Proposal: Wild blow up the entire team?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Despite the thread title, I don't think many Wild fans are looking to blow up the team. The owner obviously isn't.

I don't think they should either, just stating perhaps the only reasonable way to do it. Not sure what they need to do to contend though, I think they are quite a bit off.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Flyers should have interest in one of Coyle / Zucker / Nino. As well as Brodin if he became available.
Am I right in thinking that the Flyers would mostly be looking to move defense prospects for those guys? Because that'd be a problem. Or might be, anyway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Injuries did us in this year. Jake Allen did us in last year. Injuries again the year before that. Then Blackhawks, Blackhawks, Blackhawks... There's been something every year and that's not going change in the future; we have to be good enough to push through that stuff and we haven't been. Last year was the closest we've ever come to everything going right, and all it took to stop us was a hot goalie that many Blues fans want to see the back of 12 months later. The guys that needed to step up haven't for multiple years in a row now.

And this is beside the point because a rebuild isn't happening right now, but what is it about Parise and Suter that prevents a GM from blowing the team up?

For most teams, there's always going to be something every year but to say that's not going to change in the future is false. There's always turnover. The Blackhawks weren't there this year. Jake Allen wasn't there this year. Injuries are a common reason for certain teams not performing well in the playoffs. It's just a reality you have to deal with in a league that is very competitive like the NHL is. You can't just dismiss it. You can't just will it away and expect to get through it. Practically every team would suffer the same fate as the Wild if they lost their #1 defenseman. The only real exception to this was the 2016 Penguins because they had three lines that had a gamebreaker on it. That's not something every team can pull off.

The only real answer for the Wild is to bring in more talent and do so as efficiently with their cap space as they can. That means they can't afford to have contracts like Tyler Ennis. From my outside perspective, I see an open 3C spot going forward since Matt Cullen can't play there forever and he didn't really make his wingers productive for that role. They became pretty thin on the blue line after losing Scandella and it was exacerbated by the loss of Suter. You need two lines to work in the playoffs at least to win and it can't always be your top two lines. And you need to be able to match blue line depth of your likely playoff competitors. Wild have a very comparable top four when they're healthy to most teams in the playoffs. But they played a team that was always going to have one of Trouba, Byfuglien, or Myers on the ice at all times. The Wild can't match that right now. I agree that there are certain guys that need to step up that haven't like Staal, Coyle, Niederreiter, and Zucker and you could probably move on from any of them except for probably Staal and bring in someone comparable and be alright but they should be adding before they consider that.

To answer your question, they have seven years at 7.5 million with a full NMC. The way their contracts are structured, buying them out is not really an option because they would have three years of a 7+ million cap hit. If they're open to a trade then they could be moved that way but I don't think Parise is going to have any suitors out there with his recent history to go with that contract. Suter probably could be moved but there's no reason to because he's working out still.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Am I right in thinking that the Flyers would mostly be looking to move defense prospects for those guys? Because that'd be a problem. Or might be, anyway.

I’m really not sure what Hextall would be thinking.

We potentially have 2 firsts and have a pipeline already that seems to be progressing nicely.

I’d imagine the only untouchables would be Provo, Couts after this season and obviously Giroux.

I feel a big move will be coming on the usual day that big moves happen for this franchise. Whether it be another trade or a coach firing or something of the sort.

I’m not sure what you guys would mainly be looking for, but the premise is we are likely moving Simmonds. Not saying he would be a Minnesota target, but I really feel after he is going to be dealt.

But I still think Wayne has value to the right team, it may not be what some fans on here expect but I think he can command a nice deal.

So we could have pieces, it’s just about what direction he can go.

Figuring...

Giroux / Couturier / TK or xxxx
Xxx or Raffl / Patrick / Voracek
Raffl or xxx/ Laughton / Simmonds or xxx
Then whatever fourth line Hakstol would like to run with.

Ghost / Provo / farmer / gudas / Sanheim / Morin or something. Hopefully Hagg and Manning are vanished into the sun. Brodin would go along way to stabilizing the top 4.

I’m just really not sure what Hextall would be willing to move.

What would the ask you think?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For most teams, there's always going to be something every year but to say that's not going to change in the future is false. There's always turnover. The Blackhawks weren't there this year. Jake Allen wasn't there this year. Injuries are a common reason for certain teams not performing well in the playoffs. It's just a reality you have to deal with in a league that is very competitive like the NHL is. You can't just dismiss it. You can't just will it away and expect to get through it. Practically every team would suffer the same fate as the Wild if they lost their #1 defenseman. The only real exception to this was the 2016 Penguins because they had three lines that had a gamebreaker on it. That's not something every team can pull off.

The only real answer for the Wild is to bring in more talent and do so as efficiently with their cap space as they can. That means they can't afford to have contracts like Tyler Ennis. From my outside perspective, I see an open 3C spot going forward since Matt Cullen can't play there forever and he didn't really make his wingers productive for that role. They became pretty thin on the blue line after losing Scandella and it was exacerbated by the loss of Suter. You need two lines to work in the playoffs at least to win and it can't always be your top two lines. And you need to be able to match blue line depth of your likely playoff competitors. Wild have a very comparable top four when they're healthy to most teams in the playoffs. But they played a team that was always going to have one of Trouba, Byfuglien, or Myers on the ice at all times. The Wild can't match that right now. I agree that there are certain guys that need to step up that haven't like Staal, Coyle, Niederreiter, and Zucker and you could probably move on from any of them except for probably Staal and bring in someone comparable and be alright but they should be adding before they consider that.

To answer your question, they have seven years at 7.5 million with a full NMC. The way their contracts are structured, buying them out is not really an option because they would have three years of a 7+ million cap hit. If they're open to a trade then they could be moved that way but I don't think Parise is going to have any suitors out there with his recent history to go with that contract. Suter probably could be moved but there's no reason to because he's working out still.
I think most of us expected that we wouldn't get past the 1st round without Suter. I don't think many of us expected to go down with as little of a fight as we ended up showing. I think it's fair to say that our defense really wasn't the weak link against Winnipeg. Soucy was about as shakey as you'd expect from a guy with like 5 NHL games under his belt and Brodin-Dumba looked overwhelmed at times, but overall it was the forwards that didn't show much in that series. That's a concern, and it goes back far beyond this season.

For Suter and Parise: I get why they're likely in Minnesota for the duration of their contracts. What I don't understand is why that precludes "blowing up" the team. They're 2 guys on a 23 man roster. If the goal of a tear-down is to move as many guys as possible for draft picks and prospects, you could still pretty easily trade Staal, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Brodin, and Spurgeon for them. Granlund and Dumba too, if you really wanted to strip it down to bare metal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think most of us expected that we wouldn't get past the 1st round without Suter. I don't think many of us expected to go down with as little of a fight as we ended up showing. I think it's fair to say that our defense really wasn't the weak link against Winnipeg. Soucy was about as shakey as you'd expect from a guy with like 5 NHL games under his belt and Brodin-Dumba looked overwhelmed at times, but overall it was the forwards that didn't show much in that series. That's a concern, and it goes back far beyond this season.

For Suter and Parise: I get why they're likely in Minnesota for the duration of their contracts. What I don't understand is why that precludes "blowing up" the team. They're 2 guys on a 23 man roster. If the goal of a tear-down is to move as many guys as possible for draft picks and prospects, you could still pretty easily trade Staal, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Brodin, and Spurgeon for them. Granlund and Dumba too, if you really wanted to strip it down to bare metal.

Well, they were playing a much better team given the context so that tends to happen when you're on the wrong end of that equation. As for Suter and Parise, it doesn't preclude them from blowing up the team but it makes it difficult to do a legitimate rebuild because it involves going for draft picks and losing a lot. Suter and Parise may only be two but when they're in the lineup, they're enough to win games just enough to be mediocre instead of just flat bad that you need to be to legitimately rebuild. But no team is going to rebuild or retool by moving that many players in one off-season. And you become a tough sell as a franchise when you go all Florida Marlins on your team. It's not a sound business decision just as much as it's not a sound decision trying to move towards a Cup in their situation, imo.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

We potentially have 2 firsts and have a pipeline already that seems to be progressing nicely.

I’d imagine the only untouchables would be Provo, Couts after this season and obviously Giroux.

I feel a big move will be coming on the usual day that big moves happen for this franchise. Whether it be another trade or a coach firing or something of the sort.

I’m not sure what you guys would mainly be looking for, but the premise is we are likely moving Simmonds. Not saying he would be a Minnesota target, but I really feel after he is going to be dealt.

But I still think Wayne has value to the right team, it may not be what some fans on here expect but I think he can command a nice deal.

Figuring...

Ghost / Provo / farmer / gudas / Sanheim / Morin or something. Hopefully Hagg and Manning are vanished into the sun. Brodin would go along way to stabilizing the top 4.

Konecny would be the target if anyone of the main pieces is moved.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Figuring...

A lot's obviously up in the air without a GM right now, but I think most Wild fans are looking for younger forwards with high upside. Probably guys that haven't really broken out yet, but are at least ready to play in the NHL. Obviously that's a tricky target for numerous reasons.

I think the overall age of the team is a concern for most of us, so I don't think Simmonds would be a target.

I think draft picks and prospects would also be a harder sell for guys like Brodin, Coyle, etc., but obviously that changes if the pick/upside is high enough.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, they were playing a much better team given the context so that tends to happen when you're on the wrong end of that equation. As for Suter and Parise, it doesn't preclude them from blowing up the team but it makes it difficult to do a legitimate rebuild because it involves going for draft picks and losing a lot. Suter and Parise may only be two but when they're in the lineup, they're enough to win games just enough to be mediocre instead of just flat bad that you need to be to legitimately rebuild. But no team is going to rebuild or retool by moving that many players in one off-season. And you become a tough sell as a franchise when you go all Florida Marlins on your team. It's not a sound business decision just as much as it's not a sound decision trying to move towards a Cup in their situation, imo.
Gotcha. It does make it more difficult because we'd have a harder time moving some of the vets for younger players instead of raw futures, I agree with that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's the name I had in mind, too. I figure that's a pretty hard ask though :laugh:

Absolutely, but these aren't crap pieces we have available, and if the Flyers think they're closer to contending, and a 30+ goal Zucker or a stabilizing presence in Brodin would be better for their cup runs, you gotta make the tough asks.

Reactions: Bazeek

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What would it take to bring Eric Staal to Toronto?

Matthews Kadri Staal down the middle would be disgusting

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Considering age, and contract status, I'd think that we'd add to Staal for Nylander, and probably fairly heavily.

Yeah as a Canes fan I can honestly say that letting Eric walk was a big miss. Still haven't recovered from it TBH.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Considering age, and contract status, I'd think that we'd add to Staal for Nylander, and probably fairly heavily.

I think if you find the right team, someone will pay value similar to Nylander for Staal. Toronto isn't the right team though. Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington(?), Tampa, Boston. Those would probably the the right teams.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I think if you find the right team, someone will pay value similar to Nylander for Staal. Toronto isn't the right team though. Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington(?), Tampa, Boston. Those would probably the the right teams.

OR Carolina.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Unfortunately, Granlund is near impossible to replace for the Wild. We just don't have any really good setup men beside him, and he's the best on the team at entering the Ozone on the PP, also. I'm getting fond of the little feller...he and his Finnish Fanbois used to bug the crap outta me.

:heart::5::dainty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad