Proposal: Wild blow up the entire team?

space321

May 11, 2011
Not gonna read through this whole thread, but just the first page seems to have a lot of delusional/misinformed people.

Parise and Suter are not being bought out/traded. Suter is the teams best player, and his injury really showed. Parise was the team's best forward down the stretch, he scored 12 goals in March once he got going from his injury, and scored 3 in 3 games vs the Jets. A sternum break will fully heal and he will be healthy going into next season, don't be surprised if he scores 30g again. 7.5m for either of these guys right now is pretty good value (excellent value in Suter's case). We'll worry about buying them out or putting Parise on LTIR in a few seasons when they can't play anymore.

Dumba is not going anywhere. He's 23 and just scored 50+ points. Granlund is not going anywhere either. Koivu same, he's old but he's on short term contracts and was still a positive contributor in the playoffs.

Nino and Coyle are interesting. Nino seemed injured the whole year, and Coyle just never found his game this year. Could be trade bait, but could also just be held onto and hope for a bounce back year since they both scored 55+ points last year. Staal could be a very valuable trade piece, but I think he likes it in MN as it's close to home. Either way, the Wild have some interesting trade pieces, and I'd put the early playoff exit on Suter + Parise's injury, Spurgeon was also definitely not 100% otherwise he would be getting 30+ minutes instead of Dumba/Brodin, as well as some younger players not showing up (Coyle, Nino, Zucker).

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
uh okay... fine i will remove it

It’s nothing personal, it just has been beaten to death between the two fanbases. We don’t want to move Dumba unless it’s in a package for Draistli, and obviously that doesn’t fly for the Oilers. There’s no deal to be made.

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It’s nothing personal, it just has been beaten to death between the two fanbases. We don’t want to move Dumba unless it’s in a package for Draistli, and obviously that doesn’t fly for the Oilers. There’s no deal to be made.
what about Spurgeon? Oilers need an offensive top 4 RD.
MIN needs a C like RNH and if they are trying to get back to the drawing board trading Staal this offseason would get them max value.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm still shocked how much killer value you guys get from your ufa's.
Parise and Suter are kicking ass for you guys.

Edmonton gets 1 year from ufa signings at best before they lose all motivation for the game of hockey. Blame confidence and mental game for "I don't really give a shit" that eventually happens to everyone who plays for them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
what about Spurgeon? Oilers need an offensive top 4 RD.
MIN needs a C like RNH and if they are trying to get back to the drawing board trading Staal this offseason would get them max value.
I'd move Spurgeon before Dumba, but I don't think I'd do it for RNH. If we move Staal I think all bets are off, though.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Don't think we should (or can) blow it up. I don't see any active players that really fit the bill of what we need and are available either.

If buffalo doesn't get the #1, would they be willing to deal their first? Base would be brodin+coyle/nino. No idea on how you guys value that so feel free to adjust. Reasoning is it seems buffalo lacks d and depth. Risto, scandella, and brodin are a respectable top 3 and adding whichever forward goes a long way to improving the top 6. Plus you guys have had enough of our picks, I want one back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd move Spurgeon before Dumba, but I don't think I'd do it for RNH. If we move Staal I think all bets are off, though.
RNH is now 25 yo. He is what he is. Not the gamechanger that Wild fans are clamouring for, and frankly, not really an improvement over what they have, especially at the 6M /yr. he is making. EDM seems to be happy with him, and value him highly. No trade to be made .

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
RNH is now 25 yo. He is what he is. Not the gamechanger that Wild fans are clamouring for, and frankly, not really an improvement over what they have, especially at the 6M /yr. he is making. EDM seems to be happy with him, and value him highly. No trade to be made .

Yeah I won’t be thrilled with trading any of our top 4 for RNH to be honest. He’s not the player he was once touted to be and he’s not the solution to our issues. A big no thanks all around on RNH.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
probably the worst part of a GM change is the over-reaction on HF.

To be fair, this thread came before Fletcher was let go and in general all the Wild threads in this section right now mostly stem from getting bounced in the first round 4 of the last 6 years (and the 2nd round the other 2 years). And I really don't know if it's an overreaction to that. ^ years is a long time to be stalled in this "mediocre" spot, regardless of how hard the playoffs are.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So do you think we'll get better assets for Staal before the season starts or as probably the best rental piece ever at the deadline when we're well out of a playoff spot next year?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So do you think we'll get better assets for Staal before the season starts or as probably the best rental piece ever at the deadline when we're well out of a playoff spot next year?

Hard to say. Demand will be higher at the deadline in theory, with more teams bidding, but at the same time, it might be a buyers market, and you might not be able to find the right fit. On the other hand, a team acquiring him in July will get a full season out of him at 3.5M, which is definitely more valuable.

I think whoever takes over GM really needs to have something in mind as a return for him, and if you can't get that in the offseason, you try again at the deadline. If you can't get it at the deadline, I'm perfectly okay with keeping him and trying to sign him to another 2-3 year cheap deal next summer.

From what I can remember, he likes being THE guy here, and he said he'd rather be somewhere with a chance to win than go somewhere he can cash in. As long as we don't blow it up this summer or next, I think he'd be willing to re-sign if we wanted him.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Hard to say. Demand will be higher at the deadline in theory, with more teams bidding, but at the same time, it might be a buyers market, and you might not be able to find the right fit. On the other hand, a team acquiring him in July will get a full season out of him at 3.5M, which is definitely more valuable.

I think whoever takes over GM really needs to have something in mind as a return for him, and if you can't get that in the offseason, you try again at the deadline. If you can't get it at the deadline, I'm perfectly okay with keeping him and trying to sign him to another 2-3 year cheap deal next summer.

From what I can remember, he likes being THE guy here, and he said he'd rather be somewhere with a chance to win than go somewhere he can cash in. As long as we don't blow it up this summer or next, I think he'd be willing to re-sign if we wanted him.

i have a feeling that might depend on who the next GM is and if Staal himself likes the plan presented. If he's not as confident of his likely place here or if the new GM is (understandably) unwilling to include a NMC or whatever Staal could be out of here regardless. He's done a lot to repair his reputation as a player, he'll probably find interested parties around the league willing to pay decent money.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i have a feeling that might depend on who the next GM is and if Staal himself likes the plan presented. If he's not as confident of his likely place here or if the new GM is (understandably) unwilling to include a NMC or whatever Staal could be out of here regardless. He's done a lot to repair his reputation as a player, he'll probably find interested parties around the league willing to pay decent money.

I think if Staal isn't interested in sticking around with the new GM and new plan, we'll know this summer and can explore trade options from July through February. I'm not too concerned about Staal screwing us over.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Wonder what the new GMs plan is going to be. If the plan is the rebuild wonder if the vets would want to go to a contender?

Would be bold to see them deal Suter, Parise, Dubnyk, and Staal. Likely not enough to make them a bottom five team though.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I think if Staal isn't interested in sticking around with the new GM and new plan, we'll know this summer and can explore trade options from July through February. I'm not too concerned about Staal screwing us over.

yeah i didn't mean to imply Staal would try to hold us over a barrel or anything. And i honestly wouldn't blame the GM in this instance for "not getting a deal done" because for a player in Staal's circumstances you have to think he'll be looking for a contract with some probably poor value years built in the end and a new GM with new vision will probably not be too keen to ink something like that.

Assuming Staal will want a longer contract, and that Leipold's goal will be to stay in the playoffs:

Will that be a non-starter for the new GM as he morphs the roster to his liking? If yes, will it still be worth it to keep him on the roster to start the year given his importance to our playoff hopes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad