blow it up even if they wanted to. A team with contracts like Parise and Suter's that can't be bought out effectively aren't in a position to blow it up. They just need to add more talent up front to actually build a solid and productive 3rd line. And I think getting someone to anchor that 3C spot is their best way to improve. If Parise comes back healthy then you can push Niederreiter back down to the 3rd line and with Foligno on the wings, that can be a good 3rd line with the right center. Then they need to figure out their 3rd pairing and then they may be able to make headway come playoff time if they're healthy. Health is what killed them this season more than anything. You can't lose someone like Suter and expect to win on a nightly basis anymore. Wild probably will have to buy out Ennis. They should take a run at someone like Evander Kane and maybe move someone like Granlund or Coyle back to center and have them anchor the 3rd line but they need more depth.
Injuries did us in this year. Jake Allen did us in last year. Injuries again the year before that. Then Blackhawks, Blackhawks, Blackhawks... There's been something every year and that's not going change in the future; we have to be good enough to push through that stuff and we haven't been. Last year was the closest we've ever come to everything going right, and all it took to stop us was a hot goalie that many Blues fans want to see the back of 12 months later. The guys that needed to step up haven't for multiple years in a row now.

And this is beside the point because a rebuild isn't happening right now, but what is it about Parise and Suter that prevents a GM from blowing the team up?

Reactions: FVM

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4